Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 The Lion King (live-action) over 750m domestic club 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Lion King (live-action) over 750m domestic club
Episode 9 will likely be attached to Endgame since we're likely getting a teaser tomorrow.

Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:18 pm
Forum General

Well so much for this being the number 1 film of the year. I mean there's always a chance it could still happen, but I don't see how it comes anywhere near Endgame even with a $200M OW. That being said I still think its going to fucking massive. The new trailer easily got the best reaction tonight.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 am
now we know

No chance in hell this gets a $200m OW. Best it gets is a Finding Dory run. It's not must-see OW material.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I don't think it'll make $450m. Hopefully I'm proven right.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

still clearing 750m with ease

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:29 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Best it gets is $450m. I'm not predicting anywhere near that, though. More like $330m. It won't be this huge record-breaking movie.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:33 am
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

Rev wrote:
Rev wrote:
I’m calling it already! The Lion King will take the 2019 box office crown. Domestic & Worldwide

Still stand by this. Disney will have set all-time box office record TWICE in a 3 month period.

Critics: these records are too big to be broken.
Disney: hold my beer

:lol:

#stillhappening
#hailDisney

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:20 am
Angels & Demons

Lion King's base floor is what Beauty and the Beast got.

175 million opening, 500 Total, 1.25 B WW

My personal guess is 225 opening, 650 Total, 1.75 B WW

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Homo Dperious

BK wrote:
I don't think it'll make $450m. Hopefully I'm proven right.

Official: 450m locked.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:15 pm
Profile ICQ
Hold the door!

Moviebuf wrote:

Beauty and the Beast opened before everyone was burnt out on these remakes, and was actually live action, thus more justified. It’s also poorly remembered today, and I think this could be a case of fool me once, shame on me. I definitely think it could theoretically open lower.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:39 pm
Angels & Demons

zwackerm wrote:
Moviebuf wrote:

Beauty and the Beast opened before everyone was burnt out on these remakes, and was actually live action, thus more justified. It’s also poorly remembered today, and I think this could be a case of fool me once, shame on me. I definitely think it could theoretically open lower.

The difference between the popularity of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast is night and day (with the former being FAR more popular).

Don't overthink this one, and a single semi-flop like Dumbo != burnt out on these remakes.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Moviebuf wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Moviebuf wrote:

The difference between the popularity of The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast is night and day (with the former being FAR more popular).

Don't overthink this one, and a single semi-flop like Dumbo != burnt out on these remakes.

I think Beauty and the Beast is more popular than you give it credit for. The fact the remake sold so many more tickets than the original shows it’s audience has grown over the years. The Lion King was far more popular when it came out but I think the gap has thinned since then. All I’ve heard from people is that it looks pointless and like a cash grab and I’ve yet to find someone who’s super excited about seeing it in theaters.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:46 pm
Angels & Demons

zwackerm wrote:
I think Beauty and the Beast is more popular than you give it credit for. The fact the remake sold so many more tickets than the original shows it’s audience has grown over the years. The Lion King was far more popular when it came out but I think the gap has thinned since then. All I’ve heard from people is that it looks pointless and like a cash grab and I’ve yet to find someone who’s super excited about seeing it in theaters.

To clarify a few things.

1) Of course Beauty and the Beast is popular. It just isn't as popular as The Lion King. The literal gold standard of Disney 2D animation.
2) Original Lion King more than DOUBLED Original Beauty and the Beast. I have no doubt Beauty and the Beast has grown in popularity, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think it approaches The Lion King.
3) Be care with anecdotal evidence...it means almost nothing. What you have heard personally can sometimes apply to the whole, but isn't evidence of it.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

BATB being a true animated to live action remake definitely had more room for expansion than TLK has - even if TLK is more beloved.

The BATB remake made 3.48 times the original.

Obviously TLK and Aladdin just wont have the same uplift factor. If they did, we'd be looking at domestic grosses of $1.1B and $754m respectively.

Something close to a 2.5 uplift is likely for TLK as this would give it ~780m which is insane in itself. However, I can see it going lower than that to a still amazing $600-650m.

There is an element of the audience that will indeed feel that this is a shot for shot remake that adds little to the original. And that will stop it from being No.1 of the year/decade.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:30 pm
Angels & Demons

MadGez wrote:
BATB being a true animated to live action remake definitely had more room for expansion than TLK has - even if TLK is more beloved.

Obviously TLK and Aladdin just wont have the same uplift factor. If they did, we'd be looking at domestic grosses of $1.1B and $754m respectively.

Something close to a 2.5 uplift is likely for TLK as this would give it ~780m which is insane in itself. However, I can see it going lower than that to a still amazing $600-650m.

There is an element of the audience that will indeed feel that this is a shot for shot remake that adds little to the original. And that will stop it from being No.1 of the year/decade.

I agree, it won't come anywhere close to the same uplift as Beauty and the Beast. It just doesn't have to in order to out gross BATB.

What will stop it from being #1 for the year is Endgame. Nothing is going to approach it this year (or maybe decade)

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Moviebuf wrote:
MadGez wrote:

I agree, it won't come anywhere close to the same uplift as Beauty and the Beast. It just doesn't have to in order to out gross BATB.

What will stop it from being #1 for the year is Endgame. Nothing is going to approach it this year (or maybe decade)

Certainly. There isn't much in the near future that will challenge Endgame.

TLK will dominate the second half of the summer so its gross will be immense. Also keen to see how the OS BO pans out.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:56 pm
Angels & Demons

MadGez wrote:
Moviebuf wrote:
MadGez wrote:

Certainly. There isn't much in the near future that will challenge Endgame.

TLK will dominate the second half of the summer so its gross will be immense. Also keen to see how the OS BO pans out.

The only thing I can see approaching Endgame is another super hero set up that takes years (ala Avengers v X-Men if done right).

Having a 22 movie lead up is/was unprecedented in movie history, I don't expect anything to accomplish the success (the fact that every single one of those 22 movies were profitable is incredible).

As for TLK, it is just a different animal. As mentioned before, it is the gold standard for Disney 2D animation. That needs to be taken into account.

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Anyone want to guess what the best selling film title sold in the US across all home video formats of all time is including (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray)?

The Lion King 47,500,000 copies sold

#2 is Finding Nemo at 40,600,000.

So much nostalgia here. Those 90's kids watched it many times.

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:27 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Just wait until the Beyonce trailer. You'll be changing your tune.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:54 am
Forum General

O wrote:
Anyone want to guess what the best selling film title sold in the US across all home video formats of all time is including (VHS, DVD, Blu-ray)?

I've come across some home video stats over the years but wondering what the source for these figures is so I can bookmark?

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Also both DTV sequels did over 300 million domestically. Comparing BATB to Lion King is like comparing Reservoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction. 750 is just something I can't get behind though. There is no doubt it has the potential, but I do think marketing isn't quite as good as it could of been, the last trailer did kill though in front of Endgame.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 pm
Extraordinary

Jiffy wrote:
O wrote:

I've come across some home video stats over the years but wondering what the source for these figures is so I can bookmark?

Just used Wikipedia!

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:19 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Lion King adjusts to $672 mil, Nemo adjusted to $487 in 2016, Dory made $486 in 2016.

So maybe $672 mil is the target then?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:26 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

That sounds reasonable actually.

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:28 am
The Kramer

What if Disney reveals that Scar kills Mufasa to get the soul stone for Thanos in an alternate timeline?

Sat May 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next