Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Super Size Me 

What grade would you give this film?
A 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 16

Super Size Me 
College Boy Z

Post Super Size Me
Super Size Me

Quote:
Super Size Me is a 2004 American documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock, an American independent filmmaker. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day period from February 1 to March 2, 2003 during which he eats only McDonald's food. The film documents this lifestyle's drastic effects on Spurlock's physical and psychological well-being, and explores the fast food industry's corporate influence, including how it encourages poor nutrition for its own profit.

Spurlock dined at McDonald's restaurants three times per day, eating every item on the chain's menu. Spurlock consumed an average of 20.92 megajoules or 5,000 kcal (the equivalent of 9.26 Big Macs) per day during the experiment.

As a result, the then-32-year-old Spurlock gained 24½ lbs. (11.1 kg), a 13% body mass increase, a cholesterol level of 230, and experienced mood swings, sexual dysfunction, and fat accumulation in his liver. It took Spurlock fourteen months to lose the weight gained from his experiment using a vegan diet supervised by his future wife, who was a chef specializing in vegan dishes and gourmet.

The reason for Spurlock's investigation was the increasing spread of obesity throughout U.S. society, which the Surgeon General has declared "epidemic," and the corresponding lawsuit brought against McDonald's on behalf of two overweight girls, who, it was alleged, became obese as a result of eating McDonald's food [Pelman v. McDonald's Corp., 237 F. Supp. 2d 512]. Spurlock points out that although the lawsuit against McDonald's failed (and subsequently many state legislatures have legislated against product liability actions against producers and distributors of "fast food"), much of the same criticism leveled against the tobacco companies applies to fast food franchises whose product is both physiologically addictive and physically harmful.

The documentary was nominated for an Academy Award for Documentary Feature.

It has been reported that a comic book version of the movie is in the works with Dark Horse as the publisher.

Overrated.

The first half was very good, but after that, I just wasn't interested at all.

C+

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:55 am
We had our time together

One of the most senseless documentarys ever. D

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:18 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I really liked it. Probably my favorite documentary ever. He carries the movie well.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:20 am
The Original

8/10

Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:43 pm
Teenage Dream

Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:00 pm
Teh Mexican

Let get things clear....is he saying that because of McDonald's or any fast food restaurant, America has a Fat Ass?!? :glare:

thats the stupidest thing ever!, McDonald's is not the problem, is the people who dont eat right and dont make better choices, there the problem

THis guy got to eat shitty food for a month just to make a point?! like we didnt already know eating nothing but a Big Mac and a super sized fries and coke 3 times a day will make you fat! :roll: i mean who the hell does that and actually expect to be healthy

and please when they ask you to super size your meal, you dont have to say Yes!

D

Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:49 am
Some days I'm a super bitch

Not really hard-hitting or overly compelling, but entertaining and somewhat informative. Super Size Me is like that rare school assignment that you actually have fun with.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:05 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Probably one of the most boring and incredibly bias insights into 'Fat America'.

F - worst film of 2004

Last edited by getluv on Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:42 pm
You must have big rats

You know, now I understand how people feel who are offended by Crash (and apparently, there are quite a couple of them here). I was offended by the sheer idiocy of this movie. I can just agree with what matatonio said in his post. This movie makes idiotic statements, stupid assumptions...I just can't even put in words how worthless this documentary is. I admit, I laughed twice or so and I found a couple of the additional scenes on the DVD rather interesting (especially the interview with Eric Schlosser). Other than that, I find nothing that redeems this movie to me. I have a hunch that "Subway" paid Morgan Spurlock to make this movie, seriously.

Indeed, Spurlock says that part of the blame is on the consumers' side and part of it is on the fast food industry? Why?! That just escapes me. Only the consumers are to blame. If you want to be healthy, don't eat much fast food. Blame the parents, blame the consumers, but don't blame the industry. I understand when you make documentaries about corruption, arms industry, the big business...I can understand that. I might not always agree, but I understand why they make that because those things affect us whether we want that or not. But no one is coming up to you, putting a gun to your head and forcing you to eat at a McDonald's. Spurlock says there are no calories tables at McDonald's restaurants? Hell, people who willingly decide to go to a McDonald's don't care about calories to begin with. This is so...moronic.

I don't think Michael Moore's documentaries are very good. I don't think he has much knowledge of his stuff, but he is a good filmmaker. He is at least funny, knows how to entertain well. Morgan Spurlock doesn't. In comparison to Super Size Me, Moore's documentaries seem like milestones of film history. I really found this film offensive and I have hard time comprehending how people can "learn" anything from it.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:13 am
Profile WWW
life begins now

I dunno about McD's in big cities, but the one I work at has nutritional information on the back of every tray liner...some people do care, but I'd agree with Arthur that few care about what they eat if they are willing to eat fast food everyday. The movie was kinda cool, but it was blatantly obvious. It was neat to see just how much you would gain if you eat fast food everyday, but the whole concept was too blunt. I forget what I graded this, but I'd imagine it was a B or C.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:19 pm
Profile YIM
Killing With Kindness

F

This movie/documentary reeks of stupidity. I watched the first 5 minutes and turned it off.

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:06 am
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

c

Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:15 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re:
getluv wrote:
Probably one of the most boring and incredibly bias insights into 'Fat America'.

F - worst film of 2004

i should quote myself more often.

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:19 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Super Size Me
I loved this the first time I saw it but then it got overplayed at my school so I began getting tired of it and now I'm close to hating this documentary.

D+

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

maybe because i was never forced to see the film but decided to. I loved it

B+

Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:25 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is probably one of my favorite documentaries ever.

B+/A-

Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:17 pm
Profile YIM
Sbil

This wasn't particularly informative, but I really enjoyed it the last time I saw it. B+

Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:12 pm
Forum General

This film made me to never eat Macdonald fries ever again....

And I have only twice since I watched a few years back.

Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]