Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Trois couleurs: Bleu [Three Colors: Blue] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 83%  83%  [ 5 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Trois couleurs: Bleu [Three Colors: Blue] 
College Boy Z

Post Trois couleurs: Bleu [Three Colors: Blue]
Three Colors: Blue

Quote:
Three Colors: Blue (French: Trois Couleurs: Bleu, Polish: Trzy kolory. Niebieski) is a 1993 French mystery film written, produced, and directed by the acclaimed Polish director Krzysztof Kieślowski. Blue is the first in The Three Colors Trilogy, themed on the French Revolutionary ideals; it is followed by White and Red.

According to Kieślowski, the subject of the film is liberty, specifically emotional liberty, rather than its social or political meaning. Set in Paris, it depicts Julie, a woman whose husband and child are killed in a car accident. Suddenly set free from her familial bonds, Julie attempts to cut herself off from everything and live in isolation from her former ties, but finds that she cannot free herself from human connections.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:53 pm
Extraordinary

Incredibly strong film. This, Red, and Double Life of Veronique are Keislowski at his prime. Everything is taught, beautiful, tragic, existential, yet not mind0thuddingly obvious. The director really knew how to manipulate the visual medium to tell the story, and assumed everyone would motivate to explore the topic and images themselves. Priesner's music is superb, and the two of them together could not go wrong for sheer emotional intensity. This is, to date, still Binoche's greatest work. Wonderful in every way imagineable.

A

Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:03 pm
Draughty

The only one of the three colors movies I found watchable and interesting. B+

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:33 pm
Profile WWW
htm

The music...is just phenomenal. I think Blue is significantly better than White, and I haven't seen Red yet....

Binoche is perfect and the direction really is something special. Keislowski will be missed.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:41 pm
Lord of filth

Blue is the best of the three. Binoche is amazing. White and Red are also fabulous.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

So what, does this movie have 3 different versions coordinating with the colors or something?

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:33 pm
Kypade

It's a trilogy (very possibly the greatest trilogy ever made) based on the French flag. Blue, White, and Red are the three films, and colors in the flag.

Blue is also my favorite of the three...with White and Red following very closely behind.

Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:44 pm
Extraordinary

So what, does this movie have 3 different versions coordinating with the colors or something?

The three colors of the French flag, and what their three equivalent associations are. Only it takes each of the three ideals and really explores each one....turns it on its head.

As to the music, which lennier mentioned, I own three albums by Preisner. Blue, Double Life, and his Requiem for my friend. I highly suggest them. Especially the film-oriented ones, which seemed to give him focus and a bit more of a visceral experience to respond to. His lead singer was always Elzbieta Towarnicka and she's brilliant. It's a shame more people don't know her.

He also does a brilliant interpretation of Bolero (on Red) which, in my opinion, rivals the original if one were to compare apples and oranges.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:05 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Trois Couleurs: Bleu
Definetly more centralised then Red but just as enjoyable.

Binoche is on top form, and I really loved the reflective nature of the film.

Strong A+

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 am
Teenage Dream

All of this Kieslowski talk the last couple of days has me positively geeked.

To me, Blue and Red are equally perfect, while White is definitely the "lightest" of the bunch. It's not a bad movie by any means (far from it, in fact), but it lacks a lot of the subtlety, insight and emotional devastation Keislowski fills the other two with. Dolce made a wonderful point earlier in the thread that I wanted to touch on again -- Kieslowski was an almost entirely visual filmmaker, in the sense that he used his images to thrust the narrative and provide the subtext. He trusted the audience enough to understand what he was trying to convey. A lot of people get lost in Blue because of moments like this...

But if we understand that we are seeing the movie almost exclusively through Julie's eyes, and we understand the theme of liberty and how Kieslowski is applying it to his story (Julie's attempt that achieve emotional liberty throughout the film by detaching herself from important things and attaching to the mundane), moments like this start to become almost overpowering in their brilliance, and certainly in their emotional impact. Kieslowski has fast become one of my favorite filmmakers for this very reason. His images are simultaneously beautiful and abstract while not asking the audience to come to conclusions the filmmaker himself hasn't drawn. He isn't asking us to fill in the blanks so much as as asking us to just recognize what is already there.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:13 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The first 5 minutes were a brilliant showcase of visual storytelling to boot. Zero dialogue but none was needed such was the skill of the helmsman.

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:31 pm
You must have big rats

All three films are showing at a local theatre next month. Hopefully I'll find time...

Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Post Re: Trois Couleurs: Bleu [Three Colours: Blue]
Kieslowski, to byl naprawde fantastyczny rezyser, i to jest naprawde fantastyczny film... moze jeden z jego najbardziej precyzyjnych filmów: sceny, jak n.p. ta w ktorej Binoche moczy kostke cukru w swojej kawie, przypominajo jak male szczególy umiejon pokazac charakter czlowieka...

A+

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:13 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Fuck you kindly, Monsieur Samourai.

Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:41 pm
Profile WWW
No Wire Tampons!

I really enjoyed it, I guess it's typical for the blockbuster fan to find this instalment the best, but i did
B+

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]