Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 MI4 vs SH2 INTL 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post MI4 vs SH2 INTL
I thought it would be interesting to see which one does better in the end as both of these are rolling out closely to each other.

There hasn't been a satisfying action movie for quite sometime and given the reviews and anticipation these two could very well be the MUST SEE movies of December and holidays for general audience.

Here is more of the historical data of these movies in OS and WW totals

SHERLOCK HOLMES
1. Sherlock Holmes : OS - $315m and WW - $524m

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
1. Mission Impossible : OS - $276.7m and WW - $457.7m
2. Mission Impossible 2 : OS - $331m and WW - $546.4m
3. Mission Impossible 3 : OS - $263.8m and WW - $397.9m

Right now, Sherlock Holmes has bit of an edge right now because it is rolling out the later of the two and will be fresher of the two during holiday season. Plus the original for SH2 did more than the previous entry of MI (MI3) series and was very close to MI2, the highest entry the series (unadjusted).

But given the WOM over MI4 and my own preference I think MI4 will beat SH2 in the end. I actually think MI4 has a good shot to take over MI2 (unadjusted) as the biggest OS total of the series.

Which one do you think will gross more ?

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:50 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: MI4 vs SH2 INTL
Quote:
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, the fourth installment of the spy franchise debuted to an estimated $68.2 million in 36 markets representing approximately 70 percent of the marketplace.

Quote:
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows debuted to $14.65 million in just six markets

This is when adding to the fact that MI4 beat SH2 in HK, the only market that has both of these releasing at the same date ;)

I am not sure if SG was considered in those 6 markets because we had this whole weekend of SH2 previews (ofcourse all of these were completely filled even the night shows), this would lead to a lower-than-expected opening next weekend.

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 pm
You must have big rats

M:I-4

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Quote:
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol, the fourth installment of the spy franchise debuted to an estimated $68.2 million in 36 markets representing approximately 70 percent of the marketplace.

Quote:
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows debuted to $14.65 million in just six markets

This is when adding to the fact that MI4 beat SH2 in HK, the only market that has both of these releasing at the same date ;)

I am not sure if SG was considered in those 6 markets because we had this whole weekend of SH2 previews (ofcourse all of these were completely filled even the night shows), this would lead to a lower-than-expected opening next weekend.

I don't think they consider previews unless if it's something significant like a No. 1 ranking or more than 1m in previews. THR confirms this:

Quote:
Opening offshore on a modified basis – in the U.K., Italy, The Netherlands, Hong Kong, Sweden and Turkey – Warner Bros.’ Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows registered $14.65 million from 2,113 situations. It ranks third on the weekend.

They'll just roll it all into one big weekend gross so Sherlock Holmes will open #1 in Singapore next week.

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:28 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah that makes sense, though the previews here are very wide for these kind of movies its like having the movie released over the weekend and not playing over weekdays only, its kinda weird way but oh well never-mind me.

SH was very well liked in SG and I can see that the anticipation is huge for the sequel. MI4 did not open as big but I presume it will still be bigger than SH2's OW excluding previews.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:33 am
Angels & Demons

Agreed.

MI4 is getting the best reviews of any film that's come out this year, whereas SH2's tepid at best. While overseas gross doesn't always reflect quality, I have a strong feeling that the market will be clamoring for a new installment of the Impossible franchise.

The Dark Knight Trilogy: The greatest story ever associated with the comic book medium.

Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Mission Impossible cracks $100m in OS total in just 8 days of play.

Sherlock Holmes will face a tough competition when it releases this weekend. This seems to be a similar case of this year's Fast Five and Thor and we all know Fast Five won that battle, let's see if Sherlock can out open MI4.

Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:19 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Quote:
The amazing international run of Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol continues, as the Tom Cruise film earned $25.8M from 5,924 locations in 64 markets to lead the global box office for yet another week.

With the strong showing, the Paramount film officially crossed the $400 million mark, with its international cume now standing at an outstanding $422.3M.

Boosting the film’s performance this week was a No. 1 bow in Finland, where it took in $491K from 86 screens. In China, the film impressively improved in its second frame, taking it $19.8M from 3,000 venues, which was a 46% increase over its two-day opening.

Quote:
Warner Bros.’ Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows earned $9.3M from 5,515 screens in 56 markets, which took its overseas total to $311M. At this point, the sequel is tracking 16% ahead of the first installment, whose lifetime gross is $315M. Japan is the final major market to open.

If those numbers hold true then Mission Impossible becomes 4th biggest International movie of 2011 beating Twilight and Smurfs. It would move up above in the yearly rankings to #6 passing Fast Five. Next up is KFP2 which was $665.7m

Sherlock is also doing great as well and should cross the original sometime this week and with Japan yet to open things are looking really good, though it is still not assured that it will make $400m OS.

EDIT: MI4 became the 5th biggest title OS behind DH2, Pirates 4, TF3 and KFP2.

Last edited by Jack Sparrow on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:35 pm
You must have big rats

Both are so huge overseas...wow!

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah with those initial numbers I thought Sherlock will make close to original's OS total but now it looks like it would surpass it quite easily. MI4 is just a beast, out-grossing BD1 which in itself over-performed in OS markets (compared to the last Eclipse) is just amazing and there is still a chance that it will make $500m OS and cross KFP2 in OS total.

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]