Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Signs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

Signs 
Extraordinary

Well, to me, the "twist" (we're talking about "swing away", right?) wasn't so much a twist as it was a gimmick that Shyamalan tried to weave through the film to make thematic connections, etc. Nonetheless, it didn't really work for me.

I loved the film as a whole, though. Scared me, loved the elements of faith, and I think Gison was good enough that he could've scored some awards attention in a weaker year.

A-

Hmm...I was talking about the whole 'water' garbage...but that "swing away" crap was pretty damn treacly.

Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:18 pm
loyalfromlondon

Terrifically shot horror/thriller, with great use of sound effects and fantastic cinematography. Shyamalan once again proves why he is a superb director, as he makes the film very creepy in addition to the jump scares provided by the music. Speaking of which, the Herrmann-esque score by James Newton Howard is absolutely terrific, as it adds a sense of ominous thrill to each scene. The story was involving and scary, the acting was great all around, and the ending was a perfect fit. Though the alien does look a bit too fake, the entire end scene is expertly crafted, with every aspect excelling. An incredibly rewatchable flick, too, as I've seen it going on ten times now. One of my all-time favourites.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:20 pm
life begins now

A great achiement by Shyamalan. It wasn't scary, but it was very creepy. The acting was top-notch as well, especially Abigail Breslin. I'm glad she has went on to do more with her career than most child actors.

A-

Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:49 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Signs
Just watched this yesterday for the first time, in preparation for The Happening. Wow, did I love it. I loved every second of it. I didn't even find the ending all that stupid. It is silly in theory, but it works.

Grade: A+

Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 pm
Hold the door!

I really liked this film, even though I didn't find it scary at all. Mel Gibson is much better here than Bruce Willis was in either The Sixth Sense or Unbreakable; it actually felt like he was a well developed character, though his kids were pretty much the generic kids you find in every movie with kids in it, though they were well portrayed (the boy had the exact same way of speaking as Macaulay Culkin, I know they are related, but it was uncanny.) I also loved the Christian elements; though obviously he was not ready to be a minister; did he not know people die and that anything can happen. The twist at the end did not even really feel like a twist; I figured the mesage at the end would be that he was dumb to doubt his faith; so it was probably going to be something that reaffirmed his faith. It felt so well built up, and not like a drastic turn of events like in his first two films. Overall, its his most entertaining movie, though Unbreakable had a much better and more shocking ending.

A-

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:48 pm
now we know

It's not meant to be scary, just like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are also not meant to be scary. The Village, however, may be attempting an eerie scare or two. Anyway, Signs is fucking great. A

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Algren wrote:
It's not meant to be scary, just like The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable are also not meant to be scary. The Village, however, may be attempting an eerie scare or two. Anyway, Signs is fucking great. A

My mom thinks its scary. She literally freaks out every time she watches it.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:12 pm
now we know

Women aren't a great judge on what is or isn't scary. Neither are gay men.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2