Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Last Kiss 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 45%  45%  [ 9 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
D 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 20

The Last Kiss 
Sbil

Post The Last Kiss
The Last Kiss

Quote:
The Last Kiss is a 2006 American romantic comedy-drama film which is based on the 2001 Italian film L'ultimo bacio, directed by Gabriele Muccino. The plot revolves around a young couple and their friends struggling with adulthood and issues of relationships and commitment.

The film stars Zach Braff, Jacinda Barrett, Rachel Bilson and Casey Affleck. The screenplay was written by Paul Haggis and Zach Braff, and directed by Tony Goldwyn.

Much of the movie was filmed in and around Madison, WI. As with Garden State, Braff was involved with the film's soundtrack. The first teaser trailer was released at Zack Braff's official website in mid-June 2006.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:30 pm
This is a tough one to grade. The last 20 minutes or so are the only compelling moments of the entire film, very compelling actually. Everything else had a been there, been done better before feel to it. Not horrible, just unoriginal. And inauthentic. Not sure when Haggis wrote this but it comes across as a stage reading.

Older couple shows their wisdom and weakness to a younger couple. Check
Someone dies. Check
Random nudity and sex scenes. Check
A "meet cute" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_cute) at a wedding. Check
Wacky Friend. Check
Someone is employed as an architect. Check

The following films which also explore the complications of relationships are better than The Last Kiss. I'd suggest rewatching them (or watch them for the first time) instead of watching The Last Kiss.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Garden State
Before Sunrise/Sunset
Playing By Heart
High Fidelity
Annie Hall
Beautiful Girls
Chasing Amy
Big Chill
Singles
Notting Hill
Say Anything
Good Will Hunting
The Brothers McMullen
Punch-Drunk Love
Lost in Translation

The Last Kiss gets a C based on the third act.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:38 pm
Kypade

An obvious comparision, rather taking advantage of his audience, even, but a humorous read none-the-less:
http://www.brianmpalmer.com/blog/2006/0 ... gardening/

That posted, I really enjoyed it. Sure, it's kinda broad and basic, but Zach Braff is great at this character, and personally, I think it did a wonderful job at portraying an array of human emotion. The relationship between the parents and the daughter/her boyfriend, especially towards the end, was incredibly realisitic.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:43 pm
htm

Too formulaic and predictable. I wasn't very moved. Very, very been there, done that feel. Still one of the *better* entries into the genre. I'm tossed between B- and B.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:45 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I agree with the above comments. Formulaic, unoriginal, and dissapointing. It was still a good film but just not as good as it could have or should have been. More thoughts later. B

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:02 am
Superman: The Movie

Too formulaic and predictable. I wasn't very moved. Very, very been there, done that feel. Still one of the *better* entries into the genre. I'm tossed between B- and B.

Pretty much exactly what I thought. There were a couple of times during the film were I just thought everyone should grow a pair and everything would be over and done with. That aside, I still liked it.

B-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'd see this just because Rachel Bilson is f'in adorable, easily one of the most attractive actresses out there.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:03 am
I'd see this just because Rachel Bilson is f'in adorable, easily one of the most attractive actresses out there.

She wasn't very cute in it.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:12 am
Kypade

she kept reminding me of one of those 15 yr old disney stars. i can't place which one, but most of the time, i would have honestly thought that's who she was.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:14 pm
Sbil

The Last Kiss has some flaws, but it is blessed with a strong screenplay, some wonderful performances, and one important thing: three-dimensional, flawed characters. These characters may not all be the most likeable people, but their actions and behavior is easy to relate to in a lot of cases. Zach Braff is solid (although I was more impressed by him in Garden State), but he is outacted at every turn by Jacinda Barrett. Barrett is top-notch and the most believable/relatable character in the film as Jenna. Tom Wilkinson and Blythe Danner are also wonderful as Jenna's parents, bringing grace and heartbreak to a long-married couple experiencing a crisis, while Rachel Bilson is appealing as energetic, sweet college student Kim. Subplots with some of Braff's friends, including Casey Affleck, also surprisingly ring true. Direction by Tony Goldwyn is very good, and the soundtrack (hello, Snow Patrol!) is almost as good as Garden State. B+

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

LOVED it. Jacinda Barrett was phenomenal.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:01 pm
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

Kim, I have something to tell you... and since this is a Paul Haggis screenplay, I'll drill it right into your fucking skull with all the subtlety of a jackhammer to the face.

One of the very worst films I've seen all year. I never thought a film could be more hamfisted and in your face than Haggis' previous magnum-opus, Crash, but wowzers... The Last Kiss topped it!

Not only is every character a completely detestable human being that you wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, not only is it one of the most amateurish looking films I've seen all year (there were some camera placements in this film that had me scratching my head, and not in a good way), but it's also dull as dishwater and completely lifeless. Throw in Haggis' now trademark writing style of "OMG I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO THAT BECAUSE THATS HOW WE ALL FEEL RIGHT", and you've got a real winner.

