Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Friday Numbers - IM RICH BIATCH 
The Incredible Hulk

Post Re: Friday Numbers - IM RICH BIATCH
Proud Ryu wrote:
m051293 wrote:
It would have to hold worse than DH2 over the weekend to fall below 148m. I just have a hard time seeing that happen

But in terms of IM it had a 1.9.

Hunger will beat that almost certainly but it needs a 2.2 to reach 150 - extremely tall order given the level of midnights.

You must look at the IM MINUS midnights. Comparing the IM of a film that did 43.5M from midnights with a film that did 19.7M midnights makes no sense.

The IM for the Potter movies steadily decreased. However, when midnight is taken out, the IM's for 7 of the 8 (HP1 excluded, HP5 and HP6 approximated) are all within the same range. DH1 was 2.68 from non-midnight Friday, DH2 was 2.64, GOF was 2.82, POA was 2.67, COS 2.98.

Same thing holds for Twilight films. New Moon had a non midnight IM of 2.51, BD1 was 2.61, Twilight was 2.17.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:23 pm
Deshi Basara

Jon wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
There were plenty of sub-2m 5th place finishers, but all 1994 and before.

Oh definitely, but what I meant was that when you consider the amount of ticket sold by the #5 movie for the weekend (Which will probably be less than 250,000), it might be the lowest on record. Once you go past '94 you're looking at a weekend gross close to $1 million to go that low.

You are definitely right - this weekend will claim the worst selling #5 in tickets for which data is available.

This is actually an interesting anomaly because oddly enough, the worst 10 ticket sellers in 5th place were all from the 1980's.

The worst was probably 5/16/86, when Fire With Fire did 1.1m, or 10/14/88, when Crossing Delancy did 1.2m

The worst from the modern dvd era before this weekend is probably either 12/14/07, when No Country did 2.8m, or 10/1/04, when Mr. 3000 did 2.5.

You want to know what else is crazy - the previous record for worst March 5th place ticket sales was last weekend!

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:51 pm
We had our time together

This is just amazing.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
I heet the canadian!

Proud Ryu wrote:
You want to know what else is crazy - the previous record for worst March 5th place ticket sales was last weekend!
Studios just gave Hunger Games a free path to slaughter. Makes you wonder why the big hitters all passed on it.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:56 pm
The Kramer

I'm wondering that too. This was an obvious mega franchise. Why were the big studios scared away?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:58 pm
Deshi Basara

m051293 wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
m051293 wrote:
It would have to hold worse than DH2 over the weekend to fall below 148m. I just have a hard time seeing that happen

But in terms of IM it had a 1.9.

Hunger will beat that almost certainly but it needs a 2.2 to reach 150 - extremely tall order given the level of midnights.

You must look at the IM MINUS midnights. Comparing the IM of a film that did 43.5M from midnights with a film that did 19.7M midnights makes no sense.

The IM for the Potter movies steadily decreased. However, when midnight is taken out, the IM's for 7 of the 8 (HP1 excluded, HP5 and HP6 approximated) are all within the same range. DH1 was 2.68 from non-midnight Friday, DH2 was 2.64, GOF was 2.82, POA was 2.67, COS 2.98.

Same thing holds for Twilight films. New Moon had a non midnight IM of 2.51, BD1 was 2.61, Twilight was 2.17.

Because with a rougher Sunday than most of these, 2.5 seems like it would be awfully good, and that gives 141. Hopefully I'm lowballing it though. Maybe a 2.6 for 146, best case. Don't see why it would go higher than that.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:11 pm
Cream of the Crop

Because they were stupid. They failed with Twilight and they failed with Hunger Games.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:12 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Biggestgeekever wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
Studios just gave Hunger Games a free path to slaughter. Makes you wonder why the big hitters all passed on it.

Because Lionsgate bought it all the way back in March 2009, before the second book was even out. Though they didn't really pass on it:

Quote:
Released last year, the book had gained modest popularity until King and "Twilight" author Stephenie Meyer publicly praised it, propelling it onto best-seller lists.

Producer Nina Jacobson grabbed film rights to the book for her independent Color Force banner in a highly competitive environment two weeks ago.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Proud Ryu wrote:
m051293 wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
Let's not get carried away with the comparisons - ultra big midnights leads to ultra big Friday means small IM no matter how you slice it.

I like the TDK comparison I posted earlier better. Even if its a bit lower than that, 150-155 seems pretty reasonable IMO

TDK had a sick Sunday hold, which was helped by summer and the older male audience. Plus HG is going from a heavy Spring Break week to a very light one.

I'm thinking 2.2 IM would be about the best it can possibly do. If it hits even 140 that should be considered phenomenal.

Heavy Spring Break week? Have you seen the last week's dailies? They were terrible.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:49 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The crappy theater town has a sellout.

Hunger game got 3 last night...

Lets see.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

BK wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
m051293 wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
Let's not get carried away with the comparisons - ultra big midnights leads to ultra big Friday means small IM no matter how you slice it.

I like the TDK comparison I posted earlier better. Even if its a bit lower than that, 150-155 seems pretty reasonable IMO

TDK had a sick Sunday hold, which was helped by summer and the older male audience. Plus HG is going from a heavy Spring Break week to a very light one.

I'm thinking 2.2 IM would be about the best it can possibly do. If it hits even 140 that should be considered phenomenal.

Heavy Spring Break week? Have you seen the last week's dailies? They were terrible.

It is in fact a heavy spring break week - just that the week before was heavier, leading to the worse-looking dailies. And the Sunday 1 day holds won't look as good as last week's as that was St. Pat's recovery.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:30 pm
Forum General

Impressive thing that in terms of tickets sold this is going to be the 6th or 7th highest weekend in history...

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weeken ... 012&p=.htm

Also ROTS got a 130 million opening after a 61 million adjusted Thursday! Something tells me if it opened on Friday it likely would have been around TDK adjusted...

May 2007 was a crazy month...

172 million, 138 million and 130 million openers in less than 4 weeks.
they all sucked though..

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Proud Ryu wrote:
BK wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:
m051293 wrote:
Proud Ryu wrote:

It is in fact a heavy spring break week - just that the week before was heavier, leading to the worse-looking dailies. And the Sunday 1 day holds won't look as good as last week's as that was St. Pat's recovery.

They looked pretty normal to me outside of 21 Jump Street.

The holdovers never recovered from SPD. The drops, look at them, seems to be no Spring Break effect at all.

Funny how these two weekends were supposed to help holdovers and one had SPD kill everything and the next Hunger Games swamped them all. Kinda fucking lame.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

I had Spring break two weeks ago (March 5-11), as did 4 other VA colleges off the top of my head. 3 more had it week after (12-18)

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 pm
Devil's Advocate

Prediction: The Saturday and Sunday numbers for the Hunger Games are insane and attract the Mother of God, etc. gifs and we will be talking about TDK's total very very soon

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:36 pm
Romosexual!

Shack wrote:
Prediction: The Saturday and Sunday numbers for the Hunger Games are insane and attract the Mother of God, etc. gifs and we will be talking about TDK's total very very soon

Aaaawww ya, Fo sho!!!!!

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:25 pm
Homo Dperious

As to it not being a proven franchise, it really was. There are not many opportunities like this for franchise starters. The likes of Pirates, Transformers, and Shrek don't have a fanbase at first, and there are only so many huge properties from other mediums. So, when there clearly is one like this there are few comparisons.

Still, that doesn't take away it being the most impressive opening since at least Spider-man.

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:30 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3