Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The 40-Year-Old Virgin 

What grade would you give this film?
A 45%  45%  [ 25 ]
B 34%  34%  [ 19 ]
C 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 56

The 40-Year-Old Virgin 
New Server, Same X

The 40 Year Old Virgin was funny at times, but I never found it hysterically so, but it was a nice way to kill 2 hours. This definitely is a case of internet exaggerating, or else a bunch of people need to rent some 80's comedies to see what truely great comedy is. It was enjoyable, but ultimately, forgetable fare. It's definitely not as good as Wedding Crashers, either from the comedy or the romance POV.

Agreed on ALL points.

Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:15 pm
Extraordinary

This definitely is a case of internet exaggerating, or else a bunch of people need to rent some 80's comedies to see what truely great comedy is.

As an actual internet reviewer in these forums I would like to declare that I was not exaggerating, when I said that I felt it was the funniest movie of the year. (...and I can't wait to hear your list of "truly great" comedies of the 80's...)

Quote:
It's definitely not as good as Wedding Crashers, either from the comedy or the romance POV.

Sure, humor is always debatable - I'm honestly glad to hear you enjoyed Wedding Crashers compared to The 40 Year Old Virgin - but to compare the throwaway romance plot in WC to the integral romantic comedy plot in 40YOV is simply ludicrous!

(My theory is that you saw the Wedding Crashers with a livelier, more energized audience than you did with The 40 Year Old Virgin - the ambient crowd energy (ACE) can make a huge difference in anyone's perception/enjoyment of humor in a theatrical movie. If you want to neutralize that variable - see them both at a quiet matinee or wait for DVD - if you want to revel in the crowd experience - see them both with a hip weekend late show crowd. Think I'm exaggerating? Think back to your best live concert experience... how much of a role did the audience play in your experience of the performance? Be honest...)

(Either that, or you belonged to the "jock" crowd at your high school - which you fondly remember as the best years of your life and you absolutely hated the movie Napoleon Dynamite...)

:poke:

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:42 am
Award Winning Bastard

(My theory is that you saw the Wedding Crashers with a livelier, more energized audience than you did with The 40 Year Old Virgin - the ambient crowd energy (ACE) can make a huge difference in anyone's perception/enjoyment of humor in a theatrical movie. If you want to neutralize that variable - see them both at a quiet matinee or wait for DVD - if you want to revel in the crowd experience - see them both with a hip weekend late show crowd. Think I'm exaggerating? Think back to your best live concert experience... how much of a role did the audience play in your experience of the performance? Be honest...)

Sorry, bradley, I'll have to list my favorite 80's truely great comedies another time, but I couldn't resist poking a hole in your theory.

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 806#398806

I saw Wedding Crashers today at the 1:15 showing, and I got to enjoy the theater to myself. I'd heard all the raves, but far too many times, people on the internet exaggerate, and giving an accurate account of a movie takes a back seat to falling in line. As I watched Wedding Crashers, that same olf familiar feeling of internet exaggerations became evident early on. However, as soon as the gang went away to the family home, it went to another level, and had plenty of laughs, but enough sweetness to qualify as a bit of a romcom, which it really was at heart. Definitely a sheep in wolf's clothing.

The two leads did well, even though Vince Vaughn is completely ripping off Rick Ducommun's schtick, and if you don't believe me, just watch The 'burbs sometime. Henry Gibson, who was in both this and The 'burbs would, no doubt, agree. Regardless, Vaughn did fine, and was in some hilarious situations, especially when he was tied to the bed, and when he was telling Wilson about his sock, the one he wore all day and played football in, being shoved in his mouth and duct taped...hahaha. Owen Wilson was very good, too, and if he ever got that horrendous honer of his fixed, he might have a future as a romantic leading man. The supporting cast all did well, as Rachel McAdams, who is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, was radiant and adorable, and her weird little sex charged sister was quite adorable, too. It was also nice to see two Bond alumni in this, with Christopher Walken (A View To A Kill) and Jane Seymour (Live and Let Die) filling out the cast. I also enjoyed the hysterical grandma, who I hadn't seen since another wedding comedy called The Wedding Singer.

Claire's (McAdams) fiance was a good villian in the movie, because I actually pumped my fist when Vaughn laid him out at the end. Very enjoyable comedy!

A-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were people and laughing people at my showing of The 40 Year Old Virgin. Sorry to kill the illusion for you. I'd like to hear anymore theories, though. :tongue:

Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:49 am
Hot Fuss

Cute.

I liked Crashers much, much more.

This one... not so much. Still funny.

Last edited by Maximus on Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Commander and Chef

in agreeance with bradley on this one. comedies rely on more than just the movie itself. it relies on ones' mood and the setting they prefer. I'm still banging my head against something to figure out which comedy out there i have found funnier than 40 year old virgin. I'm still drawing blanks

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Geesh! I was bored off my butt. :tongue:

You know you're in trouble when both Bradley and bABA disagree with you. :unsure:

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Galia/40YOV.php

Nope, I agree with you. It gets a bad grade from me too. I found it far to cliched.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:55 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

Wow, what a waste of film. As unfunny as it is cliched from start to finish. The typical by-the-books romance is thrown in to a collection of semi-funny but moreso crude skits that really showcase nothing but how to gross one out. The acting was solid but the writing was poor, the filming sloppy and the overall plot just didn't work. It had its moments, but they were few and far between. C

Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:56 pm
Extraordinary

Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:57 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

From a filmmaking standpoint it certainly is lacking, but it's got heart and charm to spare. The fun and goodwill just eminate from the screen. It's wonderful, infectuous fun.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:30 am
Extraordinary

I do think people exaggerated the funny/laugh part of the movie. There wasn't a moment in the movie that I laughed out hysterically, but I did have a constant smile on my face. I agree with yoshua about its heart and charm. It's sweet and definitely a comedy for adults.

Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:43 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I do think people exaggerated the funny/laugh part of the movie. There wasn't a moment in the movie that I laughed out hysterically, but I did have a constant smile on my face. I agree with yoshua about its heart and charm. It's sweet and definitely a comedy for adults.

Yeppers.

I don't think I ever laughed out loud (heartily, at least), but I was constantly humored. Unlike Wedding Crashers.

I also retract what I said before about Steve Carell not doing good work; he's really good here. Instead of his character being this high-concept loser (which is what I got from the trailer), he's actually pretty sympathetic.

B

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:18 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I do think people exaggerated the funny/laugh part of the movie.

Alright, that's enough about other viewers exaggerating their enjoyment of this movie. I am telling you honestly that I did not exaggerate when I said that I found it to be the funniest movie of the year. You can write all you want about your own opinion and how funny (or unfunny) you found it, but why in the world would you question other people's enjoyment of this film? Humor is surely the most subjective of opinions. Frankly, I am saddened when I hear that others didn't enjoy 40 Year Old Virgin as much as I did, but I know that everyone has a different sense of humor and that they will find some other movie to be their own "funniest movie of the year" - all power to them! This world needs all the laughs it can get - don't participate in laughter-denial...

:lol:

Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:25 am
Hot Fuss

I mentioned above that it was cute... but I never once laughed hysterically. I chucked maybe a dozen times, which I consider enough to be considered cute... it was a bit too long and sometimes offensive (too vulgar), but a decent way to spend two hours...

Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

It definately wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny as expected. THis seems to be more American humor. C-

Last edited by Riggs on Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I didn’t find it hilariously funny, the final scene was pretty hilarious, though
Steve Carrell is fantastic in this movie!

B+

Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:05 am
Extraordinary

I mentioned above that it was cute... but I never once laughed hysterically. I chucked maybe a dozen times, which I consider enough to be considered cute... it was a bit too long and sometimes offensive (too vulgar), but a decent way to spend two hours...

Is that like upchucked?

:blink:

Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:07 am
I'm Batman

Look for the DVD review on the main site in a couple of days. For now it's another solid A.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Maximus wrote:

Is that like upchucked?

:blink:

I think maybe it's chuckled?

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Very, very disappointing after all of the raves. This was not the smart comedy I was expecting. I never did get any big laughs. Oh, and the "buddies" (besides Paul Rudd who was very good) were enormously annoying. The movie went on too long, and for example, the body wax scene went on WAY too long. Talk about trying to overdo a good scene.

The plus is that Steve Carell is REALLY good, and I enjoyed all of the scenes with Catherine Keener. The thing is, this movie sort of failed with the comedy. I felt myself enjoying the the cute, touching scenes moreso than the forced, sometimes cliched, vulgar scenes. The ONE scene that I truly liked was the scene in the electronic store with Paul Rudd's character talking to the camera, etc. I found it very funny because Rudd is top notch.

B-/B. Probably going to settle down with a B- for being so disappointing.

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:33 pm
New Server, Same X

I finally saw it again, after getting it for Christmas, and I liked it even more. Holds up well.

Grade: A-

Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:31 pm
I just lost the game

I watched the unrated version tonight with some friends. It was funny, some parts hysterical, but ultimately forgetable. Steve Carell is great. I do agree on the "heart and charm" factor. It kept me watching more than the laughter did.

Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:50 am
La Bella Vito

I must say I did enjoy this movie. It did have some really hysterical parts, but it wasn't as consistently funny as I was expecting it to be. Steve Carrell really does shine in this film, and all the guys that play his friends are great, especially Paul Rudd who I was very impressed by. The singing sequence at the end was really hilarious, and I didn't see that coming. It was so sudden, but it was a nice touch. I would give it a B, because it did keep me entertained, and it was a fun and cute movie.

Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:09 am
Profile YIM WWW
Devil's Advocate

Saw it for the 2nd time last night, and now I know my feelings about it are confirmed. I didn't find the movie that funny, at all. It had some moments, but nothing laugh out loud and certainly nothing to the level of Wedding Crashers. It was heartwarming I suppose though, and it was made-well with solid talent throughout. But yeah, I consider it maybe a bit better and on the same comedy level as The Ringer. It was a good film, and it made you smile at parts, but gut-busting funny or anything providing huge laughs at all? Nah. Not quite.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:33 am
You must have big rats

I am actually surprised that so many here found that movie not to be funny. I found myself laughing outloud quite a couple of times throughout the film. It is not up to the level of Wedding Crashers or even Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but it is still a highly enjoyable comedy with a truly good lead. I was surprised by Carrell actually. I never thought too much of him as a comedian, but he proved me wrong here. He plays the roles of Andy with the right amount of naivety and charme. The suppoorting cast is pretty good too, especially the three guys who play Andy's friends. Catherine Keener has a nice appearance as well, but she has been better before.

The movie has plenty of gags and admittedly not of them work. But considering the huge amount of them, it is still surprising how many of them are actually funny. What was really weird is the film's ending when all start singing and dancing. It certainly was for humorous purposes as well, but didn't sit too well with me. It just came across as...weird.

To put it in a nutshell, The 40-Year-Old Virgin is not a milestone of the genre, but a very nice addition. Steve Carrell carries the movie on his shoulders and pulls it off very well. The screenplay is well-written, but not all of the gags work, especially not in the second half of the movie.

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Ok... so, I think I just finished watching the uncut version, but I don't remember seeing one single new scene... :| Can someone fill me in?

I really like the movie, though.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next