Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The 1-Day release - has this happened before? 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The 1-Day release - has this happened before?
I'm sure most missed this but on Monday 28th October the No.2 film was Love & Mercy a film about Saint Faustina.

It came in @ $1.42m, second only to the Joker's $1.77m.

It was released on 797 screens for one day only and then disappeared. Quite impressive.

Has this happened before? I do recall a few concert films in the 00s being released for a weekend or a week or two but cant recall any film making this sort of mark for one day and disappearing. Especially on a Monday.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:31 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The 1-Day release - has this happened before?
That's weird. Didn't even realize it!

Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 pm
Veteran

impressive business for one day. Didn't see any promos but it sounds like it was more grassroots WOM. 1 day isn't enough to qualify for awards so I can't see the streaming services doing it.

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:49 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Does anybody know how many theaters Dolemite or Irishmen is getting? The latter looks to be in close to 110 theaters I would say. It's a shame AMC and Netflix couldn't work out a deal. I think they were going to get something close to 1000, but it would have pushed the Netflix release to early next year.

As far as films getting 1 day releases, it happens all the time, but that is definitely extremely high profile original release. I would not be surprised if somewhere down the lines a few years, one extremely high profile release film will get only 1 day in 1000+ theaters then immediately streamed the following day. Richard Linklater I'm looking at you!

From a business standpoint it is just a massive headache. I'm sure the film will get more runs. It's very expensive to make prints and then just discard them.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:28 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

A lot of anime films do this that receive limited releases by GKids or Funimation. They're usually released for a week or two (on particular days, not full weeks), typically in the middle of the week in 500 or so theaters.

Just over the twelve months or so:

2019:
One Piece: Stampede ranked #6 on October 24th, earning $413,015.
Promare ranked #3 on September 19th, earning $467,055.
Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel - II. Lost Butterfly ranked #5 on March 14th, earning $420,595.

2018:
Mirai ranked #10 on November 29th, earning $210,261.
My Hero Academia: Two Heroes ranked #5 on September 25th, earning $947,636. It also ranked #3 on September 26th and 27th, earning $911,262 and $719,876, respectively.

There many, many examples, these are just some recent ones.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]