Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fast Five: Over or under Fast & Furious? 

Will Fast Five top Fast & Furious?
Yes - By over 50 million worldwide 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Yes - But only barely 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
No - But just under 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
No - It will decrease over 50 million worldwide 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Fast Five: Over or under Fast & Furious? 
Where will you be?

Post Fast Five: Over or under Fast & Furious?
Currently Universal's strongest franchise, the last entry opened to 70.95 million on the way to 155 million domestic, 353 million worldwide. So, can this new entry match that number?

I don't think so. First of all, it will probably need to open at least as high as the previous entry to make the same amount. Fast & Furious opened in the first week of April and had very little competition for the next month, where it made the vast majority of it's haul. Fast Five has Thor opening the second week, and plenty of burly summer competition on it's ass. And in this depressed box office climate (sorry Libs, but in the decade I've been following the box office I can't remember ever having this many weekends down from the previous year) a 70.9 opening weekend would be almost double what any movie has opened to thus far.

Sadly, The Rock does not seem like he'll help out the box office much. The best way Universal could use him would be to emphasize him vs. fellow baldie Vin Diesel. Some of the TV spots seem to play this rivalry up, but I don't know if it's as exciting as the reunion of the original cast. Then again, I don't know why anyone would get excited about Paul Walker, so maybe I'm wrong.

What the movie has in it's favor is appeal to underserved minorities; by far the most action-packed trailers of any movie that will be released this year to date; and a South American location that will surely boost international sales. If Fast Five doesn't make as much domestically, I don't see it declining much internationally.

So as total guesswork, I'm going with 68/148
Worldwide: 333 million

But I would love to have this movie prove me wrong and open to 80 million!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:31 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Fast Five: Over or under Fast & Furious?
I see an $85 m opening weekend for this. The last film managed to recover from FATF3 and become the biggest film in the franchise unadjusted. It was also fairly well received. Thor doesn't hurt this as much as FATF hurts Thor.

Total wise it will be close to $150-160 m or so. Internationally it could approach $400 m perhaps?

Last edited by O on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:03 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Under for sure, but it will be close. I am thinking the suppressed trend of OW will continue till late May

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:19 pm
Extraordinary

I can't agree with the argument of suppressed openings hurting FATF5. FAFT4 opened after a March that saw Watchmen, Witch Mountain, Monsters Vs Aliens, I Love You Man, Duplicity all see suppressed opening weekends.

FATF has an audience that could potentially give the franchise a $50 m + opening weekend even after Labor Day.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The Rock has had a strong prescence on Monday Night Raw for the last couple of weeks and is also suppose to be the guest host at Wrestlemania. I know this might sound like it has nothing to do with Fast Five, but I can easily see this movie picking up big time with Wrestling fans and then it could pull in an audience it never tapped into before. This type of appeal could deffentially give it a HUGE boost.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am predicting 65m-70m just not 70.9m, as I said this will be close but won't reach the mark. I agree that the last one was well received but I see a decrease in admissions (just a little bit though not hugely).

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:40 pm
Forum General

I'm suprised nobody has brought up the IMAX factor yet. Eventhough it probably would have been bigger in 3D I appreciate Universal not doing it. I'm really getting sick of 3D and IMAX imo is sometimes deffenitally more enjoyable. It's going to be interesting seeing how it does since this is the first film to get that kind of release in the series and I bet some of the hardcore fans will want to see it in that format.

Last edited by Dil on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:52 pm
Where will you be?

I think plenty of hardcore fans of the series could give a shit less about IMAX... But then again I've never lived in a city with a true IMAX screen. It doesn't seem to have helped the last couple movies to be released on those screens though.

Now, Rock vs. Vin Diesel I could see helping the film. It ain't Schwartzennager vs. Stallone, but it's about as close as we'll get in this day and age.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:03 pm
Forum General

Now, Rock vs. Vin Diesel I could see helping the film. It ain't Schwartzennager vs. Stallone, but it's about as close as we'll get in this day and age.

That's pretty much the only reason I want to see it. Even some of the naysayers I know who don't like this series at all will see it just to see Vin and Rock throw down. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if it turns out being the best thing about the entire movie.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:23 pm
College Boy Z

I think there's a lot of advantages this has over Fast & Furious. Bringing literally everyone back for this film is really cool, adding The Rock (and having him go head to head with Vin Diesel, which is super sweet), awesome trailer, etc. I think it'll open to at least $80m.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:36 pm

wrongturn687 wrote:

That's pretty much the only reason I want to see it. Even some of the naysayers I know who don't like this series at all will see it just to see Vin and Rock throw down. I honestly wouldn't be suprised if it turns out being the best thing about the entire movie.

Of all the reasons I have for not getting anywhere near this movie that woudl probably be the most prominent. The fact that either of these "actors" have become superstars is a glowing testament to how fucked up our society is, and no, I don't think I'm being melodramatic or hyperbolic.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Veteran

Michael A wrote:
wrongturn687 wrote:

Of all the reasons I have for not getting anywhere near this movie that woudl probably be the most prominent. The fact that either of these "actors" have become superstars is a glowing testament to how fucked up our society is, and no, I don't think I'm being melodramatic or hyperbolic.

You're a huge dumb ass.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:19 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

My house may appear in the film if the scene that was shot in my neighborhood was not cut, thats the only reason im watching it, lol.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Over.

Rock IS going to boost this a lot, and marketing is better than FF4.

I had zero interest in FF4, but I really want to see this. The non-CGI action scenes look amazing.

