Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Saw II 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 19 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 17 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 47

Saw II 
Extraordinary

You may have liked it even more if you would have seen the first before you saw this one. The more I think about the ending to the second one, the more I like it(not that I didn't like it before).

Better late than never...

;)

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:46 am
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Cleric wrote:
You may have liked it even more if you would have seen the first before you saw this one. The more I think about the ending to the second one, the more I like it(not that I didn't like it before).

Better late than never...

;)

Very true :exclaim:

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:12 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Two words to describe this movie... Fucked up

Wow. Simply amazing. The beginning was simply disgusting and made me turn away from the screen. I wasn't really focusing on trying to find the twist, but once the cops went into the house and I saw the lights were off... :) All the flashbacks were awesome!

Slightly better than the original

9.7/10 A+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:15 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm very much speechless. After last year's movie was such an amazing movie, it came as no shock that I might end up hating this movie. I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would end up loving it. Simply amazing.

Spoiler:

I'm very, very pleased with the twist. It's so much different than the first movie. The first was out of nowhere, whereas the writers (including Leigh Whannel, although I don't know exactly how much he wrote) knew that the audience and fans of the first movie would be searching aimlessly for clues to an inevitable twist. What you're left with is many scenarios, and you're likely to figure it out in your many, many guesses. What's unexpected is the extension of the plot twist, which somehow relates to the first film's twist. Jigsaw was there the whole time, right in front of our eyes, but we never clued in to it. We never really thought about it. Here, Jigsaw is dying, but somehow (at least, for me) it never clicked with me that he was dying. I guess part of me believed it was somehow a hoax, or that he would live past this movie, but it still never really registered. Oh, and... I heart Shawnee Smith (aka Amanda). How awesome.

So, even though this is not a review, I'm still posting my grade. A (possibly an A+. I'm not afraid to give this film an A+, but I likely will see it again soon, and see if it holds up as well or hopefully better than the original).

Another spoilerish comment:

A few scenes had me cringing, and it's hard to make me cringe. When Amanda was thrown into the needles, I was cringing like absolute hell.

Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:40 pm
Extraordinary

Why does everyone think Jigsaw is dead? He was alive when the credits rolled. They could still pull one sequel out of him.?

Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:08 pm
College Boy Z

Why does everyone think Jigsaw is dead? He was alive when the credits rolled. They could still pull one sequel out of him.?

Well, considering that she said, "I'll be taking over his work, and you're my first test," and Jigsaw is, like, almost dead, I would think he's not returning in the third.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:05 am
New Server, Same X

The Dark Shape wrote:

Well, considering that she said, "I'll be taking over his work, and you're my first test," and Jigsaw is, like, almost dead, I would think he's not returning in the third.

Well, they did the "I'll be taking over his work" thing, then directly afterwards, we see Jigsaw pretty much lights out. I took it as his death.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:33 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

Just got back from the theater. What a movie. I'll be the first to tell you I am not a big fan of horror movies to say the least. I scare easily and normally don't have the stomach to handle the gore. I saw bits and pieces of the first Saw (a.k.a my eyes were closed)and I thought it was a fairly well made horror film. Good concept, passable acting, and somewhat plausible twist. I was somewhat dragged into the theater tonight to see the sequel, as I was originally planning to see Jarhead. (Very glad I didn't) I won't go through the plot again, because I am sure through these first 3 pages many have already. So I will go straight into what I didn't like about the movie, to get it out of the way. The choppy editing became a little annoying, maybe effective, but when it distracts you from the movie itself, it becomes a problem. I thought Donnie Wahlberg was good as the cop, but maybe a little bit too stereotypical, although that's really what the role called for. As for the rest of the cast, I think everyone gave good enough performances to not take away from the movie, except for (I hate to say it) Beverly Mitchell. You never really got a feel for her character's personality, and before you knew it
SPOILER
She kicked the bucket, in a boring manner I should add. I should add the black cop was very funny sometimes, and not on purpose. No, I am not saying this just because he's black, but because of the lines he was given.

