Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 How much would a Stranger Things movie make? 
Devil's Advocate

Post How much would a Stranger Things movie make?
If they end it after Season 4 and then release a movie, and Netflix decided to put it out in wide release in theatres, how much would it make opening weekend?

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:02 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: How much would a Stranger Things movie make?
Well it will really depend on where they take Season 4. But it could potentially make $75 mil in an OW. But also I don't think Netflix could convince people that it won't be in theaters for like 2 weeks and then immediately on Netflix. They'd just stream it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

While Stranger Things is big I believe its big because of high accessibility Netlflix provides. Its not like GoT or Downton Abbey in that case where in those series didn't start on streaming. Also that Netflix's theatrical release strategy thus far with its movies doesn't provide confidence that it won't be available on streaming soon.

Regardless of these factors if the movie is released on a cliffhanger with a big action spectacle episode "The battle of Starcourt" then it could challenge $50m OW and then fall off the cliff.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:39 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

They really should've released the last two episodes of Game of Thrones as a 2.5-hour long movie in theatres. It would've easily done $100m+ OW although legs would've been horrible lol.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:12 pm
The Kramer

If people thought TV shows would draw in theaters then we wouldn’t be getting El Camino on Netflix. I don’t think anybody knew how popular Downton Abbey was except for the fans of Downton Abbey.

Much will be greenlit now, and I’m looking at The Office as the one with most potential in the near future. In 5 years or so, I would expect to see the Starks back in some way.

As for Stranger Things, the seasons are basically just long movies, so lets say the Duffers would just do Part 4 as a two and a half hour movie and it gets released next June in theaters. Anyone who isn’t caught up on the show is out, as is anyone who just watches the show casually. I’d guess that we are still left with atleast $100M worth of people, but who knows?

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:05 pm
Extraordinary

I doubt it would happen considering the whole Netflix/theater war thing but if it was like a finale movie it'd do decent #s.

I think GoT will have a movie in like a decade. They'll probably find a way to bring back Dany and it'd do amazing.

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:34 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I doubt it would happen considering the whole Netflix/theater war thing but if it was like a finale movie it'd do decent #s.

I think GoT will have a movie in like a decade. They'll probably find a way to bring back Dany and it'd do amazing.

What will probably happen with GoT is that when George RR Martin finishes the books or he dies and his publishers raid his house and steal the manuscripts and have someone else complete them, an entirely new series will be developed that stays faithful to the source material and includes the "real" ending.

Although personally I still think that the ending was based on what George RR Martin told the showrunners and whatever ends up in the books will essentially be the same. Despite her fans being in denial, Daenerys's whole arc was pointing in that direction. This is not Harry Potter, there was no way she was just going to have a perfect hero's journey. The whole thing with Bran is an unadulterated mess though and all involved should be ashamed.

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:05 am
On autopilot for the summer

Who cares. Friends quietly made almost 3 million in what 3 days? They should really go for a reunion movie. 60+ opening

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:20 pm
Veteran

Hard to say since Netflix masks it’s viewership metrics to a large extent.

We can only assume the extent of Stranger Things popularity based on the mentions, watercooler conversations, etc. What if it’s actually a smallish number of very vocal fans? Haha

$60m OW is my guess

I was blind, but now I see.

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:46 am
Devil's Advocate

lilmac wrote:
Hard to say since Netflix masks it’s viewership metrics to a large extent.

We can only assume the extent of Stranger Things popularity based on the mentions, watercooler conversations, etc. What if it’s actually a smallish number of very vocal fans? Haha

There has been some traction on Netflix ratings, some people came up with a technique to use audio recognition software in people's phone, which Nielson then copied and releases from time to time

I tracked a few of them here and Stranger Things is indeed the biggest viewtopic.php?f=47&t=83514&hilit=Netflix

Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]