Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 To Kill a Mockingbird 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

To Kill a Mockingbird 
College Boy Z

Post To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird

Quote:
To Kill a Mockingbird is a 1962 American drama film adaptation of Harper Lee's novel of the same name directed by Robert Mulligan. It stars Mary Badham in the role of Scout and Gregory Peck in the role of Atticus Finch.

In 1995, the film was listed in the National Film Registry. It also ranks twenty-fifth on the American Film Institute's 10th anniversary list of the greatest American movies of all time. In 2003, AFI named Atticus Finch the greatest movie hero of the 20th century.

To Kill a Mockingbird marks the film debuts of Robert Duvall, William Windom, and Alice Ghostley.

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:45 pm
Sbil

A

Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:53 pm
Superfreak

if someone votes below n a their on mad crack. this is greg pecks signiture films. amazing...and im waiting for the remake....

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:12 pm
Cream of the Crop

Well, at least it seems thus far all of us are clean... LOL

This movie is BRILLIANT. One of the best in the entire 100+ years of filmmaking.

Joy

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Overrated. Yes, I just went there. It just seemed rather dated and now ordinary to me. I'm sure it's issues stirred up a shitstorm back then, but for enjoyment and entertainment in this day and age? Nah. Peck is rather annoying in the film, I really don't like his big booming voice. One bright spot though is Bedham, who I can say gives one of the best child performances that I've ever seen.

Anyways, as if all this wasn't enough, I had just finished reading the book before I saw the movie, and let me tell you...It didn't help. The adapting itself is one of the most uninspired and lazy jobs that I've ever seen. I can understand being faithful, but they take it way too far. Physically, almost all the lines in the film are directly taken from the text dialouge. This is particularily evident in the courtroom scene, where it goes on for 25 minutes straight 100% reading from the book. There's barely a single line in there that is not lifted word for word from the book. I think Atticus throws a cup at one point to prove Tom's handicap, but that's all I can remember being original.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:06 pm
Sbil

C+

Overrated. Yes, I just went there. It just seemed rather dated and now ordinary to me. I'm sure it's issues stirred up a shitstorm back then, but for enjoyment and entertainment in this day and age? Nah. Peck is rather annoying in the film, I really don't like his big booming voice. One bright spot though is Bedham, who I can say gives one of the best child performances that I've ever seen.

Anyways, as if all this wasn't enough, I had just finished reading the book before I saw the movie, and let me tell you...It didn't help. The adapting itself is one of the most uninspired and lazy jobs that I've ever seen. I can understand being faithful, but they take it way too far. Physically, almost all the lines in the film are directly taken from the text dialouge. This is particularily evident in the courtroom scene, where it goes on for 25 minutes straight 100% reading from the book. There's barely a single line in there that is not lifted word for word from the book. I think Atticus throws a cup at one point to prove Tom's handicap, but that's all I can remember being original.

Get out.

It's bad because it's dated and ordinary NOW? What a ridiculous criticism.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:53 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Great Book / Great Movie / Great Georgory Peck Performance plus others

Also for anyone who saw Capote, there are Harper Lee tie ins to Kill a Mockingbird.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Shack wrote:
C+

Get out.

It's bad because it's dated and ordinary NOW? What a ridiculous criticism.

I haven't seen the film, so I won't judge it, but IF it is really dated and IF it does seem ordinary then it is fair criticism. I don't buy into the crap of "Oh this film was so great in its time!" that is usually said when I claim my dislike for The Exorcist. Films that can stand the test of time are the ones that deserve the praise, not those that used to be excellent in a certain time period.

That said, I haven't seen it, so maybe it is not dated and ordinary now...

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:32 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
C+

- Big deal that the issue is dated - well what do you expect as it was made 50 years ago > what was important back then wouldn't be now.

- Peck is annoying - OK, if you say so - but I will go with most people who rated Peck as one of the greatest actors ever and this one of the best roles ever.

- And in ending as you are bitching that it was straight out of the book > who cares if it was - it was a prized book and movie with most people except you - so they kept it very faithful to the book.

- and yes, this is no One Tree Hill. Thank God.

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

One of the many reasons why Gregory Peck rocked. It's just a beautiful, poetic, and eloquent movie.

A

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

One of the many reasons why Gregory Peck rocked. It's just a beautiful, poetic, and eloquent movie.

A

and that is what people miss when they complain about movies being outdated.

There are other parts of the movie to still appreciate.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: To Kill a Mockingbird
Yes really the greatness of Peck and how he seems to be a man of a such a grand stature really makes you go "woh" even today. Especially the scene where he walks out of the courtroom and all of the Black people stand up to pay respect...

A powerful scene with many other scenes and it would be better in Colour but oh well.

A-

Mon May 26, 2008 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Post Re:
Shack wrote:
C+

quit lying.

A

Tue May 27, 2008 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]