Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
The Antichrist

Post Re: Japan Box Office ('13) One Piece breaks record; Hobbit b
An absolutely gorgeous 80% drop from Return of the Krap demands a post :P

Didn't Toy Story 3 gross around 130M despite huge competition from Arrietty and Pokemon? I guess 3D will be the real problem if the trend continues, the release date shouldn't be much concerning (plus, in November and December there will still be competitors).

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:14 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Pokemon isn't really competition for anything and nothing is competition for it. The films always open and finish in a similar range no matter what opens against them.

Toy Story 3 did gross $130 million with competition from Arrietty, but 2010 was the year of 3D. Toy Story 3's screen count consisted of 80% 3D screens, and every 3D film was getting a 80-90% 3D share. If it was released today, it wouldn't have bombed, but it would have grossed significantly less with casual audiences going for Arrietty. Kinda like what happened with Brave and Wolf Children this past July.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

One Piece Film Z expected to exceed 1 million admissions Opening Weekend (2 days).

http://eiga.com/news/20121216/1/

Conformation of earlier reports.

Reported Facts:

>Saturday admissions topped 600,000.
>Saturday Box Office Proceeds reached ¥750 million ($9 million).
>101 screens (or 34% of total) were sold out nationwide by 7pm.
>650,000 tickets were sold in advance (60% increase over it's predecessor).

Also, distributor Toei is expecting the film to clear ¥1.3 billion ($16 million) for the weekend (2-day).

And since it seems to be pretty certain now that the film will indeed break 1 million admissions over the weekend, it's the first film to achieve this incredible accomplishment on opening weekend (2-day) since Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in 2007. And it's only the second local film to ever achieve the milestone, the first being Howl's Moving Castle in 2004.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:39 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

like omni, i'm in love with this hobbit number :wub2:

Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:58 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Sunday morning business was strong for about every film. Afternoon showings also look pretty strong across the board.

One Piece keeps selling out most of it's showings, The Hobbit is doing a little better than yesterday (especially 2D showings, including a Wald 9 sell out), and many of the holdovers (Kamen Rider, 007, and Today) are hitting 50% capacity or better at various locations. One Piece spillover appears to be spreading itself out among a number of films.

There is currently an election going on (former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is expected to win) and turnout is expected to be high, so that's probably fueling the box office today.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Japanese movies seem to be doing way better than Hollywood movies recently. Every story that you post seems to be "Hollywood bomb" and "Japan success". I mean, I'm glad about that, it makes Japan more interesting as a country that they support their own product, but it's just surprising.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

I know. There were only a couple Imported films worth praising this year.

2006 marked the first time Japanese films earned more than Imported films. It was also the first time more Japanese films were released than Imported films. And since then, besides 2007 (Harry Potter, Pirates, and Spider-Man trio), Japanese films have been earning more:

2006: Japanese (53.2%) - Imported (46.8%)
2007: Imported (52.3%) - Japanese (47.7%)
2008: Japanese (59.5%) - Imported (40.5%)
2009: Japanese (56.9%) - Imported (43.1%)
2010: Japanese (53.6%) - Imported (46.4%)
2011: Japanese (54.9%) - Imported (45.1%)
2012: Japanese (70.0%) - Imported (30.0%) Projection.

2012 was so bad for Imported films because of 3D. I've said it before, but every major 3D release besides The Avengers and Resident Evil V either disappointed or bombed. Imported 2D films did just fine, but there are so few released anymore from Hollywood they can't balance out 3D films disappointing.

In fact, the best performances for Hollywood (Imported) films were all 2D releases: Mission Impossible IV outgrossed it's predecessor and earned over 5 billion yen; 007: Skyfall (techically a 2013 release) is on track to become the highest grossing Bond film ever; and The Intouchables became the most attended French film of all-time and outgrossed the likes of Brave and possibly even The Hobbit. Had any of those films been in 3D, I guarantee they'd have grossed much, much less.

3D shares only broke 50% a few times during the year Vs. the 80/90% 3D share that was common in 2010 and a couple cases in 2011.

I believe 3D is hindering the performance of Imported films now, so much that it can result in a film flat out bombing. 3D also hurt Japanese films (Inazuma Eleven 2 and Always 3), too, since the end of 2011 and they've decided to stop converting or producing films in 3D. As a result, their films are doing gangbusters and likely absorbing the casual moviegoers (more than usual) who refuse to pay extra money to see a Hollywood 3D film. I think if Imported films (Hollywood) want to remain competitive, they'll need to drastically reduce the number of 3D screens.

Last edited by Corpse on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

3D is a fad, and it will basically die out. Even in the US, I can't see it lasting too long. Man, I love Japan. 3D kind of ruins a movie, and the Japs have seen that...and even better the Japanese studios have noticed that and are stopping the production or conversion in 3D..I wish I lived there.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:07 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Move there.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 am
now we know

It ain't that easy.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:54 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Last update before I log off for the night:

Sunday continues to be a very busy day at the movies. The high turnout of today's election is definitely having a positive effect.

