Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Fantastic Four 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 16 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
F 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 64

Fantastic Four 
Teh Mexican

OK! i dont care i really liked it!, it was very entertaining the humor actually worked well at least for me!

Mr. Fantastic looked a little cheesy and they defeted Doom to fast, other than that it was Fantastic :razz:

A-

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:10 am
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:
BKB_The_Man wrote:
bABA wrote:
movies35 wrote:
Killuminati510 wrote:
:laugh: You jealous SpielbergBoys, you wish WOTW was as fun as F4, WOTW has to be the 2nd most boring movie of the year, which is only topped by Batman Begins, both movies wish they could be as fun as F4, it's ok maybe next time Spielberg will make a fun movie for you guys :laugh:

How can you give a film a near perfect rating when you think it's boring?

bkb hasn't really seen a single movie i nthe past 4 years movie35. he just blabs now.

Uh, care to explain yourself on this?? I've seen 5 movies or so this year at the theatre, not counting on DVD Baba, so give it a rest..

its very clear that you haven't seen anything at all. RT said that white noise and AvP sucked but you keep claiming they were good leading me to believe there is no way you saw either movie and if you lied about them, you lied about everything else as well.

Baba, you might just qualify as the biggest idiot of the night.. Because RT sh*t on AVP and WHITE NOISE means I have to follow in step with what they think and how they feel about these movies, right?? I'm not allowed to enjoy these movies unless RT gives them the seal of approval?? :roll: They say they sucked, I say they were damn good, FUC* OFF.. Nuff said..

even the multiplier didn't hit 3 .. more evidence the movie was badd. you continually say its good. hence you havne't seen it. how many times have you viewed this now bkb?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:27 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Holy shit. I'm about to enter an argument on BKB's side...!

Seriously baBA, let him troll. If he saw it and liked it, let him like it. More power to him. I thought it was fairly decent...are you going to argue with me that my opinion is wrong because RT and the weekend IM says so?

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:12 am
Commander and Chef

Holy shit. I'm about to enter an argument on BKB's side...!

Seriously baBA, let him troll. If he saw it and liked it, let him like it. More power to him. I thought it was fairly decent...are you going to argue with me that my opinion is wrong because RT and the weekend IM says so?

not at all .. but you're not the one here arguing that just because you have one opinion on the movie that everyone else is wrong. clearly if someone believes that way, one cannot argue against the popular opinion because the credibility of your opinion goes down.

so hence, i enjoyed the movie, you enjoyed the movie. we both saw it. bkb claims he enjoyed the movie but his entire stance on how to judge the quality of the movie leads me to believe that he hasn't seen it

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Ok. In that case, go for it. I still say let him troll...you're only feeding the flames. But if you must, tear him apart.

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:10 pm
Hot Fuss

STAY AWAY! This is the worst movie of the year!

This takes RETARDED to a new level. I can't even let this shit pass, talk about bad everything. Worst plot ever, worst story ever. Completely unfunny and overall appalling. This is the most overrated drivel ever.

F

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:26 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

STAY AWAY! This is the worst movie of the year!

This takes RETARDED to a new level. I can't even let this shit pass, talk about bad everything. Worst plot ever, worst story ever. Completely unfunny and overall appalling. This is the most overrated drivel ever.

F

what?!?! :shock: zac!!! chris evans alone makes this a A++++ YUM come on!! change your grade!

Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:31 pm
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

I was slightly disappointed. I expected a little more action. It seemed like the movie was just starting to come together - and then it ended.

It wasn't completely terrible and it had a few humorous/fun moments. The Thing and Torch were well fleshed out characters and generally fun when they were on screen... but, it came to a screeching halt when it came to the scenes between Storm (Alba) and Reed. A tad too much boring setup and love story for me.

I'm somewhere in the middle on this one... I'll go with a 6 out of 10 (C).

Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:13 am
I just lost the game

I agree with Tony, mostly. By the time it got momentum, the movie was over, which is a shame because it could have really lead to a great action flick. Mr. Fantastic is the most annoying superhero I've ever seen. I really wanted him to just fall flat on his face and die in the middle of every scene. Nip/Tuck was decent enough as Dr. Doom, though not memorable. Alba was good, although I have a hunch Story casted her just to spite every male in the audience (the theater went NUTS when she walked onto screen for the first time in her tight blue space uniform). Evans and Chiklis though were great. Evans really had the perfect charisma and attitude for the role, although I hope his character will mature a bit if/when they make another. Chiklis's storyline was far better than the romance between Fantasic and Invisible Girl. I wish it were lfeshed out more.

