Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Brothers Grimm 

What grade would you give this film?
A 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 18

The Brothers Grimm 
Sbil

Post The Brothers Grimm
The Brothers Grimm

Quote:
The Brothers Grimm is a 2005 fantasy comedy film directed by Terry Gilliam. The film stars Matt Damon and Heath Ledger in an exaggerated portrait of the Brothers Grimm as traveling con-artists in French-occupied Germany during the late 18th century. However, the brothers eventually encounter a genuine fairy tale curse which requires real courage instead of their usual bogus exorcisms. Supporting roles are portrayed by Peter Stormare, Lena Headey, Jonathan Pryce, and Monica Bellucci.

In February 2001, Ehren Kruger sold his spec script for The Brothers Grimm to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). With Gilliam's hiring as director, the script was rewritten by Gilliam and Tony Grisoni, but the Writers Guild of America refused to credit them for their work, thus Kruger received sole credit. MGM eventually dropped out as distributor, but decided to co-finance The Brothers Grimm with Dimension Films and Summit Entertainment, while Dimension took over distribution duties.

The film was shot entirely in the Czech Republic, where Gilliam often had on-set tensions with brothers Bob and Harvey Weinstein. This caused the original theatrical release date to be pushed for nearly 10 months. The Brothers Grimm was finally released on August 26, 2005 with mixed reviews and a $105.32 million box office performance.

Last edited by Libs on Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:09 pm
Pure Phase

Great fun. Visually stunning, memorable humor, and great performances form one of summer 2005's most exciting films.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:19 pm
Aslan Reigns Supreme

The Brothers Grimm was a movie I went in and expected a poor script and poor acting. Instead I came out the theater with an awesome movie experience that I could not stop talking about. The movie starts out showing us how the Brothers Grimm tricked a town into believing that the town mill was haunted. However they are found out by the french and are told that they are to be killed. Of course to the rescue the French recall one town that is having children disappear. Of course the Brothers are sent to investigate the disappeances. As sidestories they show Red Riding Hood and Hansel and Gretel, which I wish were broadened out more while showing other characters as well.

When they get to the town discover that 10 girls have gone missing(had it been boys MJ would have prob done it) and are lead to the cursed house where we find the beautiful Angelika who helps as a tour guide through the woods which discover is truely haunted as the trees move. We are then told a story about how the forest revolves around this one tower that sounds like the story of Rapunzel. It is a very interesting movie that I actually recommend anyone to see even the doubters that think with delays comes a bad film. I think that time delays simplely give them time to tweak the film into something good. Now I am not saying time delays are always good as we know for a fact for this movie it was worth it.I would give this film a B+ mainly b/c I Damon and Ledger were very good. The down side was the French guy with a really bad french accent kept bugging the hell out of me I wanted to slap the dude.

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:36 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

A massively entertaining and engrossing fantasy with great performances and beautiful visuals.

9/10 (A-)

Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:23 am
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

Undeniably a bit of a mess, but the second half was mostly really good fantasy filmmaking, and the movie contained enough Gilliam-ness to make it worth at least a viewing.

I also thought Damon and Ledger had great, easy-going chemistry.

I'll give it a slightly generous B-

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:37 pm
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Sometimes dull but solid entertainment overall. Could've been better, but it could have been way worse. A decent way to kill close to two hours.

B-

Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I really liked it and it would have been more fun if my date had been quiet.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
laneyboy

I really liked it and it would have been more fun if my date had been quiet.

Looks like we had the same thing happen to us. My 2 friends would not stop laughing hysterically throughout the movie, which really distracted me and pissed me off. I'll need to see it a second time before giving it a final grade, but for now, it's a B.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I had problems in the audience, too! I was feeling *so* embarrassed, 'cause two of the women in our group that went together to the movie brought their kids. One of the women was kind enough to take her less-than-one-year-old daughter out of the theater at any signs of distress from the baby.... But my darned stepsister, instead of taking her son (who is now walking and *talking*) out of the theater when my nephew was starting to make noise (walking up and down the row, saying "Hi! Hi! Hi!"--cute at home, but NOT in the middle of a movie), would just pass him over to my stepmom.

So, yeah, I was rather distracted the entire time I was watching the film, and I *know* I missed some stuff. I really need to go see the movie again... in a VERY early showing during the week, so I can have a small audience and therefore less chance of missing something...

