Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Titanic 

What grade would you give this film?
A 70%  70%  [ 54 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 77

Titanic 
You must have big rats

Jiffy208 wrote:
I adore this film.

The thing that has bugged me about the ending though, since it was pointed out to me, is that when she dies she doesn't see like the husband and father of her children that she spent like 80 some odd years with when she dies, she sees the guy she had a couple day fling with, heh. Granted that fling is shown to be the changing point in her life, but still, no love for hubby?

Yay! Another Titanic-lover! :happy:

I feel that the one thing that the last scene showed is that she stayed true to her promise to Jack, that she wouldn't let go (of her dreams, etc.). It's not unusual for people to marry someone who is not their true love; marriage and love aren't always compatible, and marriages begun in love often end up in divorce, when the couple realizes that they no longer love each other, or that the love was never really there.

If you read all of Rose's subsequent life as a fulfillment of her promise to Jack, then it makes sense that, at the end, she would return to him, in a way as a gesture, to say "I didn't let go". I know I'm stretching this, but I saw Jack's outstretched hand as the parallel and contrast to Rose having to let go of his hands on the raft. Whereas her letting go marked the separation between them, her acceptance of his hand marks the (re)union. And indeed, the last scene as a whole is reminiscent of marriage, the marriage they never had. At last, they're together.

Also:

That was the scenes that audiences definitely wanted to see and to have that as the final scene of the movie is an immense emotional punch. If someone is not touched by this movie at all, I think this person truly is somewhat emotionless.

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's also necessary on a technical and structural level to ignore the husband and family: the one thing that keeps the whole film together is Rose and Jack's love. It would be insane to stress that she got married, had children, etc. beyond the most necessary parts. Heck, I don't even think we're aware of the fact that she is on the ship as an old woman with her daughter (or granddaughter?) for very long.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:39 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

I am not a big fan of Titanic. To begin with I am not even a big fan of love stories. One thing about Titanic I really loved was Leo's charming and vibrant performance. The fact he did not even get nominated for an oscar that year with all the Titanic wave bugs the hell out of me. :disgust:

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 am
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Box wrote:
Jiffy208 wrote:
I adore this film.

The thing that has bugged me about the ending though, since it was pointed out to me, is that when she dies she doesn't see like the husband and father of her children that she spent like 80 some odd years with when she dies, she sees the guy she had a couple day fling with, heh. Granted that fling is shown to be the changing point in her life, but still, no love for hubby?

I feel that the one thing that the last scene showed is that she stayed true to her promise to Jack, that she wouldn't let go (of her dreams, etc.). It's not unusual for people to marry someone who is not their true love; marriage and love aren't always compatible, and marriages begun in love often end up in divorce, when the couple realizes that they no longer love each other, or that the love was never really there.

If you read all of Rose's subsequent life as a fulfillment of her promise to Jack, then it makes sense that, at the end, she would return to him, in a way as a gesture, to say "I didn't let go". I know I'm stretching this, but I saw Jack's outstretched hand as the parallel and contrast to Rose having to let go of his hands on the raft. Whereas her letting go marked the separation between them, her acceptance of his hand marks the (re)union. And indeed, the last scene as a whole is reminiscent of marriage, the marriage they never had. At last, they're together.

Also:

That was the scenes that audiences definitely wanted to see and to have that as the final scene of the movie is an immense emotional punch. If someone is not touched by this movie at all, I think this person truly is somewhat emotionless.

Not only all this, but I would find it the weirdest ending ever if they had ended it with her dreaming about her husband. It would be totally random. Her husband means nothing to us; we've spent our emotions towards Jack and Rose and Jack sacrificing his life so that Rose is able to live a wonderful life. I think I would have hated the ending if they suddenly brought her husband in, whether in a dream or not. I don't give a shit about her husband.

Anyhoo, I think I already posted my review in here, but I LOVE this film. It receives as an A+ from me and is considered my #1 film of all time.

PEACE, Mike.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:02 am
life begins now

Chris wrote:
Libs wrote:
I was watching most of this again on HBO just now.

The end, where Old Rose dies/dreams of her and Jack "reuniting" on the Titanic while everyone claps always gets me.

Wait...she dies? Granted, I haven't seen the film in a few years, but I don't remember that. :unsure:

That's an interpretation (which I agree with).

I guess I'll have to get the special edition and watch it over Christmas. It makes sense now that I think about it, but I never have before. The last time I watched it was at least 4 years ago, so it's time for me to watch it again anyway.

