Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Easter 2021 Weekend Estimates: A New Hope 
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

Post Easter 2021 Weekend Estimates: A New Hope
From ERC:

WB's GODZILLA VS KONG stomped into cinemas with a $32M debut and $48.5M over the 5-day Easter holiday.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:45 am

Post Re: Easter 2021 Weekend Estimates: A New Hope
The new landscape is going to be defined by this weekend. Theatrical distribution is not dead nor immaterial. However, we can’t ignore that GvK did these numbers while being on HBOMAX.

I don’t think we’ll see big budget releases be released on theatrical and streaming at same time but I do think the future is set where most films, including the tent poles, will be released on streaming within 30-60 days after their theatrical debut.

GvK has provided a hope for theatrical and yet also ensures the old ways are done. The new normal is about to form. Our understanding of box office is forever changed. But we should all be happy that box office and theatrical distribution will still exist and produce some giant numbers for us to marvel at.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:55 am
Extraordinary

and THE UNHOLY opens with $3.2m (okay, but I expected a bit more over Easter)

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

This # would have much higher had there been less restrictions. People are ready to return to theaters. Megaopeners will be back.

THE BATMAN $300M + opening weekend no doubt

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:17 am
The Dark Knight

Numbers are finally looking decent again. I wonder which movie will take the coveted "first post-pandemic blockbuster" title.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:20 am
Extraordinary

Fantastic opening for GVK.

I kind of feel like Croods isn't getting credit for where credit is due. It really was the film that paved the way for Tom and Jerry, Wonder Woman, and GvK's success. The film was at first thought dumped on Thanksgiving with its at home release but they showed the model works for concurrent home and theatrical release.

94% of markets are open now (55% cinemas overall have re-opened) 100M + have been vaccinated which has helped to drive the box office acceleration. Croods paved the way though on the new model imo.

Last edited by O on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Very nice start. Could honestly get pretty close to its predecessor's total. Even if it does drop heavy initially like most releases have under these circumstances, I see no reason why it wouldn't also develop good/strong legs afterwards like many recent releases as well. And it might not actually drop particularly hard. With more people willing to go out now, it could have one of the more "normal" runs we've seen in a long time.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:00 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Amazing for GvK. Agreed with O on Croods paving the way.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

mark66 wrote:

If only....

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:02 pm

O wrote:

I kind of feel like Croods isn't getting credit for where credit is due. It really was the film that paved the way for Tom and Jerry, Wonder Woman, and GvK's success. The film was at first thought dumped on Thanksgiving with its at home release but they showed the model works for concurrent home and theatrical release.

94% of markets are open now (55% cinemas overall have re-opened) 100M + have been vaccinated which has helped to drive the box office acceleration. Croods paved the way though on the new model imo.

Croods kept theaters alive during a dark time but we all know that opening weekends drive this business now and GvK is the one to give hope on that front.

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:38 pm
Extraordinary

Really quite crazy to see numbers like these again. It's gonna pass King of the Monsters WW probably by next week jesus. I'm just happy that even with the HBO Max decision there is clearly audience who want to see blockbusters on the big screen.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:40 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
O wrote:

Croods kept theaters alive during a dark time but we all know that opening weekends drive this business now and GvK is the one to give hope on that front.

Croods OW was very powerful at the time in relative terms. 2,211 theaters, only 38% of theaters open (with top 2 markets NYC/LA not open which wasn't the case this weekend), it did $14 M over Thanksgiving. Not saying GvK won't lead to more studio release date changes and burst the gate further open, but think Croods had more influence on the initial streaming/theatrical model decisions by the studios and opened a gate and hope for theaters, studios and especially moviegoers to feel comfortable going to theaters again.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

I think Croods 2's greatest achievement was being the first movie to really show that, even when the option is there to watch at home, a significant portion of people will still go to a movie theater. Croods 2 had made $25 million before being available to rent at home for $20, and after that still made an additional $30 million while bouncing on and off the top slot at the weekend box office, and also during the worst weeks of the pandemic. For families, the $20 home rental should be an objectively better option considering *broadly gestures* and yet they still went to a theater.

Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magnus wrote:
The new landscape is going to be defined by this weekend. Theatrical distribution is not dead nor immaterial. However, we can’t ignore that GvK did these numbers while being on HBOMAX.

I don’t think we’ll see big budget releases be released on theatrical and streaming at same time but I do think the future is set where most films, including the tent poles, will be released on streaming within 30-60 days after their theatrical debut.

GvK has provided a hope for theatrical and yet also ensures the old ways are done. The new normal is about to form. Our understanding of box office is forever changed. But we should all be happy that box office and theatrical distribution will still exist and produce some giant numbers for us to marvel at.

It’s a pivotal moment indeed.

I honestly think a 30 day window between theatrical and streaming is not only feasible but also a good business model and compromise between traditional and modern audience habits.

Still plenty of $$$ to go around even expectations need to be adjusted.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:32 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Jonathan wrote:
I think Croods 2's greatest achievement was being the first movie to really show that, even when the option is there to watch at home, a significant portion of people will still go to a movie theater. Croods 2 had made $25 million before being available to rent at home for $20, and after that still made an additional $30 million while bouncing on and off the top slot at the weekend box office, and also during the worst weeks of the pandemic. For families, the $20 home rental should be an objectively better option considering *broadly gestures* and yet they still went to a theater.

Yes - we took the kids to see it at the drive-in (just like we did with Raya and Peter Rabbit 2) though granted the situation is different here.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 pm
Romosexual!

$48m 5-day while also on HBO Max simultaneously AND with limited seatings. BRAVO GvK, BRAVO! This moment will long be remembered.

Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]