Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Gone in 60 Seconds (2000) 
College Boy Z

Post Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)
Gone in 60 Seconds

Quote:
Gone in 60 Seconds is a 2000 American action film, starring Nicolas Cage, Angelina Jolie, Giovanni Ribisi, Christopher Eccleston, Robert Duvall, Vinnie Jones and Will Patton. The film was directed by Dominic Sena, and written by Scott Rosenberg. It was produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, and is a remake of the 1974 H.B. Halicki film of the same name.

The film was shot in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada and throughout Los Angeles and Long Beach, California.

Love this movie. A

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:09 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

9.3/10

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:18 pm
The Original

I like it. Nice acting and shows that you can do an action moving without to start the bodycounter.

Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:51 pm
You must have big rats

This movie made me sad because I am a huge fan of Nicholas Cage in action flicks as well as Jerry Bruckheimer movies. I love The Rock, Con Air Face Off and even Windtalkers, but this one was just poorly executed. Cage is still good, but Jolie is wasted and the bad guy is really dull. The car chases are decent, but not exciting enough. The cars are nice to look at, but that doesn't make a great movie. The movie lacked action to be an action flick. An action flick can't just live from car chases. The finale was lame as well. There was some neat humor inbetween, but certainly not enough. Overall the movie was a UGE disappointment to me and one of 2000's worst movies.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Horribly written and rather boring, which is an interesting feat considering how much "action" the movie has. C-

Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:59 pm
You must have big rats

Horribly written and rather boring, which is an interesting feat considering how much "action" the movie has. C-

Nono, I think exactly that was the problem. It didn't have enough "real action". Pointless car chases do not equal action, hehe.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Libs wrote:

Nono, I think exactly that was the problem. It didn't have enough "real action". Pointless car chases do not equal action, hehe.

That's why I put action in quotes.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:51 pm
Hot Fuss

Too much "action", not enough substance. I hardly enjoy it.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

Like some said, it just hasn't enough good action. It's definately more boring than exciting. C

Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

This is one of the best films of 2000, I loved it. This is Nicholas Cage's best film IMO

A

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:00 am
Teh Mexican

It isnt all that great but i really enjoyde it. and i love cars, so... :happy:

B+

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:03 am
Mod Team Leader

Here we are almost into August and a good slate of the summer sweeps is over. And just like last year we have had a few really good films ( Gladiator, Perfect Storm, The Patriot) one huge box office bohemoth that took the summer sweeps by storm( Scary Movie) and then we have the rest. The rest are those films come out and people see because it is summer time and they have nothing better to do. These films aren't bad movies, they just aren't that great and they will surely be forgotten in a short while. Films like Me Myself and Irene, Shaft and now Gone In Sixty Seconds fall into that mold.

Gone... is passable entertainment but it does not astound you or do anything different than any other film does. In fact, I can not understand how this film got the incredible cast that it did with the script being as paper thin as it is. Look past Nicolas Cage and Duval and you still have some of the best up and comers in the business. With Ribisi, Scott Caan and one of my favourite actors on the scene today, Delroy Lindo, this film is blessed with a cast that can take any mundane scene and add a bit of TNT to it. Take for example the scene where Duval says to Lindo, " You break it you buy it my friend!" This was probably a line written in the script in a normal fashion and Duval took it and added that coyote like laugh to it. He brought his character to life and added some much needed personality to what was probably a stagnant looking script. And when you are blessed with actors that can do this, your film is that much better because of it. I am not saying that Gone... is a bad movie but it certainly isn't anything great. But it is some of the performances that keep what modicum of interest in the film that I had. Without a different cast, this may have been quite a bad film.

But what it comes down to in a film like this, is action. You have fast cars, Cage, Jolie and Bruckheimer. This alone makes the film worth looking at because this is a formula for action, explosions, chases and mayhem. But I don't really think the film delivered on that promise of eye popping action and amazing car chases. There were a few good ones but when the press kit tries to tell you that this will compete with Bullitt as the best car chase around, then you better have some merit to those claims. And while the car chases in here are good, they certainly didn't wow me and show me something that I have not seen before. Raiders of the Lost Ark did it better and so did the Dukes of Hazard. And even though there is no denying that this film is doing quite well at the box office, I don't think that makes it a great film. It is good and it has it's moments. But don't expect to be entertained the same way that you have been before in a Bruckheimer film. His great ones have been incredible. This is one of his average efforts.

6 out of 10.... There are worse films out there this summer but there certainly are better ones.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:49 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Its certainly style over substance, but what style.

Solid B. Very enteraining flick. Good cast. Great cars, and soundtrack

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:33 am
Teenage Dream

An okay heist film. I have seen much better from Nicolas Cage and Angelina Jolie. B-

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)
It's basically Michael Bay-lite, right down to the ensemble cast of character actors. Not nearly as much fun, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:47 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I see this enough now, and I always enjoy watching. The last of great Cage in my opinion. It grows more and is more watchable than say Con Air. The cops are terrible in this, though. I still like this than any FF film.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 am
now we know

I have not seen this for 14 years. I loved it when I saw it back in 2000. I really need to download it and see if it holds up. It's definitely a contender for the highest-grossing forgotten film in recent memory.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:39 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

This came out in the prime of my "loving cars" days.

It's still thoroughly enjoyable.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:16 am
Keeping it Light

Saw this in the cinema back in the day and remember liking but not loving it. Upon seeing it again that pretty much still stands. It's a nicely paced car action film, decent score, Cage still with star power and just a likable cast overall. But it lacks some real excitement and it basically tumbles to a predictable ending. Ultimately it's more entertaining than not though, solid popcorn film, not more and not less.

B

Tue May 05, 2020 4:20 am
Forum General

I never minded this flick either. It's just a fun, stylish popcorn movie with a likable cast and some entertaining car chase action scenes. I enjoy it about as much as Dominic Sena's other film Swordfish.

B

Tue May 05, 2020 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]