Besides those very small negatives, I really couldn't find much I didn't like about this movie. It obviously has its minor tweaks here and there but they are expected and do not ruin the pace. Now I'll get to the positives. The story is nice and fast paced, but not so fast that you get lost in the action. The movie may drag you along for the ride, but it at least keeps you conscious. The beginning of the movie definitely set the tone, stressing the movie is about lack of time, and the very tough decisions that mean the difference between life, cruel pain, and death. The same kind of hopeless setting still looms, and is good because it immediately puts the viewer in an uncomfortable, claustrophobic mindset. Tobin Bell is great as Jigsaw, making sure not to become another run-of-the-mill psychopath. You actually find yourself to sympathize with him, as he tells his story and explains his actions. As the cop begins to beat the living hell out of him, you begin to wonder who is really the hero and who is the villian. I will say by halfway through the movie, it becomes obvious whose side the film is really on. Our "hero" is really exposed for the jackass he is, contrasted against Jigsaw's calm, wise, and understanding manner. Never for a second do you doubt the words that come out of his mouth are true. Jigsaw's twisted mind games he plays with the cop reveal there is a deeper meaning than just locking up these eight people for the hell of it, and it intrigues one to figure out the twists that lie ahead, whose clues are placed directly in front of you but are impossible to piece together. The ending finale of this film reveals many plot changes, each one better than the next. The thing that makes these twists remarkable is that for once in a horror movie, they make sense, without telling the viewer too much or too little. The climatic ending sent chills down my spine, almost causing me to stand and up and cheer during the final scenes.

When I first heard Saw II was being rushed into production, I was very apprehensive about how well it could be made. Thank heavens the makers of this film actually got it right and delievered one of the best crowd pleasing horror/thrillers I have seen this year. Hopefully Saw III will continue this movie's legacy, and will continue to prove that smart, edge of your seat movies can still be made.

**** 1/2 (out of five)

Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:54 pm
Artie the One-Man Party

If anyone has any comments/opinions on my review, I'm welcome to them, simply because this is my first full review in a long time and I'd like to hear what others think of it

Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:12 pm
Extra on the Ordinary

I mean I know I'm not gonna see Oscar caliber performances in a film like this but is it so hard to cast at lest midly talented actors every once in a while??

There were some genuinly disturbing/frightening moments in the movie (you know, if you're a sadistic kind of person :P) , and some unexpected turns (others not so unexpected) but overall above everything else it was surprisingly...dull.

Meh

C-

Best Actress 2008

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:02 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

The main problem I had with this movie was that the gore is still somewhat tame since I was able to watch them directly without cringing, lol. Oh, and yeah, that editing and loud blaring "music." And Beverley Mitchell. And I was able to tell the twist. CAUSE I ACTUALLY LISTENED TO FREAKIN' JIGSAW! YA HEAR THAT STUPID DONNIE WAHLBERG!

Those aside, I thought it was a pretty fun movie to watch, since some of the characters got really desperate just to figure out how to get out that house. Tobin Bell was pretty effective in racking up sympathy as the dying Jigsaw and the role reversal he got with Donnie Wahlberg is nifty.

B Minus.

Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:57 am
Extraordinary

I have to agree with Rod on the performances, but at least they weren't as bad as the first one... Yeesh.

I mildly enjoyed it though.

C+... maybe C.

Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:32 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

It came as no surprise that SAW II was green lighted just two days after the original opened to crowded theatres in the U.S in its first weekend. What fantastic news for the horror genre, a new franchise. But unlike Scream, Blair Witch, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Final Destination, Evil Dead, The Exorcist and a few others, Saw was just shit from head to toe. Ok, fine, it was a good attempt considering it was made for a million bucks, but if we are going to reward every film as a "good try" then every film should be given an A, because after all, aren't they all trying. You know it wouldn't hurt if Saw-creator Leigh Whannel did a few acting classes, or better yet, the whole cast including Danny Glover. Yes, you shouldn't go to a horror film expecting good acting, however you need some acting if you are going to make the whole situation seem credible. Also what about that twist at the end, are you fucking serious? Didn't that leave the whole film with giant plot holes and any credibility. Saw was entertaining because it was unintentionally amusing.

