Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:54 am



Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mulan Will Win 2020 (Worldwide): The Club 
Author Message
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 61870
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Mulan Will Win 2020 (Worldwide): The Club
They'll need to nail the casting, which I think they will. But the soon to be success of Beauty and the Beast will surely increase the domestic gross for Mulan. And there might not be a number high enough to predict for the China gross.

I think Mulan has a decent shot at a low $300 mil total, probably around $325 mil. Jungle Book made $600 mil Overseas, with $150 mil from China. I think Mulan can easily double that. And match it in every other territory. I think it can do $800+ mil Overseas. Looking at a $1.1 bil Worldwide total.

In:
Chippy
BJ

Out:
publicenemy#1
The Dark Shape
Algren
zwackerm
the lesser evil
lesterg
Rev
_axiom
Cynosure

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump


Last edited by Chippy on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.



Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:09 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15427
Location: San Diego
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Infinity War doe

(unless that somehow makes less than Civil War)


Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:33 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:56 am
Posts: 12117
Location: Adrift in L.A.
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Do people care about the original MULAN?

I don't doubt that it'll be big in China, but I think it'll sell less tickets than the original movie domestically, which only adjusts to $220 million. As Disney animated features go, it's not one of their beloved classics.

_________________
This is why I'm always broke.


Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 pm
Profile YIM
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63722
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Nobody cares about Mulan. Not even the Chinese.

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:46 pm
Profile
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14909
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
No. I think it will do over 200 million, but not 300 million, and it will be big overseas but not that big. Mulan is really good but it was only a medium size hit for Disney.

I do think the historical setting could maybe give it some Oscar love if it delivers.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:31 am
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15427
Location: San Diego
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
The Dark Shape wrote:
Do people care about the original MULAN?.

... yes


Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:55 am
Profile
Forum General

Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:53 pm
Posts: 8709
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
It's probably Disney's strongest animated film on the theme of female empowerment. I definitely think it could play to a much larger audience, especially with millennials, on top of all the nostalgia Gen X'ers.


Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:13 am
Posts: 1371
Location: The Netherlands
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
I don't see this coming anywhere near being 2018's #1 worldwide grosser, or even near Jungle Book's gross. Something around Cinderella's total seems more likely, which will be a far cry from the grosses of films like Avengers: Infinity War, Toy Story 4, the Jurassic World sequel and Avatar 2.


Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:42 am
Profile
Indiana Jones IV
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:40 am
Posts: 1325
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
300m if it's good. Nowhere near the top grosser of the year.

_________________
Image


Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:16 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 61870
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
the lesser evil wrote:
I don't see this coming anywhere near being 2018's #1 worldwide grosser, or even near Jungle Book's gross. Something around Cinderella's total seems more likely, which will be a far cry from the grosses of films like Avengers: Infinity War, Toy Story 4, the Jurassic World sequel and Avatar 2.


I highly doubt a female oriented, action packed war based film based on a very popular 90s character will do similar numbers to a Cinderella film that has been done a thousand times before.

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump


Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:22 am
Profile
Romosexual!

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:06 am
Posts: 29631
Location: the last free city
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Not going to happen. OUT!
of course it'll do huge business in China but not enough to win WW.

_________________
2019! The year Disney takes the box office. ALL THE $$$

Fuck the Orange Clown!


Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:51 am
Profile
Killing With Kindness
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:57 pm
Posts: 24988
Location: Anchorage,Alaska
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
in

_________________
The Force Awakens

Image


Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:57 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 61870
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
YEAH BUDDY

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump


Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:01 pm
Profile
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 61870
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Though if this: http://blog.angryasianman.com/2016/10/a ... sneys.html

is true, I'm cancelling this club.

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump


Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:24 pm
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
I don't think people care that much about Mulan. So this club is a fail.


Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:30 am
Posts: 391
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
For some reason I don't think having the main character be a chinese woman guarantees a hit in China. They could perfectly react negatively in a "that doesn't reflect our cuture, thanks but no thanks" kind ofway.


Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:39 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63722
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Cancelling? lol. At least have the balls to go through with it. Pussying out now because only BJ joined you. :funny:

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:51 pm
Profile
You must have big rats
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:28 pm
Posts: 92093
Location: Bonn, Germany
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Cynosure wrote:
For some reason I don't think having the main character be a chinese woman guarantees a hit in China. They could perfectly react negatively in a "that doesn't reflect our cuture, thanks but no thanks" kind ofway.


That's what usually happens with Japan, but China seems to swallow whatever Hollywood serves them if it somehow involves the Chinese.

_________________
The greatest thing on earth is to love and to be loved in return!

Image


Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63722
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Cynosure wrote:
For some reason I don't think having the main character be a chinese woman guarantees a hit in China. They could perfectly react negatively in a "that doesn't reflect our cuture, thanks but no thanks" kind ofway.


That's what usually happens with Japan, but China seems to swallow whatever Hollywood serves them if it somehow involves the Chinese.


That's no true. It's just that their population is so much larger. Even if a large part of the movie-going public are against a certain film, it matters little, because there are still millions of people to go and see it.

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:58 pm
Profile
KJ's Leading Pundit
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:45 pm
Posts: 61870
Location: Tonight... YOU!
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Algren wrote:
Cancelling? lol. At least have the balls to go through with it. Pussying out now because only BJ joined you. :funny:


I actually was more confident when BJ joined. But completely changing the story to revolve around a white male would be a death knell for this.

_________________
trixster wrote:
shut the fuck up zwackerm, you're out of your fucking element

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump


Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:08 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63722
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Algren wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Cynosure wrote:
For some reason I don't think having the main character be a chinese woman guarantees a hit in China. They could perfectly react negatively in a "that doesn't reflect our cuture, thanks but no thanks" kind ofway.


That's what usually happens with Japan, but China seems to swallow whatever Hollywood serves them if it somehow involves the Chinese.


That's no true. It's just that their population is so much larger. Even if a large part of the movie-going public are against a certain film, it matters little, because there are still millions of people to go and see it.


Sorry, I should have said "That's not entirely true" because of course there is truth to it. The Chinese do have a tendency to a) flock to big Hollywood films and b) not think politically. I just wanted to also add a population angle to it, because that fucking matters when it's as big as China's.

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:12 pm
Profile
now we know
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:31 pm
Posts: 63722
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Chippy wrote:
Algren wrote:
Cancelling? lol. At least have the balls to go through with it. Pussying out now because only BJ joined you. :funny:


I actually was more confident when BJ joined. But completely changing the story to revolve around a white male would be a death knell for this.

Is that what the Angry Asian's post is about? I clicked it but it didn't load.

_________________
#RAMBO5 ... 20th SEPTEMBER 2019


Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:13 pm
Profile
The Wall
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:50 am
Posts: 16163
Location: Croatia
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Basically Mulan is no hero in this story/script. She's just a pretty girl and there's a white dude that comes with his army, falls in love with her and saves the day because of it.


Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:26 pm
Posts: 14909
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
This script must be a joke. No way anyone in their right mind would make that film.

_________________
Image


Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:37 pm
Profile
Extraordinary
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:25 am
Posts: 15427
Location: San Diego
Post Re: Mulan Will Win 2018 (Worldwide): The Club
Teaser is out. It's fine.


Think this will be big though.


Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: R136a1 and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.