One Piece is still selling out at most locations. Any doubts of it reaching 1 million admissions for the weekend can be forgotten now. While it's not official yet, it's an incredible feat that may not happen for another 5 years (Harry Potter 5 was the last film to do it with an unknown amount of previews).

The Hobbit isn't doing too bad today, at least compared to yesterday. I'm thinking it could come close to 250 million yen ($3 million) for the weekend. Obviously that's a massive disappointment, but hey, it's better than 200 million yen.

Humanoid Monster is doing pretty well today when compared to yesterday, too. It'll be close between it and The Hobbit for the #2 spot this weekend. We could potentially see a split with The Hobbit ranking 2nd in gross, but behind Humanoid Monster in admissions.

Holdovers continue to do quite well, too, especially Today, I Started Loving You. It was down approx. 15% yesterday compared to last Saturday, it's opening day, and based on how well it's doing today (spotting a few sell outs), I think it can manage a sub-10% second weekend drop which puts it in contention for the #2 spot this weekend as well.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:16 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Screw The Hobbit, I'm interested to see how One Piece performs.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2013) Weekend Estimates
12/15-16
Weekend Estimates

ImageImageImage

1 (-) One Piece Film Z (Toei) ¥1.3-1.5 billion ($16-18 million) NEW!
2 (-) Humanoid Monster, Bem (Toho) ¥221 million ($2.7 million) NEW!

3 (-) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.) ¥217 million ($2.6 million) NEW!
4 (3) Today, I Started Loving You (Toho) ¥193 million ($2.3 million), -14%, Week 2
5 (1) Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard (Toei) ¥170 million ($2.1 million), -40%, Week 2
6 (2) 007: Skyfall (Sony) ¥161 million ($2.0 million), -40%, Week 3
7 (4) Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (T-Joy) ¥131 million ($1.6 million), -30%, Week 5
8 (-) Frankenweenie (Disney) ¥122 million ($1.5 million) NEW!
9 (5) Inazuma Eleven Go Vs. Danball Senkei W: The Movie (Toho) ¥69 million ($830,000), -28%, Week 3
10 (6) Holy Scripture of Evil (Toho) ¥51 million ($620,000), -46%, Week 7

Like Evangelion 3.0 last month, One Piece Film Z's estimates differ a bit since the figures are so huge. So I'm keeping the estimate in a range for now. One comparison has it as high as ¥1.6 billion nearly ($20 million), but that would have required an increase on Sunday and/or Saturday to be underestimated. I guess it's possible, but it's definitely the maximum. If by some miracle it hit $20 million, it'll be the biggest Opening Weekend All-Time in USD topping Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. I'll update as soon as any numbers are released.

Humanoid Monster and The Hobbit are very close to one another can could easily switch spots. It's tough to gauge the children audience for Humanoid Monster and to predict the 3D share for The Hobbit.

Regardless of which ranking the two films get, slow start for Humanoid Monster coming in below expecations. And The Hobbit is playing on a massive 876 screen count meaning it's weekend psa could be below $3,000. It opened on Friday but even it's 3-day total is probably below ¥300 million (sub $4 million).

Both Humanoid Monster and The Hobbit will be targeting ¥2 billion ($25 million).

Decent opening for Frankenweenie. ¥1 billion ($12 million) is doable this time of year with a ¥100 million opening. Corpse Bride managed ¥1 billion in 2005 for comparison.

Holdovers:

Very strong for Today, I Started Loving You. It's bound to be one of the leggiest films this New Year.

Pretty good drop for Kamen Rider. These films rarely avoid a 50% second weekend drop, so this 40% estimate is impressive.

007: Skyfall hasn't been displaying great legs, but they're solid enough and in an unexpected twist, it's very likely to beat The Hobbit. It could be Hollywood's top film this New Year, though Les Miserables is expected to be a hit with tickets already on sale for Dec. 21st.

Last edited by Corpse on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Quality is a great business plan

Post Re: Japan Box Office ('13) Weekend Estimates
hobbit is the disaster of the year when it comes to blockbusters. ROTK made almost 100M in japan and this one is on track to make just 1/4 of that. Just WOW.

I used to be shawman.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:13 pm
now we know

1/8 of that might be closer

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:15 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

lol who would of thought MI4 and TA would be top Hollywood films in Japan this year

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Resident Evil V beat The Avengers for the #2 spot among Hollywood releases.

The Hobbit is a 2013 release, so it's performance wouldn't have matter either way, too.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

12/15-16
Cinema Chain Rankings

[TOHO]
1. One Piece Film Z (Toei) NEW!
2. Humanoid Monster, Bem (Toho) NEW!

3. Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (T-Joy) Week 5
4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.) NEW!
5. 007: Skyfall (Sony) Week 3
6. Today, I Started Loving You (Toho) Week 2
7. Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard (Toei) Week 2
8. Frankeweenie (Disney) NEW!
9. Inazuma Eleven Go! Vs. Danball Senkei W: The Movie (Toho) Week 3
10. Holy Scripture of Evil (Toho) Week 7

[WARNER]

3. Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard (Toei) Week 2
4. Today, I Started Loving You (Toho) Week 2
5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.) NEW!

