Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 KJ's Winter/Spring 2016 Box Office Contest - FINAL RANKING 
---------

Post KJ's Winter/Spring 2016 Box Office Contest - FINAL RANKING

KJ's Winter/Spring 2016 Box Office Contest

While it's going to be tough to think about anything box office-related that's not Star Wars over the next month, it's time to predict the next season! The big movie is obviously Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, but there are also a great number of other movies that will have interesting box office runs.

The season's contest covers movies released from January 8th, 2016 to April 29th, 2016. The player with the most points at the end of the game will receive a $25 gift card.

How the Points Work
Spoiler: show
Each player predicts the total domestic box office grosses of 25 movies listed further below. It's the ultimate test in box office predictions: guessing a movie's potential final gross before the season even starts with few, if any, tracking numbers. For each movie, the top 25% of players who predicted most accurately will get 3 points a piece.

Players can also score bonus points. The first is the Top 5. Each players will predict the winter/spring season's five biggest films. Each rank correctly predicted with score 1 point. An extra bonus of 15 points is given to any player who correctly predicts the Winter/Spring 2016 Top 5 in the correct order. (This has still never been done in the 4+ year history of this game.)

Finally, players predict the answers to ten box office questions. A correct answer scores 2 points.

Ties are broken by who has the lowest total difference between each of their movie predictions and the actual total. Backup movies are in place in case any of the 25 predicted movies change their release date. (Once a movie moves its release date outside our season window, the first backup movie listed comes into play.) Box office questions will only be voided if the movie with the release date change is specifically mentioned in the question, so be careful when crafting your answers.

Ready?
Fill out the form below and paste in this thread / PM it to me by January 7th, 2016 at 11:59 PM CST. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Predict the Following Films' Total Gross

The 5th Wave
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
Barbershop: The Next Cut
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
The Boss
The Boy
Deadpool
Dirty Grandpa
The Divergent Series: Allegiant
The Finest Hours
God's Not Dead 2
Gods of Egypt
Hail, Caesar!
How to Be Single
The Huntsman: Winter's War
The Jungle Book
Kung Fu Panda 3
London Has Fallen
Midnight Special
Mother's Day
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Ride Along 2
Zoolander 2
Zootopia

Backups
Ratchet & Clank
Triple 9

Predict the Top 5 Grossing Movies of Winter/Spring 2016

#1:
#2:
#3:
#4:
#5:

The 10 Box Office Questions

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book?
#2: Which comedy will gross more in total - The Boss, Deadpool, How to Be Single, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2?
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Not Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2?
#4: Which combination will gross more in total - the sum of 13 Hours and The 5th Wave or the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen?
#5: What horror film will gross more in total - Amityville: The Awakening, Before I Wake, The Boy, The Disappointments Room, The Forest, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Rings, or The Witch?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends?
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend?
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million?
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million?
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)?

NOTE on #10: If your movie has its release date moved out of the season window, the question will not be voided. Choose your movie carefully based on potential gross and likelihood of being released in this season's window.

Remember, the season's contest covers movies released from January 8th, 2016 to April 29th, 2016. The deadline for filling out the form is January 7th, 2016 at 11:59 PM CST.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:48 am
---------

Post Re: KJ's Winter/Spring 2016 Box Office Contest - Predict BAT
MGKC wrote:
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Next Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2?

To be clear on this one - I'm counting Barbershop 2: Back in Business as this movie's predecessor (not Beauty Shop).

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:45 pm
Pure Phase

Can you clarify question no. 7? Is it have or lose?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:10 pm
---------

David wrote:
Can you clarify question no. 7? Is it have or lose?

Good catch - it's "lose."

