Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Fantastic Four 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 16 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
C 23%  23%  [ 15 ]
D 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
F 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 64

Fantastic Four 
Forum General

You know, I was one of the only ones who actually thought the movie looked incredibly stupid and just plain stupid because everyone I talked to weeks and days before, wanted to see it!

I saw it with 2 of my closest friends and we actually had a great time. It wasn't a great movie, and the atmosphere in which I watched the movie definitely had an affect, but I was laughing almost all the way through (then again, that is all we do, the 3 of us, laugh).

Bottom line, it wasn't as stupid and boring as I thought it was and there defintely was potential there, but some of it did come off rediculously laughable. I don't know what Julian McCohan was doing in this movie.... bad move. His character was horribly written and he didn't even seem to do anything himself to really bring the character to its best with what there was to work with.

All nontheless, it was entertaining, even if only when watching it with company.

So, I give it a B- and at best a B!

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:39 pm
The Original

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:49 am
The Original

It was ok. Nothing like Spiderman X-men or Batman but it had some nice jokes and it was overall entertaining.
Big letdowns were
- Very bad cut in the first half. It felt rushed but the Characterdevelopment still needed until the end WTF.
-Doom was just ok and sorry thats just not enough for Doom. I guess he will be bigger in the Sequel but the way they settle him in [-X . Why use Ultimate Doom when you can have the classic Doom. As some of you said it was not the problem of McMahon (who did a very fine job). It was a problem of the script. mehhh. Doom is one of the Kickasser in the Comicworld and it just didnt feel so in that movie.
Overall I give a 6/10

Entertaining but forgetable in the same time.

BTW:In the Sequel they can easy show how Alba does put something on. I WANT FULL FRONTAL NUDITY.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:06 pm
Mod Team Leader

Well, I finally saw the film and I have to say that this one surprised the hell out of me. It was so much fun and it went by so fast. I was so surprised by the quality of the film. There was nothing serious about it but just two hours of a good time. I would highly recommned this to anyone. It is perhaps the third best film I've seen this summer next to Sith and Wedding Crashers.

8/10

Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
La Bella Vito

Fantasic Four works for the most part. Chris Evans is great in his role, and really adds a lot of comic relief, and most of the time it works. Jessica Alba is also very good in her role, and she looks very lickable in her bra and panties. The rest of the cast is exceptional. I thought the guy that played Doom was great, and he did fabulous playing the villian. The action sequences are nothing special. They have this been there done that kind of vibe to them, but they are passable as entertaining fluff. The story is really simple, but that's what I expected from a comic book movie. There are some really cool moments, but ultimately this movie is very forgettable. I did however like the ending, with Doom seeming like he isn't indeed dead. For the most part most of the things work, and the good outweighs the bad. Tim Story did a commendable job with what he had. It's definitely not a great movie, but its a great way to waste a two hours, and its surely more entertaining than most summer movies.

B-

Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Mod Team Leader

This one shocked the hell out of me. From all the negativity that I heard about this film, I went to see this film expecting absolute crap. What I got was a fun and immensely enteftaining film. All of the cast was great and the story moved along very quickly. And yes, Alba is just fun to look at.

8/10

Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I saw this with no expectations and enjoyed it. It reminds me of the first X-Men movie, so I hope the sequel will be as good as X2 was. I thought the casting and characterizations of The Thing and The Human Torch were perfect, while Jessica Alba is this movie's Storm/Halle Berry - adequate but could have been a whole lot better (Charlize Theron, anyone?) It was an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon when I got rained off of the beach. My grade: B.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:41 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The early teasers and trailer had me worried and my worries were confirmed when I saw it. This movie officially takes the cake as the very worst Marvel adaptation ever made, yes even worse than Blade: Trinity and Elektra, and I am actually a huge Marvel fan (four Marvel flicks are in my all-time Top 20). This movie is way too stupid and too tame for its own good. Is it a horrible movie? No, it's not, just a teribly mediocre one.

I was surprised how bad Jessica Alba actually was in this film. You can all praise her looks as you want, but her acting abilities aren#t the greatest. Ioan Gruffudd is very bland as Reed Richards. I understand that it's similar to his character, but he could have at least tried and fleshed out a role a bit more on his own. Michael Chiklis didn't do anything for me and McMahon's von Doom was quite a lame villain, on par with Blade: TrinityÄs sub-par Drake. The showdown between him and the Fantastic Four was a huge letdown.

At least Chris Evans was a real blast in this one. While I didn't exactly laugh at his one-liners, I found him and his character to be quite a bit of fun. Too bad they didn't explore him a bit more.