[SHIKOKU]

3. Today, I Started Loving You (Toho) Week 2
4. Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard (Toei) Week 2
5. 007: Skyfall (Sony) Week 3
6. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.) NEW!
7. Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (T-Joy) Week 5
8. Inazuma Eleven Go! Vs. Danball Senkei W: The Movie (Toho) Week 3
9. Frankeweenie (Disney) NEW!
10. Holy Scripture of Evil (Toho) Week 7

[SUNSHINE]
2. Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard (Toei) Week 2
3. Humanoid Monster, Bem (Toho) NEW!
4. Today, I Started Loving You (Toho) Week 2
5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Warner Bros.) NEW!

If One Piece broke Howl's Moving Castle's admissions record it should be reported pretty soon. It's still shocking a film has managed to do 1 million admissions opening weekend again after so long (5 years).

The Hobbit will need a mighty avg. ticket price 3D boost if it wants to debut in second place. It didn't manage a third place ranking at any of the major chains. It's certainly behind Humanoid Monster in admissions for the weekend (what cinema chains rank on) and maybe even Today and/or Kamen Rider, too.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:08 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

12/15-16
Weekend Figures

>One Piece Film Z opened on 300 screens and drew 1,140,081 admissions to earn ¥1,372,054,050 ($16.6 million). It's the first film since 2007 to break 1 million admissions opening weekend, the biggest opener in over 5 years topping Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2, and sets the all-time admission record opening weekend for a local film previously held by Howl's Moving Castle 8 years ago. Wow. I don't have time this morning, but I'll post the All-Time Opening Charts tonight to show how high it really ranked.

>The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opened on a whopping 878 screens but only managed 146,315 admissions to earn ¥220,517,000 ($2.7 million) over the weekend. Since opening on Friday, t's 3-day total is 199,122 admissions and ¥291,659,600 ($3.5 million). In gross it was good enough for second place this weekend, but in admissions it ranked fifth.

> Humanoid Monster, Bem opened on 331 screens and brought in 175,438 people to gross ¥206,325,850 ($2.5 million).

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:33 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2013) Weekend Numbers Up
So will The Hobbit be losing lots of theaters soon then? It makes business sense as it's not popular enough to warrant 878 screens..

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2013) Weekend Numbers Up
Algren, it's likely to lose screens at a steady pace, but this will be more comparable to how a film loses screens in the US.

All-Time Opening Weekends (2-Day ONLY)

[JPY]
01 :: The Matrix Reloaded (Warner Bros.) ¥2,222,854,550 [631 scr] 2003
02 :: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner Bros.) ¥2,068,252,580 [919 scr] 2007
03 :: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Warner Bros.) ¥2,050,745,255 [858 scr] 2002
04 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Disney) ¥1,944,562,960 [760 scr] 2006
05 :: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Fox) ¥1,879,423,202 [758 scr] 2005
06 :: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Warner Bros.) ¥1,871,164,334 [796 scr] 2004
07 :: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Warner Bros.) ¥1,694,140,004 [826 scr] 2006
08 :: War of the Worlds (Paramount) ¥1,644,716,870 [841 scr] 2005
09 :: The Matrix Revolutions (Warner Bros.) ¥1,617,608,800 [638 scr] 2004
10 :: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Fox) ¥1,604,609,245 [639 scr] 2002
11 :: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Warner Bros.) ¥1,550,280,200 [578 scr] 2002
12 :: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Herald/Shochiku) ¥1,542,985,506 [729 scr] 2004
13 :: Howl's Moving Castle (Toho) ¥1,483,804,112 [448 scr] 2005
14 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Disney) ¥1,471,311,021 [881 scr] 2007
15 :: Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Toho-Towa) ¥1,456,401,175 [550 scr] 2003
16 :: One Piece Film Z (Toei) ¥1,372,054,050 [300 scr] 2013
17 :: Alice in Wonderland (Disney) ¥1,316,539,200 [859 scr] 2010
18 :: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Warner Bros.) ¥1,301,851,375 [922 scr] 2011
19 :: Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (Toho) ¥1,263,735,608 [408 scr] 2003
20 :: The Da Vinci Code (Sony) ¥1,258,095,403 [863 scr] 2006
21 :: Rookies (Toho) ¥1,225,913,932 [428 scr] 2009
22 :: Spider-Man 3 (Sony) ¥1,208,276,812 [807 scr] 2007
23 :: Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (T-Joy) ¥1,133,513,323 [224 scr] 2012
24 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Disney) ¥1,113,116,126 [800 scr] 2011
25 :: One Piece Film Strong World (Toei) ¥1,038,295,232 [190 scr] 2010
26 :: Ponyo on a Cliff (Toho) ¥1,034,459,534 [481 scr] 2008
27 :: Hero (Toho) ¥1,013,719,284 [475 scr] 2007
28 :: Spirited Away (Toho) ¥1,009,000,000 [318 scr] 2001
29 :: Boys Over Flowers: Final (Toho) ¥1,005,428,333 [409 scr] 2008

