Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Me and You and Everyone We Know 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

College Boy Z

Post Me and You and Everyone We Know

Quote:
Me and You and Everyone We Know is a 2005 film, Miranda July's directorial debut.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:08 pm
Wallflower

ME AND YOU AND EVERYONE WE KNOW - 5/10 (C-)

Don't believe the hype. This is easily one of the most overrated films of 2005. It felt so phony, pretentious, and self-indulgent. I cannot believe it had such amazing reviews. I thought it looked surprisingly really good from the trailer but it ended up being a pointless and somewhat dull waste of time. I was really glad it was under an hour and a half long. It tries way too hard to be art and to mean something that it's incredibly obvious and eye-roll inducing. I actually liked Miranda July in the movie, but it's a real turn-off to know she wrote and directed this wannabe film. The thought that people actually embraced this movie makes me feel sick. I personally recommend avoiding it and I hope I can soon forget it even exists.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:11 am
Lord of filth

The film really isn't that good. It has a few moments, like when July's tape message runs a little too long and tugs the heart of the lonely art critic, but it's way overly silly. Before I saw it, all I heard were people saying, "this movie isn't quirky! real people act this way!" and in no way is that truth.

The problems with so many other films by inexperienced writers... it's all written in the same voice and the characters all possess that level of "quirky".

The worst part of it are the, not one, but TWO major threads dealing with an aspect of pedophelia (god I can't spell tonight). These aren't necessarily "disturbing" because the sequences are so utterly unbelievable that you just want to turn off the movie.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:58 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

God, I agree with Mike.

The film really isn't that good. It has a few moments, like when July's tape message runs a little too long and tugs the heart of the lonely art critic, but it's way overly silly. Before I saw it, all I heard were people saying, "this movie isn't quirky! real people act this way!" and in no way is that truth.

The problems with so many other films by inexperienced writers... it's all written in the same voice and the characters all possess that level of "quirky".

The worst part of it are the, not one, but TWO major threads dealing with an aspect of pedophelia (god I can't spell tonight). These aren't necessarily "disturbing" because the sequences are so utterly unbelievable that you just want to turn off the movie.

Thank you! And I thought the stuff with the two boys was gross, especially the little one. The whole "back and forth" thing was disgusting! I also thought the stuff with the two girls was annoying. They were such unlikable bitches.

I agree about all of the characters possessing the same level of quirky, and it's not a good thing. Nobody comes off as that differen't, it seems way more obvious than it should that the same person is behind it all.

Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:16 am
Lord of filth

Bumping so that Loyal can answer for his crimes.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:47 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Okay, I'll bite... here's a copy of my review from over in Foreign & Independent:

Yipes! I fell for this movie. That Miranda July is just too darn cute, not to mention a great director who manages to tell a subversively honest tale in a most beguiling manner. She is a contemporary artist of the first rank. Her cast is note perfect in challenging (to say the least) roles. This is my idea of a great Indie, and deserved it's accolades at Cannes, Sundance, and elsewhere. Bravo!

Me and You and Everyone We Know has a Napoleon Dynamite kinda vibe.

It shares a similar deadpan humor, and it's definitely a (romantic) comedy, albeit addressing some more serious themes...

5 out of 5.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:55 am
Lord of filth

Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It wasn't that bad. It just felt really whispy the whole time, like someone had to blow some life into it. Skeletal but some ok smaller stories. The chat (pun intended0 about cyber alientation and technology informing our relationships fell flat though.

I have to say July sounded like she should get her lungs checked the entire length of the movie though.

And she seemed to be too clean for the entire rest of the movie. She tried to use the elderly man (and his lost love) as the bridge between her and the rest of jaded society, and it wasn't successful, though it did illuminate on who was more influenced by virtual perspective (elderly and the media conscious artist vs. others). Eh, it was a mixed for me. I thought the scene where the two young girls decide they'd rather lose their virginity with each other's support than to some random first (and transient) boyfriend was quite sincere actually.

Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:13 am
Kypade

Which crimes? oops.

Aaannyy...

way.

I agree with the "terribly mediocre" crowd...though I'm sure it's over in Findies.

It basically comes down to one of those times where NOTHING on the screen was of any matter or worth to me. I watched movement, but thats all I can really say...the characters were not characters, their decisions were not decisions...it was just far too ...whats the word...alienating, i suppose.

because of this, I can hardly call the film "horrible" - i didnt feel i was watching a horrible film...

i didn't feel anything.

therefore, i'm pretty sure i settled on C-, or thereabouts.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:44 am

I stand before you accused of the most vile and disgusting of crimes.

I liked it, I can't explain why. It's off center, like me. It's a dark comedy, like my life. The two kids have wild hair, like me. There's some oral, just like today.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:23 pm
Extraordinary

This is easily one of the most overrated films of 2005. It felt so phony, pretentious, and self-indulgent. I cannot believe it had such amazing reviews.

Exactly how I feel...

I'd give it a C.

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:40 pm
Forum General

I guess I kind of thought some of it was charming. The poop. The little kid. The museum lady.

But I think there's a reason we don't see a lot of this performance-art-type stuff in film. It just doesn't work well with a linear storyline, and yes, it's quite pretentious. Quite. And that kind of negates the charming stuff.

Didn't really connect with me at all.

C-

Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

andaroo wrote:

I stand before you accused of the most vile and disgusting of crimes.

I liked it, I can't explain why. It's off center, like me. It's a dark comedy, like my life. The two kids have wild hair, like me. There's some oral, just like today.

And people think I like to brag about my life. :shades:

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:23 am
Lord of filth

Loyal is the guy with the apartment trying to seduce the underage girls into his den of filth.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

B+, can't believe so many people here disliked this movie...

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Me and You and Everyone We Know
I should hate it, but I didn't.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Me and You and Everyone We Know
I just watched this yesterday and really dug it. It's definitely overloaded with pretentiousness and borders on being unable to stand from all its quirks, but there's something terribly likable about it to me. It's cute, but there's nothing cute about it. I laughed, but I can't explain what was funny. It's a weird little movie that I enjoyed.

B+

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]