Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Straight Story 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Straight Story 
College Boy Z

Post The Straight Story
The Straight Story

Quote:
The Straight Story is a 1999 film directed by David Lynch. The film was edited and produced by Mary Sweeney, Lynch's longtime partner and co-worker. She co-wrote the script with John E. Roach.

The Straight Story is based on the true story of Alvin Straight's journey across Iowa and Wisconsin on a lawnmower. Alvin, (played by Richard Farnsworth) is an elderly World War II veteran who lives with his daughter Rose (Sissy Spacek), a kind woman with a mental disability. When he hears that his estranged brother Lyle (Harry Dean Stanton) has suffered a stroke, Alvin makes up his mind to go visit him and hopefully make amends before he dies. But because Alvin's legs and eyes are too impaired for him to receive a driving license, he hitches a trailer to his recently purchased thirty year-old John Deere 110 Lawn tractor and sets off on the 240-mile journey from Laurens, Iowa to Mount Zion, Wisconsin.

The film follows the story of Alvin's six-week journey across rural America, the people he meets, his impact on their lives, and theirs on his. It has been called a modern odyssey of a man dealing with his own mortality and mistakes and the lasting bonds of family.

Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:08 pm
Forum General

Richard Farnsworth's performance in this is one of my favorites.

It's also one of my favorite films.

A

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It's a very, very slow movie pace-wise, but it never left me bored. Not much happens, yet it is an involving movie. Richard Farnsworth delivers in an amazing performance and if it wasn't for Kevin Spacey in the same year, it would be my favorite male performance of that year. Too bad this great actor passed away. He made this movie.

I thought that Sissy Spacek's character was annoying and really unnecessary and it was her who brought down the movie to me overall. Without her, I believe this would be a masterpiece in my eyes. Ah well. It is still a great movie that somehow got lost in a snuffle and went pretty unrecognized in its year. For shame.

The cinematography is great and so is the movie's score. The story is interesting, but hands down the best moment was when Alvin sits down with his brother at the very end. This is one of the most touching scenes I have ever seen in a movie and one of the few ever that made me teary-eyed.

Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:44 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It captures a true spirit and some 'americana' along the way...

If you liked this slow movie you might also enjoy Kitchen Stories......
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cheers...

Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

The story is interesting, but hands down the best moment was when Alvin sits down with his brother at the very end. This is one of the most touching scenes I have ever seen in a movie and one of the few ever that made me teary-eyed.

That killed me.

Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I tried to watch this again a few weeks ago but it was just too sad in light of Farnsworth's suicide. Great performance from a good actor and from what I've read, a really good human being. :sad:

Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:33 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I tried to watch this again a few weeks ago but it was just too sad in light of Farnsworth's suicide. Great performance from a good actor and from what I've read, a really good human being. :sad:

I totally forgot that it was suicide... :sad:

I just looked it up, and it appeared as though he had terminal cancer?

:sad:

Again, though, this is a fantastic film.

Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:37 am
Profile WWW
Kypade

heh...i requested this and never posted:/

I adored this film.

It was so peaceful and fun to watch. the characters (or, caricature, even) were incredible...rarely have i found myself so involved in a set of fictional persons.

if i ever get around to money and buying DVDs, I'll probably pick this up.

Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:00 am
INRI

Post Re: The Straight Story
hans riegel's review of this was not better than shu butterbrot's review of gbu, only shorter and therefore hans could be the spy and not shu, which was unfair and i demand gratification, but fortunately hans will never ever work for them again, only one month after this happened.

Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]