Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618 ... 952  Next
 Japan Box-Office: On Hiatus 
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Japan Box-Office: Demon Slayer Obliterating Record Books
The weekend landed right when I was predicting on Friday (between ¥1-1.1 billion), nearly matching the ¥1.030 billion I estimated with ¥1.032 billion. And the total up to Sunday was nearly spot on as well, ¥25.46 billion (actual) vs. ¥25.45 billion (my estimate).

I'll share the daily forecast for this week tomorrow.

I shared what the giveaway is going to be this upcoming weekend on the last page, and that's why I'm expecting an increase next weekend (or at the very least, a flat result). It's going to be a hugely sought after item among its millions of core fans, and with "just" 1 million available, you can certainly bet they're going to swamp theaters on Saturday.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:38 am
Profile WWW

Hi guys. Do you have any idea how much is the average ticket price during Titanic's and Spirited Away's release in Japan vs now for Demon Slayer? Thanks. :sweat: :funny:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:32 am
Star Trek XI

czarhans wrote:
Hi guys. Do you have any idea how much is the average ticket price during Titanic's and Spirited Away's release in Japan vs now for Demon Slayer? Thanks. :sweat: :funny:

Titanic: 1,556
Spirit Away: 1,310
Demon Slayer: 1,336

Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:42 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

czarhans wrote:

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:02 am
Speed Racer

Japan would have university entrance exams on January wonder if it would affect December or January box office

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:05 am
Full Fledged Member

Spirited Away was 1294, 304/2350.
The box office was updated to 308 but the addmission wasn't updated

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:18 am
Star Trek XI

So first day with less than 100k admits on day 40.

About 25-30% weekly drop depending on how the later shows go. Looks like 55k so far.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:52 am
Star Trek XI

I'm too lazy to look at each perivous page (lol) but I remember Corpse made a comment about what are the requirements for a movie to break the 15B yen, 20B yen, 25B yen,... as these milestone are very hard to achieve even with lots of advertisement throuh many ways and perfect visual effect.
A movie with only lots of advertisements and great visual effect can somehow pass the 15B yen milestone but to reach 20B yen, it needs something more relating to people in society,......... and not to mention that 25B yen, lol.
And 15B yen is really not a small number for a movie in this market. It is a very big number and target for movie in general.
For example, Avatar, a movie with perfect visual effect + 3D effect was at its peak with lots of advertisements back then, "only grossed" 15.5B yen in the market....

Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:58 am
Star Trek XI

charlie jat wrote:

About 25-30% weekly drop depending on how the later shows go. Looks like 55k so far.

is it normal for a movie after a holiday day or it needs to do better? :yummy:

Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:09 am
Star Trek XI

Alo12345 wrote:
charlie jat wrote:

is it normal for a movie after a holiday day or it needs to do better? :yummy:

I don't know about Japan, but everywhere else, latter in run day after holiday has bigger drop because Holiday drives people who might have watched film on following days to the Holiday.

Besides, don't read much into daily drops too much.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:06 am
Wall-E

26% drop considering it's a tuesday after holiday monday and loss of screens seems fine to me.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

A 26% Tues.-to-Tues. drop is great coming off a three-day holiday (Monday) weekend. The morning and afternoon sales appear abnormally strong (was only down 5/10%) because of the holiday spillover. Theaters moved Demon Slayer off their biggest screen, and split the IMAX showings in favor for Doraemon, so many of its showings on Monday afternoon/day were packed (80%+ full) as a result of smaller auditoriums.

Also, the giveaway announcement at noon yesterday could have slowed business a little in the evening. The film is still doing unprecedented numbers even in its sixth week now, but the demand is of course lower than the earlier weeks, so there'll probably be a negative impact on the weekdays before a giveaway weekend moving forward. Fans are going to rush on Saturday to get it, while scalpers will also rush to see it (again) in order to sell them online.

I know I wouldn't be going to see it for the first time or as a repeat viewing on a Tuesday-Friday ahead of a limited-print giveaway that begins Saturday and will be gone in 2/3 days. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday will probably be down 25/30%+ versus last week.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:17 am
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Honestly, it reassures me that the drop today is around 25% as I expected base because when I saw a 3% drop in the morning I said to myself either there is a bug on the numbers or there is a special event on Tuesday which would explain this drop so small. What numbers can we reach by Friday ? Me I'm waiting around ¥26.4Bn- ¥26.5Bn and around 19.9 million admissions and by Sunday some things around ¥27.3Bn- ¥27.4Bn and around 20.6 million admissions.