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:43 pm
Profile YIM
life begins now

I am not a big fan of Titanic. To begin with I am not even a big fan of love stories. One thing about Titanic I really loved was Leo's charming and vibrant performance. The fact he did not even get nominated for an oscar that year with all the Titanic wave bugs the hell out of me. :disgust:

That was very weird. Also, the screenplay wasn't that great, but could they have at least given it a bone? 14 is a lot, yes, but why not give it the extra two?

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:46 pm
Profile YIM
Mod Team Leader

Jiffy208 wrote:
I adore this film.

RAISE HAND FRANTICALLY!!!!!! I am a lover of the film as well....oneof my all time faves..

Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:57 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I'm in the "perfect" camp on this one - loved it - it is emotionally note-perfect...

6 out of 5.

Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:18 pm
Star Trek XI

Not overrated in the least. Sure sometimes I'd like to see something else as the "number 1 movie of all time" but it doesn't matter. It's cheesy, but it's a good quality kind of cheesy. Not annoying cheesy. And it's got really great music.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

That's a very good analysis of the meaning and purpose of the scene!

Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:58 am
Teh Mexican

I watched Titanic today for the first time in a LONG time, and i think i underrated it quite a lot. Its beautifully done, it touching and heartbreaking. the performances werent all that good

A-

Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:22 pm
All Star Poster

Last edited by DIB2 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:45 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

Yay, I love Titanic! Seeing it for the first time in theaters when I was 11 is probably my favorite movie memory.

A

Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:27 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Beautiful to look it, and easy to watch over again, but not necessarily a great film. It is pretty good - mostly because the last 90 minutes or so are fantastic cinema - but it's not particularly well-written or well-acted. The dialogue is often cringe-worthy, and the acting is not that impressive, though that could be due to the dialogue more than the actors. The story is simple enough, but carried out pretty well, and the look of the film is outstanding. All the technical aspects are top-notch, making for a thrilling last half. The first half is no slouch either, though, and I felt the film transitioned nicely from love story to disaster epic. All in all, an entertaining but slightly underwhelming epic.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:33 pm
Superfreak

this was incredible. when i saw this in theater i rember ebign like omg ooo awwwww look at dat!

A+ for sure

Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:41 pm
We had our time together

This movie will stay forever in my all time top three. Just perfect. A+

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:40 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Titanic
Incredible. Cameron captures the scope of the disaster and one of the most endearing love stories of all time in this masterpiece. The acting is incredible, the visuals are amazing and better than most of what we get nowadays. The sinking sequences are thrilling and the score is the best of all-time. An unmatched triumph, this is the very best Hollywood can produce. My #2 of all-time.

A++++++

Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:02 pm
Forum General

I give it an A-

It is quite a good film if you look at it from unbias point of view.

It is number 69 on my list between Mulan and Last of the Mohicans...

Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm
Profile WWW

If you know me, I am very hard to please when it comes to romance, although I do believe romance can lead to the best stories. However, this one does not fall into that category, and I can't sit through them at all. It does have great direction, so for that I am slightly forgivable, but the overall tone of the story really isn't my thing.

C+

Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:58 pm
Forum General

whats your take on Casablanca and Gone With The Wind???

Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:32 pm
Profile WWW

Mannyisthebest wrote:
whats your take on Casablanca and Gone With The Wind???

Casablanca is a more relatable romance, and if it weren't so boring at times, I'd be one of the better romance films.

Gone With the Wind....same as Titanic but with an outdated production.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:01 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

My #7 All Time Favorite Movie, and 1 of only 7 films I'd give an A+ to.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

How can people possibly like a movie that romanticizes the slavery in the South? That's one movie I refuse to ever watch again. Gone With the Wind: F----------------------------

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Speevy wrote:
How can people possibly like a movie that romanticizes the slavery in the South? That's one movie I refuse to ever watch again. Gone With the Wind: F----------------------------

If you think GWTW is primarily about slavery, then perhaps I shouldn't even start into the difference between historical reality and romanticizing.

And what of the historic Best Supporting Actress Oscar win for Hattie McDaniel?

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:14 pm
Veteran

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Speevy wrote:

If you think GWTW is primarily about slavery, then perhaps I shouldn't even start into the difference between historical reality and romanticizing.

And what of the historic Best Supporting Actress Oscar win for Hattie McDaniel?

I never said it was primarily about slavery, simply that romanticizes a horrible time period in American history. What's next, a movie that romanticizes the Holocaust?

And yes it was a great accomplishment for McDaniel to win an Oscar, but the role was nonetheless an archetype condoning slavery.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next