Anyway, I think you can shut your brain down for about 2 hours, this can be an entrtaining movie. A bit annoying sometimes (DIE MR. FANTASTIC!) but overall worth $7, especially if you have a good sense of humor. B-.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:36 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

I actually surprisingly enjoyed the movie. It sort of reminds me of a light hearted Xmen. Lots of humor, and there was good chemistry between Flamer and The Thing. I think they saved this movie from being a possibly boring film. The action was alright, but it didn't really blow me away. The graphics were downright horrible for Mr.Fantastic. His hand was so computer generated he looked like....CGI. And man, I felt so sad for the film being so similar to the Incredibles...but overall, the action was decent, story was mildly interesting, and was just a good summer flick. HOpefully, the sequel could be like X2 and fix everything that went wrong with this one.

Grade: B-

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

I actually surprisingly enjoyed the movie. It sort of reminds me of a light hearted Xmen. Lots of humor, and there was good chemistry between Flamer and The Thing. I think they saved this movie from being a possibly boring film. The action was alright, but it didn't really blow me away. The graphics were downright horrible for Mr.Fantastic. His hand was so computer generated he looked like....CGI. And man, I felt so sad for the film being so similar to the Incredibles...but overall, the action was decent, story was mildly interesting, and was just a good summer flick. HOpefully, the sequel could be like X2 and fix everything that went wrong with this one.

Grade: B-

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

In a word - Fantastic! Oh c'mon, did you really expect me to not like this film? Fantastic Four had only one goal to accomplish, which was to entertain. And entertain, it did. The "cheesiness factor" was well up there; especially when the accident occurs in space (couldn't help but laugh at this scene). But, it was fun. The movie isn't technically great, but it didn't really matter here. Lots of great special effects and some hilarious moments. Chris Evans was actually perfect for the role of the extreme, fun, and cocky Johnny Storm. Jessica Alba wasn't that bad, though not as impressive as she was in Sin City. The rest of the cast was bleh. Dr. Doom wasn't as effective as I had hoped, imo. I had a great time. A

Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:45 pm
I'm Batman

In a word - Fantastic! Oh c'mon, did you really expect me to not like this film? Fantastic Four had only one goal to accomplish, which was to entertain. And entertain, it did. The "cheesiness factor" was well up there; especially when the accident occurs in space (couldn't help but laugh at this scene). But, it was fun. The movie isn't technically great, but it didn't really matter here. Lots of great special effects and some hilarious moments. Chris Evans was actually perfect for the role of the extreme, fun, and cocky Johnny Storm. Jessica Alba wasn't that bad, though not as impressive as she was in Sin City. The rest of the cast was bleh. Dr. Doom wasn't as effective as I had hoped, imo. I had a great time. A

Boo.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:02 am
Extraordinary

Zingaling wrote:

Boo.

I can understand why you might not like this movie yourself, but what I can't understand is how a movie lover like you, can begrudge another movie lover's enjoyment of it. This is already a pretty tough planet, can't we leave a little room for other people's joy?

:???:

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:02 am
I'm Batman

BacktotheFuture wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

Boo.

I can understand why you might not like this movie yourself, but what I can't understand is how a movie lover like you, can begrudge another movie lover's enjoyment of it. This is already a pretty tough planet, can't we leave a little room for other people's joy?

I was just busting Zing's chops.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:14 am
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:
BacktotheFuture wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

Boo.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was in fun - I just had a little run-in with the zingthing over The Honeymooners - so you're right, that guy could use a little chop-bustin' - is there any way I can be of assistance...

Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:23 am
I'm Batman

BacktotheFuture wrote:
bradley witherberry wrote:
BacktotheFuture wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

Boo.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was in fun - I just had a little run-in with the zingthing over The Honeymooners - so you're right, that guy could use a little chop-bustin' - is there any way I can be of assistance...

Yeah make fun of him for liking Fantastic Four and not knowing that The Honeymooners is a comedic masterpiece.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:43 am
New Server, Same X

"Oh, those Fantastic Four!" Picture me shaking my head, with a huge grin on my face, as apparent star of the film, Johnny Storm, ignites the night sky with the Fantastic Four symbol at the end of the movie.

I'm guessing that's what they wanted. They didn't get it.

Far too much, Fantastic Four tries to be corny, then it tries to be serious. I wish it would have picked one of the two, because it was far too serious at times to allow a joke to slip by, then it was far too corny to be taken seriously. It is the epitome of textbook superhero movie. Not even one change to it, it just follows the exact rules. Bunch of normals get superpowers, they adapt to the powers, they make mistakes, they split it off for a while, then all come together for the big baddie at the end. That's the premise. No really, it is!