@Corpse it's the first week of December or there is the release of the last volume of the manga is it ? I hope this will positively impact the box office and that there will be no restrictions for the covid by the next.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:34 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Alo12345 wrote:
I'm too lazy to look at each perivous page (lol) but I remember Corpse made a comment about what are the requirements for a movie to break the 15B yen, 20B yen, 25B yen,... as these milestone are very hard to achieve even with lots of advertisement throuh many ways and perfect visual effect.
A movie with only lots of advertisements and great visual effect can somehow pass the 15B yen milestone but to reach 20B yen, it needs something more relating to people in society,......... and not to mention that 25B yen, lol.
And 15B yen is really not a small number for a movie in this market. It is a very big number and target for movie in general.
For example, Avatar, a movie with perfect visual effect + 3D effect was at its peak with lots of advertisements back then, "only grossed" 15.5B yen in the market....

It's not really a matter of special effects.

¥10 billion is the ultimate goal for tentpoles to reach. It varies by year as it depends on the films themselves in the end, but most years see maybe 2 or 3 ¥10 billion earners. There really isn't any specific requirements that need met to reach this milestone. Not to say it's easy to reach, it's not, it basically just takes enough interest and demand to get there with a favorable release date.

¥15 billion is where it becomes difficult. Anything really over ¥11/12 billion, really, is difficult, not just going all the way to ¥15 billion. Basically this milestone also needs to simply meet the interest and demand level to earn this number, but it also needs something "extra" to get it there. That extra factor can be a variety of things. In Avatar's case, it was 3D that piqued interest throughout its run, and which also inflated its average ticket price, and Cameron's name. In Ponyo's case, it was the Miyazaki/Ghibli brand recognition.

¥20 billion can be considered that phenomenon milestone. Only six films have gotten to this milestone (Demon Slayer being that sixth film). In order to reach this milestone, all the above applies as well, but on top of that, it really needs something outside the realm of film to reach and attract your non-typical moviegoers. A huge presence in a different industry. One of the biggest and most important means of doing this is popular, preferably chart-topping, music. 4/6 films above this milestone all had popular music (Titanic, Your Name., Frozen, and now Demon Slayer). Another is having record book/manga sales, which allows for an advantage early on and allows for a continued effect as it creates a cycle (dude reads books/manga, goes sees movie, goes back to read more of the books/manga, goes back to see movie (Harry Potter 1 and Demon Slayer).

¥25 billion is honestly just icing on the cake. Everything above also applies here, and except for Harry Potter 1 (which barely hit ¥20 billion), all the ¥20 billion films also hit ¥25 billion.

¥30 billion, well, is just more of the same. Only Spirited Away has done it, and it only did so because it won the Best Animated Film Oscar that resulted it in receiving a big expansion in Japan that got it there. It would have finished around ¥29 billion otherwise. So I suppose for this milestone, it needs a... unforeseen event. Spirited Away won Best Animated Film at the Oscars (not too surprising given the competition, but a major accomplishment for a foreign film and for the country). And for Demon Slayer, it's COVID. COVID has absolutely helped it by providing an escape for a lot of people, and with messaging that really resonates with the Japanese people in these times: A time period many older audiences are nostalgic for again, a story to help those who have, or currently are, contemplating suicide (major issue, especially now), and that general "never give up" attitude (this isn't original by any means, but it's highly important right now).

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:57 am
Profile WWW
Child Actor

Hello guys so a couple of days I posted there would be some "Super huge news" about KnY announced in the newest Weekly Shonen Jump (The manga magazine that published it while it was running) I thought for sure it was something about the anime (Be it a second movie or second season) turns out apparently it's just about the release of an art book and a new fanbook.

I say apparently because this is leaked info, the issue will be released officially Sunday 29th, but leaks are usually correct.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:57 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

LPLC wrote:
Honestly, it reassures me that the drop today is around 25% as I expected base because when I saw a 3% drop in the morning I said to myself either there is a bug on the numbers or there is a special event on Tuesday which would explain this drop so small. What numbers can we reach by Friday ? Me I'm waiting around ¥26.4Bn- ¥26.5Bn and around 19.9 million admissions and by Sunday some things around ¥27.3Bn- ¥27.4Bn and around 20.6 million admissions.

@Corpse it's the first week of December or there is the release of the last volume of the manga is it ? I hope this will positively impact the box office and that there will be no restrictions for the covid by the next.

I'll post a daily forecast for the week later today.

The last volume is being released on December 4th.

