Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Cave 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

The Cave 
Sbil

Post The Cave
The Cave

Quote:
The Cave is a 2005 horror film, directed by Bruce Hunt. It stars Cole Hauser, Eddie Cibrian, Morris Chestnut, Marcel Iureş, Lena Headey, Rick Ravanello, Piper Perabo and Daniel Dae Kim.

Last edited by Libs on Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:09 pm
Where will you be?

If you enjoy either either disaster movies like Vertical Limit or creature features like Alien and Pitch Black I think you'll have a damn good time. For my money, it was on par with Pitch Black (and actually made more sense) and better then three of the four Alien movies (Aliens being the only one I'd say it wasn't as good as). Unlike many PG-13 creature features, this one was very intense and well shot. I'd actually say that the production design and cinematography may have been the best thing about the movie, as it was very neat visually. The actors do what's asked, and no one hams it up, although there aren't any stand outs (Although I will say Morris Chestnut continues to be very charismatic with any supporting roles he has in action movies like this and Ladder 49). Thankfully, The Cave also avoids many of the problems that these movies have been faced with lately such as flashy hyperactive camera angles and over-the-top action. Instead, it managed to keep itself very gritty and stylish without becoming flamboyant. It's true that it mostly sticks to what you'd expect from the disaster and horror genre, but it manages to be an efficient, very entertaining mixture of those types of films. A- (Oh yeah, and for all you gore hounds out there bummed out that it's PG-13, don't worry, they still manage to get some very cool deaths in the movie.)

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:37 pm
Pure Phase

A mess. THE CAVE is worse than ANACONDAS: THE HUNT FOR THE BLOOD ORCHID! Its slow, has no excitement, and ends on an unsatisfying and stupid note. This is just as bad as Uwe Boll's films, a lame fumble which had the potential to be a fun creature feature.

D+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:22 pm
problem?

About 45 minutes into it I realized this was a waste of money, and after it ended I oh-so-wanted my wasted time back. :sad:

F, second worst movie of the year, right after White Noise.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:01 pm
College Boy Z

After a good six months of anticipation for this film to be released, I must say...I'm dissapointed. Not that it was awful like some are describing it, but there wasn't much good about it, either. I felt bored until the last 15 minutes of the film, and the movie just felt like it was dragging on at times. Being filmed underwater for some parts, the camera got extremely shaky, which annoyed me a little. I never really got excited in this film, which usually doesn't happen for these types of movies. The movie is good to look at with nice visuals, cool looking creatures, etc. I'd say that if not for the exciting, fun last 15 minutes of this movie, I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all. I liked the ending...a lot. It's no Pitch Black or Alien(s), that's for sure. C

Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:02 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

So would you all recommend waiting for the DVD to come out or what?? Come on, be honest now.. :-k

Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:21 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

So would you all recommend waiting for the DVD to come out or what?? Come on, be honest now.. :-k

A rental.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:30 pm
problem?

Also, I must say, if Piper Perabo had lived, I would have liked it just a bit more. Out of aaalll the characters, she was the only one I wanted to survive, and she died like.. third, after having the best scene in the entire movie. :nonono:

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:38 pm
College Boy Z

Also, I must say, if Piper Perabo had lived, I would have liked it just a bit more. Out of aaalll the characters, she was the only one I wanted to survive, and she died like.. third, after having the best scene in the entire movie. :nonono:

I know. :sad:

I hate it when characters are told not to do something, and do it anyways, and die.

Heh. On the way out of the theater, a bunch of people were talking about a sequel because of the ending...

:huh:

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:41 pm
Where will you be?