How about entertaining? Okay, this is where the film does well. It's hard to deny that this film is damn entertaining! Amidst some of the "well, that's kind of funny" jokes, the film is entertaining as hell. Not too long, not too much to absorb, and in the end, you don't lose much, but you don't gain much either.

I was hoping for a lot more from the characters, but I only really liked The Thing. Johnny was cool at the start, but as the film progressed, I found him incredibly irritating. We get it, you're the cool one. You're the popular one. You're also the conceited one. And don't forget the annoying one. Stretch the Scientist lacks anything that would make me like him or hate him. Hot chick Sue Storm is nothing to write home about, either. I still think you're hot, Jessica. And don't complain about her acting. She does fine with what is required of her. Same with the rest of the cast. And, Dr. Doom himself isn't much of a villain. He's supposed to be the bad guy, but for most of the film, he's the in-between baddie. Not good, but not quite on the dark side just yet. Then, when he does become the villain, the movie is basically over within minutes. The film is the equivalent of just sticking your foot in the swimming pool, to test it out. A sequel will be far superior, since this film was just a big introduction to the Fantastic Four and their superpowers.

In the end, the best part of this is the entertainment aspect. It entertains you, but it still has some issues that can't be overlooked. They couldn't add anything to stand out as a great superhero movie, they crammed in enough one-liners to keep me in business for a while, most characters couldn't even stand out on their own and they didn't give us enough to introduce us (even if the film felt like one big intro to The Fantastic Four). I hate dissecting this movie, because I don't want to piss off BKB. But if I didn't think it was great, I'm telling you why. I'm not going to slap my usual "A" grade on this, like most superhero movies. My final words: entertaining, not extraordinary. Grade: B-

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:25 pm
The French Dutch Boy

Fantastic Four was fun sometimes, but overall it was pretty crappy. Cringeworthy dialogue, crappy acting, over-rushed pace, inconsistencies, etc. Even the CGI was, relative to other CGI, poor. I mean, come on! Obviously the main attraction of film like this is not story or character development, but the action and CGI, and it couldn't even deliver there. And to show you I am not biased against these type of films, I was fully prepared going into this film to give it a B or B-, an even better grade than I have given it, thinking this film would fulfill the nice niche of lighthearted, comedy comic film. I can recognize the entertainment in these type of films, and am not genre biased. But this film TRIED to be serious. It went back and forth from serious mode to comedic mode, and this inconsistency just ruined the film. The best scenes were all with The Human Torch, as he gave the film the perfect comedy angle it should have stuck with throughout. In the end, it didn't really succeed much anywhere. People often say "we go to these type of films for the entertainment, not Oscar calibur filmmaking", and I completely agree. But Fantastic Four was on and off in terms of being entertaining. There was, truthfully, a lot of boring parts, and in the end, did not succeed as a fully entertaining summer popcorn film that I can give credit to, when it's due.

Overall, a terrible film that I wouldn't sit through again, and would not recommend to see in theatres. C-.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:11 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Fantastic Four was fun sometimes, but overall it was pretty crappy. Cringeworthy dialogue, crappy acting, over-rushed pace, inconsistencies, etc. Even the CGI was, relative to other CGI, poor. I mean, come on! Obviously the main attraction of film like this is not story or character development, but the action and CGI, and it couldn't even deliver there. And to show you I am not biased against these type of films, I was fully prepared going into this film to give it a B or B-, an even better grade than I have given it, thinking this film would fulfill the nice niche of lighthearted, comedy comic film. I can recognize the entertainment in these type of films, and am not genre biased. But this film TRIED to be serious. It went back and forth from serious mode to comedic mode, and this inconsistency just ruined the film. The best scenes were all with The Human Torch, as he gave the film the perfect comedy angle it should have stuck with throughout. In the end, it didn't really succeed much anywhere. People often say "we go to these type of films for the entertainment, not Oscar calibur filmmaking", and I completely agree. But Fantastic Four was on and off in terms of being entertaining. There was, truthfully, a lot of boring parts, and in the end, did not succeed as a fully entertaining summer popcorn film that I can give credit to, when it's due.

Overall, a terrible film that I wouldn't sit through again, and would not recommend to see in theatres. C-.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Gee?? And you folks give me #### about giving BATMAN BEGINS a 9.5 rating when I mentioned flaws, but Mike here calls F4 Terrible and gives it a "C-".. Go figure.. If it was terrible, wouldn't you just given it an "F"?? :-k

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:13 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

"Oh, those Fantastic Four!" Picture me shaking my head, with a huge grin on my face, as apparent star of the film, Johnny Storm, ignites the night sky with the Fantastic Four symbol at the end of the movie.

