Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Pride & Prejudice (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 19 ]
B 30%  30%  [ 9 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 30

Pride & Prejudice (2005) 
We had our time together

I sooo hope Knightley gets Oscar recognition for this. She was amazing, she made the movie for me. GO KEIRA GO!!

Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:53 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A thoroughly enjoyable film adaptation of Austen's great novel. Initially, the film might appear to be very conventional, which in some ways it is. However, the performances are so spirited that the entire film is lifted up. The film basically revolves around me falling in love with Keira Knightley. At least, that's the effect on me as an audience member, and I reckon I'm not the only one :happy: She is nothing short of charming and disarming, easily among the most easily likeable onscreen personalities in quite some time.

The performances really do make the film stand out. Knightley's should not be ignored, and ranks, I'm certain, among the greatest Austen-based performances ever.

B

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:35 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A thoroughly enjoyable film adaptation of Austen's great novel. Initially, the film might appear to be very conventional, which in some ways it is. However, the performances are so spirited that the entire film is lifted up. The film basically revolves around me falling in love with Keira Knightley. At least, that's the effect on me as an audience member, and I reckon I'm not the only one :happy: She is nothing short of charming and disarming, easily among the most easily likeable onscreen personalities in quite some time.

The performances really do make the film stand out. Knightley's should not be ignored, and ranks, I'm certain, among the greatest Austen-based performances ever.

B

OH YEAH! ! !! ! :biggrin:

Glad you liked P&P a lot Box :happy:

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

I'll probably be watching this tomorrow, and while i'm not especially fond of the novel (well, ok, i didn't get more than a chapter into it before quitting for many reasons or another), and i don't especially care for Keira one way or another, i am oddly hoping/expecting to really like it. the pictures posted in that "FYC" thread probably had something to do with it...i dunno...but i'm kinda excited. :o

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:06 am
Award Winning Bastard

Saw Pride and Prejudice today, and there were about 50 people there, so it's looking hopeful that my local specialty theater may continue on!

The movie is decent, but not really my cup of tea. It's a little too female centric and a little too British, but I can see why some people do really like it. And hey, it features two Bond girls, the adorable Rosamund Pike and the sultry Dame Judi Dench, who actually makes a Bride of Frankenstein hairstyle work. :wub:

Kiera Knightly does a great job, and definitely deserves an Oscar nom, but no, she's not close to what Reese Witherspoon's performance was, or even Amy Adams, for that matter. I don't think I'll see a performance this year to match those.
The entire cast supports Knightly very well, but the movie does have some moments that just fail to connect, but that probably has more to do with me than the film itself.

B-

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:56 pm
Kypade

This is the director's first feature length film? Amazing.

I wasn't terribly familiar with the story (as I mentioned, I only got about a chapter into the book), but it's really a pretty basic one and very accessable. I thought it was incredibly acted (Keira's performance is perhaps the most subtly emotive and beautiful of the year) and I was more drawn into the simple, human(e) story than some of the more creative, complex, outrageous ones I've seen recently. I did think the film coulda used a little cut here or there, but for the most part, it was fantastic. And so, so goregous. Top 5/6 of the year.

(I'm so glad it worked out that it was still playing down by my grandparents, where I was visiting today. It's pretty much nowhere to be found near me. I'd've regreted missing this at the theaters.)

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:00 am
The Lubitsch Touch

If I had my way, and Christ knows I never do, Matthew MacFadyen would be a supporting actor nominee at the Oscars. I was so fucking surprised at his amazing Darcy.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:02 am
Sbil

If I had my way, and Christ knows I never do, Matthew MacFadyen would be a supporting actor nominee at the Oscars. I was so fucking surprised at his amazing Darcy.

Eh, really?

