Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Trois couleurs: Blanc [Three Colours: White] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Trois couleurs: Blanc [Three Colours: White] 
College Boy Z

Post Trois couleurs: Blanc [Three Colours: White]
Three Colors: White

Quote:
Three Colors: White (French: Trois Couleurs: Blanc, Polish: Trzy kolory. Biały) is a 1994 Polish-film co-written, produced, and directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski. White is the second in The Three Colors Trilogy, themed on the French Revolutionary ideals, following Blue and preceding Red.

Starting in Paris, the film depicts Karol Karol, a shy man who, after being left by his wife in humiliating circumstances, loses his money, his residency, and his friends. As a deeply ashamed beggar in Warsaw, Karol begins his effort to restore equality to his life through revenge.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:55 pm
htm

My least favorite of the two I've seen (Blue and White).

I'm usually a huge Deply fan, but she didn't do much for me. Same goes for the rest of the cast. I'd call it a minor disappointment compared to the outstanding Blue. It's still very solid and I suppose I'd recommend it for anyone trying to get the full picture Kieslowski wanted to be seen.

I'd give it a B/B-

Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:04 am
Extraordinary

I was about to say, there's something far less creative about the marital strife and competition that White addresses, than its counterpart colors of the French flag. Kieslowski comes a bit a shy not in execution, but rather illustration. She bickering couple, impotence, hostility and court case that kick off White are treated in a far more mundane manner than death/memory, and alienation/chance that Blue and Red are, respectively.

All the flare, the circle-effect where the couple leaves and returns to the same window, in the same house, is too direct a story of fighting one's way back into the ideal life. I find Delpy's beaten down re-acceptance of her husband to be almost depressing, rather than Binoche's and Jacob's journeys which are uplifting (or barring that, too ambiguous to elicit one single emotion). I find Kieslowski has a tougher time following his male lead than he did his females, perhaps being unable to extract as much from his work, accomplishments, and failures, as he does from his other works.

White is still a tight, beautiful movie, and had it come from some other directors I would have applauded. But given Kieslowski's excellence, its a bit didadctic and formulaic.

B

Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:24 pm
Kypade

i dunno...i prefer it to Red, i think. but really, i love all three more than most other movies ive ever seen, so.

my only real complaint is its not nearly as visual and beautiful as i would have hoped...white is an amazing color, and could have easily been used to far greater effect than was the case here.

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]