Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shutter (2004) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Shutter (2004) 
College Boy Z

Post Shutter (2004)
Shutter

Quote:
Shutter (Thai: ชัตเตอร์ กดติดวิญญาณ) is a 2004 Thai horror film by Banjong Pisanthanakun and Parkpoom Wongpoom; starring Ananda Everingham, Natthaweeranuch Thongmee, and Achita Sikamana. It focuses on mysterious images seen in developed pictures.

The film was remade in the United States in 2008 under the same title.

Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:45 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Without a doubt one of the creepiest and most intense horror movies ever. In fact, I would argue that this is the one film that has actually scared me more then anything I've seen thus far.

From the moment the opening credits begin this is no ordinary film. The music, the cinematography and the style are all brilliant and all add to the frightening atmosphere of the film. By the time the ending is revealed, this is one film that will stick with you for quite a while.

Shutter is one film not to be missed. A

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:26 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

The more I sit and think about this film, the more disturbing it is. Even though I watched it in non-ideal conditions, this really is a very unsettling film.

If anyone gets a chance, see it. It is not one to be missed.

Of note, Hollywood is creating a remake in English, but I can guarentee it will be nowhere near as good as this version.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:11 am
You must have big rats

In a year of an immense horror film wave from over the pond, the horror movie that stood out to me the most was this Thai flick. The original plot outline is simple. A young couple coming back from the party runs over a girl and leave her there for dead. Shortly after that a ghost starts haunting them. So far so good. It doesn't sound like anything particulary original or different, but that's only on the first look. Once the movie unfolds it presents itself as a well thoughout-out and surprisingly dramatic story with a few shocking twists which all culminate in an ending that you won't forget anytime soon.

I saw this one during the Fantasy Film Festival in Cologne this year and I must say that thinking about this flick felt creepy even days after I have seen it. This movie instantly elevated into the Top 3 of the scariest movies I have ever seen. I can't remember the last time I was so scared in a movie theatres. Actually I can, it was when the first The Ring movie came out, but Shutter certainly rivals it for scares.

The movie starts out very clichéd, but develops into an amazing psychological horror/thriller pretty fast. Yes, the elements of Ringu and Ju-On are still there. A ghost seeking revenge represented by a dark-haired dead girl, but the way the concept is approached this time is entirely different. After this movie I certainly never will look at my camera in the same way. The ending twist has gotta be one of the most shocking (literally) I have ever seen and for one, I definitely did not see this one coming. The movie is well-done and should serve as an example to Hollywood as to how to make an actually scary horror movie nowadays that has almost not a single momoent in it that is not filled with suspense and is yet able to come up with a decent story behind the scares.

The acting is good, the cinematography is great and the editing is very tight. This is an all-around good movie that is in my Top 3 of 2005 as of now and will certainly remain in my Top 10 once the year is over. I strongly, strongly recommend this to anyone who likes to be scared and who appreciates well-made horror films of which we see only a very few nowadays.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Im going to see if i can find this,can you get it at blockbuster?
And i hope it dosent end up dissapointing me like The Eye and The Ring,those films were very much hyped and i found them laughable and bad.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

And i hope it dosent end up dissapointing me like The Eye and The Ring,those films were very much hyped and i found them laughable and bad.

I am pretty sure it doesn't have an US release date yet.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

neo_wolf wrote:

Uhm... is there any way you know of to see this film, through uh, other methods? ;)

Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:09 am
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
neo_wolf wrote:

Uhm... is there any way you know of to see this film, through uh, other methods? ;)

Yes, like Jeff did it. Unfortunately, if I name it here, Tony Montana will come and arrest me, but PM RogueCommander for details on the movie and the subtitles. : )

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

MovieDude wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
neo_wolf wrote:

Yes, like Jeff did it. Unfortunately, if I name it here, Tony Montana will come and arrest me, but PM RogueCommander for details on the movie and the subtitles. : )

If he figures it out, he can tell me what I'm doing wrong. :sad:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:30 pm
Where will you be?

Shutter A Easily one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It twists the genre on it's head to make the somewhat overused ghost with black long hair into a genuinely terrifying prescence. Although the ending is all but guaranteed to catch you off guard, kudos to the film for not waiting 40 minutes to bring on the scares, they start early and keep coming. A scene involving a car was especially frightening, although the climax is the indisputably most frightening scene in the film, and one of the most terrifying in film history. Shutter is a MUST see for any horror fan, or anyone even slightly frightened by The Ring or The Grudge.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:49 am
You must have big rats

Yes!! I knew you'd love it. Seriously, anyone who likes horror, needs to see it ASAP!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:35 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Yes!! I knew you'd love it. Seriously, anyone who likes horror, needs to see it ASAP!

I wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong so I could watch it. :mad:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:06 pm
College Boy Z

I still don't have any subtitles on mine. :sad:

Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:19 pm
Where will you be?

Both you guys have my AIM name, I can help you get it to work. PM me if I'm not on.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:29 pm
Award Winning Bastard

Both you guys have my AIM name, I can help you get it to work. PM me if I'm not on.

If you are on tonight, I'll contact you about it. It's frustrating, and I've tried a few differeent things. The best I've got was sound with no picture.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:33 pm
You must have big rats

MovieDude wrote:

If you are on tonight, I'll contact you about it. It's frustrating, and I've tried a few differeent things. The best I've got was sound with no picture.

Try that program I gave ya!

Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

MovieDude wrote:

I think you need this XVid download. Trust me, I was on the same page you are, and there are a few other things you need to do, but if I can guide ya through it I think you should be able to get it working by tonight.

Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:11 pm
Teh Mexican

It wasnt all that scary...but i just crapped my pants in two scenes...seriously. In the car scene when Natre appears in the back of the car, that made me cry. the other one was in the bedroom shes Next to Tun :blush: .... THis is the first time in a long time ive been scared like that.

I loved the ending, it was just brilliant!... and im going to try and walk straight for the rest of my life :fear: :cry:

A-

Last edited by matatonio on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:27 pm
College Boy Z

It wasnt all that scary

matatonio wrote:
THis is the first time in a long time ive been scared by a horror movie.

:|

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:38 pm
Teh Mexican

matatonio wrote:
It wasnt all that scary

matatonio wrote:
THis is the first time in a long time ive been scared by a horror movie.

:|

well... yeah... ummm. I was kind of talking about those two scenes

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:49 pm
ef star star kay

I'm Thai, but I'm not that impressed with this movie.. sure, it's good stuff.. but not that good

B+

try Art of Devil 2 (do not watch the first part), 13 Beloved.. they both are pretty good..

Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:09 pm
You must have big rats

It wasnt all that scary...but i just crapped my pants in two scenes...seriously. In the car scene when Natre appears in the back of the car, that made me cry. the other one was in the bedroom shes Next to Tun :blush: .... THis is the first time in a long time ive been scared like that.

I loved the ending, it was just brilliant!... and im going to try and walk straight for the rest of my life :fear: :cry:

A-

I told ya! :D

I just saw it again recently. It is not that scary anymore on the second viewing (during the first those two scenes really killed me), but the ending is still very very VERY creepy.

Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Definetly one of the best Jump Horrors i've ever seen Shutter uses all the old tricks but never feels trite or predictable.

I mean you can tick off all the horror boxes.
Screeching score during the scary bits: Check
The mass of out and out jump out of you're seat moments: Check
Freaky yet oddly attractive Asian girl on a mission to brown you're pants: Check

And even thou most of it is well telegraphed before hand you'll still be jumping. The scare count also seems to increase the further into the movie you go from 1 scare every 5 minutes to 1 ever 2 minutes until you get to the scenes in the stairwell where it seems the film is actively trying to give you a heart attack.

The ending is chilling to the very bone and i'll definetly be burning this to disc (damn lack of a English release thank God for Torrents) and pimping to friends.

Thanks to Rogue for this thread this film is a real find.

The thought of a US remake is depressing. I mean it'll have far more bland characters and it'll definetly remove the the reason of the spirits pissed off state in an attempt to update it for retarded multiplex teens. The thought of me mentioning this film in the future and someone going they liked the American version and couldn't be bothered with the original makes me want to pick up a baseball bat. But for now I can just think of this movie and change my shorts.

A

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:17 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Thanks to Rogue for this thread this film is a real find.

The thought of a US remake is depressing. I mean it'll have far more bland characters and it'll definetly remove the the reason of the spirits pissed off state in an attempt to update it for retarded multiplex teens. The thought of me mentioning this film in the future and someone going they liked the American version and couldn't be bothered with the original makes me want to pick up a baseball bat. But for now I can just think of this movie and change my shorts.

A

Yeah, the American remake will most likely suck...but there will always be the original for us.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:32 pm
now we know

A decent enough film but it relies heavily on jump scares instead of creating a sense of dread or fear, and to be honest, I'm not scared of little school girls wearing Halloween make-up. It was done much more convincingly in The Grudge and film from Japan. The film was still kind of well-made and I enjoyed it somewhat. Perhaps it was because of the beautiful and serene Natthaweeranuch Thongmee, because it surely wasn't because this film is scary. It did give me a good and unexpected laugh, though. When the ladyboy is taking a shit. LOL.

C+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:40 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next