Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Pride & Prejudice (1995) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Pride & Prejudice (1995) 
College Boy Z

Post Pride & Prejudice (1995)
Pride & Prejudice

Quote:
Pride and Prejudice is a six-episode 1995 British television drama, adapted by Andrew Davies from Jane Austen's 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice. Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth starred as Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Produced by Sue Birtwistle and directed by Simon Langton, the serial was a BBC production with additional funding from the American A&E Network. BBC One originally broadcast the 55-minute episodes from 24 September to 29 October in 1995. The A&E Network aired the serial in double episodes on three consecutive nights beginning 14 January 1996.

Set in England in the early 19th century, Pride and Prejudice tells the story of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet's (Benjamin Whitrow and Alison Steadman) five unmarried daughters (Susannah Harker, Jennifer Ehle, Lucy Briers, Polly Maberly, Julia Sawalha) after the rich and eligible Mr. Bingley (Crispin Bonham-Carter) and his status-conscious friend, Mr. Darcy, have moved into their neighbourhood. While Bingley takes an immediate liking to the eldest Bennet daughter, Jane, Darcy has difficulty adapting to local society and repeatedly clashes with the second-eldest Bennet daughter, Elizabeth. The New York Times called the adaptation "a witty mix of love stories and social conniving, cleverly wrapped in the ambitions and illusions of a provincial gentry".

Critically acclaimed and a popular success, Pride and Prejudice was honoured with several awards, including a BAFTA Television Award for Jennifer Ehle for "Best Actress" and an Emmy for "Outstanding Individual Achievement in Costume Design for a Miniseries or a Special". The role of Mr. Darcy elevated Colin Firth to stardom. A scene showing Firth in a wet shirt was recognised as "one of the most unforgettable moments in British TV history". The serial inspired author Helen Fielding to write the popular Bridget Jones novels; the screen adaptations featured Firth as Bridget's love interest Mark Darcy.

Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:53 pm
Extraordinary

Unknown Simon Langton opts for a miniseries over a 2 hour feature and prooves that sometimes time is as necessary to a story as it is to a pearl developing in an oyster shell. The best film version of any Jane Austen film to date, this includes the numerous other versions of Emma, Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility that i have seen (a whopping 5).

Divine casting choices are faithful to the books descriptions of the mundane beauty but superior personality of Elizabeth Bennet, her soft sopken older sister, her rambuncious younger sister, her nagging desperate mother, and her observant tired father. I've always wondered after this why Jennifer Ehle did not become a more well known actress. She continued to appear in several period pieces including Wilde (as Wilde's wife) and Obsession (as the historic female writer). But she's still unknown considering how perfect she played Elizabeth's tart tongue, confused emotions, and determined grit. This is also the first time I think I saw Colin Firth in a movie, and as Mr. Darcy his grumpy self is riddled with awkward moments and burly apologies. The two leads have a great way of making the relationships awkward, angry, and lusty moments very palpable.

Everything from the costume to the landscape are quite well captured, and the 300 minutes flied by in what feels like half that time.

Excellent movie,

A

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:22 pm
Killing With Kindness

A+

This film has an advantage over the new 05 version, its a full 4 hours longer :biggrin: Totaly outstanding watch, recomended to anyone willing to watch :smile:

Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Pride & Prejudice (1995)
Rewatched this in the past week. Still a perennial favorite and such a well-done movie. I'm bumping it in the hopes other people have seen it since, as its become more readily available on DVD I believe. I really, really, really like it. My most favorite Austen adaptation out of all of them (for big screen and for tv).

Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]