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:11 pm
Pure Phase

By the way, it is absurd how many horror films are scheduled during these months. A lot of them are long-delayed (the Amityville reboot, Before I Wake). And Paramount seems incredibly reluctant to ever...advertise Rings.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:15 pm
Speed Racer

The 5th Wave - 20m
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 40m
Barbershop: The Next Cut - 35m
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 380m
The Boss - 85m
The Boy - 15m
Deadpool - 180m
Dirty Grandpa - 40m
The Divergent Series: Allegiant - 100m
The Finest Hours - 25m
God's Not Dead 2 - 45m
Gods of Egypt - 20m
Hail, Caesar! - 55m
How to Be Single - 15m
The Huntsman: Winter's War - 75m
The Jungle Book - 175m
Kung Fu Panda 3 - 150m
London Has Fallen - 50m
Midnight Special - 30m
Mother's Day - 25m
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 50m
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 30m
Ride Along 2 - 70m
Zoolander 2 - 75m
Zootopia - 220m

Backups
Ratchet & Clank - 50m
Triple 9 - 30m

#1: Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
#2: Zootopia
#3: Deadpool
#4: The Jungle Book
#5: Kung Fu Panda 3

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Super: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book? Zootopia
#2: Which comedy will gross more in total - The Boss, Deadpool, How to Be Single, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Deadpool
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Next Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Kung Fu Panda 3
#4: Which combination will gross more in total - the sum of 13 Hours and The 5th Wave or the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen? Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen
#5: What horror film will gross more in total - Amityville: The Awakening, Before I Wake, The Boy, The Disappointments Room, The Forest, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Rings, or The Witch? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Zoolander 2
#7: What movie will have lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? 5th Wave
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 6
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 2
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

NOTE on #10: If your movie has its release date moved out of the season window, the question will not be voided. Choose your movie carefully based on potential gross and likelihood of being released in this season's window.

Remember, the season's contest covers movies released from January 8th, 2016 to April 29th, 2016. The deadline for filling out the form is January 7th, 2016 at 11:59 PM CST.

Last edited by Birdman on Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:22 pm
---------

David wrote:
By the way, it is absurd how many horror films are scheduled during these months. A lot of them are long-delayed (the Amityville reboot, Before I Wake). And Paramount seems incredibly reluctant to ever...advertise Rings.

Ya... I felt reluctant to include it in that box office question due to its chances of being delayed, but then again, it would feel weird without it in there.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:26 pm
Hold the door!

The 5th Wave- 25
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi- 55
Barbershop: The Next Cut- 65
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice- 375
The Boss- 95
The Boy- 45
Deadpool- 180
Dirty Grandpa- 70
The Divergent Series: Allegiant- 100
The Finest Hours- 57
God's Not Dead 2- 35
Gods of Egypt- 25
Hail, Caesar!- 60
How to Be Single- 105
The Huntsman: Winter's War- 90
The Jungle Book- 185
Kung Fu Panda 3- 155
London Has Fallen- 85
Midnight Special 35
Mother's Day- 45
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2- 80
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies- 55
Ride Along 2- 103
Zoolander 2- 70
Zootopia- 210

Backups
Ratchet & Clank
Triple 9

#3: The Jungle Book
#4: Deadpool

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Super: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book?
#2: Which comedy will gross more in total - The Boss, Deadpool, How to Be Single, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2?
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Next Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2?
#4: Which combination will gross more in total - the sum of 13 Hours and The 5th Wave or the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen?
#5: What horror film will gross more in total - Amityville: The Awakening, Before I Wake, The Boy, The Disappointments Room, The Forest, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Rings, or The Witch?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? How to Be Single
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? The 5th Wave
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 8
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Keanu

Last edited by zwackerm on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:47 pm
---------

$180 million for Deadpool?? Over $100 million would be amazing for it.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:01 pm
Hold the door!

MGKC wrote:
$180 million for Deadpool?? Over $100 million would be amazing for it.

Its X Men, it won't do less than Kingsman.
Unless it were horrible of course.

But I really just feel a breakout from it. I don't think a 50 OW is out of the question.

Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:55 pm
We had our time together

The 5th Wave - 30m
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 35m
Barbershop: The Next Cut - 40m
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 370m
The Boss - 120m
The Boy - 25m
Deadpool - 205m
Dirty Grandpa - 50m
The Divergent Series: Allegiant - 95m
The Finest Hours - 35m
God's Not Dead 2 - 30m
Gods of Egypt - 45m
Hail, Caesar! - 30m
How to Be Single - 20m
The Huntsman: Winter's War - 85m
The Jungle Book - 200m
Kung Fu Panda 3 - 190m
London Has Fallen - 65m
Midnight Special - 25m
Mother's Day - 65m
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 30m
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 30m
Ride Along 2 - 70m
Zoolander 2 - 90m
Zootopia - 140m

Backups
Ratchet & Clank - 45m
Triple 9 - 45m

#2: Deadpool
#4: Kung Fu Panda 3
#5: Zootopia

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Super: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book?
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends?
The Huntsman: Winter's War
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend?
The 5th Wave
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million?
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million?
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)?

Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

So unpredictable all these games. Hopefully I'm more on it this time around than this winter's horrific showing.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:16 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

5th Wave - $32m
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - $65m
Barbershop: The Next Cut - $62m
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - $449m
The Boss - $86m
The Boy - $43m
Dead pool - $146m
Dirty Grandpa - $68m
The Divergent Series: Allegiant $102m
The Finest Hours - $49m
God's Not Dead 2 - $33m
Gods of Egypt - $26m
Hail, Caesar! - $37m
How to Be Single - $93m
The Huntsman: Winter's War $89m
The Jungle Book $221m
Kung Fu Panda 3 - $143m
London Has Fallen - $58m
Midnight Special - $25m
Mother's Day - $50m
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 $86m
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - $29m
Ride Along 2 - $136m
Zoolander 2 - $107m
Zootopia - $286m

Backups
Ratchet & Clank - $1.8m
Triple 9 - $41m

#1: Batman v Superman

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Super: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book? Zootopia
#2: Which comedy will gross more in total - The Boss, Deadpool, How to Be Single, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Deadpool
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Next Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Panda
#4: Which combination will gross more in total - the sum of 13 Hours and The 5th Wave or the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen? 13 and 5th Wave
#5: What horror film will gross more in total - Amityville: The Awakening, Before I Wake, The Boy, The Disappointments Room, The Forest, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Rings, or The Witch? The Boy
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Zoolander
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? Gods of Egypt
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 7
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 3
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Keanu

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 am
now we know

MGKC wrote:
God's Next Dead 2

So, this is his third dead? Give God a break! :funny:

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:52 am
Profile WWW
---------

Algren wrote:
MGKC wrote:
God's Next Dead 2

So, this is his third dead? Give God a break! :funny:

Ha, nice catch.

Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:39 am
Extraordinary

The 5th Wave - 30
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 60
Barbershop: The Next Cut - 60
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 479
The Boss - 84
The Boy - 28
Deadpool - 160
Dirty Grandpa - 65
The Divergent Series: Allegiant - 95
The Finest Hours - 28
God's Not Dead 2 - 33
Gods of Egypt - 53
Hail, Caesar! - 67
How to Be Single - 90
The Huntsman: Winter's War - 100
The Jungle Book - 188
Kung Fu Panda 3 - 162
London Has Fallen - 70
Midnight Special - 20
Mother's Day - 66
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 70
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 40
Ride Along 2 - 100
Zoolander 2 - 115
Zootopia - 240

Backups
Ratchet & Clank - 14
Triple 9 - 25

#1: Batman v Superman
#4: Kung Fu Panda 3
#5: Deadpool

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Super: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book? Total gross of Zootopia
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Not Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Kung Fu Panda 3
#4: Which combination will gross more in total - the sum of 13 Hours and The 5th Wave or the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen? sum of Gods of Egypt and London has Fallen
#5: What horror film will gross more in total - Amityville: The Awakening, Before I Wake, The Boy, The Disappointments Room, The Forest, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Rings, or The Witch? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? Zoolander 2
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? 5th Wave
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 8
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:05 am
loyalfromlondon