Really? I gotta say, I thought that Tops (Morris Chestnut) was easily the most level headed and likable person of the group.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:49 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This has officially replaced ALONE IN THE DARK as the worst film of the year. What a boring, pointless and stupid piece of shit! I couldn't wait for it to end and it became increasingly groan-inducing as it went on. The only thing that saves this from a failing grade is Piper Perabo, the only half-decent actor in the cast. Everyone else is slumming it, giving some of the worst performances of the year. The story is completely ridiculous and unrealistic and the film itself isn't scary in the slightest. Well, that's not completely true. It's scary how bad it is. Everything just doesn't work. At the beginning it moves too fast so you have no clue what is going on, and then at the end it moves at such a slow and repetitive pace that you can't wait for it to end. DO NOT see this horrible excuse for a film!

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:00 am
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I agree! Piper was one of the only reasons I saw this movie since I think she's a great and underrated actress. I was hoping that everyone else would die and she would be the only survivor :P

Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:01 am
Profile YIM
The Greatest Avenger EVER

THE CAVE - 3/10 (D-)

This has officially replaced ALONE IN THE DARK as the worst film of the year. What a boring, pointless and stupid piece of ####! I couldn't wait for it to end and it became increasingly groan-inducing as it went on. The only thing that saves this from a failing grade is Piper Perabo, the only half-decent actor in the cast. Everyone else is slumming it, giving some of the worst performances of the year. The story is completely ridiculous and unrealistic and the film itself isn't scary in the slightest. Well, that's not completely true. It's scary how bad it is. Everything just doesn't work. At the beginning it moves too fast so you have no clue what is going on, and then at the end it moves at such a slow and repetitive pace that you can't wait for it to end. DO NOT see this horrible excuse for a film!

Well your assessment of this should please the Good Doctor, Uwe Boll..

Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:40 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Dissapointing to say the least. It had some great potential but seriously lacked the coherance for it to be a truely enjoyable movie. The death scenes were poorly edited and so fast it was all but impossible to discern what in fact was going on.

The acting was decent overall, but there were no standouts in the cast. The creatures were not the most original and when it is explained what they actually are, the film looses its last semblance of believability. For a decent campy monster film, that requires a brain check at the door, the film is good. For an intelligent film that could easily have been a highly developed version of the classic cat-and-mouse, the film fails on nearly every level.

Not the worst movie of the year, but far from the best. A stylish production sadly couldn't save this film. C+

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:35 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Yeah, she and Tyler were the only characters I really cared for. I was definately not pleased when she was killed off.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:35 pm
I just lost the game

D

Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:02 am
New Server, Same X

Okay, here's my problems with The Cave (I got a few):

-There are NO stand-outs in the cast. The two leads are probably the only two, and I wouldn't even call them stand-outs. The rest were just faces to me, and most of the time, I didn't really care about them. They don't develop the characters, they don't give us time to figure the characters out, and so whenever someone dies, I say "Umm... alright then. Whoever the hell he/she was supposed to be."

-The movie is like Blair Witch in many scenes. The camera movement is far too unsteady, so most of the time, I have no fucking idea what is going on. We move in on their hand movements, then move around as they're killed, then move to and fro while things are happening. KEEP IT STEADY, for fuck's sake.

-Combining the first two points with the fact that the film is an uninteresting mess, and you have a pretty horrible experience.

I'm with Zing on the fact that the last ten or so minutes are half-decent, but the rest is god-awful. The first 70 minutes are up there with the crap from Alone in the Dark. The last 10 make up half-decent (and I do mean half-decent) entertainment. That alone does not justify a rating above a D.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:12 pm
I just lost the game

Ditto Mr. X, basically. I had no idea who was what, int erms of the relationships to eachother I know there were two hot chicks, some Russian guy, a black guy, and some guy who was "infected". Even then, the camera work prevented me from telling them aprt anyway. The plot was incredibly generic (although the movie could have been something really good if they didn't follow the route of "the evil flesh-eating monsters") and the characters were in no way developed. The only good part was this one scene midway through in which one of the hot chicks was scaling the face of a "cliff" and battled with one of the monsters. I thought it was very well done, relatively speaking. Same with the climax. I thought the ending was a bit ridiculous, though. D.

Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]