Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Friday #s 
Extraordinary

Post Friday #s
Hustlers - 13.1
It Chapter 2 - 12.8
The Goldfinch - 870k

It 2 increasing 220% because of Friday the 13th. Will it drop today? Or increase a little

Hustlers # is terrific. The Cinemascore is concerning but hopefully it has enough steam to do 100m.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:18 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Friday #s
What happened to Downton Abbey? Theaters had it on Thursday, was that just a sneak peak?

Hustlers is probably the biggest non-Disney surprise breakout of the year? Should be able to pass The Upside with ~$36M opening weekend.

LMAO at Goldfinch. With a $40M budget too. I usually don’t like to root against movies this hard but the trailer was so annoying and its good to know I wasn’t alone in that feeling.

It 2 definitely felt the F13 effect. If It had opened this weekend It would have cleared $100M easy. But anytime you have a chance to compete with the return of the NFL you have to take it.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:04 pm
Begging Naked

Magnus wrote:
The F13 factor may be bigger than I thought for IT2 after looking into it a bit more. The film likely would have just done 165% on Friday for a 10.6m day and a 33m weekend. I don't expect its weekend number to significanlty improve for what it should have done so i think best-case it has a slight increase today and drops 40% on Sunday for 34.5m weekend.

Unless Hustler is way more frontloaded than we think, the race for #1 will be very tight and probably come down to actuals.

The first It also had a Friday the 13th later in its run, and while the Friday was inflated, it still increased over 30% on Saturday. I think It will still increase 20-30% today and comfortably take #1 for the weekend.

But Hustlers is still the story of the weekend. It'll only be the THIRD non-franchise film this year to top $30 million, after two movies boosted by their brand-name directors (Us and OUATIH). All this movie had was what seeemd like an out-of-date star and some bomb-ass marketing. STX basically put all of their chips on this movie (moving 21 Bridges, My Spy, and PLAYMOBIL out of the way for it), and it paid off big time for it. The only concern going forward is if the B- Cinemascore means bad WOM and bad legs, but either way STX is making a profit off of this movie and possibly getting JLo an Oscar nomination, which practically makes them miracle workers.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Wall-E

I think the Hustlers Cinemascore might be a "You got chocolate in my peanut butter/you got peanut butter in my chocolate" deal. Like, I know it outright states "This is a movie about criminal strippers", but audiences may have been hoping for one more than the other. Also, without having seen it, it might be a darker movie than JLo fans are used to?

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Defeats all expectations

Great for Hustlers. It seems it hit the right buttons with the "strippers stealing from the Wall Street guys rigging the game and crashing the economy" jungle rule survival story.

Good Boys over/under $80m?

Hobbs and Shaw will likely beat John Wick 3.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:15 pm
Extraordinary

Lots of the August releases had decent legs. H&S is actually looking like it'll get a decent multiplier, even Scary Stories is doing a 3+ multiplier.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:24 pm
Hold the door!

Hustlers isn’t going to have good WOM with that B- from Cinemascore.

Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:47 pm
Star Trek XI

It’s probably just straight men disappointed that there wasn’t more stripping and Cardi b and Lizzo fans disappointed that they weren’t in it more. Queens J Lo and Constance are slayinggg :yes:

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]