[USD]
01 :: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Fox) $18.9 million [758 scr] 2005
02 :: The Matrix Reloaded (Warner Bros.) $18.8 million [631 scr] 2003
03 :: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Warner Bros.) $17.3 million [796 scr] 2004
04 :: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner Bros.) $17.0 million [919 scr] 2007
05 :: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Warner Bros.) $16.8 million [858 scr] 2002
06 :: One Piece Film Z (Toei) $16.7 million [300 scr] 2013
07 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Disney) $16.6 million [760 scr] 2006
08 :: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 (Warner Bros.) $16.4 million [922 scr] 2011
09 :: War of the Worlds (Paramount) $15.2 million [841 scr] 2005
10 :: The Matrix Revolutions (Warner Bros.) $15.0 million [638 scr] 2004
11 :: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Herald/Shochiku) $14.8 million [729 scr] 2004
12 :: Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo (T-Joy) $14.1 million [224 scr] 2012
13 :: Alice in Wonderland (Disney) $14.0 million [859 scr] 2010
14 :: Howl's Moving Castle (Toho) $13.9 million [448 scr] 2005
15 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (Disney) $13.9 million [800 scr] 2011
16 :: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Fox) $13.5 million [639 scr] 2002
17 :: Rookies (Toho) $12.9 million [428 scr] 2009
18 :: Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Toho-Towa) $12.6 million [550 scr] 2003
19 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Disney) $12.2 million [881 scr] 2007
20 :: One Piece Film Strong World (Toei) $11.9 million [190 scr] 2010
21 :: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Warner Bros.) $11.5 million [826 scr] 2005
22 :: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows I (Warner Bros.) $11.4 million [872 scr] 2011
23 :: The Da Vinci Code (Sony) $11.3 million [863 scr] 2006
24 :: Bayside Shakedown: Set The Guys Loose! (Toho) $11.1 million [447 scr] 2010
25 :: Umizaru: Brave Hearts (Toho) $11.1 million [450 scr] 2012

[ADMISSIONS]
01 :: The Matrix Reloaded (Warner Bros.) 1,486,743 [631 scr] 2003
02 :: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Warner Bros.) 1,469,755 [796 scr] 2004
03 :: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Warner Bros.) 1,467,945 [919 scr] 2007
04 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (Disney) 1,421,738 [760 scr] 2006
05 :: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Warner Bros.) 1,390,446 [858 scr] 2002
06 :: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Warner Bros.) 1,359,454 [826 scr] 2006
07 :: Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Fox) 1,357,977 [758 scr] 2005
08 :: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Warner Bros.) 1,279,120 [578 scr] 2002
09 :: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Herald/Shochiku) 1,198,210 [729 scr] 2004
10 :: War of the Worlds (Paramount) 1,190,009 [841 scr] 2005
11 :: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (Disney) 1,186,413 [881 scr] 2007
12 :: One Piece Film Z (Toei) 1,140,081 [300 scr] 2013
13 :: Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (Fox) 1,138,689 [639 scr] 2002
14 :: Howl's Moving Castle (Toho) 1,114,980 [448 scr] 2005
15 :: The Matrix Revolutions (Warner Bros.) 1,110,913 [638 scr] 2004
16 :: Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (Toho-Towa) 1,043,267 [550 scr] 2003
17 :: Rookies (Toho) 987,387 [428 scr] 2009
18 :: Bayside Shakedown: Save the Rainbow Bridge! (Toho) 930,586 [408 scr] 2003
19 :: The Da Vinci Code (Sony) 923,711 [863 scr] 2006
20 :: Spider-Man 3 (Sony) 921,341 [807 scr] 2007
21 :: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 (Warner Bros.) 880,697 [922 scr] 2011
22 :: Alice in Wonderland (Disney) 828,149 [859 scr] 2010
23 :: One Piece Film Strong World (Toei) 819,738 [190 scr] 2010
24 :: Ponyo on a Cliff (Toho) 812,557 [481 scr] 2008
25 :: Spirited Away (Toho) 810,000 [318 scr] 2001

>Biggest Opening Weekend All-Time for a Local Film in USD and Admissions.
>Biggest Opening Weekend All-Time for any Animated Feature JPY, USD, and Admissions.
>Biggest Opening Weekend All-Time for for any Film playing on less than 400 screens.

The revenue figure isn't 100% final yet, but it's more than an estimate (only the last 6 digits change usually). I'm hoping it can see just enough of a bump tomorrow to move ahead of one or two Harry Potter films on the USD chart and enter the Top 5 there.

One Piece Film Z should finish between ¥5.5-6.5 billion ($70-80 million).

