Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Silence of the Lambs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 81%  81%  [ 22 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 27

The Silence of the Lambs 
College Boy Z

Post The Silence of the Lambs
The Silence of the Lambs

Quote:
The Silence of the Lambs is a 1991 American thriller film that blends elements of the crime and horror genres. It was directed by Jonathan Demme and stars Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Scott Glenn, and Ted Levine. It is based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Harris, his second to feature Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant psychiatrist and cannibalistic serial killer.

In the film, Clarice Starling, a young FBI trainee played by Foster, seeks the advice of the imprisoned serial killer and cannibal Hannibal Lecter, played by Hopkins, to help apprehend another serial killer, known only as "Buffalo Bill".

When The Silence of the Lambs was released on February 14, 1991, it received much critical acclaim. The film won the top five Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Fantastic. A

Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:25 am
The Original

Se7en is one of my most favourite movies but Silence of the Lambs is perhaps even better and it was before. For sure one of the best serial killer movies ever.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:13 am
Devil's Advocate

I gave Silence a B vote. Sorry but I think its over-rated a bit, still a decent film but over-rated. Not really as compelling as its made out to be sweeping the 5 big oscar awards. I don't like Lector that much he just isn't to me as dead on as he should be, hes not even that bad he helps Jodie Foster's character. Yet hes called the greatest villian ever? Please. Buffalo Bill was more of the central villian in the movie. I think its somewhat enjoyable, but not one of the greatest films ever as its made out to be. Se7en is the much better movie.

Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:31 am
Christian's #1 Fan

Without a doubt one of the best serial killer movies ever. Anthony Hopkins is simply superb as Hannibal Lecter and Jodie Foster provides an standout performance. One of the best films of the 90's and deserving of all of the acclaim. The ending is simply perfect.

A

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:08 am
You must have big rats

Surprising of me to give this movie such a grade, isn't it? In fact, I think that if it wasn't for Hopkins' brilliant portrayal of Hannibal Lecter making it pretty much one of the greatest on-screen villians ever and his great chemistry with Jodie Foster, this movie would have been a very generic, run-of-the-mill, average serial killer thriller à la Taking Lives. I didn't quite buy into all the psychological talks between Starling and Lecter, but Hopkins' magnificent presence, menace and charisma are undeniable. The ending was quite thrilling, but not so the rest of the movie. To me personally, it is only a joy to watch for the scenes with Hopkins and the showdown in the basement. I prefer Hannibal by far. Se7en is also the far superior serial killer flick.

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:07 am
Profile WWW

A terrrific film, Hopkins best by far (though he was still magnificent in Elephant Man). It is both well constructed and powerful

A

Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:39 pm
htm

It's one of the most compelling dramas of all time and quite thrilling. Starling is one of my favorite characters of all time, played wonderfully by Foster. Of course, Hopkins is also superb. Without a doubt, one of the best films of all time.

A

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:27 am
Cream of the Crop

One of my personal favorites. The acting, the direction, the rythm, the dialogues (!!!)... the most quotable movie of the 90's? I think it is. Just perfect.

deserved the 5 Oscars it got, and I'd give it another one or two: Editing (it's between this and T2) and the wonderful and haunting score by Howard Shore - I can't believe it wasn't even nominated that year, I just checked! And I always thought Ted Levine was robbed of a nomination too... eheh. In other words, don't even question the 5 wins around me :tongue: It's one of those movies that not only stand the test of time perfectly, but it was the boldest decision the Academy has made since I don't know when...

A

P.S. - Hannibal is criminally underrated, Lecter ;) A completely different beast.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The final discussion between Clarice and Dr. Lecter is my favorite scene in any film. Ever.

Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:23 pm
loyalfromlondon

A film that actually deserves all the acclaim and praise bestowed upon it. Everything, from the story right down through to the music, is outstanding, making for a chilling and memorable drama. Hopkins steals the show, of course, and his Oscar is well-deserved despite it being the shortest performance for a winning lead actor; Foster provides a nice contrast to him, and is also deserving of the acclaim. The scenes between Lecter and Clarice are so exceptionally done that it's nearly a shame when the focus shifts from him to Buffalo Bill, but an underrated performance by Ted Levine makes the climax just a thrilling. The scene where Lecter escapes is one of my all-time favourite cinematic moments, not just because of the gore, but because of the pure horror that is developed without any supernatural elements.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:01 pm
The French Dutch Boy

The atmosphere of this film is absolutely superb. Everything in the film works to it, and this unification of all of the parts of the film, from the acting, directing to the story and the music, create it. A great, great film.

A

Peace,
Mike.

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:10 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Cracking piece of creepy cinema althou it does suffer a bit via association from the declining quality shown in the sequels. All those Lecter, Clarice exchanges are delivered to perfection and the ending has a satisfyingly teasing tone to it.

That said any time I hear somebody say Silence of the Lambs these days i anticipate one of my friends charging into the room with his balls trapped within his legs. Oh the vagaries of life are strange.

A

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:31 pm
Golfaholic

Pretty much overrated. Well acted, but then tension was not very high... B-

Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:27 am
We had our time together

Loved it. Not as much as Hannibal but still a really great movie. A

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:21 am
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

wait u like hannibal better than this?

Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:02 pm
life begins now

A fantasic film in all regards. Hopkins creates one of the best villians of all time in an outstanding performance, and Jodie Foster is brilliant as well.

A

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:51 pm
Profile YIM
Vagina Qwertyuiop

Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:08 pm
We had our time together

Riggs27 wrote:

wait u like hannibal better than this?

Yes, Sir. Hannibal is just brilliant, but I liked Foster better as Starling.

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:21 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: Silence of the Lambs
Absolutely stunning and masterful. Arguably the best film of its type ever made. A

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:45 pm
College Boy Z

Weird, I just watched this again last night.

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:40 pm
---------

Just caught this for the first time. AMAZING movie. Great tension, twists, acting, and story. Not a weak moment in the whole movie.

A

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:14 am
Orphan

One of the best thrillers ever made. Simply masterful; holds up incredibly well in repeat viewings as I've now seen it probably 20 times.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:26 am
Devil's Advocate

Post Re:
Shack wrote:
I gave Silence a B vote. Sorry but I think its over-rated a bit, still a decent film but over-rated. Not really as compelling as its made out to be sweeping the 5 big oscar awards. I don't like Lector that much he just isn't to me as dead on as he should be, hes not even that bad he helps Jodie Foster's character. Yet hes called the greatest villian ever? Please. Buffalo Bill was more of the central villian in the movie. I think its somewhat enjoyable, but not one of the greatest films ever as its made out to be. Se7en is the much better movie.

EEEEEEEK. :pinch: Young Shack does occasionally slip up. How could I not like Lecter. His ambigiousness is part of what makes him so great, he's no one noted bad guy... unfortunately Buffalo Bill is, though.

Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:41 pm
Extraordinary

buffalo bill and his vagina make for a pretty okay movie.

Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:31 am
He didn't look busy?!

I prefer the Clerks 2 rendition of "Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard," but I guess Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster are kinda amazing.

A

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next