I thought he was good but nothing noteworthy. Keira is deserving of all the praise, though.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:03 am
Kypade

I thought he was pretty great, but I dunno...it might be his character, but I thought he was kinda weak with line delivery. Nothing huge, but just...I dunno. maybe a little awkward? I think he was best when with Keira's character. I loved the ending with the two of em and the sunset.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:09 am
Award Winning Bastard

That one guy reminded me a lot of Orlando Bloom. I can't remember his name in the film, but you guys know who I mean.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:17 am
Team Kris

Heh. My friend whom I saw this with commented on the characters of Darcy and Bingley, had they been living in this century. Darcy would be the "emo," pensive-type while Bingley would be the surfer/skater dude. :huh:

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:17 am
Team Kris

That one guy reminded me a lot of Orlando Bloom. I can't remember his name in the film, but you guys know who I mean.

The guy who married Lydia? Mr. Wickham (sp)?

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:18 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I don't know, I just thought he was marvelous. I remember coming out of the movie; all I could talk about was how much he surprised me. Colin Firth had cast a shadow over the role a mile long, but MacFadyen somehow came out and made it his own. It's a difficult role, and the thing that most worried me about the film, but he pulled it off, I thought, without reservation.

Donald Sutherland's small, subtle role has also been largely overlooked, although not to the same extent. It's Keira's movie, but I really think those two guys (along with Joe Wright's underrated and quite masterful direction...those yummy tracking shots) are the glue that held this together.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:19 am
Sbil

Maverikk wrote:

Yeah, he was no good. I mean, not a good performance.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:20 am
Award Winning Bastard

Christian wrote:
Maverikk wrote:

Yeah, he was no good. I mean, not a good performance.

Another reason he reminded me of Bloom. :hahaha: He looked like him, sounded like him, and acted like him.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:21 am
Forum General

I heard someone talking about this film, how most of the time after coming out of a movie you can kind of pick out exactly what you thought was wrong with it, and you - well, I, at least - couldn't do that with this one.

I still don't know if I could honestly say that I thought anything was wrong with it: it's really entertaining, acting is top-notch, nice ending. Everything.

Like Mav said, though, I just didn't feel like I was always connecting with it. May have something to do with the fact that I'm male and rooting for couples just isn't really my thing.

It is great, though. And yeah, Donald Sutherland is great. The scene at the end with him and Elizabeth was my favorite.

A-

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, you can't dislike it. Austen adaptations tend to be very safe game for cinema. That being said, After Lady Catherine storms the house the film takes a quick turn downwards. Can I please have some cheese with that cheese, sir?

I did like Knightly in this. A bit too giddy at the end (going along with the cheesy, cheese, cheese theme) but some of her earlier facial gestures and her spirit throughout where as on target as the script allowed for.

Eh, I'd give it a B-, but I loved the dancing and dinner scenes, and there's always something about The Matriarch of the Bennet household that strikes a cord with me.

B

Last edited by dolcevita on Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:03 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Well, you can't dislike it. Austin adaptations tend to be very safe game for cinema. That being said, After Lady Catherine storms the house the film takes a quick turn downwards. Can I please have some cheese with that cheese, sir?

I did like Knightly in this. A bit too giddy at the end (going along with the cheesy, cheese, cheese theme) but some of her earlier facial gestures and her spirit throughout where as on target as the script allowed for.

Eh, I'd give it a B-, but I loved the dancing and dinner scenes, and there's always something about The Matriarch of the Bennet household that strikes a cord with me.

B

I loved the dance between Knightley and McFaden, it is perhaps the one scene that has stayed with me the most. In fact when I think back on the film that is the scene that I think of first, as it was everything it could have and should have been.

Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:58 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Pride & Prejudice: Best cinematography in a film this year. Wow. Cinematography amazing? Check. Kiera Knightley proved to me that she deserves her Oscar nomination. Very well done. I rag on Judi Dench all the time for always getting nominations, but she really is a great actress. Always commands the screen. I love how this film so fluently transitioned from hilarious comedy to intense, emotional scenes. Donald Sutherland was awesome. Music was great, although sometimes misused. I got a little sick of every scene having a bunch of giggling girls behind a door, but the comedy itself overall was brilliant in this film. Overall, a beautiful film to look at, wonderful cinematography, a top notch performance from the renewed Kiera, and fun in every way. Great job Wright! It was the director that prevented this from being a bland adaptation, and made it an enjoyable watch.

B+

PEACE, Mike.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:57 am
Top Poster

A-. I saw this twice in a time span of a couple of days. After the first time, I put it atop my 2005 list, but it lowered a bit after the second time. Agree with everything MikeQ. said above, especially the brilliant cinematography and performances. The art direction was also superb, especially noticeable because of the cinematography. The version I saw did not have the 8 minutes at the end that was in American theaters (it ended after the Donald Sutherland-Keira Knightley scene). Anyone care to talk about those 8 minutes?

Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Keira Knightley is wonderful here, I'm rather impressed. (I think I would have placed her first on my nominations ballot... too bad its too late. :sad: )

Its a gorgeous film, though. Can't wait to see it again on DVD. (the version I saw also ended with the Sutherland/Knightley scene as well.)

A/A-

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:17 pm
Golfaholic

A-. I saw this twice in a time span of a couple of days. After the first time, I put it atop my 2005 list, but it lowered a bit after the second time. Agree with everything MikeQ. said above, especially the brilliant cinematography and performances. The art direction was also superb, especially noticeable because of the cinematography. The version I saw did not have the 8 minutes at the end that was in American theaters (it ended after the Donald Sutherland-Keira Knightley scene). Anyone care to talk about those 8 minutes?

It's not 8 minutes, more like 2 minutes. The scene itself is really bad, with Lizzy and Darcy exchanging kitschy dialogue. It is totally not in the spirit of the rest of the movie. I'm glad it wasn't used in the european version

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:31 pm
Forum General

alex young wrote:

It's not 8 minutes, more like 2 minutes. The scene itself is really bad, with Lizzy and Darcy exchanging kitschy dialogue. It is totally not in the spirit of the rest of the movie. I'm glad it wasn't used in the european version

Yeah, I actually might have preferred it ending with the dad scene.

The scene in the American version was Lizzy and Darcy on that little dock thingy, I think, and Darcy saying "Mrs. Darcy, Mrs. Darcy, Mrs..." and kissing her. It's not quite as dumb as it sounds, but it kind of is.

I still really like this movie, though. I think it'll probably end up in my top 10.

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Great great great movie! Never seen any previous adaptation nor read the novel beforehand and I was captivated by the acting, story and the beautiful beautiful scenery. Keira was fantastic as was the guy who played Darcy. THat scene with Keira on top of the cliff was probably the most visually beautiful scene i've ever seen in a movie.

Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:21 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Watching this movie I was first thinking what all the fuss is about, especially about Knightley's performance, but by the end it really won me over and put a warm smile on my face which not many movies manage to achieve nowadays. The first hour I was rather desinterested with the happenings on-screen, ecept for occasional brilliant dialogue. The second half really elevated the movie in my opinion. Keira Knightley owns the film. She has many great scenes, but her final scene with her father (also very well-played by Donald Sutherland) is a great stand-out. Having seen three Best Actress nominees so far (Knightley, Witherspoon and Theron), I would say that Knightley was easily the most deserving as she delivered one of the most layered and enchanting female performances of 2005. She realy made the film for me and the chemistry between her and Matthew Macfadyen was top-notch. His first proposal to her is very sweet and basically all of their scenes are played out very well.

One of my few complaints besides the rather uninteresting first half would be that because of the focus on Lizzy and Darcy, the secondary characters all pretty much lack characterization, but I could live with that. Judi Dench's role was a bit wasted. Other than that, it was just a very enjoyable and sweet romance with a truly great lead performance. More romances should be like this one.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next