Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Titanic 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 54 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 77

Titanic 
College Boy Z

Post Titanic
Titanic

Quote:
Titanic is a 1997 American epic romantic disaster film directed, written, co-produced, and co-edited by James Cameron. A fictionalized account of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, it stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack Dawson, Kate Winslet as Rose DeWitt Bukater, Gloria Stuart as Old Rose, and Billy Zane as Rose's fiancé, Cal Hockley. Jack and Rose are members of different social classes who fall in love aboard the ship during its ill-fated maiden voyage.

Cameron's inspiration for the film was predicated on his fascination with shipwrecks; he wanted to convey the emotional message of the tragedy, and felt that a love story interspersed with the human loss would be essential to achieving this. Production on the film began in 1995, when Cameron shot footage of the actual Titanic wreck. The modern scenes were shot on board the Akademik Mstislav Keldysh, which Cameron had used as a base when filming the wreck. A reconstruction of the Titanic was built at Playas de Rosarito, Baja California, and scale models and computer-generated imagery were also used to recreate the sinking. The film was partially funded by Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox, and, at the time, was the most expensive film ever made, with an estimated budget of $200 million.

Upon its release on December 19, 1997, the film achieved critical and commercial success. It equaled records with fourteen Academy Award nominations and eleven wins, receiving the prizes for Best Picture and Best Director. With a worldwide gross of over $1.8 billion, it was the first film to reach the billion dollar mark, remaining the highest-grossing film of all time for twelve years, until Cameron's next directorial effort, Avatar, surpassed its gross (but not ticket sales) in 2010. Titanic is also ranked as the sixth best epic film of all time in AFI's 10 Top 10 by the American Film Institute. The film was re-released theatrically in 3-D on April 4, 2012 to commemorate the centenary of the Titanic setting sail on April 10, 1912.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:43 am
Hot Fuss

From the amazing score to the outstanding set design, Titanic is the perfect film of all time in my opinion. With drama, romance, action, comedy, and wonders to behold, I doubt any film will be able to meet its box office success for some time. Sorry, guys, but Titanic might be cliched and overrated by many, but I cant help but give it an A+

Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Titanic is also one of my favorite films of all time. While I didn't like it when I was younger, I rewatched it and fell in love. The cast is great, the visuals are phenomonal, leanth didn't bother me at all and the film took a little emotion out of me, and rarely does that happen.

- A

Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:54 pm
Teh Mexican

what can i say about Titanic, i honestly i dont see nothing special about this movies, i dont know why the hell it make so much money.
its a very nice done movie, very emotional movie, good cast.

my favorite part is when the boat is sinking! :D i think thats the best part!!

B

Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:32 pm
Forum General

Titanic is an amazing epic romance film. It's one of those rare films you don't see very often, everything is great about it.

10/10 (A+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:16 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Hot Fuss

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:00 pm
Profile YIM WWW
life begins now

It was okay. The performances weren't anything super great, but the visuals were awesome. Maybe a little too long. B+

Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:06 pm
Profile YIM
We had our time together

A Masterpiece. It's in my Top 3 movies of all time. A+

Last edited by Riggs on Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

A great film. A bit overdone and melodramatic, and the current-day storyline could have been easily removed without hurting the overall film (and saving about 20 minutes of length). B+

Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:38 pm
Indiana Jones IV

One of the best movies ever.

Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A film whose greatness is all the more surprising considering the sometimes preposterous script. On a technical level, this is an important milestone in Hollywood history, successfully combining craftsmanship and new technology with old-time storytelling in a way rarely achieved before (or since). As a reflection of its age, it is as apt a symbol as the ship was in 1912. And, in providing an example of the eternal and enduring power of simple storytelling and of the beauty of a simple love story well told, this becomes a film made in a certain, prosperous age, but one made for the ages.

