Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit 

What grade would you give this film?
A 29%  29%  [ 7 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 24

College Boy Z

Post Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Quote:
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit is a 2005 British clay-mation animated horror film, the first feature-length Wallace and Gromit film. It was produced by DreamWorks Animation and Aardman Animations, and released by DreamWorks Pictures. The film was directed by Nick Park and Steve Box and produced at the Aardman Animations studio in Bristol, United Kingdom.

The film followed eccentric inventor Wallace (voiced by Peter Sallis) and his intelligent but silent dog, Gromit, as they come to the rescue of the residents of a village which is being plagued by a mutated rabbit before the annual vegetable competition.

The Curse of the Were-Rabbit introduced a number of new characters, and featured a voice cast including Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes. It was the final film to feature the distributor, DreamWorks Pictures. It was a critical and commercial success, and won a number of film awards including the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

Last edited by zingy on Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:30 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Possibly the best movie of the year. I am NOT joking.

We should be so lucky to see movies that are this entertaining, clever, and hilarious. I haven't been so filled with glee at a movie in....I have no idea when. This is a treat for us all. I hope some of the more skeptical among us will give it a chance. It's just. So. Good.

The homages to classic horror movies/cliches keep coming. The chase scenes are exciting as hell. It's got that dry British humor seeping from every pore. It's as good as anything Pixar has made, and blows Chicken Run out of the water.

I expected to like it, but I'm stunned at how...perfect...it was.

And the Madagasacar (yeeeech!) short...a few clever moments, but eh.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:25 am
Indiana Jones IV

I agree its among the best this year, my third favourite behind Batman and Sith. I'm not a big fan of family films but this was undeniably terrific, better than Nemo and Incredibles, and the jokes were extremely clever.

Honestly, those of you here who were planning on skipping it: you don't know what you're missing. Go watch it. If you do go and you don't like it, then this recommendation at least did you a favour in that you'll know once and for all you have bad taste and that'll help in future decisions by telling you to avoid else anything as great as this ;) What have you got to lose?

B+

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

This is one of the best films of the year. This movie is hilarious and was the perfect length. I love Wallace and Gromit, I hope there is a sequel. The Madagascar short was good too, but I agree on it being a little on the long side. I highly recommend this film.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:45 pm
Kypade

Well, my plan was to get up kinda early and see Thumbsucker and Grizzly Man...but I didn't get to sleep until 4 am or so and slept til one, so that kinda sucked (relying on the buses for now).

Anyway, I ended up checking out this, since the reviews are so great and it looked good..

First of all, it was a good reminder of why I try to see movies at 1145 am on Tuesdays, rather than Sat. at 4-5pm. Man do little kids suck. I mean, I like little kids...they're usually great creatures...but they don't belong in movie theaters. Neither do their parents, who explain every little obvious thing to their child before it happens. "Ooh, look, I bet the rabbit ISNT the monster." I heard 5 or 6 different parents say that as Gromit is following the footsteps to Wallace's room. So annoying.

Anyway, all that aside, the film is indeed great. Incredibly fun. Great story. Great animation. Often very hilarious. Really, really good. Probably the most pure fun this year.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:31 pm
Veteran

A very funny and sweet movie. It is almost impossible not to like Gromit. Not a very kid-friendly story. My daughter loved it just the same.

B+

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:34 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

If one were to rate it a F, at least have the courtesy to say why.

It is not like you cannot have a different opinion. This movie is not going to interest everybody. Just say why.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

There is absolutely no way that anyone who actually saw this gave it an F. Wouldn't happen.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Well Korrgan in another thread gives it a C-. So its not impossible.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:32 pm
College Boy Z

There is absolutely no way that anyone who actually saw this gave it an F. Wouldn't happen.

Why not?

Not that I'm saying it's credible or anything, but why can't someone give it an F?

Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:24 pm
Indiana Jones IV

yoshue wrote:

Why not?

Not that I'm saying it's credible or anything, but why can't someone give it an F?

Because if one wishes to announce their mental health problems to the world, one should do so in the appropriate thread.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

There's always someone who will give an F, without ever seeing it, because they are just Grinches. How can anyone not like this film? A+.

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

saw this yesterday afternoon, cute and clever enjoyed it very much!

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
Hate to jump on this bandwagon but a solid A from me.

Its humour fits perfectly with my own and the nonstop sexual innuendos were killing me.

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:25 pm
Veteran

Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:33 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A-/B+

the little T.V. shorts were far better but it was still a good watch overal :smile:

Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

This is one of the most wonderful, delightful films I have ever seen. What I find remarkable is how is manages to be cheecky (to use one of its own terms, hehe) and yet remain innocent and downright sweet all the time. It's also incredible how masterful of a job it does in bringing an entire town and its inhabitants to life in such a short time. The film is well structured as well; I couldn't think of any single scene that was superfluous.

B+ (maybe an A-? Dunno, doesn't really make much of a difference; the film is great)

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Easily the most delightful film I've seen in forever, and my #5 of the year (So far). A

Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Last year was relaly not a good one for animated film and this disappointing feature didn't make it any better to me. Wallace & Gromit disappointed me. I think the thing works better in shorts than a full feature flick because I did enjoy the shorts quite a bit, but not the full-length feature, at least not to the same extent. Chicken Run was vastly superior, in my opinion.

This is not to say that Wallce & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit didn't have enjoyable moments. I certainly appreciated the way it alluded to many classics of horror cinema, but for the most part I was simply bored, especially in the second half sinc eht efirst half at least provided some nice laughs and puns. Tim Burton's Corpse Bride stands as the best animated film of 2005 to me, as of now.

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

It's not bad, but a mystery about gardening and vegetable-eating? It kind've bored me, especially in the 1st half. I didn't really laugh throughout the film, at all. I also found that the "love-interest" Totti was not a very good character, she was terribly bland and unlikable with a terrible voice.

Now onto the positive. The second half was exciting, featuring of course their trademark chase sequences. In the Kong-like finale, it was a great movie. But I was just uninterested for the rest of the movie. It's not bad, but I agree with Lecter that the shorts were a lot better than Were-rabbit.

Corpse Bride was the better movie for me.

Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:03 pm
Golfaholic

Excellent, lovable, but nowhere near as funny as I hoped for. B

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:03 pm
Teh Mexican

Very funny and cute!, Chicken Run still is the best :happy:

B+

Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:42 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Can't add too much, other than it was a highly enjoyable movie that was very easy to watch.

A

Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:59 am
I just lost the game

Not bad, but not great. It wasn't as funny as I was anticipating. I guess some of the jokes just fell flat on me; I'm not sure. The animation was FANTASTIC! Overall it was a decent, chipper little film, but ultimately frivolous.

B-

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next