Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 New Nightmare 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
B 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

New Nightmare 
College Boy Z

Post New Nightmare
New Nightmare

Quote:
Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a 1994 horror metafilm written and directed by Wes Craven. Although it is the seventh installment of the Nightmare on Elm Street series, it is not part of the series continuity, instead portraying Freddy Krueger as a fictional movie villain who invades the real world and haunts the cast and crew responsible for his films. In this film, Freddy is depicted as closer to what Craven originally intended, being more menacing and less comical, with a greatly updated attire and appearance.

The film features various people involved in the motion picture industry playing themselves, including actress Heather Langenkamp who is compelled by events in the narrative to reprise her role as Nancy Thompson. New Nightmare features several homages to the original film.

One of the better films in the series, IMO.

A-

Last edited by zingy on Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:57 pm
Teenage Dream

Second best in the series. Craven's return as director is welcome. Extremely stylish and dark, with a revamped Freddy that is more frightening than ever before (love the trench coat). Intricate plot involving multipile realities and film within a film happenings is a lot of fun. This was one of the few horror films to ever play well at art house venues and film festivals, and there's a reason why. It's not just an accomplished horror film, it's an accomplished film.

A-

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 pm
You must have big rats

I get what Wes Craven was trying to do and what he did was rather bold and daring. I applaud him from that, but in my opion, it was a failure. The movie never managed to engage me and I think that the idea of bringing this whole thing to a new reality level just didn't play out as well, as it should have. Now Englund is as good as ever in this one and sometimes even better, but I never felt that the movie was creepy or scary like the first film, nor was it cheesy fun like most of the sequels. I think during the entire film Freddy kills just two people. The movie was really a good idea with some nice reality twisting, but in the end it really failed to excite me at all.

PS: Where is the F-option here?

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

PS: Where is the F-option here?

You're not allowed to vote F for this film.

Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:20 am
Extraordinary

My favorite film in the series and one of my top five favorite horror films of all time.

A

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:28 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Good execution and an interesting plot prevents this from being too abstract. I think the concept of bringing Freddie in to the "real" world was an interesting idea and worked for the most part, but it did have its flaws. The first portion of the film was very slow and the buildup had some pacing issues but those were mostly resolved towards the end. B

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:04 am
You must have big rats

I really feel like a black sheep here because I must be one of the only horror fans who doesn't like this film.

Though it seems Terminator1997 voted a C for it as well...

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I really feel like a black sheep here because I must be one of the only horror fans who doesn't like this film.

Actually I kind of agree.

While the idea is great the execution isn't, the direction is awful as is Langenkamp. The biggest failure is the acting is so bad that they never sold me on the "reality". I saw this around 2000, not at the time, by then it was already pretty dated, so my perspective may be different from someone who saw this closer to it's 1994 release date, but even 6 years later it STILL felt extremely dated.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The second best of the series, not far behind the original, craven makes freddy scary and the image of evil again, this is one of the 10 best horror films i have seen.

****/****( an A)

Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:23 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Actually I kind of agree.

While the idea is great the execution isn't, the direction is awful as is Langenkamp. The biggest failure is the acting is so bad that they never sold me on the "reality". I saw this around 2000, not at the time, by then it was already pretty dated, so my perspective may be different from someone who saw this closer to it's 1994 release date, but even 6 years later it STILL felt extremely dated.

I guess I didn't mind the acting so much as the series wasn't exactly famous for having great acting now was it?

For me what really brought it down was the plodding first portion and then the final sequence where it got a bit to surreal.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:16 am
Mod Team Leader

I love horror movies. I love being scared and I love the fact that a movie (something make believe that I, as an intelligent person,knows is just images projected from a screen ) can manipulate my emotions and make me nervous. This is one of those movies. And in the 90's, there have only been two movies that have actually made me nervous in some scenes. And those two movies are by Craven himself---Scream and this one.

When this film first came out, it was ten years and six films after the original. I have seen all the Freddy movies more out of morbid curiosity than out of interest. And maybe a part of me was hoping to catch a glimpse of what made the first so damn scary. And time and time again I was disappointed. But when I read in Fangoria magazine that this new one was going to be directed by Craven, I got very excited. Could it possibly be that this film would go back to it's roots?

Yes, it did.

There is no two ways about it, Craven cares about Freddy. He cares about how he was supposed to be, not what he has turned into in the last decade. Freddy was not even remotely funny in the first one. He was a brutal, maniacal, sadistic, bent on revenge murderer. He wanted to slice Nancy in two and he did that to Tina ( actually sliceher into many pieces ). But in the mindless sequels to come, he became Eddie Murphy. And there was nothing frightening about the sequels. They made money but they weren't true horror films. But this one, well this one goes back to it's roots and is almost as scary as the first one.

This story is about the film character of Freddy becoming real somehow. He has been a part of Lagenkamp, Saxon, Craven and Englund's life for so long that he has somehow become real. And now what was once a simple film character actually haunts the cast of the original. We even get to see Rod ( Tina's boyfriend from the original ) at one of the funerals. And what makes the story scary is that now Freddy has decided to come after Heather's kid.

This film goes back to all the techniques that made the first a classic. There is excellent direction to make us fear what is under the bed. The lighting is classic horror film lighting and the music is perfect. There is however one complaint that I have and that is when Freddy is chasing the kid across the road. He has become larger than life. He is like the Stay Puft marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. And that it seems is much more like the other Nightmares, not Craven's version. And that takes away the delight in watching what was otherwise a perfect horror film.

I said in one of my reviews of a horror film that there are no films in the 90's that are truly scary. However this one is as close to an 80's horror flick as you will get now a days. It is very frightening and it is almost a prequel to Scream. This is one film that should not be missed. It is a tribute to what scary films are supposed to be. If I want to laugh I'll see Chris Rock, but if I want to be scared, Craven is the man!

Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:02 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Wes Craven's New Nightmare
*bump*

Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

A.

I love this film.

At the time, it actually scared me again, despite the shit sequels before it (apart from 2 & 3.)

I watched it again last week. and the acting is pretty laughable. But i still love it.

Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:26 pm
Wallflower

After the original, this is the best in the series. An awesome, inventive way to bring back and cap off a series that had seemed to have run its course.

8/10 (A-)

Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:57 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I like it a lot, but it's really more of a clever idea. Freddy looks awful in it though, he just looks fake as hell, though I agree its one of the best horror sequels certainly. Englund was awesome as always. Watching Craven try to act is pretty funny too.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]