Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Netflix/VOD Thread 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: crouching tiger sequel out on Netflix & IMAX on same day
Isn't same cast and Ang lee directed, that was last I heard, should do decent. A random release for sure.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:10 am
now we know

These types of movies come out every year. It will fail in the US, but might do well in China. Donnie Yen is a draw here, somewhat. Although, overall, I just feel that nobody cares about this film.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:25 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Regal is refusing to show the film in an effort to combat VOD. I doubt many will see this in theaters anyways though.

Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:50 pm
Extraordinary

Thegun wrote:
Isn't same cast and Ang lee directed, that was last I heard, should do decent. A random release for sure.

Ang Lee isn't directing it, and only two cast members from the film in it. It seems like a direct to dvd thing anyway. I doubt it would have made that much if it was released just to theaters.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Ang Lee isn't directing it, and only two cast members from the film in it.
That's what he said. But he said it in 'Gunglish' so I admit it was difficult to comprehend. What's wrong with the English in this thread? Did the topic affect you to where you now have to type in Chinglish? Even Carr's response doesn't read well.

Ok, back to the film; on paper it seems like such a DTV release. It stars Michelle Yeoh, Donnie Yen, and Jason Scott Lee, and is directed by Yuen Wo-Ping (who has his own following in this genre) and nobody really wanted this film. The entire project just seems pointless from a Western angle. I can see Chinese audiences attending (but not in their droves) due to the "talent" on show, but that should also be short-lived.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:23 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Magnus wrote:
http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-sequel-netflix-weinstein-co-1201316645/

very interested to see how this plays out. Haven't had an exclusive Netflix on-demand release like this nor have a film do something even with VOD like this that was also released in IMAX.

I fear that the Netflix numbers are going to come out stronger than the IMAX numbers as this film is being dumped in late August. Plus, it's going to be hard to convince people to pay for a $16 ticket for a sequel to a film that came out 15 years go and isn't even in English.

Simultaneous releases like this have been discussed for years, ever since it became clear that streaming video would one day become very popular. There have been some smaller scale launches like this I believe but not for any major films. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:21 am
now we know

For most people, this follow-up to the 2000 fantasy epic will be Crouching Profits, Hidden Sequel.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... e-theater/

God this is stupid.

No, this isn't the future of movies. Movies will go away before this happens. It would be such a profit loss for movie studios to do this for every film. I could see smaller movie do this instead of releasing, but anything with a $50+ mil budget would never do this.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:07 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Theaters will need to stay in business through all 12 months and not just "depend" on the small percent of big budget movies to stay afloat. If smaller movies go this route, theaters will shut down.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Then we'll get a more spread out schedule for mid-high budget films. Sure, some theaters will shut down, but that's going to happen anyway.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Magnus wrote:

God this is stupid.

No, this isn't the future of movies. Movies will go away before this happens. It would be such a profit loss for movie studios to do this for every film. I could see smaller movie do this instead of releasing, but anything with a $50+ mil budget would never do this.

I've ready many stupid things on Grantland but that may top it.[/quote]
It may not be that stupid. We already seen how arcade centers, music stores, and video stores being trivialized and being shut down because of the convenience of technology

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:28 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

That's like saying concerts will stop because people are downloading music now.

No. Concerts won't stop. Because that's how the artists make their money. Concerts are still as popular as ever.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:45 pm

Magnus wrote:

Define smaller. Cause the top 75 films last year accounted for over 80% of the total gross. The rest 20% was shared among amost 800 films.

Still the total gross accounts mostly for the winter and summer season. The top 75 films also comprises of lower budget comedies (Lets be Cops), failed high budget movies (Pompeii), or generic thrillers that make Algren jizz (Non-Stop). Some of these films I could see either taking their risk to cut their losses by releasing it on-demand like Pompeii or that they would rather pocket in most of the profit rather than having theater owners take in 50% versus the lower fee set by the cable company.

Quote:
I'd argue if you get rid of 2/3 the films with theatrical release, you would lose revenue but it wouldn't be that drastic. In fact, it may help boost each individual film as they'll get more money.

Some cinemaplex have 25 screens. Are they all going to be showing the same 3 to 4 movies on the big screen? What happens with the dumping grounds of september, january and mid-august? Theater owners need to show something to stay in business every month.

Quote:
Last year for isntance, if you jsut released a 100 theatrical films, I think the overall BO still breaks $10.5B.

But the BO take has been the worse since 1988 if you take inflation into account. Even the big blockbusters have taken a hit if the biggest film of the year is making a tad over 300 million compared with 2012 when we have a film each summer making 350 each year since 2002. I think its more due to the popularity of netflix and the rise of cable tv shows that make today's movies look like crap. Why sit through the Noah battle when you get as good of a quality watching the Battle of Castle Black on tv?