It seems the second time around not much has changes except the killings are bloodier and enjoyable. This time around we are left looking at 8 retards (which I will call them) who Jigsaw has put together to see if their lives are worth living. However Jigsaw is caught by the local police and its up to Detective Eric Matthews (Donnie Wahlberg) to listen to Jigsaw to see what he has to say, as his son is one of the eight. He has two hours to find them as the house, the 8 are engulfed in, is filled with deadly nerve gas.

Newcomer Darren Lynn Bousman tries ever so hard to breathe some air into his boring script, which was re-written by Whannel. Like the first, the acting is painstakingly awful. Whalberg over acts so much that you wonder if his performance is as amateur like the entire cast. Is it that difficult to find decent and cheap B-grade actors in Hollywood? Some of the characters serve no purpose instead they just boost the body count and some of them are just ridiculous. And believe me when I tell you how retarded the characters are, and because these characters are so unlikeable you just can't wait till they die. I mean seriously, you want their deaths to be bloody. Unfortunately there lies another problem, the deaths. Yes some of them are bloody, sadistic and gross. But some deaths like the 7th Heaven bitch, the token black guy, the hyperventalating guy and the "kidnapper" serve no purpose and ultimately don't make sense in the Saw world. The whole point of the first film was they died in some really graphic act.

The twist can be seen a mile away if you understood the crappy first film and got a lot of the hints in the second. And just in case your retarded as well, they have a great big long montage in case you didn't get it. So in other words, watching the last five minutes is only necessary. The MTV style editing is also over done here, and becomes quite annoying very early on. Set design and cinematography is quite serviceable considering the budget. The other bright spot is the tension. You feel it all the way through, so it is disappointing when the deaths are rushed and unoriginal.

These faux-intellectual films, such as Saw II, that force the audience into some sort of pseudo enlightenment are merely mutton dressed as lamb. Like the first, Saw II has the ambition but there is ultimately no decent pay-off, unless your into the pseudo enlightenment. Considering some of the slasher sequels in recent memory, Saw II is better, but no accomplishment. Let's hope the third is a bit more thought-out. Also please let there be an audition process.

C-.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:06 pm
Devil's Advocate

Sweet. Wayyyyy better than Saw I. #4 of 2005 for me.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:31 am
Teh Mexican

THat ending is so freaking cool :D

i did laugh my ass off when Xavier cut off his skin perfectly but whatever the movie is awesome

A

Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:14 am
We had our time together

Yep, pretty awesome movie. Better than Saw I. Some of the scenes were really really sick but I loved it. A-

Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:24 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The first Saw was a huge surprise to me back in 2004. I must say that I saw (no pun intended) the first movie way before its US-release, back in August 2004. I went into the film without many expectations and knowing close to nothing about the plot. I left the theatre in awe and Saw ended up as my #3 movie of 2004 as well as one of my all-time favorite horror movies. It is the new "Scream" as it kicked off a new genre, "sadistic torture-horror". It planted the seeds and Hostel is just the beginning of the new wave, it seems.

I loved Saw for many things. I loved it for its originality, for its bitterness, for its cynism and, most of all, for its ingenius twist. It rarely ever occurs to me anymore that a movie can take me really aback with its ending. Saw managed that flawlessly. I love the film. However, I had big reservations against a sequel which I perceived as unnecessary (and frankly, I still do). I knew they would never reach the brilliance and the raw nature of the first movie. The marketing seemed decent, but too similar to the first flick. My anticipation was almost non-existant, especially knowing how much Scream 2 disappointed me after the first Scream.

Thankfully, I was (almost) completely wrong.

Saw II is as great of a horror sequel as they get. I don't think it is on par with the first film, but it surely comes close. Everyghing in here is bigger and bolder which might have hurt it somewhat. I loved the minimalistic approach of the first film and the fact that there were essentially just two main characters. Here we have eight people trapped in a house with traps as well as a police detective (Donnie Wahlberg) capturing (!) Jigsaw (Tobin Bell) while his own son is one of the eight people in Jigsaw's trap. The game begins... It is true that the movie is a mixture of the first Saw and Cube with various inventice traps hidden everywhere around the house, killing Jigsaw's victims one after the other. Here I come to my very few complaints about the flick. For one, the idea is simply not as fresh and original as it was in the first movie anymore. For another, no scene in the sequel comes close to the "sawing-off-the-foot"-scene in Saw, in shocking value. Moreover, I actually managed to guess part of the twist in this one, whereas in the first one, the twist ending baffled me.

