Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $310.3 million 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $210 mil
Sequel is out of question both for A-Team as well as Narnia. It would definitely go down.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:57 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Almost 85-90m with theatrical run including OS. There is no way it was a loss with DVD sales. It is definitely not a money maker for them but it should definitely break even in the end for them

With supposedly 155 million budget and like 70-100 for marketing that might be not enough. DVD sales are poor all over world. It's not like five or six years ago when every such movie could make another 100 mln in US only. The only reason Fox made 3rd Narnia is that they tried to make it with 100 million budget. They failed here. Someday it might be even but there is no reason to believe that another Narnia gross more especially without Pevensie characters. It made so much only thanks to 3-d surcharge, poor winter movies and some growing markets like Russia, Southern Asia and Latin America.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:19 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

^Disagree. We were never talking about Narnia here even though the thread says so.
Plus you already added marketing.
Let's say 100 million budget (and this is with tax breaks) and conservatively 50-70 million for marketing expenses
One of the biggest reasons of A-Team failure was lack of marketing so I guess that should be enough.

Narnia bombed domestically but it will definitely be making money for Fox even if the OS takings are about 40% or so. It is heading for a 350m-370m WW total in its theatrical run on a 155m budget. With DVD sales to come ahead. There is no doubt the sequel will fail and Narnia 3 can be considered an overall disappointment.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:44 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Mr. R wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Mr. R wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Fox is very smart with their investments.

Like with Gulliver.

What's your point? Every studio has a few misfires, Except Paramount, pretty flawless year for them. Gulliver is having pretty good overseas numbers, so it can still break even as well.

WB had Edge of Darkness, Legend of the Owls, Jonah Hex, and Hereafter,
Disney had Tangled (Needs 500 WW to break even) Prince of Persia, and Tron still needs quite a bit to break even as well.
Sony had How Do you Know and the Tourist
Universal I need not mention

I'm not arguing with village idiots and Fox fanboys. Strangely enough, you happen to be both.

Ha, great comeback!

Your lack of business knowledge and simple mathmatics is laughable. I'm not even a fan of Fox films. I don't think I saw a single one of their films in theaters this year outside of Predators. I'm arguing the business side, it has nothing to do with my opinion on a company. WTH is even a Fox fanboy. Who would be stupid enough to only follow a single film studio?

I've worked in Production offices with producers for both television and film, in front and behind of the camera. I've seen the finance side of film and documentaries, granted on a small scale. But there are so many sources of income from a single film, that most people don't even know about, especially on here. And even your rudimentary math skills pointed out the A-team will eventually turn a profit, which is the only thing I've tried show you the whole time. So I'm glad you took something subliminally out of this. :thumbsup:

I apologize if I was coming off that the A-team disappointing is still a big win for Fox. It certainly isn't, they were hoping for a huge start of a franchise. The point was that most Fox films have been clear successes this year, that their few films that did disappoint, still might do ok in the end and did not give them "one of their worst years ever" at all. It just looks bad because of last year.

Next year on the other hand, their schedule looks like absolute shit. It almost looks like they aren't releasing a single high profile film even in the summer, unless the new Planet of the Apes is filming and I don't know about it. Is it?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Is Franco still in it? I think thats the last news I ever heard on it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Magnus wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Is Franco still in it? I think thats the last news I ever heard on it.

Yep. Andy Serkis is doing CGI work as Ceaser.

It probably won't be a hit. Too much competition, not a drawable enough star, and quite frankly, not many care about the franchise.

apparently it's budget is only 90 million though. Completely CGI apes might be tough at that price, but I think Overseas will be pretty good. At least its a different story. It'll all depend on marketing how well it does here.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

Apparently its more about the beginning of Apes. So outside of the revolution scenes, it'll be more basic sets. Kind of ridiculous that Burton's was over 100 million 10 years ago.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Magnus wrote:
Thegun wrote:
Apparently its more about the beginning of Apes. So outside of the revolution scenes, it'll be more basic sets. Kind of ridiculous that Burton's was over 100 million 10 years ago.

Apparently, the original script had the budget at 200m :shock:

And Schwarzenegger and Roddy McDowell taking place in a Renaissance version of Apeland. Would have been ridiculous!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm
Cream of the Crop

The village idiots used to scream at pigeons. Now they can scream at people. Thanks Internet. And I was wondering why I have him on ignore list... now I know. Thegun, I have no doubts that with a bunch of village idiots like yourself, you can make movies, just as a thousand chimps with typewriters can write a Shakespeare's play (hey, have you noticed my subtle reference to Planet of Apes?).
Is that you there, Uwe, my love???

Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:46 pm
You must have big rats

Okay, enough with the off-topic conversations on how badly The A-Team bombed (it did).

Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $213.3 milli
Surprised that BOM updated its OS numbers from Monday. Anyways good number for a month old movie. It also crossed 300m WW mark. Should get another 12m from Domestic run and would most certainly reach 350m.