I'll throw it a half of star for some kinda funny moments and a decent soundtrack.

1/2*/****

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:15 am
Kim, I have something to tell you... and since this is a Paul Haggis screenplay, I'll drill it right into your fucking skull with all the subtlety of a jackhammer to the face.

One of the very worst films I've seen all year. I never thought a film could be more hamfisted and in your face than Haggis' previous magnum-opus, Crash, but wowzers... The Last Kiss topped it!

Not only is every character a completely detestable human being that you wouldn't piss on if they were on fire, not only is it one of the most amateurish looking films I've seen all year (there were some camera placements in this film that had me scratching my head, and not in a good way), but it's also dull as dishwater and completely lifeless. Throw in Haggis' now trademark writing style of "OMG I CAN TOTALLY RELATE TO THAT BECAUSE THATS HOW WE ALL FEEL RIGHT", and you've got a real winner.

I'll throw it a half of star for some kinda funny moments and a decent soundtrack.

1/2*/****

you're awesome.

I didnt think it was as bad. But strangely enough, all the problems I had were with the screenplay.

I wonder?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:25 am
htm

Of course the screenplay was weak. As soon as I saw Haggis' name I feared for the worst. :lol: The acting and soundtrack saves it from being much, much worse. I still thought it was solid, though closer to B- than B.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:09 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I anticipated this movie SOOOO much this year. And I found out Haggis wrote it and I worried a little.

But while I was watching it, I looked past that fact. It was a very good film.

While it wasn't NEAR as good as Garden State, it still did it's job.

9.0/10 A-

But then again... I'm a sucker for Zach Braff...

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:41 pm
King Albert!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Wow, this wasn't what I was expecting at all. I was expecting a drama, with a lot of comedic moments in it, and this isn't one of this. This is a depressing, realistic (to a certain extent) film looking at adult relationships. The performances here are amazing, and certainly make the movie. Jacinda Barrett is the main standout here. She gives one of the best (lead or supporting..not sure) performances of the year. Her performances at times brought some tears to my eyes. Rachel Bilson is surprisingly great in her small supporting role as well, and I really felt bad for her in the end. Blythe Danner turned out a wonderful performance, while I didn't agree with everything she did on (or off) screen, I loved her character, and was glad to see she had a decent amount of time in the film. The guys don't give performances as strong, Zach Braff is good, but hardly impressive. He was better in 2004's GARDEN STATE. Casey Affleck is good as well. It was also nice to see Lauren Lee Smith in a small role. Now the biggest problem I had with the film was it's script, which isn't surprisingly since it's written by Paul Haggis. It's filled to the brim with cliche after cliche, and that is the only reason I found some of the actions unbelievable. I also loved the ending, but I would've loved it even more if it was left open ended (the first shot of Braff sitting outside the door would've been amazing). Despite some problems with the script, I can definitely recommend THE LAST KISS. I'm glad I didn't see it on a date though, I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be. I actually feel bad for the people that saw it on a date, I seriously think it would be uncomfortable, and at times I'd probably squirm in my seat.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

It sort of worked as a sitcom in certain areas, but faltered in most others. The couple with the baby, pussy-father, and permanent PMSing wife were completely unneccessary, since we didn't get to know them prior to enduring their screaming fits, therefore that plot went nowhere. The conversations between some of the characters felt completely contrived and in-organic at times. Paltrow's character went insane for a reason we were barely even clued in on. etc. And I can probably go on and on...

C-

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:55 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

A nice little movie. Like almost everyone else already said it's doesn't come close to Garden State but I still liked it a lot. I thought some of the scenes were pretty intense. Braff slowly becomes one of my favorite actors and I thought he gave a very good performance here. Bilson was extremely cute and I felt bad for her at the end. B

Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:17 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's almost the end of the year and this is still on my top ten list. This movie is so underrated! I can't wait to buy it on Tuesday and watch it again.

Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:25 am
Profile YIM
Indiana Jones IV

Good movie I thought, was not to fond of the ending though, but great acting I thought. B+/B

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

Despite a conventional script with unsurprising characters and dilemmas, it actually felt fairly fresh to me. There's very much that "voice of a generation" thing going on with the whole thing, which both Haggis (in his script writing) and Braff (in his film choices thus far) seem to have stumbled into in their careers, but I don't think it's ever that overt; there's a lot of ambiguity, ultimately.

Good acting, soundtrack's good. I'll go with a B.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

zennier wrote:

Pretty much exactly what I thought. There were a couple of times during the film were I just thought everyone should grow a pair and everything would be over and done with. That aside, I still liked it.

B-

I feel the same way as well. Still though, there were some great moments and everyone involved did a decent job. The first 20 and the last 20 or so minutes were the best.

B

Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:53 pm
Profile YIM

1/2*/****

I miss you, oh how I miss you...

Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:27 pm
Extraordinary

I was dissapointed. Overall, it's pretty forgettable. Acting's good, though.

B-.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next