Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Would a PG-13 Snyder cut JL film broke $1B WW? 
KJ's Most Embarssing Misspeller

Post Would a PG-13 Snyder cut JL film broke $1B WW?
there is zero chance that a four hour, R-rated Snyder cut film would have been released theatrically. However, it was very possible that a 2.5 hour, PG-13 Snyder film could have been released.

The main benefits it seems that version would have are:

-Darkseid/Joker use in marketing
-better reviews
-better WOM

The first two I think actually could have added as much as ~25m to OW. It would have generated more hype and convinced a lot of folks who were on the fence. The latter obviously would have helped the films legs. I think it could have gone from 2.45 to ~2.9. So that would give it about a 120m OW and a 350m total. Its overseas performance was solid so I think it could have been boosted by these factors as well and flirted with 650m OS to get to $1B WW.

I think an extra 300m-350m WW to that films box office + audiences being more approving of the universe direction could have put DCEU in a very favorable position today. It still wouldn't have been MCU but I think we'd have a got a JL sequel film with Darkseid in 2020/2021 (which would have been pushed to 2022 probably due to pandemic).

Magnus is right
trixster wrote:
magnus is my hero
Loyal wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus is the fucking voice of reason.
That's scary.
bABA wrote:
fuck Magnus
zwackerm wrote:
You're incredibly overrated and and if they made a Pixar film about you it would gross less than The Good Dinosaur.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:57 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Would a PG-13 Snyder cut JL film broke $1B WW?
That $650m OS is a little too high. A lot of DCEU movies get 50-60% Dom-to-OS ratio. Synder's JL wouldn't have that low of ratio but it still would not have made $650m OS mostly because the property is not as big in China and there were no character development before for Chinese audience to latch onto.

Additionally you have to consider that Synder in 2017 was disliked way more than Synder in 2020. The reviews are now good because the bar was way low for it. A direct theatrical release would still been rotten though maybe in 50's and that's a guarantee.

I think a total of $850m-$900m WW which wouldn't have been profitable but the movie would not have lost money and the sequel would have come out. $1b though never looked achievable for the movie in 2017 specially after BvS.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:08 am
Extraordinary

I think had they released a 2 and a half hour Snyder cut think it could've done $800m+ WW if it was as satisfying as how the 4 hour cut is now but at the same time... it's just different as there was such pentup anticipation for the release.

There was so much baggage with Josstice League and no one being super favorable about it just created apathy. It's just funny how Josstice League did nothing for characters like Cyborg and Flash and the Snyder cut they were probably the most favorable.

I think with it being better received it would've beat BvS domestically but below WW, kinda like what happened with Black Panther/Infinity War domestically.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 am
Romosexual!

Let's just say it would've made MORE cash than Josstice League did. A lot more.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:49 pm
Superfreak

Meh. The stench from BVS was too much

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:33 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Please! Take out 2/3 f bombs and it’s pg13. It’s about as graphic as Days of Future Past. The most graphic thing was cyborg being ripped in 2 and that was only in the theatrical

Remember JL had BVS wom and a horrible marketing campaign, they didn’t even highlight that Superman was coming back to life until the final trailer a week before release. The legs were still the best of BVS, SS. I think a truncated Snyder cut would been in the same boat. Maybe marketing the three of Superman, Leto and darkseid and a summer and a better release could have gotten it to 140/ 320 total. But that BVS this was hard to ignore.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 pm
The Kramer

Nah. Snyder’s reputation has turned around in recent years. He went from the “300 guy” to the “daughter committed suicide guy.” Scorn turned into sympathy.

He has played the comeback tour perfectly and that has been a much better form of marketing than anything WB did for Justice League four years ago.

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:51 pm
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Nah. Snyder’s reputation has turned around in recent years. He went from the “300 guy” to the “daughter committed suicide guy.” Scorn turned into sympathy.

He has played the comeback tour perfectly and that has been a much better form of marketing than anything WB did for Justice League four years ago.

... even if this was remotely true (... it's not), poor taste flav.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:46 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I do not think what Flava'd said was completely incorrect as well. Among critics Synder's star has risen, even before JL's release he got the Valiant award at Hollywood Critics Association.

Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:33 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The Joker scene was gratuitous fanboy service and ZS trying to insert scenes from the sequel he'll probably never get to make. I think featuring him in the trailer would've pissed people off when they found out it's just a cameo.

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]