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:58 pm

Mr. R wrote:
The village idiots used to scream at pigeons. Now they can scream at people. Thanks Internet. And I was wondering why I have him on ignore list... now I know. Thegun, I have no doubts that with a bunch of village idiots like yourself, you can make movies, just as a thousand chimps with typewriters can write a Shakespeare's play (hey, have you noticed my subtle reference to Planet of Apes?).
Is that you there, Uwe, my love???

It took you that long to come up with that???? Ok then. Apparently I screamed at you and made you feel bad :tears: I'm very sorry to work you up so much. The chimps reference is not funny, clever, or even plausible. So an all around FAIL. You should really just stop talking now. It's been a day already, and I'm bored with proving you wrong in a Narnia thread of all places. You learned nothing, your comebacks are really Amateur, and your wrong opinion won't change. Move onto to other prospects you might have a chance at, like learning to tie your shoes, or having sex in the next ten years.

And no Lector A-team didn't bomb. Underperforming is more like it. How do you know bombed. It cost more than A-team and will barely make a 6th of what it made, and certainly wont break even.

I'm ready to talk about only Narnia if everyone else is. Sparrow, I think it has 350 WW in the bag. I think it still has a fighting chance at 400 if it continues to hold well

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:45 am
You must have big rats

If The A-Team didn't bomb then one culd say there are barely bombs at all in Hollywood which is kinda stupid to say, though. If any big budget blockbuster bombed this summer it was The A-Team and it was more than clearly enough explained in this thread why it did.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:21 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Thegun wrote:
or having sex in the next ten years.

And you're so funny and clever that you have to steal my jokes.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:27 am
Full Fledged Member

Dr. Lecter wrote:
But it seems like a moot point...I don't see any other Narnia films happening in near future. Especially now that they are running out of possibilities to bring back the original cast.

Well, if they are worried that the audience wouldn't come back to see a movie without the Pevensies, they could skip Silver Chair and do The Horse and His Boy. The events in that novel take place while the Pevensies were kings and queens of Narnia (probably in their early 20s, the kids are close to that age anyway).

Doubt that would happen, but it's a possibility.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The Horse and His Boy is probably the last book of the seven they'd ever adapt.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am
Profile WWW

Dr. Lecter wrote:
If The A-Team didn't bomb then one culd say there are barely bombs at all in Hollywood which is kinda stupid to say, though. If any big budget blockbuster bombed this summer it was The A-Team and it was more than clearly enough explained in this thread why it did.

But what was the average predition for the A-team (100-130 million). Not much higher than 100 million, I think they were hoping for something around Charlie Angels numbers and higher than Starsky and Hutch. I don't think Fox was expecting a huge 200 million grosser. I think there are better candidates than the A-team. I would say that goes to the Sorcerer's Apprentice if we're talking films bombing in the US. Then of course there is How Do you Know, Green Zone and The Wolf Man, etc, Prince of Persia (A-team missed its budget by about 20 million, most of these missed it by 100 million). There were still quite a few US Bombs, and looking at them to A-Team, it's really not a bomb, but more of a disappointment.

And sorry Mr. R, didn't realize you invented the sex joke.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 am
Full Fledged Member

Technically, they could do The Last Battle. Everyone loves a good finale. I think that they could do good things with that book. Just skip Eustace's story and go to The Last Battle.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm
You must have big rats

I think the only chance they'll even consider a sequel is if Dawn Treader makes $300+ million overseas AND sells over 5 million copies on DVD in North America.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is still doing pretty well in several holdovers and has Japan ahead. Prince Caspian ended up with $278 million which will be easy to pass. I definitely see $290+ million at this point.

Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $242.9 milli
Looks like 400m+ WW total is in store. OS total did save it a lot thanks to 3D, it is definitely impressive for it to pass Caspian and I too think it will be very close to 300m OS but will not pass it

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:55 pm
You must have big rats

Well, it has 3D so it could overperform in Japan.

Prince Caspian made $27.7 million there. With 3D it could get up to $40 million in Japan and that could push it well beyond $300 million overseas.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I doubt that it will over-perform there though a total to 20-30m can be expected from there. It is released in all the other markets and if it does holdover well in the next 2-3 weeks 300m should be achievable.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 pm
You must have big rats

Quote:
Fox's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader claimed $9 million on the weekend from 5,862 screens in 66 markets, pushing its overseas gross total to $258.9 million.

Japan is still ahead and I see AT LEAST $20 million from there (that if there is a massive decrease in attendance from Prince Caspian).

I think that pretty much assures $300+ million overseas at this point and $400+ million worldwide. It will get very close to Caspian's overseas total and considering that the budget is $70 million lower, I am sure it'll end up as a bigger financial success for Fox than Caspian was for Disney.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:18 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Chronicles of Narnia: Dawn Treader (INTL) - $258.9 milli
Yep considering that it saw a 9m weekend it it sure to cross 300m+ OS total which is definitely wow for a movie that did so poorly domestically. I think 3D has a lot to help here and that is why it will be able to match Caspian's WW gross. Not only that the marketing that Fox did for Narnia was impressive in their standards but nothing compared to what Disney did for Caspian, so I guess it is already a bigger financial success for Fox.

Though even with this I seriously doubt a sequel is in store, Fox should have to be really confident and impressed with OS takings to greenlit that.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next