Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Underworld: Evolution 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 6 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 27

College Boy Z

Post Underworld: Evolution

Quote:
Underworld: Evolution (also known as Underworld 2) is the second installment (chronologically, the third) in the Underworld series, following Underworld in 2003. Evolution continues the feud between Vampires and Lycans, but highlights glimpses of their origins some centuries ago.

The film is an immediate follow-up to Underworld. Therefore, the events of Evolution begin during the same night of the first film's finale, and ends only one night later. It has several more constructive plot elements than its predecessor.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:09 pm
Extraordinary

It's definitely an improvement over the first one. Much more fun. I was thinking of docking the grade a bit because they chickened out of a pretty cool second act twist, but the audience-friendly finale made up for it. I'm also damn glad I watched the first film today for the fist time in two years -- this is a direct sequel in the same way Halloween II was, picking up only an hour or two after Underworld and continuing all of its plotlines.

There are a few too many flashbacks to the first. A good ten minutes of the film's 105 minute runtime is recycled footage from Underworld.

(For comparison's sake, I'd rate the original movie a C+)

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 am
College Boy Z

Loved it. Better than the original in all aspects except style, really. They spent too much time with the flashbacks, but the non-stop action from that point until the end makes up for it.

A-

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:00 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Can't wait to see this. Good to see the first reviews are positive. Zing, is that an actual poster or some photoshop jobby?(your avitar) :shades:

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:49 am
College Boy Z

Can't wait to see this. Good to see the first reviews are positive. Zing, is that an actual poster or some photoshop jobby?(your avitar) :shades:

Actual.

http://www.impawards.com/2006/underworl ... _ver2.html

Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:54 am
Extraordinary

I'll say one thing my viewings of Underworld and Underworld: Evolution have reitereated to me today: Kate Beckinsale is gorgeous.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:01 am
College Boy Z

I'll say one thing my viewings of Underworld and Underworld: Evolution have reitereated to me today: Kate Beckinsale is gorgeous.

Ditto.

I watched Underworld right before I left. I liked how Evolution just continued right from where the original left off. And, yeah, I was kinda surprised about the sex scene and all, but that might have been because I was sitting next to a 7-year-old.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:08 am
Extraordinary

I laughed at the sex scene -- namely Michael unzipping her leather cat-suit. Bet they never figured they'd have to show her getting out of it when they designed the costume for Underworld.

Still though, with the position they were in... and as a completely heterosexual guy, I know I should've been looking at Beckinsale, but... where was Michael's penis? The guy was a good foot away from her on top. Either he doesn't have one, or it's so small the camera didn't pick up on it!

Ah, the curse of being a Hybrid...

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:16 am
Commander and Chef

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:45 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

any boobies?

Not Beckinsale. Just random chicks. :smile:

Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:44 pm
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:
any boobies?

Not Beckinsale. Just random chicks. :smile:

great success

Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

any boobies?

As Mr. Smithers said...

:shock:

Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:39 pm
Homo Dperious

I posted this in the crowd report thread:

Quote:
I liked the movie, and it's certainly better then the first one. It was great to see it pick up right from the original, and I loved the way the story developed. That's a strength it not only shared with the original, but it actually outdid it in that regard. It was suspenseful and had me guessing more then any movie, man, I'd like to say in at least a couple years. The thing was, everything was up in the air, everything you thought you knew from the original was suddenly in doubt, and it seemed anything could happen. At one point I was seriously thinking of this as one of the best action movies of all time. I had gone in expecting the average action sequel. Most of the film surprised me by being anything but. The finale though was exactly what I had originally been expecting. I can't blame the movie for being better then I expected for 80% of its length, but I can't help but feel it could have really be something special. In any case, the action was great all the way through; certainly better then anything from last year. It's just generally extremely well made; it's a great piece of entertainment.

7.7/10
A-

Well, spoilers here:

I didn't like to see Michael brought back from the dead, and the finale had the typical fight with the bad guys in which they of course die after seeming to have the advantage for a while. That was all very standard for an action flick, and I was disappointed that new developments in the story were not revealed through the end of the film as was the case with the original. Still, the rest of the film more then makes up for it as the story, or specifically the history of the two species, is developed in ways you never could have guessed. There are a number of great moments: Alexander's death, Michael's apparent death, Craven's death, the moment Marcus questions Selene in the forest, and when Alexander's identity is revealed. The action is great throughout; better IMO then anything released since 2004.

Last edited by DP07 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:41 pm
Profile ICQ
problem?

Ididn'tlikeUnderworld,didn'tlikeEvolutioneither.Wasn'tabadmovie,ithaditsmoments, itjustwasn'tverygood.

Andthatsexscenewasjustweird. :|

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:46 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

A dissapointment considering the first was very entertaining. This one, not so much. The sex scene was hillariously bad. There were numerous plot holes, mediocre writing, a confusing storyline and weak performances. The effects were decent, nothing special, and certainly nothing we haven't seen before.

B-

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:09 am
Romosexual!

i liked the movie :) better than the first.
i'd like to see another sequel made.

B

was that masking tape on her breast i saw during the sex scene? :blink:

Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:55 am
Orphan

i liked the movie :) better than the first.
i'd like to see another sequel made.

B

was that masking tape on her breast i saw during the sex scene? :blink:

I'm not sure but I found it odd that we never are actually shown them despite them being seemingly in plain sight. Damn modesty, damn it to hell :tongue:

Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:34 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Meh.

A dissapointment considering the first was very entertaining. This one, not so much. The sex scene was hillariously bad. There were numerous plot holes, mediocre writing, a confusing storyline and weak performances. The effects were decent, nothing special, and certainly nothing we haven't seen before.

B-

For a guy who just trashed this movie in your review of it, you were pretty kind in the grade you gave it for a movie that sucked, wouldn't you say??? :-k

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:07 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

By the way, I noticed that this movie is Rated R and not PG-13 which I thought it was.. Does this movie deserve the R-Rating it received?? Was it really gory to warrant this rating or is the studio simply staying within the rating like the 1st film had???

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:09 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

By the way, I noticed that this movie is Rated R and not PG-13 which I thought it was.. Does this movie deserve the R-Rating it received?? Was it really gory to warrant this rating or is the studio simply staying within the rating like the 1st film had???

It's R-rated material.

Lots of blood, gore, and nudity (and an interesting sex scene) secure this rating.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:18 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Jeff(S). wrote:
Meh.

B-

For a guy who just trashed this movie in your review of it, you were pretty kind in the grade you gave it for a movie that sucked, wouldn't you say??? :-k

It was enjoyable, if mindless, entertainment.

It wasn't a terrible movies, especially if you don't think about it. If you even try to analyze it, well, it all falls apart.

Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:18 am
Commander and Chef

B

Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:04 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Post Spoilers
so what is the deal for Underworld 3??????????? can anyone confirm what she said?

Didn't Kate say at the end something like .... now we are only half way through our 3 stories and there is more to come.

talk about leaving the door open ............. but she isn't even a vampire any more????????????????

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

If there's a third one, it'll be a prequel.

Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:53 pm
College Boy Z

So, I didn't realize that Beckinsale was married to the director of the film, Len Wiseman. Makes the sex scene between Beckinsale and Speedman even more interesting. Heh.

:smile:

Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next