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box Office (2013) Charts Updated
2012 Box Office Charts
As of Sunday, 12/16:

Top Grossing Films (¥1 billion+)
Rank :: Revenue ¥ (billion) / $ (million) :: Title :: Release :: Admissions (million) :: Days In Release :: Distributor
01 :: ¥7.27 / $92.88 (8.20x) :: Umizaru: Brave Hearts :: July :: 5.72 :: OE :: Toho
02 :: ¥5.95 / $76.03 (13.75x) :: Thermae Romae :: Apr. :: 4.70 :: OE :: Toho
03 :: ¥5.87 / $75.26 (7.30x) :: Bayside Shakedown THE FINAL :: Sept. :: 4.62 :: TE :: Toho
04 :: ¥5.38 / $70.55 (9.39x) :: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol :: Dec '11 :: 4.24 :: OE :: Paramount
05 :: ¥4.42 / $55.08 (3.90x) :: Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo :: Nov. :: 3.21 :: 30 :: T-Joy
06 :: ¥4.18 / $53.49 (11.45x) :: The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki :: July :: 3.41 :: OE :: Toho
07 :: ¥3.87 / $48.85 (5.74x) :: Resident Evil: Retribution :: Sept. :: 2.60 :: TE :: Sony
08 :: ¥3.62 / $46.07 (6.56x) :: Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles :: Mar. :: 3.35 :: OE :: Toho
09 :: ¥3.56 / $45.56 (7.12x) :: The Avengers :: Aug. :: 2.35 :: TE :: Disney
10 :: ¥3.51 / $44.88 (6.89x) :: Pokemon B&W: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo :: July :: 3.35 :: TE :: Toho
11 :: ¥3.44 / $43.68 (6.19x) :: ALWAYS: Sunset on Third Street '64 :: Jan. :: 2.70 :: OE :: Toho
12 :: ¥3.28 / $42.32 (5.21x) :: Detective Conan: The Eleventh Striker :: Apr. :: 2.74 :: OE :: Toho
13 :: ¥3.16 / $40.88 (5.51x) :: Men in Black 3 :: May :: 2.12 :: TE :: Toho-Towa
14 :: ¥3.13 / $40.64 (5.34x) :: Kaibutsu-Kun: The Movie :: Nov '11 :: 2.39 :: OE :: Toho
15 :: ¥3.11 / $39.49 (5.36x) :: The Amazing Spider-Man :: June :: 2.12 :: TE :: Sony
16 :: ¥2.92 / $37.21 (7.31x) :: Rurouni Kenshin :: Aug. :: 2.34 :: TE :: Warner Bros.
17 :: ¥2.60 / $31.87 (6.42x) :: The Floating Castle :: Nov. :: 2.16 :: 45 :: Toho/Asmik Ace
18 :: ¥2.51 / $31.67 (8.50x) :: We Were There: Part I :: Mar. :: 2.10 :: OE :: Asmik Ace/Toho
19 :: ¥2.40 / $30.36 (5.16x) :: SPEC: The Movie :: Apr. :: 1.85 :: OE :: Toho
20 :: ¥2.20 / $27.50 (7.00x) :: Liar Game: Reborn :: Mar. :: 1.76 :: OE :: Toho
21 :: ¥2.16 / $27.21 (5.35x) :: Dark Shadows :: May :: 1.71 :: TE :: Warner Bros.
22 :: ¥2.13 / $27.16 (9.14x) :: Dearest :: Aug. :: 1.99 :: TE :: Toho
23 :: ¥2.12 / $26.84 (7.11x) :: Holy Scripture of Evil :: Nov. :: 1.62 :: 37 :: Toho
24 :: ¥2.04 / $26.01 (8.75x) :: Heruta Skelter :: July :: 1.55 :: TE :: Asmik Ace
25 :: ¥2.01 / $25.87 (11.16x) :: Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted :: Aug. :: 1.58 :: TE :: Paramount
26 :: ¥1.96 / $24.49 (6.46x) :: Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows :: Mar. :: 1.67 :: TE :: Warner Bros.
27 :: ¥1.92 / $24.27 (5.16x) :: The Dark Knight Rises :: July :: 1.46 :: TE :: Warner Bros.