Also, early test screening reviews have been highly positive, claiming it's either the best of the series, or the best since the 1st movie.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:56 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah probably just over thanks to a bigger OW ($80m-ish).

I for one want to see this with friends.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:03 am
Killing With Kindness

80m+ opening wknd, trailers are the best since the first, rock vs diesel = the shit, and the film looks better than the last 3 easily. I expect an explosive opening wknd and the film will easily top the 4th WW.

The film will make thor its bitch. Summer starts on the last wk of April this year.

I'm their at midnight fo sho.

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Fast Five will actually save the early part of the summer as Thor will come short of IM3 by quite some margin.

BTW - is Fast Five the official title? Yesterday I saw a poster here for "Fast and the Furious 5"

Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 pm
Where will you be?

Michael A wrote:
wrongturn687 wrote:

FUCK THIS POST.
What makes Vin Diesel any worse than any other actor? He became an action star because he was so charismatic in Boiler Room and Pitch Black. His death in Saving Private Ryan is one of the most poignant in a film full of heavy punches. And he has an absolutely great voice. If it weren't for long-delayed shitty films like A Man Apart and Knockaround Guys getting let loose after xXx, he may have actually become the "superstar" you claim he is. Plus, he's used social media like Facebook to very good effect.
And while I used to laugh at a cast including "The Rock" as much as anyone else, he's consistently shown way more charm and comic timing than John Cena or any other wrestler-turned-actor I can think of. The Rundown was one of the most fun action movies of the past decade. Granted, I don't think he has a very good agent, and it may have been premature for Schwartzennager to pass the torch to him, but he's a charming actor and as far as I know has never displayed any signs of being anything less than a decent human being.

But please, tell us why you hate these two. What makes their casting indicative of how fucked up society is? There were action stars long before these two, they just tended to be a little bit whiter. But I don't think that's why you'd talk some stupid shit like this. It's probably just another fail attempt on your futile mission to be Snobby Douchebag Number One. :nutso:

Flame off.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:15 am
Where will you be?

MadGez wrote:
Fast Five will actually save the early part of the summer as Thor will come short of IM3 by quite some margin.

BTW - is Fast Five the official title? Yesterday I saw a poster here for "Fast and the Furious 5"

On IMPAwards there are posters from outside the United States calling it Fast and Furious Five and even Fast and Furious 5 - Rio Heist. Reminds me of Sony wisely renaming Battle: LA to "World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles."

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:19 am
Gamaur's sex slave

neo_wolf wrote:
My house may appear in the film if the scene that was shot in my neighborhood was not cut, thats the only reason im watching it, lol.

Before knowing neo_wolf's house may be in this, I thought $70m OW, now I think it will be $80m+.

Now seriously, I think this will be the biggest film of the franchise. Wouldn't be surprised to see it gross $200m.

MovieDude wrote:
Michael A wrote:
wrongturn687 wrote:

FUCK THIS POST.
What makes Vin Diesel any worse than any other actor? He became an action star because he was so charismatic in Boiler Room and Pitch Black. His death in Saving Private Ryan is one of the most poignant in a film full of heavy punches. And he has an absolutely great voice. If it weren't for long-delayed shitty films like A Man Apart and Knockaround Guys getting let loose after xXx, he may have actually become the "superstar" you claim he is. Plus, he's used social media like Facebook to very good effect.
And while I used to laugh at a cast including "The Rock" as much as anyone else, he's consistently shown way more charm and comic timing than John Cena or any other wrestler-turned-actor I can think of. The Rundown was one of the most fun action movies of the past decade. Granted, I don't think he has a very good agent, and it may have been premature for Schwartzennager to pass the torch to him, but he's a charming actor and as far as I know has never displayed any signs of being anything less than a decent human being.

But please, tell us why you hate these two. What makes their casting indicative of how fucked up society is? There were action stars long before these two, they just tended to be a little bit whiter. But I don't think that's why you'd talk some stupid shit like this. It's probably just another fail attempt on your futile mission to be Snobby Douchebag Number One. :nutso:

Flame off.

Completely agree with moviedude's post.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm
Pure Phase

MovieDude lost his cool, and the result is pure gold.

Although, let's face it, Jason Statham is the real new king of action. ;)

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:07 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

MovieDude wrote:
MadGez wrote:

On IMPAwards there are posters from outside the United States calling it Fast and Furious Five and even Fast and Furious 5 - Rio Heist. Reminds me of Sony wisely renaming Battle: LA to "World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles."

Yes, the one I saw was "Fast and Furious 5" (I wrongly put in "the"). And agree with Battle LA - changing to World Invasion: Battle LA overseas, though here we had both posters but it seemed Battle LA was the more popular title.

Interestingly, Fast 5 is set in Rio, where initially the sequel to The Italian Job was always supposed to be set (The Brazillian Job) but that has been shelved for so long that I guess the FF franchise stole its thunder. I doubt we'll be seeing an Italian job sequel set in Brazil anymore (or for a while anyway).

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:18 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I thought the sequel to the Italian job turned into Ocean's 12

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:26 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

MovieDude wrote:
Michael A wrote:
wrongturn687 wrote:

FUCK THIS POST.

Flame off.

Maybe because they are big and muscular and dare I say 'popular' among the masses.

Agree with your post. Both can act and Vin in particular is far from "brawn and no brains" as he has written screenplays while The Rock has cleverly built himself up into an all round star.

Last edited by MadGez on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:30 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magnus wrote:
That Italian Job sequel is never hapening Gez. Which is a shame cause I really enjoyed the film, even though it wasn't even close to the original.

Agree, its been rumoured since 2005 but will just not happen.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next