On the upside, however, the movie is throughout suspenseful and immensly so. There is not a single slow second in the film. The pacing is great. There are no scares, but some moments of really incredible tension. The acting is pretty decent for the genre (I never had many problems with the acting in the first film either, though). There is gore and bllod aplenty in the film and the deaths are quite creative and sometimes very, very sick. Tobin Bell is the movie's acting highlight. Indeed, it does take away some of his mystery by showing him for longer amounts of time. On the other hand, he delivers a great and haunting performance which shows signs of the greats in the serial killer genre. In some moments, he is up to the levels of the iconic John Doe (Se7en) and Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs). I read it in several places, that he said, he'd be up for the third film, so I am glad about that.

The twist is actually rather clever too this time around. While I did guess one part of it (the replacement of Jigsaw), I was completely baffled by the other (tape & son in the safe), so kudos to the screenwriters once again. All in all, Saw II might not have the cynism and the freshness of the first film, but it still delivers on all levels that a horror movie should deliver on. It is suepenseful, fast-paced, brutal, sick and never boring. As of now, it easily stands as the best US-horror film of 2005.

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:52 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

I was completely baffled by the other (tape & son in the safe)

Not specifically, but I knew when I heard Jigsaw say "in a safe place" that all Wahlberg had to do was talk and he'd find his son in a safe place. I was screaming at him the whole movie to shut up and just listen! The replacement and who it actually was somewhat caught me offguard.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:08 am
You must have big rats

Quote:
I was completely baffled by the other (tape & son in the safe)

Not specifically, but I knew when I heard Jigsaw say "in a safe place" that all Wahlberg had to do was talk and he'd find his son in a safe place. I was screaming at him the whole movie to shut up and just listen! The replacement and who it actually was somewhat caught me offguard.

The replacement I figured because Amanda started off simiar to how Jigsaw himself started off in the first movie. She was aong them all and almost unconscious at the beginning. I was just sure that one of Jigsaw's people was among them and she was the most likely choice.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:25 am
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Good call ;) I would have never picked up on the parallels between characters.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:26 am
The Original

Surprising good part 2. Of course it does lack a bit the freshness of the first but I was suprised how well it turned finally out.
As I remember I gave SAW 8/10. So I would give SAWII 7.5/10. Not as fresh and ecxiting and shocking as the first (you can not impress me so easy with gore scenes) but still very suspensful with a very good ending. All in all...if you liked the first one you should go and see this. I had fear that it will be rushed but it turned out well. Not so sure what they will do in part three but part 2 didnt turn me away and I will be there when its time for Jigsaw to return for part 3
7.5/10

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:00 pm
Top Poster

Poor retread of the first movie with none of the original's scares, creativity, or gore. Everything in this film is a notch and a half inferior to the first film. It doesn't help that the twist ending was predictable the moment the character showed up in the movie. But since it was never non-entertaining, it still gets a C+.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

SAW - originality + (gore * 5) + a couple of unneeded chacrters + better acting + better (although somehow predictable) twist + less plot holes = SAW II. B+.

But there's something confusing me - SPOILERS AHEAD:

How many bodies were in the bathroom the meoment Eric Mathews entered? I only counted 2, but I think there should have been 3, Adam, Zepp, and Xavier?

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:17 am
Profile WWW
The Original

SAW - originality + (gore * 5) + a couple of unneeded chacrters + better acting + better (although somehow predictable) twist + less plot holes = SAW II. B+.

But there's something confusing me - SPOILERS AHEAD:

How many bodies were in the bathroom the meoment Eric Mathews entered? I only counted 2, but I think there should have been 3, Adam, Zepp, and Xavier?

Spoiler
[spoil]Yeah actually there should be three. But there are two bodies and one foot. So I guess Jigsaw did something else with the "rest" of the doctor. Foot=3 body.[/spoil]

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:30 am
Vagina Qwertyuiop

C-

Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next