I'm guessing that's what they wanted. They didn't get it.

Far too much, Fantastic Four tries to be corny, then it tries to be serious. I wish it would have picked one of the two, because it was far too serious at times to allow a joke to slip by, then it was far too corny to be taken seriously. It is the epitome of textbook superhero movie. Not even one change to it, it just follows the exact rules. Bunch of normals get superpowers, they adapt to the powers, they make mistakes, they split it off for a while, then all come together for the big baddie at the end. That's the premise. No really, it is!

How about entertaining? Okay, this is where the film does well. It's hard to deny that this film is damn entertaining! Amidst some of the "well, that's kind of funny" jokes, the film is entertaining as hell. Not too long, not too much to absorb, and in the end, you don't lose much, but you don't gain much either.

I was hoping for a lot more from the characters, but I only really liked The Thing. Johnny was cool at the start, but as the film progressed, I found him incredibly irritating. We get it, you're the cool one. You're the popular one. You're also the conceited one. And don't forget the annoying one. Stretch the Scientist lacks anything that would make me like him or hate him. Hot chick Sue Storm is nothing to write home about, either. I still think you're hot, Jessica. And don't complain about her acting. She does fine with what is required of her. Same with the rest of the cast. And, Dr. Doom himself isn't much of a villain. He's supposed to be the bad guy, but for most of the film, he's the in-between baddie. Not good, but not quite on the dark side just yet. Then, when he does become the villain, the movie is basically over within minutes. The film is the equivalent of just sticking your foot in the swimming pool, to test it out. A sequel will be far superior, since this film was just a big introduction to the Fantastic Four and their superpowers.

In the end, the best part of this is the entertainment aspect. It entertains you, but it still has some issues that can't be overlooked. They couldn't add anything to stand out as a great superhero movie, they crammed in enough one-liners to keep me in business for a while, most characters couldn't even stand out on their own and they didn't give us enough to introduce us (even if the film felt like one big intro to The Fantastic Four). I hate dissecting this movie, because I don't want to piss off BKB. But if I didn't think it was great, I'm telling you why. I'm not going to slap my usual "A" grade on this, like most superhero movies. My final words: entertaining, not extraordinary. Grade: B-

Ever read the comic??? :-k It was both serious and what was that?? Corny to.. It stayed true to the comic for the most part excluding DOOM being part of the crew that went into space..

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:16 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Ever read the comic??? :-k It was both serious and what was that?? Corny to.. It stayed true to the comic for the most part excluding DOOM being part of the crew that went into space..

No, so I admit that I don't know as much as I should about the comic book, and I likely don't know much about what I'm talking about. But, doesn't mean I couldn't enjoy the film! I saw the first two Harry Potter films before I read the books, and still enjoyed them. I just thought it tried too hard to be both serious and corny, and often at the most inappropriate times.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:31 pm
Forum General

PEACE, Mike ;)

Agreed, Mike. Despite the occasional guffaw-inducing scene of ridiculousness, this film is dull, insipid, and lacking any wit other than the occasional Johnny Storm quip (most of which we already saw in the trailers). I think your C- may even be a bit lenient.

The whole time I was watching it, I was thinking that not only has this been done before, but it's been done with more style (Spider-Man), more humor (The Incredibles), and a more compelling story (X-Men). Mr. X said he doesn't want to dissect the film, but I don't even think dissection is necessary: this film just bored me out of my mind.

There are also a few scenes that are just utterly laughable: the Thing's ordeal with his wife, then him meeting up with Kerry Washington's character (what in the world is she doing in this movie?), Jessica Alba picking up a photo album and swooning at pictures of a lost relationship (that one had me snickering), "It's clobberin' time!", every scene with Julian McMahon, etc. All golden, which would work great if this thing was somehow played for laughs, but it's not. Not at all.

D

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I was expecting this to be much worse, but I actually walked out somewhat entertained. I thought Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis were all very well casted in their respective roles, but I thought Ioan Gruffudd seemed out of place as Reed Richards. I'm not sure who else I would've casted in place of him, but he just didn't seem to fit.

Overall though, I thought it was a little too campy (The BMX sequence and the CGI effects mostly contributed to this) to be placed on the same level as Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, and Superman, but I thought it was pretty much as good as the original Spider-Man.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:07 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Actually, pretty much what DKMuto said! It's all been done before, and it's all been done much better before, too! Fantastic Four may be terrific if it was the first comic book movie before this huge explosion of comic book films (like, say, if it came out before Spider-Man in 2002), but now that we have so many to choose from, Fantastic Four is just a stale film. Everything that makes it entertaining is done better elsewhere.

And, my changed grade: C.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next