28 :: ¥1.90 / $24.14 (6.01x) :: K-ON! The Movie :: Dec '11 :: 1.45 :: OE :: Shochiku
29 :: ¥1.84 / $23.54 (5.88x) :: Glow of Fireflies :: June :: 1.49 :: TE :: Toho
30 :: ¥1.80 / $23.07 (6.49x) :: In Time :: Feb. :: 1.40 :: TE :: FOX
31 :: ¥1.77 / $22.70 (5.86x) :: Prometheus :: Aug. :: 1.22 :: TE :: FOX
32 :: ¥1.71 / $22.01 (5.45x) :: We Were There: Part II :: Apr. :: 1.37 :: TE :: Asmik Ace/Toho
33 :: ¥1.71 / $21.98 (5.67x) :: Snow White and the Huntsman :: June :: 1.33 :: TE :: Toho-Towa
34 :: ¥1.70 / $21.97 (6.15x) :: Shizanmono: The Movie :: Jan. :: 1.36 :: OE :: Toho
35 :: ¥1.60 / $20.26 (8.37x) :: Connection :: Oct. :: 1.32 :: 58 :: Toho
36 :: ¥1.56 / $19.86 (3.81x) :: Kamen Rider x Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen :: Apr. :: 1.34 :: TE :: TOEI
37 :: ¥1.55 / $19.85 (4.06x) :: Space Brothers :: May :: 1.21 :: TE :: Toho
38 :: ¥1.51 / $19.68 (4.01x) :: Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: War Mega Max :: Dec '11 :: 1.30 :: TE :: TOEI
39 :: ¥1.50 / $19.28 (5.13x) :: Battleship :: Apr. :: 1.18 :: OE :: Toho-Towa
40 :: ¥1.47 / $19.01 (10.42x) :: Friends: Naki On Monster Island :: Dec '11 :: 1.10 :: TE :: Toho
41 :: ¥1.45 / $18.62 (6.41x) :: Real Steel :: Dec '11 :: 1.13 :: OE :: Walt Disney
42 :: ¥1.45 / $18.43 (18.39x) :: The Intouchables :: Sept. :: 1.17 :: TE :: Gaga
43 :: ¥1.43 / $18.22 (9.47x) :: Fleet Admiral, Isoroku Yamamoto :: Dec '11 :: 1.13 :: TE :: TOEI
44 :: ¥1.41 / $18.04 (4.67x) :: Naruto: Road to Ninja :: July :: 1.21 :: TE :: Toho
45 :: ¥1.39 / $17.87 (8.47x) :: Tale of Genji :: Dec '11 :: 1.15 :: TE :: Toho
46 :: ¥1.37 / $17.37 (5.57x) :: Sadako 3D :: May :: .969 :: TE :: Kadokawa Pictures
47 :: ¥1.36 / $17.93 (4.87x) :: Outrage 2: Beyond :: Oct. :: 1.02 :: TE :: Warner Bros.
48 :: ¥1.28 / $15.86 (5.54x) :: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo :: Feb. :: .996 :: TE :: Sony
49 :: ¥1.27 / $15.86 (4.96x) :: Kamen Rider Fourze: Everyone, Space is Here! :: Aug. :: 1.04 :: TE :: TOEI
50 :: ¥1.22 / $15.41 (6.78x) :: A Chorus of Angels :: Nov. :: .952 :: 37 :: TOEI
51 :: ¥1.20 / $15.36 (7.04x) :: Puss in Boots :: Mar. :: .925 :: OE :: Paramount
52 :: ¥1.18 / $15.19 (5.84x) :: Robo-G :: Jan. :: 1.01 :: TE :: Toho
53 :: ¥1.14 / $14.61 (9.47x) :: Chronicle of My Mother :: Apr. :: .876 :: TE :: Shochiku
54 :: ¥1.12 / $14.02 (8.11x) :: Inazuma Eleven GO :: Dec '11 :: .926 :: TE :: Toho
55 :: ¥1.09 / $13.93 (4.96x) :: The Adventures of Tintin :: Dec '11 :: .754 :: TE :: Toho-Towa
56 :: ¥1.05 / $13.44 (6.76x) :: Eight Ranger :: July :: .880 :: TE :: Toho
57 :: ¥1.03 / $12.90 (5.28x) :: Crayon Shin-chan (2012) :: Apr. :: .963 :: TE :: Toho
58 :: ¥1.03 / $12.87 (5.88x) :: Hugo :: Mar. :: .732 :: TE :: Paramount
59 :: ¥1.02 / $12.75 (5.23x) :: Pretty Cure All Stars New Stage: Friends of the Future :: Mar. :: .881 :: TE :: TOEI
60 :: ¥1.01 / $12.68 (4.69x) :: Total Recall :: Aug. :: .800 :: TE :: Sony