Quote:
I think theater chains are right to refuse to play into this "same day" release strategy. A compromise to me would be that any film released in theaters should have to be in theaters for at least three weeks prior to VOD. Still allow VOD and Netflix to get a piece but still give theaters that exclusive first-look.

They would hurt themselves because film distributors will do the same boycott by refusing to release their movies on their chains. The film distributors could always depend on dvd sales, on-demand revenue, and selling the distribution rights to cable networks or netflix. The theater chains rely strictly on the movies.

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:09 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

No movie studio is going to make Avengers and release it to Netflix.

Movie theaters will always be needed.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:21 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I would be perfectly fine for small movies to be released theatrically/VOD/Netflix on the same day. Because those movies need more exposure to be successful. And I'd be happy to see many movies go away because too many movies are released nowadays.

Scale back.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Post Re: Netflix/VOD Thread - Adam Sandler to do 4 movies for Net
Go Team Netflix!

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:13 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

The only way for Netflix to make a dent in the movie business is to... Make their own movies. Become their own movie studio.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:19 pm
The Kramer

They also said Netflix wouldn't make a dent in live television ... yet it did anyways. It's not like Netflix will be getting Grown Ups 3 or anything though. It will likely be smaller budget passion projects that Sandler has thought up over the years, but isn't able to get made anymore. So it'll be more like HBO's original movies.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:57 pm
The Kramer

I'm referring to the people who don't think they need cable anymore. There are more and more every year. Shit if it wasn't for sports I wouldn't even have much use for it anymore.

And Breaking Bad was a cultural phenom that just took way too long to catch on, and also the perfect binge drama since the storyline never took any breaks. It was mutually beneficial to both AMC and Netflix.

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
. It will likely be smaller budget passion projects that Sandler has thought up over the years, but isn't able to get made anymore. So it'll be more like HBO's original movies.

Please don't lump original HBO movies with Sandler production films. Those are the opposite ends of each other

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:39 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Live TV viewing has been on a downward trend for many years before Netflix started streaming TV shows. If anything, Hulu affected TV more than Netflix.

Also, the same thing that happened with TV is (kinda) happening with movies. Oversaturation. There's just too much TV. And there are too many movies. Scale back and more movies can succeed and successful movies can be even more successful.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:51 pm
Extraordinary

Don't forget that Netflix has those Marvel series coming in the future and Handlers comedy series. Their in the business now of trying to produce content that they have the rights too since licensing is becoming very expensive. I think the plan is to hook someone new with whatever series or film and hopefully that person stays as a sub after they see the Sandler film or Crouching Tiger sequel. At this point I don't think Netflix is going anywhere. Would be nice if they could get HBO into their portfolio.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:37 am
Extraordinary

nghtvsn wrote:
Don't forget that Netflix has those Marvel series coming in the future and Handlers comedy series. Their in the business now of trying to produce content that they have the rights too since licensing is becoming very expensive. I think the plan is to hook someone new with whatever series or film and hopefully that person stays as a sub after they see the Sandler film or Crouching Tiger sequel. At this point I don't think Netflix is going anywhere. Would be nice if they could get HBO into their portfolio.

Won't happen, HBO would be more likely to let people pay for HBO Go.

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Quote:
Netflix will release “Beasts of No Nation” simultaneously in theaters and on its streaming service later this year.

The new media giant stunned Hollywood this week when it plunked down $12 million for worldwide rights to the drama about a child soldier in Africa. It boasts a top-shelf cast that includes Idris Elba and arrives courtesy of director Cary Fukunaga, the auteur behind “Sin Nombre” and the buzzy HBO series “True Detective.”

Netflix stresses that the film would debut in “select” theaters — an important caveat given that its distribution platform will mean some exhibitors won’t show the film. Most major theater chains refuse to screen films that do not honor a 90 day delay between their theatrical debut and their home entertainment premiere. Netflix is partnering with Imax and the Weinstein Company on a sequel to “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,” but most exhibitors are boycotting the film because it does not honor traditional release windows.

The company sounds like it has awards ambitions for the drama, so a theatrical run is essential in order for it to qualify for Oscars.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/netfl ... 201445241/

This seriously might be the biggest move by Netflix yet on handling film distribution. After achieving their stranglehold on the Emmys, they clearly wanna gun for the Oscars as well, and this if the film is high-quality they just might achieve it. It could be a big game changer. I'm excited to see how it unfolds.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I don't see this getting any Oscars. It will be tougher for Netflix with Oscars. I could see them ruling films made by them ineligible.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next