Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Junebug 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Junebug 
College Boy Z

Post Junebug
Junebug

Quote:
Junebug is a 2005 American comedy-drama film directed by Phil Morrison. It was released on August 3, 2005 and stars Amy Adams, Alessandro Nivola, Embeth Davidtz, and Benjamin McKenzie. It was filmed in Pfafftown, in McLeansville, New Mexico and in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:45 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Libs, Dkmuto, dolce? Where are those reviews? This will be coming to a theater near me soon enough, and this thread has received no love from those who have seen it.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:32 pm
Sbil

Well, I loved it. It's a very quiet, insightful movie. The cast is uniformly excellent, but Amy Adams gives a performance so poignant and heartwarming as Ashley that we can see through her that she is (as Roger Ebert said) a truly brave, courageous person. She is the heart of the movie and it will be a shame if Adams doesn't receive award consideration. A-

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:37 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Well, I loved it. It's a very quiet, insightful movie. The cast is uniformly excellent, but Amy Adams gives a performance so poignant and heartwarming as Ashley that we can see through her that she is (as Roger Ebert said) a truly brave, courageous person. She is the heart of the movie and it will be a shame if Adams doesn't receive award consideration. A-

She probably will get some recognition, since the film probably won't, even though it was very well reviewed.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/junebug/

Reviews counted: 81
Fresh: 70 Rotten: 11
Average Rating: 7.5/10

86% FRESH

Cream of the Crop
FRESH 93%
Avg. Rating: 7.8/10

I'm hoping this comes around me soon.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:53 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Seeing this within the next few days. Anybody seen this or planning to see it?

Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:05 pm
Award Winning Bastard

I honestly didn't know what to expect. The trailer was ok, but I thought the poster was dumb, and after seeing the film, I think it's one of the best posters I've seen. I was planning on seeing this on Monday, but I skipped football today and went instead.

It even has a Merekat (sp?) :tongue:

This film hit a personal note with me, because my mom is from North Carolina, so the country hicks who are distrusting of the smarter "city slickers", the red dirt, the brick houses, etc... were all things I was very familiar with. Those church thingy get togethers are also something I'm familiar with, with that great southern cooking, and hymn singers. :lol:

All of the praise that Amy Adams has been receiving has been justified. As Ashley, she gave a harm warming performance, overly inquisitive, but just the friendliest and sweetest of people. She didn't deserve to lose the baby, and she didn't deserve to have such a jerk for a boyfriend. Johnny was a dick.

Speaking of dicks, what was that artist guy's infatuation with drawing huge penises in his portraits? :hahaha:

I knew I had seen the mother before, but I couldn't place her, and after I got back, I saw that she was in Hulk, but much to my surprise, she played Jolene the waitress in the 70's sitcom, Alice. She didn't hold up too well. :ohmy:

I found all of the characters to be engaging and 3 dimensional, and the film was well paced. It definitely would be a shame if the academy didn't recognize it, and especially the standout performance of Amy Adams, who really steals the film from a well acted ensemble cast.

Very good movie!

B+

Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:02 pm
Forum General

It's the best, most moving film I've seen all year, though. Bar none.

Everything about it is pretty much pitch perfect: the acting, the writing, the director's odd use of audio. It all pulled me in. I said earlier that I thought it was the best film I've seen since Million Dollar Baby, but I'd go far enough as to even say that it could be the best I've seen since Eternal Sunshine (and I love my Eternal Sunshine).

And while it is a quiet, understated, generally light film, be prepared for the ending. It's pretty heavy.

A

Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

*bump*, since a few people have seen it recently.

I loved it, and I also thought Amy Adams was pretty darn wonderful.

I'm going to watch it again tomorrow, just to confirm my grade but I'd give it an A for now.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:55 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

awesome look at how different middle america is from the big city environment. Amy Adams won me over.

A-

Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:35 am
New Server, Same X

Probably the most subtle film of the year. There's nothing that stands out (well, aside from Amy Adams, who is easily my favorite to win Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars), but the film is just so damn good. One of my favorites of the year. I'm actually a little pissed that this didn't get more awards attention. This film is just as good or better than all of the films nominated for Best Picture, but then again, so are "Walk the Line", "Cinderella Man", "Sin City", etc. So I'll just have to live with knowing how great this movie is.

Grade: A

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:47 pm
Teenage Dream

02. The Devil's Rejects
03. Junebug

Junebug would be number one this year if the two films above it weren't among my all time favorites.

This is about as close to a perfect film you can get. There are moments in this film filled with an indescribable amount of truth and discovery. It's overwhelming at certain points.

