Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Se7en 

What grade would you give this film?
A 89%  89%  [ 31 ]
B 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 35

Se7en 
College Boy Z

Post Se7en
Se7en

Quote:
Seven (stylized in some publications as Se7en) is a 1995 American thriller film, which also contains horror and neo-noir elements, directed by David Fincher and written by Andrew Kevin Walker. It was distributed by New Line Cinema and stars Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Gwyneth Paltrow, R. Lee Ermey and Kevin Spacey.

David Mills (Pitt) and William Somerset (Freeman) are police detectives working in a crime-filled city, who become deeply involved in a case involving a series of sadistic murders. Each murder corresponds to one of the seven deadly sins: gluttony, envy, lust, pride, sloth, greed and wrath.

Filming took place in California and Pennsylvania. The film was released in the United States on September 22, 1995. Grossing $327 million at the box office internationally, Seven was a commercial success, and received very positive reviews from most critics.

Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:39 pm
Cream of the Crop

Critics have said that Saw is very similar to Se7en, and I agree. If you liked Saw, then you'll like this movie, possibly even more so than Saw.

First of all, the acting is a lot better than in Saw. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman both give great performances.

Both Se7en and Saw have similar plots, but they're different enough that you won't feel like you're watching the same movie twice. While Saw focuses on the murders more from the victims' POV, Se7en does that more from the detectives' POV.

The ending, while not as shocking as Saw's ending, is still pretty surprising, although I think they could have extended the ending a little bit. It felt too abrupt. Still, that's only one con out of many more pros.

"How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Gotta a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Gotta, gotta nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for 3 years? Got a, got a compelling protaganist? Yeah? Gotta obstacle for him to overcome? Working on, working on that for quite some time?"

Battle of the 2005 movies - Vote Now!

Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy T

Didn't see Saw, but I don't think it could top Se7en.

I'll rush through this, but at least there will be a comment in the thread.

I loved Se7en. It's actually one of the most disturbing films, because there's nothing uplifting about its view of society - Brad Pitt's character gives in and commits the seventh sin. The film is overly grotesque and gory, especially when considering John Doe's killing of the prostitute. The scene with the male screaming "Get it off me" with a terrified look on his face was revolting, and then the recap to that image was equally horrific. Considering the dark tone of the film, there aren't any moments that one can find humor in, asides from a few one liners in the first half.

The best scene is the car ride, of course. While John Doe's character is ill, understanding his intentions behind the crimes, combined with Spacey's acting ability almost makes us feel sympathy for his character. While I did want to hear more from Spacey's character about the killings and his mission in doing so, I have to compliment Fincher for giving information away cautiously and allowing his audience to ponder on about the film, Spacey's goal, and the seventh sin. I love thrillers where things aren't always straightforward.

Kevin Spacey is always great when playing an awkward character who audiences eventually understand at the end of a film. And, I'm glad he got recognition for this film. Who knows who would have played Lester in American Beauty!

Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:10 pm
College Boy Z

A+

Last edited by zingy on Sat May 24, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:52 pm
The Original

One of my all time Favourites
10/10

Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:00 am
Veteran

thgis movie is well done and well acted. It has a great cast. Spacey was wonderful, Bread Pitt did a great job and was pretty fine looking and I freaking loved Freeman in it.

I love the whole storyu and plot and this movie was what got me hooked on other movies like it also made me a Brad Pitt fan

Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
We had our time together

In my all-time Top Ten. A Movie that deserves all the praise it gets. A+

Last edited by Riggs on Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

If it Brad Pitt's character had made a different choice do you guys think it would be regarded as the classic it is?

I doubt it, it might not even be well-liked in general.

Which shows you how important endings are, I guess.

Anyway, I thought it was superb.

A

Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:11 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Brilliant movie, love it. Another hot for Brad Pitt and Morgan :wink:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

i think everyone said it!....everything about it its great!!!