A

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:15 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Not worth the hype. Made a lot of money, i, for one dont know why!!! Useless ending. The film could have done without the silly love story.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

Easily the best film of 97 and a classic that will stand the test of time, 12 August 1999

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

Warning: may be some small spoilers.

I have always been a James Cameron fan. He is really one of the only directors I can say that has never made a bad film. Even his Piranha 2 was humourous and a fine effort coming from such a young director with a small budget. He has made, from what I can recall, two masterpieces (Aliens and Terminator 2) a genre pioneer (Terminator) and one of the best action movies to come out in the 90's ( True Lies ) and an ambitious touching film ( The Abyss ). But now he has outdone himself with Titanic. I don't think there has ever been a film that has taken me through such a wide array of emotions as this one. And that is all attributed to Cameron. He wrote, produced and directed this film. And it is one of the best films ever made.

We all know the story of Titanic. A great ship sets sail for the U.S. from the U.K. and along the way it sinks and many people lost their lives in the Atlantic somewhere near Newfoundland. So there is no need to retell those events documentary style. A Night To Remember is there for that purpose. So what Cameron's Titanic does is tells the tale of fictious characters blended in with real ones amidst the real events of the sinking. And it not only makes the film entertaining, it shows the sheer horror of what happened that night and makes you more sympathetic to the characters because you spend three hours with them. This is a brilliant, brilliant film.

To start with, the actors are perfect. Not just DiCaprio and Winslet, but everyone from Zane and Bates right down to Paxton as the present day treasure hunter. But it is Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio that are the true stars here as it the two of them that have to carry the load and make us care about them. And we do. We can feel them falling in love. We can feel the helpless emotions that Jack feels when he is trying to tell Rose that he loves her the day of the sinking. It is their relationship that is a great strength of the film.

Next, what has to be mentioned is the score by James Horner. Very few times has a motion picture had a score that symbolized the sheer hopelessness and tragedy that is on screen. But here Horner has a perfect and somber piece of music that will bring tears to your eyes, especially when lives and love are lost.

Also, the whole scope of the film is one of tragedy. It is a tragic love story, a tragic story of refugees trying to make a better life for themselves and have it all end abruptly with a giant piece of ice. It is a sad look at beaurocracy and wealth and how it can manipulate and control many things but how in the end money really does mean very little when it comes to buying your life.

But most importantly, this is a love story and an inspirational tearjerker. Rose and Jack fall fast and hard and it doesn't matter that they are from different worlds. Love sees no boundaries. If it is there, nothing can stop it. Not even death.

Titanic is perfect in every sense. And as a guy, it is my duty not to cry in movies. I know how ridiculously old fashioned that sounds but it is true. We just aren't supposed to, that is our girlfriend's job. But I bawled my eyes out in this film. Especially when there is that one over head shot of all the people in the water frolicking helplessly and no one will go back for them. I cried when they showed the old couple sitting on the bed together as the water comes rushing in. And I cried when Rose "let's go" of Jack. And when you hear that haunting music, that soft whisper of " Ooooowooo, Owooowoo" you can't help but to feel like bawling. Titanic manipulates our emotions like very few movies have ever done. This is brilliance personified.

And one final note: For those of you that don't like it and call it the worst movie ever made, is that just the cool thing to do? To take all that is popular and make yourself feel non comformist just because you don't like something that everyone else did? That is not intelligence, to me that is stupidity. Films are made to enjoy, I know not all of them accomplish that task, but ones like Star Wars and Titanic should be films that everyone enjoys. There is nothing wrong with this film and maybe you should re-examine what is good to you and what is trash. As for the comment made earlier about those of us that enjoyed it being teens and have never seen a film before 1990, well I am 27, my brother is 24, my mom is 50 something and my grandmother is in her 80's. And we all loved it. So keep that in mind. And a film does not gross 2 BILLION dollars by having only teens see it.

This is as good as a film gets!