Enough has been said about the radiant Amy Adams. It's all true. What has been skipped over, though, is just how perfect the rest of the cast is. Embeth Davidtz is nearly as good as Adams. Ben McKenzie is a total revelation. His character is basically a dead beat almost-dad, but his beautiful performance elevates this stereotype to something incredibly human and heartbroken. His scene with Davidtz in the kitchen has to be seen to be believed. It's two actors at the top of their game, and it's stunning. Scott Wilson's performance is also commendable. He doesn't have much dialogue in the film, but he is able to convey incredible emotions through his face and his movements. He is a broken man, and we feel it deeply.

The best aspect of the film, though, is it's portrayal of the Christian conservative southern family. They are never reduced to harsh caricatures. They are living, breathing people, with hopes, fears, strengths, and weaknesses. It's a family that we could find ourselves in.

This one cuts deep. A

Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:50 pm
Sbil

This is such a small film (it made under $2M total, I believe) and she was barely a blip on the radar screen before.

She overcame a ton of obstacles to get a nomination but deserves it (and deserves to win, imo).

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:47 pm
Kypade

the dvd netflix sent me broke about i dunno, towards the end. they were headed towards the hospital, i think.

and then, i went to try to skip a scene to watch the rest (scene selection), and the stupid titles of the scenes ruined the end of the film. (it wouldnt play anyways).

so i did not get it done.

but, what i saw was...

bad.

not even "meh" but like, actually bad. it was completely disinteresting (couldnt keep me attentive for more than 5 min at a time). for the most part, the acting felt like line reading. yknow the type...every once in a while, there's a film where the acting is just kinda...there. it doesnt feel like acting. right? (Elephant suffers from this immensely.) That's pretty much how this felt. as far as amy adams goes, i'm not sure i believe the hype, but she was pretty much the best part of the film, (despite having one of the most annoying characters of the year - she is the pregnant girl, right? :o) Speaking of which (characters) :down: to alla em.

i dunno. coulda been me, i guess, but i just found very, very little to like.

is it recommended that i get a new disk and rewatch the whole thing?

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:06 am
Forum General

first...

the dvd netflix sent me broke about i dunno, towards the end. they were headed towards the hospital, i think.

and then, i went to try to skip a scene to watch the rest (scene selection), and the stupid titles of the scenes ruined the end of the film. (it wouldnt play anyways).

so i did not get it done.

but, what i saw was...

bad.

not even "meh" but like, actually bad. it was completely disinteresting (couldnt keep me attentive for more than 5 min at a time). for the most part, the acting felt like line reading. yknow the type...every once in a while, there's a film where the acting is just kinda...there. it doesnt feel like acting. right? (Elephant suffers from this immensely.) That's pretty much how this felt. as far as amy adams goes, i'm not sure i believe the hype, but she was pretty much the best part of the film, (despite having one of the most annoying characters of the year - she is the pregnant girl, right? :o) Speaking of which (characters) :down: to alla em.

i dunno. coulda been me, i guess, but i just found very, very little to like.

is it recommended that i get a new disk and rewatch the whole thing?

If you thought it wasn't interesting, then I don't know if the rest would do much for you, but...

By missing the hospital scenes and those following them, you pretty much missed the heart of the film.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I felt like I was back at home in Oklahoma watching this. At first I wondered what all the fuss was about re. Amy Adams, but by the end she won me over. Great performance. She might pull a big upset on Oscar night. My grade: B.

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 am
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I loved this movie so much! It was so amazing. Amy Adams is so freaking incredible, and she steals every scene in this movie. Her character is just so wacky, and upbeat, and I loved her. This is basically her film. Every time she came on screen I got excited. All of the other actors are great here too. Ben Mackenzie takes a turn here for The O.C., and he does a fantastic job. He's good at playing an asshole. He really nailed his role. This film moved me, and although it has slow pacing I really didn't care because it was a great film, and a good character study. I would definitely put it in my Top 10 films of the year. I'm glad I got the opportunity to see it. :)

A

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:24 am
Profile YIM WWW

I finally saw this gem of a film, and Adams was robbed.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:20 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Amy Adams performance is heartbreaking. Her characters self-realisation at the end is just hard to digest.

Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:49 pm
life begins now

While the film itself left a lot to be desired, Amy Adams gives the best performance by a female in 2005. I was happy for Rachel Weisz, but Adams was far superior.

B

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:25 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

Post Re: Junebug
Pretty great movie. I wanted to see this for years but never got around it till now. Enough has been said about Adams performance and it's all true, but I was really surprised about Ben McKenzie. He nailed his part as all of the others did. B+

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Junebug
Amy Adams aside, I really did not enjoy Junebug.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]