Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 117  Next
 China Box Office 
now we know

Post Re: China Box Office
The Expendables 3 is up to $72m.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

$73.1m for The Expendables 3.

That beats The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, Need for Speed, Edge of Tomorrow, Gravity, Fast & Furious 6, Man of Steel, and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

One of the most successful franchises ever in China.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Very successful indeed.

Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I'm calling it now: Seventh Son will be a hit in China and make more than in the US.

It opens on the 16th January. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies opens on 23rd January. Unbroken opens on 30th January. Mockingjay Part I opens on 8th February.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
I'm calling it now: Seventh Son will be a hit in China and make more than in the US.

It opens on the 16th January. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies opens on 23rd January. Unbroken opens on 30th January. Mockingjay Part I opens on 8th February.

They'll watch anything, so that's not a bold prediction. 300 million for Trashformers 4. 7th heaven is in IMAX so they'll eat it up.

I am kind of interested in that film though as well.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:43 pm
now we know

Well, they won't watch anything. That's untrue. The USA, however, lol, not so picky. They'll watch anything with a Marvel or Disney logo at the start.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Algren wrote:
They'll watch anything with a Marvel or Disney logo at the start.

How soon Algren forgets:

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:21 am
now we know

Taken 3 comes out on 20th March.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Whenever someone says "fuck" in CHAPPiE, it is muted here in China. But the Chinese subtitles still shows it.

China certainly hates foreigners.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 19, 2015 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Only 1.206m yuan (193K) for Tomorrowland midnight.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon May 25, 2015 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

At 1:50pm local time, Tomorrowland has earned 7.51m yuan for the day, including any ticket sales for later shows. I, Frankenstein is at 5.85m yuan, and Avengers 2 is at 4.89m yuan. So yeah, not so hot opening day for Tomorrowland.

Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It is a Tuesday. Not so surprising for a film like Tomorrowland to not be doing so well opening on a Tuesday. You just cannot compare it to such rush-out-and-see-opening-day blockbusters as Age of Ultron and Furious 7. Also, there is just zero marketing here for Tomorrowland, and what there is only started a day ago.

In China, the marketing is super strange. On the tube/metro, the channel that plays on there has a movie show each week, and it shows the movies that were out 4 weeks ago. Like, for example, on the tube/metro this week were clips of Mortdecai, which was out many weeks ago, instead of what you would expect there to be clips of; Tomorrowland; I, Frankenstein; hell, even Chappie, but nope....Mortdecai was there. It's very weird over here. I don't think they grasp the point of marketing at all.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 26, 2015 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

So 16m yuan OD for Tomorrowland, or $2.56m.

Tue May 26, 2015 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

It seems like Jurassic World is coming out on 10th June in China. Two days before the US release.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 26, 2015 6:40 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Insurgent comes out on 19th June. San Andreas on 2nd June.

So June is pretty over run with foreign releases. I guess there are no national holidays in June, so China allows all the foreign movies to play out in one month.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 26, 2015 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

June 1st is a holiday, International Children Day. :)

Tue May 26, 2015 7:11 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

But nobody gets the day off work, so it makes no difference. Maybe kids get a day off school, not sure.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue May 26, 2015 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
It is a Tuesday. Not so surprising for a film like Tomorrowland to not be doing so well opening on a Tuesday. You just cannot compare it to such rush-out-and-see-opening-day blockbusters as Age of Ultron and Furious 7. Also, there is just zero marketing here for Tomorrowland, and what there is only started a day ago.

In China, the marketing is super strange. On the tube/metro, the channel that plays on there has a movie show each week, and it shows the movies that were out 4 weeks ago. Like, for example, on the tube/metro this week were clips of Mortdecai, which was out many weeks ago, instead of what you would expect there to be clips of; Tomorrowland; I, Frankenstein; hell, even Chappie, but nope....Mortdecai was there. It's very weird over here. I don't think they grasp the point of marketing at all.

It's:
A: people being lazy
B: people not following rules, which has a lot to do with A as well, which is caused by a lack of supervision
C: people not having any identity or pride in their work;, on most levels people just do, manager says do it, they do it, manager says don't do it, they don't it. They don't put any of their own understanding in the task as in; oh wait this movie is out of the cinema I should update/ or ask whether to update the clip.
D: in the end this also just comes back to bad management then. China seems to have great difficulty raising managers, there's bosses, and under that is just people who follow, if the boss doesn't care, managers don't raise any concerns.

You see the above in all industries and workplaces in China.

Tue May 26, 2015 9:03 pm
now we know

I believe it is a conscious decision, though, as it has been happening for years.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 27, 2015 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Yeah, Tomorrowland is very much a non-event, dropping 49% on the second day, and now the new Doraemon movie is looking to dominate Thursday and this weekend.

Wed May 27, 2015 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

28.7 million Yuan for Stand By Me Doraemon's first day (according to Japanese sources). :)

The film went on to become the highest grossing Japanese film in Hong Kong. What's the highest grossing Japanese film in China, anyway?

I also read that this is the first Japanese film to open in China in 3 years, due to the Senkaku Islands disputes. Japan has continued to release Chinese films despite the tensions.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu May 28, 2015 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It's definitely going to be the biggest Japanese film ever in China. The Friday gross was up 38% from Thursday. 64.44m yuan after two days.

Fri May 29, 2015 11:09 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

According to BOT, it's up to 237 million yuan ($38.2 million) after 4 days with tomorrow being a holiday.

Quote:
Doraemon Stand By Me had a massive opening weekend in China with $33.9 million and a 4-day total of $38.2 million. Doraemon's Saturday and Sunday grosses both surpassed the previous record for a single-day total by an animated feature held by Kung Fu Panda 2's opening day $10.8 million in 2011. Doraemon is China's first Japanese import in 3 years after relations between the two neighboring countries soured in 2011. It follows a geeky middle schooler and a time-traveling robotic cat sent from the future to help him navigate the pitfalls of adolescent life.

So, $100 million+ potential? This seems pretty unreal, as it should beat Big Hero 6 to become the top animated film of the year here unless I'm really overestimating the market's legs (easy to do when checking out non-Japanese markets).

Stand By Me Doraemon's worldwide gross may reach $200 million now from just 5 markets. China should release more Japanese films from now on and not wait another 3 years. :mer:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 31, 2015 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

What holiday is tomorrow? I thought Children's Day was yesterday (Sunday).

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun May 31, 2015 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Children's day is on June 1st, (today/ Monday) as far as I know, and all the kids/ teachers are off this day.

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 117  Next