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

The best movie of 1997 for sure. A fantastic epic filled with enough stuff for everyone to enjoy this fantastic film. Grade: A+

Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:19 pm
Mod Team Leader

Glad to see not everyone hates the highest grossing film ever. \:D/

Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:25 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

C+

Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:26 pm
Award Winning Bastard

An awesome movie in every regard. Cameron is brilliant!

A

Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:48 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I love this movie! Definitely deserved the $1.8 billion it got! The Gone With the Wind for the 21st century!

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:19 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Easily the best film of 97 and a classic that will stand the test of time, 12 August 1999

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

Warning: may be some small spoilers.

I have always been a James Cameron fan. He is really one of the only directors I can say that has never made a bad film. Even his Piranha 2 was humourous and a fine effort coming from such a young director with a small budget. He has made, from what I can recall, two masterpieces (Aliens and Terminator 2) a genre pioneer (Terminator) and one of the best action movies to come out in the 90's ( True Lies ) and an ambitious touching film ( The Abyss ). But now he has outdone himself with Titanic. I don't think there has ever been a film that has taken me through such a wide array of emotions as this one. And that is all attributed to Cameron. He wrote, produced and directed this film. And it is one of the best films ever made.

We all know the story of Titanic. A great ship sets sail for the U.S. from the U.K. and along the way it sinks and many people lost their lives in the Atlantic somewhere near Newfoundland. So there is no need to retell those events documentary style. A Night To Remember is there for that purpose. So what Cameron's Titanic does is tells the tale of fictious characters blended in with real ones amidst the real events of the sinking. And it not only makes the film entertaining, it shows the sheer horror of what happened that night and makes you more sympathetic to the characters because you spend three hours with them. This is a brilliant, brilliant film.

To start with, the actors are perfect. Not just DiCaprio and Winslet, but everyone from Zane and Bates right down to Paxton as the present day treasure hunter. But it is Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio that are the true stars here as it the two of them that have to carry the load and make us care about them. And we do. We can feel them falling in love. We can feel the helpless emotions that Jack feels when he is trying to tell Rose that he loves her the day of the sinking. It is their relationship that is a great strength of the film.

Next, what has to be mentioned is the score by James Horner. Very few times has a motion picture had a score that symbolized the sheer hopelessness and tragedy that is on screen. But here Horner has a perfect and somber piece of music that will bring tears to your eyes, especially when lives and love are lost.

Also, the whole scope of the film is one of tragedy. It is a tragic love story, a tragic story of refugees trying to make a better life for themselves and have it all end abruptly with a giant piece of ice. It is a sad look at beaurocracy and wealth and how it can manipulate and control many things but how in the end money really does mean very little when it comes to buying your life.

But most importantly, this is a love story and an inspirational tearjerker. Rose and Jack fall fast and hard and it doesn't matter that they are from different worlds. Love sees no boundaries. If it is there, nothing can stop it. Not even death.

Titanic is perfect in every sense. And as a guy, it is my duty not to cry in movies. I know how ridiculously old fashioned that sounds but it is true. We just aren't supposed to, that is our girlfriend's job. But I bawled my eyes out in this film. Especially when there is that one over head shot of all the people in the water frolicking helplessly and no one will go back for them. I cried when they showed the old couple sitting on the bed together as the water comes rushing in. And I cried when Rose "let's go" of Jack. And when you hear that haunting music, that soft whisper of " Ooooowooo, Owooowoo" you can't help but to feel like bawling. Titanic manipulates our emotions like very few movies have ever done. This is brilliance personified.

And one final note: For those of you that don't like it and call it the worst movie ever made, is that just the cool thing to do? To take all that is popular and make yourself feel non comformist just because you don't like something that everyone else did? That is not intelligence, to me that is stupidity. Films are made to enjoy, I know not all of them accomplish that task, but ones like Star Wars and Titanic should be films that everyone enjoys. There is nothing wrong with this film and maybe you should re-examine what is good to you and what is trash. As for the comment made earlier about those of us that enjoyed it being teens and have never seen a film before 1990, well I am 27, my brother is 24, my mom is 50 something and my grandmother is in her 80's. And we all loved it. So keep that in mind. And a film does not gross 2 BILLION dollars by having only teens see it.