The 5th Wave - 55
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - 70
Barbershop: The Next Cut - 45
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 425
The Boss - 80
The Boy - 20
Deadpool - 140
Dirty Grandpa - 35
The Divergent Series: Allegiant - 110
The Finest Hours - 50
God's Not Dead 2 - 40
Gods of Egypt - 25
Hail, Caesar! - 85
How to Be Single - 65
The Huntsman: Winter's War - 90
The Jungle Book - 175
Kung Fu Panda 3 - 125
London Has Fallen - 75
Midnight Special - 30
Mother's Day - 35
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - 45
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 55
Ride Along 2 - 105
Zoolander 2 - 95
Zootopia - 200

Backups
Ratchet & Clank - 35
Triple 9 - 45

#1: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Not Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2?
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 7

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:53 pm
---------

My wife has predicted in 2 of the past box office contests - I managed to convince her to make a video with me of us going through and making each of our predictions for this season's contest:

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The 5th Wave- $42 mil
13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi- $85 mil
Barbershop: The Next Cut- $60 mil
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice- $501 mil
The Boss- $92 mil
The Boy- $35 mil
Deadpool- $108 mil
Dirty Grandpa- $52 mil
The Divergent Series: Allegiant- $120 mil
The Finest Hours- $63 mil
God's Not Dead 2- $34 mil
Gods of Egypt- $41 mil
Hail, Caesar!- $53 mil
How to Be Single- $56 mil
The Huntsman: Winter's War- $121 mil
The Jungle Book- $130 mil
Kung Fu Panda 3- $143 mil
London Has Fallen- $95 mil
Midnight Special- $17 mil
Mother's Day- $76 mil
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2- $110 mil
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies- $38 mil
Ride Along 2- $140 mil
Zoolander 2- $41 mil
Zootopia- $130 mil

Backups
Ratchet & Clank- $41 mil
Triple 9- $33 mil

#1: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
#2: Kung Fu Panda 3
#3: Ride Along 2
#4: The Jungle Book
#5: Zootopia

#1: Which will gross more - the opening weekend of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, the total gross of Zootopia, or the total gross of The Jungle Book? Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
#2: Which comedy will gross more in total - The Boss, Deadpool, How to Be Single, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Ride Along 2
#3: Which sequel will gross the closest to its predecessor (%-wise) - Barbershop: The Next Cut, The Divergent Series: Allegiant, God's Not Dead 2, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Ride Along 2, or Zoolander 2? Ride Along 2
#4: Which combination will gross more in total - the sum of 13 Hours and The 5th Wave or the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen? the sum of Gods of Egypt and London Has Fallen
#5: What horror film will gross more in total - Amityville: The Awakening, Before I Wake, The Boy, The Disappointments Room, The Forest, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Rings, or The Witch? The Forest
#6: What will be the highest grossing film to not hit #1 on any of its weekends? London Has Fallen
#7: What movie will lose the largest number of theaters in its 3rd weekend? The Brothers Grimsby
#8: How many films will gross over $100 million? 11
#9: How many films will gross over $200 million? 1
#10: What will be the highest grossing film not predicted in the total gross section (including the backup films)? Fifty Shades of Black

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:06 pm
---------

Zootopia is going to easily double Kung Fu Panda 3's gross. ;)

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:16 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:20 pm
Pure Phase

I never knew MGKC was Edward Snowden.

Enjoyable video.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:34 pm
---------

David wrote:
I never knew MGKC was Edward Snowden.

Enjoyable video.

:funny: Don't tell the NSA.

Thanks!

Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:41 pm
Hold the door!

MGKC's wife looks like Jennifer Lee.

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:05 pm
---------

zwackerm wrote:
MGKC's wife looks like Jennifer Lee.

Had to Google this person and can vagely seem some resemblence. My bigger question is how well do you know the production crew of Frozen to have this comparison even come to your mind?

Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 157 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next