This movie also lacked heavily in "well-made action" department. The visual effects were pretty decent, but not a single action/speecial-effects scene really impress me. In the end, it remained a very tame movie and too light for its good. The movie really plaes in comparison to the milestones of the genre like both X-Men and both Spider-Man movies. It was a movie for kids, not a movie I could really enjoy. I was very disappointed, but I should have seen it coming with that crew and cast.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:21 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Extremely average comic book movie. Not even the action is worth mentioned. C

Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Top Poster

B-. Above expectations. Jessica Alba's performance wasn't as bad as in Into the Blue, but getting there.

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

I think people should feel embarrassed for liking this movie. Still one of the most lamest comic adaptation yet.

D!

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:07 pm
loyalfromlondon

The worst of the recent comic book adaptations, that I've seen. Attempting to combine the best parts of X-Men and Spider-Man produces none of the same result, and the film ends up flat and boring. None of the characters are that interesting or even believable; they all seem like some accelerated stereotypes. The story could be a bit more intriguing if more realism and less product placement was injected into it, but, alas, that is not the case. There are a few intentional laughs, courtesy mostly the banter between the Human Torch and the Thing, but many more unintentional laughs, courtesy mostly the relationship between Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman - which occupies too much of the screen time, and reeks of a half-hearted attempt to put romance into the story. And Dr. Doom is laughably bad. All in all, not so fantastic.

The acting is simply dreadful, with only Chris Evans really standing out through pure charisma. Chiklis does well considering his get-up, but you never feel for the character at all. Alba is predictably wooden, but nice to look at, Gruffudd has no leading man sensibilites at all, and McMahon is about as cheesy as it gets. The dialogue is pretty bad most of the time, topped only by the amateur direction and complete lack of realism. I know most comic book stories have to suspend your belief a bit, but this is too much. Nothing about this film seems anything close to realistic - it seems to take place in a media-controlled, brand named bubble. Not compelling stuff.

The special effects are terrible, also. You'd think that since all the other comic book films have great effects that this one would, as well, but it doesn't. The Thing's costume looks painfully like a costume, and the other three's powers look painfully like digital effects. The music ranges from mediocre to just plain bad, especially attempting to incorporate the soundtrack songs in. The action picks up at the end, and the finale is relatively exciting, but then it's over - just like that. The climax is never built up and ends too abruptly. Overall, a poor effort.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:47 pm
Indiana Jones IV

First time I saw this I thought it was an ok film, but the 2nd time it was just hard to watch....C-/D+

Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

it was nothing special, just an average movie.

B

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

Don't know if I reviewed this yet, but...

C+

Pretty much the definition of an average comic book film.

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:49 pm
life begins now

Saw this yesterday for the first time and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't nearly as bad as critics/WOM indicated. It wasn't the best comic book film by any means, but it certainly isn't the worst (Electra is a comic book movie, right?). Chris Evans gives the best performance in the movie, as he had me laughing with almost everything he said. I'm looking forward to the sequel coming out this year.

B

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:27 pm
Profile YIM
Star Trek XI

Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

...but is F4 funny enough for me to bother seeing?

(Somebody on another board said it was as funny as Harold And Kumar - can anyone independently confirm this?))

bradley witherberry wrote:
I ended up seeing F4 tonight and it was pretty darn entertaining.

Shame is, it could have been freakin' fantastic with three key changes:

First, get rid of Jessica Alba - Yow! - that girl couldn't act her way out of a parking ticket! And worse, she doesn't even have one memorable hottie shot (eg: the cowgirl rope tricks amidst her equally bad performance in the great movie Sin City).

Second, would've been to get a decent actor to play the bad guy, Van Doom - this Julian McMahon was almost as bad as Jessica Alba!

Finally, they could have put a wee bit more thought into tightening up the story - it started great and dogged out by the last act.

The good stuff is that the other three leads - Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, and Michael Chiklis were indeed fantastic. Plus, the screenplay had an excellent sense of humor, though I would have liked to have seen it cranked up even more - a little bit more Austin Powers and a little less Batman Begins...

This is the Charlie's Angels of superhero movies - let's hope we see just as much improvement in it's sequel.

This movie could have easily been 4 out of 5, if not higher - but as it stands, I can stand by a rating of:

3 out of 5.

Behold! The progression...

Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:09 am
Extraordinary

Nothing else was on TV tonight, and I refused to use up my precious Netflix Watch Now hours, so I watched this.
One or two funny moments.
Chris Evans is fucking hot.
Nothing else worthwhile.

D

Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5