This is as good as a film gets!

I wanted to say something, but it's all here. Nice review.

I do unterstand the backlash - no film can be as crazily succesful as this one and not suffer for it. Time will put it in its place, and I for one I hope that is pretty high.

What Mixed Drink Are You?

http://www.blogthings.com/whatmixeddrinkareyouquiz/

Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

while not bad, it is highly overrated

C+

Yep, I voted C range also, and would give it a C+. It was lavish, but the storytelling was pretty weak. The characters are too easy, the Zane character was so grating I couldn't get into him. He was an easy thing to poke at so that the audiance wouldn't feel bad that technically, Rose was cheating on her fiance. Its all ok when the fiance is a genuine ass who used kids to save himself, and thinks Picasso is a joke.

I think it was ok, I can't say I was offended by it, which is what I reserve D's for, but I just couldn't get that into it either.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:03 pm
Teenage Dream

Terminator1997 wrote:

C+

Yep, I voted C range also, and would give it a C+. It was lavish, but the storytelling was pretty weak. The characters are too easy, the Zane character was so grating I couldn't get into him. He was an easy thing to poke at so that the audiance wouldn't feel bad that technically, Rose was cheating on her fiance. Its all ok when the fiance is a genuine ass who used kids to save himself, and thinks Picasso is a joke.

I think it was ok, I can't say I was offended by it, which is what I reserve D's for, but I just couldn't get that into it either.

I completely agree. The people triumphing this film as "perfect" are sorely misguided. The technical aspects are all fine and dandy, but the script is really, really bad. The love story is a total joke, and there are some truly cringe worthy lines sprinkled throughout the film. The biggest problem with the film, and you touched on this too Galia, is Zane's character. Cameron is trying to make Rose's infidelity a-okay by making Zane an over the top asshole. It's ridiculous. I'd give it a C+ because the technical aspects are too good to ignore, but c'mon folks - this aint' even Cameron's best by a mile.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:48 pm
Sbil

dolcevita wrote:
Terminator1997 wrote:

C+

I completely agree. The people triumphing this film as "perfect" are sorely misguided. The technical aspects are all fine and dandy, but the script is really, really bad. The love story is a total joke, and there are some truly cringe worthy lines sprinkled throughout the film. The biggest problem with the film, and you touched on this too Galia, is Zane's character. Cameron is trying to make Rose's infidelity a-okay by making Zane an over the top asshole. It's ridiculous. I'd give it a C+ because the technical aspects are too good to ignore, but c'mon folks - this aint' even Cameron's best by a mile.

I actually agree as I thought Aliens was pretty much perfect. On the other hand, I didn't feel the love story was a joke. The script was a little bit corny, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Also, infidelity? It was going to be an arranged marriage, it's not like Rose had any say in the matter.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:59 pm
Commander and Chef

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

I just wanted to interject here. A few of you seem to be judging Zane's character by modern standards, and you have to remember, this was long before women were treated as equals. They were not treated much better than slaves were treated decades before. They were second class citizens who were to be seen but not heard. His behavior was not unlike the chauvinistic mindsets that existed. It was just another form of prejudice that was very real, and where he may seem over the top by today's standards, he wasn't by the standards of 1912, especially for high society establishment like Zane represented.

I also think the love story was great here. I went into this movie detesting Leo and how the media was trying to shove him down our throats, and came out of the movie respecting him. They pulled it off flawlessly, and anybody with a hint of romance in them should have been touched by their short relationship.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:21 pm
Veteran

Extremely overrated and impossibly lame. The best thing about this was Dicaprio's performance.

C-

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next