A+

Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:37 pm
Wall-E

Se7en, in my book, has got to be one of the top thrillers of all time. I feel the movie was made perfectly. Its has a constant building from beginning to end. Lighting, visuals, sound, acting, plot. I watched this film again right after going to see Saw,,,Se7en blows it away. Saw tried to be 'Se7en'. It had the same look and feel but never reached the same level. It was another want to be. I'm surprise on how many of you think the ending of Saw was more shocking. It was flawed. Come on, you're in that bathroom for hours waiting to die and trying to escape. You going to tell me you never take notice of the "dead man" on the floor for more then a second. I would have grabbed his leg and pulled him toward me just to check his pockets. But I guess that would have ruined the film. I don't know, I just cant find fault with Se7en. The shocking conclusion with the box just blew me away. It was brilliant, what a way to get Pitt to loose it. Sadistic.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Nothing against SAW, it was a great film, one of my last year's favorites. But it'll never be Se7en. In fact, there won't ever be another Se7en. Se7en is a milestone of modern filmmaking. The execution is seamless, this movie represents moviemaking of highest perfection. The cinematography is astonishing, Fincher's direction superb, the acting impressive. The ending is one of the best ever made and the screenplay one of the best ever written. An extremely smart movie that leaves you thinking about it for quite a bit. Only gets better with repeated viewings. It is in my all-time TOP 10.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

A+

Nothing against SAW, it was a great film, one of my last year's favorites. But it'll never be Se7en. In fact, there won't ever be another Se7en. Se7en is a milestone of modern filmmaking. The execution is seamless, this movie represents moviemaking of highest perfection. The cinematography is astonishing, Fincher's direction superb, the acting impressive. The ending is one of the best ever made and the screenplay one of the best ever written. An extremely smart movie that leaves you thinking about it for quite a bit. Only gets better with repeated viewings. It is in my all-time TOP 10.

Agree with absolutely everything you said ;)

Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 7:58 pm
Profile YIM
Lover of Bacon

This is a solid A, in my top 20 all time, i love evrything about this film.

Fri May 06, 2005 8:10 pm
Award Winning Bastard

One of the best thrillers I've ever seen! Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman were at the top of their respective games, and Brad Pitt and Gwen Paltrow were also good.

A

Last edited by Maverikk on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:40 pm
You must have big rats

One of the best thrillers I've ever seen! Kevin Spacey and Morgan Freeman were at the top of their respective games, and Brad Pitt and Gwen Paltrow were also good.

A[

Is that an A+ or what? If so, I'd be very very pleased.

Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Maverikk wrote:

A[

Is that an A+ or what? If so, I'd be very very pleased.

Sorry, I typoed. :hahaha:

Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:07 pm
Devil's Advocate

Like, one of the greatest films ever, duh. The ending is amazing.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:28 am
htm

Tue May 23, 2006 3:54 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

This is a Great movie that deserves an "A" and if you rent the 2 Disc DVD set of this, I believe they have an Alternate Ending in there as well..

Tue May 23, 2006 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

I haven't actually seen this film as a whole. I saw some bits on television, but never got to watching the entire thing. I really should rent this.

*Insert ashamed smilie because of not having seen a movie with all of these A/A+ grades*

PEACE, Mike.

Tue May 23, 2006 11:32 pm
Top Poster

Interesting, the lowest grade is still an A- in this thread.

Gave this another viewing around a month a good and it still gets an A from me.

Wed May 24, 2006 12:50 am
Profile WWW
htm

This is a Great movie that deserves an "A" and if you rent the 2 Disc DVD set of this, I believe they have an Alternate Ending in there as well..

Ya, I heard. I need to buy the Special Edition - Costco has it for 9.99 if anyone is interested.

Wed May 24, 2006 10:49 am
You must have big rats

Nearly perfect...

Dear, Zach, you got it all wrong...

It IS perfect! :D

Wed May 24, 2006 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next