Top Opening Weekends [FINAL] (2-Days ONLY, ¥250 million+)
Rank :: Revenue ¥ (million) / $ (million) :: Title :: Release :: Admissions (thousand) :: Screen Count :: Distributor
01 :: ¥1,133.0 / $14.05 :: Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo :: Nov. :: 771.76 :: 224 :: T-Joy
02 :: ¥878.23 / $11.08 :: Umizaru: Brave Hearts :: July :: 686.98 :: 450 :: Toho
03 :: ¥804.27 / $10.29 :: Bayside Shakedown THE FINAL :: Sept. :: 604.09 :: 452 :: Toho
04 :: ¥676.99 / $8.58 :: Resident Evil: Retribution :: Sept. :: 433.94 :: 779 :: Sony
05 :: ¥629.74 / $7.82 :: Detective Conan: The Eleventh Striker :: Apr. :: 540.98 :: 351 :: Toho
06 :: ¥583.89 / $7.61 :: The Amazing Spider-Man :: June :: 426.16 :: 1,092 :: Sony
07 :: ¥581.04 / $7.48 :: Kaibutsu-Kun: The Movie :: Nov '11 :: 431.09 :: 446 :: Toho
08 :: ¥573.57 / $7.35 :: Men in Black 3 :: May :: 372.97 :: 979 :: Toho-Towa
09 :: ¥573.22 / $7.34 :: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol :: Dec '11 :: 437.75 :: 636 ::Paramount
10 :: ¥555.62 / $7.22 :: ALWAYS: Sunset on Third Street '64 :: Jan. :: 421.27 :: 473 :: Toho
11 :: ¥552.62 / $6.86 :: Doraemon: Nobita and the Island of Miracles :: Mar. :: 485.47 :: 359 :: Toho
12 :: ¥509.94 / $6.42 :: Pokemon B&W: Kyurem Vs. The Sacred Swordsman - Keldeo :: July :: 489.86 :: 351 :: Toho
13 :: ¥500.93 / $6.34 :: The Avengers :: Aug. :: 326.11 :: 844 :: Disney
14 :: ¥468.70 / $5.81 :: SPEC: The Movie :: Apr. :: 351.47 :: 279 :: Toho
15 :: ¥432.55 / $5.40 :: Thermae Romae :: Apr. :: 325.69 :: 304 :: Toho
16 :: ¥410.04 / $5.16 :: Kamen Rider x Super Sentei: Super Hero Taisen :: Apr. :: 355.99 :: 292 :: TOEI
17 :: ¥405.07 / $5.10 :: The Floating Castle :: Nov. :: 323.22 :: 328 :: Toho/Asmik Ace
18 :: ¥404.53 / $5.07 :: Dark Shadows :: May :: 311.16 :: 571 :: Warner Bros.
19 :: ¥399.53 / $5.05 :: Rurouni Kenshin :: Aug. :: 295.32 :: 327 :: Warner Bros.
20 :: ¥382.32 / $4.87 :: Space Brothers :: May :: 285.34 :: 322 :: Toho
21 :: ¥378.03 / $4.84 :: Kamen Rider × Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: War Mega Max :: Dec '11 :: 333.13 :: 301 :: TOEI
22 :: ¥372.02 / $4.75 :: The Dark Knight Rises :: July :: 269.17 :: 546 :: Warner Bros.
23 :: ¥365.15 / $4.67 :: The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki :: July :: 276.33 :: 381 :: Toho
24 :: ¥316.31 / $4.08 :: K-ON! The Movie :: Dec '11 :: 237.82 :: 137 :: Shochiku
25 :: ¥314.89 / $3.97 :: We Were There: Part II :: Apr. :: 242.92 :: 297 :: Asmik Ace/Toho
26 :: ¥314.70 / $3.96 :: Liar Game: Reborn :: Mar. :: 242.19 :: 318 :: Toho
27 :: ¥313.66 / $3.95 :: Glow of Fireflies :: June :: 242.82 :: 316 :: Toho
28 :: ¥303.35 / $3.87 :: Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows :: Mar. :: 237.98 :: 464 :: Warner Bros.
29 :: ¥302.49 / $3.84 :: Prometheus :: Aug. :: 200.18 :: 768 :: FOX
30 :: ¥302.08 / $3.81 :: Naruto: Path to Ninja :: July :: 254.03 :: 262 :: Toho
31 :: ¥301.78 / $3.80 :: Snow White and the Huntsman :: June :: 234.87 :: 572 :: Toho-Towa
32 :: ¥298.85 / $3.79 :: Holy Scripture of Evil :: Nov. :: 215.06 :: 309 :: Toho
33 :: ¥295.31 / $3.75 :: We Were There: Part I :: Mar. :: 227.24 :: 295 :: Asmik Ace/Toho
34 :: ¥292.16 / $3.68 :: Battleship :: Apr. :: 237.87 :: 545 :: Toho-Towa
35 :: ¥279.24 / $3.67 :: Outrage 2: Beyond :: Oct. :: 206.61 :: 225 :: Warner Bros.
36 :: ¥277.13 / $3.63 :: In Time :: Feb. :: 203.05 :: 427 :: FOX
37 :: ¥276.41 / $3.62 :: Shizanmono: The Movie :: Jan. :: 217.18 :: 377 :: Toho
38 :: ¥254.17 / $3.25 :: Kamen Rider Fourze: Everyone, Space is Here! :: Aug. :: 217.66 :: 304 :: TOEI