I still gave the movie an A, I believe. The story needed work, but the visuals and the directing were awesome. It was a really fun movie.

Joy

Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Just saw it; went to an early afternoon showing, and only my wife and I were in the theatre so no distracting kids to bother us!!

One of Gilliam's better ones, but still suffering from Gilliam's problems: actors who chew the scenery and sometimes rambling bits. His best films are heavily controlled by the studio and edited properly (12 Monkeys, Fisher King). But ironically I tend to rewatch his more personal films more (Time Bandits, Brazil, Baron Munchausen). I would have liked it a lot better if we didn't have the overacting Jonathan Pryce (who is usually much better) and that Italian guy. But if all else fails, you can always just sit back and enjoy the visuals.

A solid B

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Eh. That was my first reaction. Having not seen any of Gilliam's other films I didn't know what to expect [I own 12 Monkeys but have never watched it].

The first half was dull and poorly edited and at times very confusing as they set up the various characters. Once the main plot is revealed however the film begins to become more interesting and the plot begins to have some semblance of coherance.

The acting is overall good, and the chemistry between Damon and Ledger was undeniable. The cast delivered solid performances all around though none were true standouts.

The visuals were generally good, though the "thing" in the well was truly...odd. I wonder if the special effects creators had just finished a game of Kirby before creating that one.

Overall though it was an enjoyable movie. Nothing groundbreaking but a decent way to kill a few hours.

B

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:29 pm

I really enjoyed the film, but it had several weak spots, but overall above average

C+

Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:09 pm
Extraordinary

I quite liked it - there's surely not enough fairy tale adventure films made. Sure, it all coulda been tightened up a bit, but the awesome visual design and Damon and Ledger's characterizations carried me above any undertow there might have been.

4 out of 5.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:09 pm
All Star Poster

OMG THis was by far the worst movie i have ever seen in my life!!!! HORRIBLE!!!!!! F-.

The acting was horrible, the visuals were okay, and the story sucked big ones.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

C- I love Gilliam, but this was a huge mess.

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:23 am
Full Fledged Member

I saw this awhile ago. I liked the pastiche of fairytales concept. As well as the concept of con artists getting dragged into something real. Some of the special effects were lame - i.e. Wolf-man. However, I did love some of the visual designs and costumes. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Grade: B

Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:38 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

A dull, mediocre film. Just some good effects here and there, but overall, lame.

C-

Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:36 am
Lord of filth

The first thing Gilliam says on the commentary is that he did this for money and he didn't like the script. Hehehe.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:02 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The first thing Gilliam says on the commentary is that he did this for money and he didn't like the script. Hehehe.

Wow. Gotta admire the honesty.

Funnily enough, it was still a very decent movie.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 am
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

I hope this isn't terrible. It's on its way from Netflix.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:10 am
Profile YIM WWW
Lord of filth

It's not bad really. It's beautiful if anything. Costumes, sets, cinematography... all wonderful.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:14 am
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

It's not bad really. It's beautiful if anything. Costumes, sets, cinematography... all wonderful.

That's good. My dad wanted to see it so I guess I will watch it with him. Hopefully it turns out okay.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

I liked the movie's nods to different fairy tales.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I counted...

Jack and the Beanstalk (obvious)
Brother and Sister (turning into wolf, Gingerbread Man)
Cinderella (obvious)
The Frog Prince (obvious)
Hansel and Gretel (obvious)
Iron John (huntsman who never returns from forest, wild man)
King Thrusbeard (shallow princess)
Little Red Riding Hood (obvious)
Rapunzel (obvious)
The Raven (obvious)
Sleeping Beauty (obvious)
Snow White (multiple references)
The Tweleve Dancing Princesses (obvious)

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:31 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:

I counted...

Jack and the Beanstalk (obvious)
Brother and Sister (turning into wolf, Gingerbread Man)
Cinderella (obvious)
The Frog Prince (obvious)
Hansel and Gretel (obvious)
Iron John (huntsman who never returns from forest, wild man)
King Thrusbeard (shallow princess)
Little Red Riding Hood (obvious)
Rapunzel (obvious)
The Raven (obvious)
Sleeping Beauty (obvious)
Snow White (multiple references)
The Tweleve Dancing Princesses (obvious)

I didn't notice Iron John, but The Princess and the Pea is one I'd add.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:37 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next