Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 334 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 The Expendables 3 Predictions 
You must have big rats

Post The Expendables 3 Predictions
It will obviously come, I suppose around 2014.

I think the good legs for the second film (which is going to finish with a multiplier better than the first film!) has shown that it was really well-received. It was already surprising that the first movie had such good legs, but for the sequel to get to a multiplier of 3 is just terrific.

I'm thinking a lot will depend on hpow they'll cast additionally for the third movie. While adding the likes of Steven Seagal, Wesley Snpes and even Nicholas Cage will please some fans, I really doubt it will add much in terms of realpulling power.

However if they can get someone like Vin Diesel, The Rock or Liam Neeson...then it could become the series' highest-grossing film.

Right now, I'm thinkign an opening around $35 million and a total around $90 million if they don't add any of the names right above.

But an Expendables film with The Rock, Liam Neeson and maybe even Clint Eastwood as they are planning... $120+ million total.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Post Re: The Expendables 3 Predictions
Don't see it getting a budget increase. I'm actual gonna predict that a few stars get killed off in a dramatic cold open. That way they can still misadvertise the movie. Why would the Rock or Liam Neeson do this? They can make hits on their own.

That being said, I'm also predicting the title will be The Expendables 3D and still hit your conservative prediction.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:33 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am seeing an increase from second and marginally becoming the highest grosser of the series. $110m total maybe. Though it has to be good as well cause I see an opening between 2nd and 1st movie.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:08 am
now we know

They must learn from the mistakes in TE2 and make a spectacular finale. If done right, higher than TE2 DOM, if not, lower.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Cage is on board.
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/sylvester-stallone-confirms-nicolas-cage-for-the-expendables-3-says-it-may-not-be-the-last-one-20121105?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Cage will provide like 0 help for its marketing IMO.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:30 am
now we know

Cage will be great, but Sly has said those rumours are untrue. But if Cage was on board, he's a big star, and can draw people to it. He's still a draw (in the right film).

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:54 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

What would be the right role? He is certainly not a draw anymore in action movies (there is a huge list to prove that)

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:58 am
now we know

The right role being National Secrets, or a movie where he can play well with the other big-named star. He'd be a blast in his Castor Troy character if he was a villain in TE3. People would come.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:02 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I highly doubt people will be excited to see Cage as a villian in TE3, they was almost no buzz when Van Damne was playing villain and in action world specially at this time Van Damne's name is greater than Nicholas Cage IMO.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:21 am
now we know

Cage is a huge star name. Of course his addition will make the third movie more appealing. The ensemble is something that makes TE3 appealing.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
Cage is a huge star name.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Season of the Witch
Drive Angry
Ghost Rider: Spirit of a Vengeance

Beg to differ that statement.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:55 pm
now we know

So he had a few misses. He's still headlining pictures and is known by everyone.

I see you conveniently left off the National Treasure franchise and Port of Call New Orleans where he was both great commercially and critically.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

65-70 Million if they don't get someone with actual pull, like The Rock. If not I definitely don't see it increasing over the second.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:02 pm
now we know

I kind of agree with you, Mike. However, I don't think it's just down to it needing a star with pull (although that would indeed help). I also feel that if it was made by a more competent director than Simon West, had some shocking elements to the story (death of an Expendable maybe), a real threat, and less jokes and more hardcore action, it would also increase over the second. The second one, while it's grossed more worldwide, I think has hurt the franchise somewhat. It's now a jokey series, a kind of wishy-washy popcorn movie, whereas the first was a balls to the wall action movie. I hope they revert back to that formula for the 3rd and Stallone directs.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I think having the right star will certainly help. Someone like The Rock would really increase interest. He did wonders for Fast Five and I think he certainly helped Journey 2. Every sequel should just get him :P.

Is that female Expendables movie actually going to happen I wonder? Now that I'd be interested in, but I'm sure it wouldn't do as well at the Box Office. Not unless they get someone like Angelina Jolie for the lead.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:33 pm
Superman: The Movie

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Algren wrote:
Cage is a huge star name.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Season of the Witch
Drive Angry
Ghost Rider: Spirit of a Vengeance

Beg to differ that statement.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Algren. People are tired of Cage's schtick of starring in purposefully awful movies, but I think they'd accept and love him in something like The Expendables 3. I think there is a fine line in terms of what kind of schlock people want to see and I think The Expendables 3 would be on the right side of that line.

But I do think they'll need another name if they want a substantial increase over the second film.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I don't know. Cage has become such a joke that I don't know if he can redeem himself. People used to love him, and now I only hear people trash talking about him. And I can't say I blame them. He has been in utter trash and been terrible in it. Though I'll admit I thought Drive Angry was a blast.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:10 am
Superman: The Movie

Magic Mike wrote:
I don't know. Cage has become such a joke that I don't know if he can redeem himself. People used to love him, and now I only hear trash talking about him. And I can't say I blame them. He has been in utter trash and been terrible in it. Though I'll admit I thought Drive Angry was a blast.

I don't think he can do it by himself in a starring role. I also don't think anyone would be dumb (or smart) enough to give him a serious starring role. I think he'd need to do it in a movie like this and I think that's more than possible. He showed he could do it in a movie like Kick-Ass, but it wasn't a large enough movie for enough people to take notice.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Jmart wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
I don't know. Cage has become such a joke that I don't know if he can redeem himself. People used to love him, and now I only hear trash talking about him. And I can't say I blame them. He has been in utter trash and been terrible in it. Though I'll admit I thought Drive Angry was a blast.

I don't think he can do it by himself in a starring role. I also don't think anyone would be dumb (or smart) enough to give him a serious starring role. I think he'd need to do it in a movie like this and I think that's more than possible. He showed he could do it in a movie like Kick-Ass, but it wasn't a large enough movie for enough people to take notice.

I think it should be in an indie drama. Something sure to garner acclaim. He is capable of giving a great performance. But there would have to be someone who believes in him enough to cast him in a great role. I'm sure someone still has faith in him.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:36 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I agree with Mike here. Cage will not recover from good performance out of a blockbuster which would give him like 20 minutes of screenplay. He has to do more serious roles and Expendables is not the series that you can gain fame being a supporting cast, Arnold got back because he was out of movie business and people wanted him back. Cage is still very present in movies, specially direct-to-DVD movies (Stolen being this awful was released in India, Malaysia and Singapore). Cage can be a draw but not enough to give TE3 a big boost (actually I think there will be no boost). Van Damne's association did noting for TE2 (I actually saw more focus on Arnold and Bruce than him) the same thing will happen to Cage's association with TE3.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:09 am
now we know

You are suggesting that Cage is on the same level of stardom as Van Damme?

That's ridiculous. Van Damme has been in DTV for about 11 years. Cage has had one movie gone to DTV. He's a huge star still, and his inclusion wil obviously give TE3 a more recent A-lister than has been in TE1 and TE2.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:25 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have already provided you my reasons why Cage is on a decline. Declining star IMO is worse than a star in shadows building some fanbase.

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:34 pm
now we know

Just thought I'd share this awesome poster fot TE2:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Jackie Chan appears to be linked to the third movie.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98159

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 334 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next