The 2012 Box Office Year is over so the Opening Weekend Chart is finalized.

-KEY-
New Entry
Indicates a film still in release or being tracked.
Days in Release: TE (Temporary Estimate) / OE (Official Estimate) / FT (Final Total)

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

2013 Box Office Charts
As of Sunday, 12/16:

Top Grossing Films
Rank :: Revenue ¥ (billion) / $ (million) :: Title :: Release :: Admissions (million) :: Days In Release :: Distributor
01 :: ¥1.55 / $18.82 (3.41x) :: 007: Skyfall :: Dec '12 :: 1.24 :: 16 :: Sony
02 :: ¥1.37 / $16.74 (0.00x) :: One Piece Film Z :: Dec '12 :: 1.14 :: 2 :: Toei
03 :: ¥0.591 / $7.14 (2.62x) :: Today, I Started Loving You :: Dec '12 :: 0.491 :: 9 :: Toho
04 :: ¥0.528 / $6.38 (2.26x) :: Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard :: Dec '12 :: 0.479 :: 9 :: Toei
05 :: ¥0.376 / $4.45 (2.17x) :: Inazuma Eleven Go! Vs. Danball Senkei W :: Dec '12 :: 0.363 :: 16 :: Toho
06 :: ¥0.292 / $3.49 (0.00x) :: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey :: Dec '12 :: 0.199 :: 3 :: Warner Bros.
07 :: ¥0.206 / $2.49 (0.00x) :: Humanoid Monster, Bem :: Dec '12 :: 0.175 :: 2 :: Toho
08 :: ¥0.112 / $1.35 (0.00x) :: Frankenweenie :: Dec '12 :: 0.081 :: 2 :: Disney
09 :: ¥0.041 / $0.50 (2.15x) :: Yokohama Arena 5.20 1991 :: Dec '12 :: 0.035 :: TE :: Toho Video Division
10 :: ¥0.021 / $0.26 (0.00x) :: The Woman in Black :: Dec '12 :: 0.019 :: TE :: Broad Media Studios
11 :: ¥0.015 / $0.18 (0.00x) :: Salmon Fishing in Yemen :: Dec '12 :: 0.013 :: TE :: Gaga

Notes:
One Piece Film Z easily exceeded ¥1 billion after two days and is the first film in 5 years to reach 1 million admissions in two days as well (other records are posted in earlier posts). It likely passed Skyfall on Monday or Tuesday at the latest and will now pull way ahead aiming for ¥6 billion ($75 million) and remain in first until probably late-Summer or Fall when Studio Ghibli releases their double feature.

Skyfall breaks ¥1.5 billion after three weeks.

Today, I Started Loving You passes Kamen Rider despite the lower opening weekend last week.

Top Opening Weekends (2-Days ONLY)
Rank :: Revenue ¥ (million) / $ (million) :: Title :: Release :: Admissions (thousand) :: Screen Count :: Distributor
01 :: ¥1,372.1 / $16.74 :: One Piece Film Z :: Dec '12 :: 1,140.1 :: 300 :: Toei
02 :: ¥454.64 / $5.56 :: 007: Skyfall :: Dec '12 :: 398.8 :: 584 :: Sony
03 :: ¥281.64 / $3.44 :: Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Fourze & Wizard :: Dec '12 :: 244.9 :: 298 :: Toei
04 :: ¥225.32 / $2.75 :: Today, I Started Loving You :: Dec '12 :: 188.4 :: 301 :: Toho
05 :: ¥220.51 / $2.66 :: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey :: Dec '12 :: 146.3 :: 878 :: Warner Bros.
06 :: ¥206.33 / $2.49 :: Humanoid Monster, Bem :: Dec '12 :: 175.4 :: 331 :: Toho

07 :: ¥173.56 / $2.12 :: Inazuma Eleven Go! Vs. Danball Senkei W :: Dec '12 :: 172.2 :: 268 :: Toho
08 :: ¥111.81 / $1.35 :: Frankenweenie :: Dec '12 :: 80.9 :: 489 :: Disney
09 :: ¥21.22 / $0.26 :: The Woman in Black :: Dec '12 :: 18.8 :: 110 :: Broad Media Studios
10 :: ¥15.35 / $0.19 :: Yokohama Arena 5.20 1991 :: Dec '12 :: 12.6 :: 66 :: Toho Video Division
11 :: ¥14.69 / $0.18 :: Salmon Fishing in Yemen :: Dec '12 :: 12.9 :: 61 :: Gaga

Notes:
One Piece Film Z easily exceeded ¥1 billion after two days and became the biggest opener in over 5 years, and it's also the first film in over 5 years to reach 1 million admissions in two days (other records are posted in earlier posts). It's very unlikely we'll see a film open this big in many years.

The Hobbit more than disappoints and becomes one of the biggest, if not the biggest (depending on legs), bombs of all-time. It's opening wouldn't even have cracked the Top 40 in 2012.

Key:
Top Grossing Films: In Release
Top Opening Weekends: Debut
Following Tracking: TE (Temporary Estimate) / OE (Official Estimate) / FT (Final Total)

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Theater Counts (Wide Releases)

12/21, Les Miserables [348]
12/22, Ooku: The Inner Chambers 2 [308]

Next Week:
12/28, Blue Exorcist: The Movie [183]
12/28, Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 [147]

Les Miserables is expected to do very well here being a very popular musical (probably only behind Phantom of the Opera) and having a popular cast that includes favorites Jackman, Bohnam Carter, and Hathaway. The film had it's premiere in Tokyo yesterday. And with The Hobbit bombing, it's likely to be Hollywood's biggest release this New Year besting Skyfall.

And as for The Hobbit, it's losing 29% of it's showtimes at Toho Cinemas (largest chain in the country) this weekend. A very severe drop.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:21 pm
Profile WWW
Waitress in LA

Any Wednesday estiimates?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 952  Next