And don't be worried about COVID. COVID has helped it way more than having caused any potential harm. Testing over weekends is lower than the weekdays, and I don't want to speak too soon, but the case numbers dropped over the weekend, especially in Tokyo. Theaters aren't going to close, 50% capacity restriction at the worst, which just slows it down a bit. And I mean a "bit" because it'll continue to have so many screens and showtimes (likely to get back near/over 1 million seats at the usual locations again this weekend), that it won't cause much of an impact.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:23 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

So the requirement for 30B yen milestone is all things mentioned for above milestones + an unforeseen event.

"COVID has absolutely helped it by providing an escape for a lot of people, and with messaging that really resonates with the Japanese people in these times: A time period many older audiences are nostalgic for again, a story to help those who have, or currently are, contemplating suicide (major issue, especially now), and that general "never give up" attitude (this isn't original by any means, but it's highly important right now)."

This is interesting, can you explain this more. Thank you.

And beside many the external factors required for each big milestone you mentioned above , what are the requirements for internal factor of the movie such as plot, chatacters, movie message,... in order to achieve each of those milestone?

Last edited by Alo12345 on Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:33 am
Child Actor

Corpse is there any possibility of it becoming the highest grossing film of 2020?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_f ... sing_films

That... would be sick lol

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:40 am
Speed Racer

Well being highest grossing flim depend if it get released in china or not also wonder Woman new movie is getting released in China and Japan in December. also how well it do in like in other Asian countries.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:50 am
Speed Racer

But I am sure that it would be in top 5

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:51 am
The Incredible Hulk

and do you think there will be a positive impact on the Demon Slayer box office on December 4th or from December 4th? A positive impact of the same magnitude as the gifts perhaps?

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:52 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

rija wrote:
Corpse is there any possibility of it becoming the highest grossing film of 2020?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_in_f ... sing_films

That... would be sick lol

Not without a release in China. Some members here have said it's too violent/bloody, and their officials have denied it a release. I don't think it can be censored (not really sure how they'd even do this, honestly), so I wouldn't expect a release there for time being. Not saying it's impossible, I don't know the Chinese market very well, but the amount of censoring would just be too much, and effectively eliminate the most important moments in the film.

Here is the International thread, by the way:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87522

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:53 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

LPLC wrote:
and do you think there will be a positive impact on the Demon Slayer box office on December 4th or from December 4th? A positive impact of the same magnitude as the gifts perhaps?

I expect the manga-only readers will probably go see it for their first time (not necessary to finish the series to see the movie though) OR more likely as a repeat viewing, but I wouldn't expect a similar boost as the giveaways. The difference is with the giveaway, you receive something in return for seeing the film.

I'll reply to you soon, Alo12345.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

I think that in future demon slayer would get prequel
or maybe sequel seeing it's popularity

Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Alo12345 wrote:
So the requirement for 30B yen milestone is all things mentioned for above milestones + an unforeseen event.

"COVID has absolutely helped it by providing an escape for a lot of people, and with messaging that really resonates with the Japanese people in these times: A time period many older audiences are nostalgic for again, a story to help those who have, or currently are, contemplating suicide (major issue, especially now), and that general "never give up" attitude (this isn't original by any means, but it's highly important right now)."

This is interesting, can you explain this more. Thank you.

And beside many the external factors required for each big milestone you mentioned above , what are the requirements for internal factor of the movie such as plot, chatacters, movie message,...

Point one: I'd say yes now that we'll soon have two films, not just one, above ¥30 billion.

For your last part of your post: Well, a generally strong reception by audiences and critics always helps, more so from a strong audience reception. There are many examples of critic favorites not doing well, or being frontloaded, so the audience scores are a lot more important. Films with emotional plots usually do well (a lot of bigger films have emotional, bittersweet type stories and characters). Films with strong family/sibling relationships typically perform well. And films with positive, do your best type of messaging do well. This doesn't mean the film itself needs to be purely positive, but if the characters or story centers around this message it can still be surrounding by more negative or sad elements.

As for the bolded part: Suicide has been a big issue in Japan for many, many years, and with COVID now, it's becoming even more of a concern. Suicide deaths are higher than COVID deaths recently. One of the biggest contributors to the high suicide rate is high expectations. From very early ages, pressure is placed upon the Japanese to meet the expectations of their parents, their teachers, and their future bosses or executives. This isn't exclusive to Japan or anything, it's just that Japan is a society where this plays a much bigger role in people's lives.

Demon Slayer does a very good job at encouraging people of all generations to not give up, and throughout its story (that I've read so far), and especially in this arc that the film adapted, it takes a more central part of the story. Without spoiling anything, the main character questions whether his actions have been good enough to continue living (which many Japanese do), and suicide is referenced. And again, not posting spoilers, there's another part where the character recognizes that he's not good enough, but that doesn't mean you have to stop living and trying your best (again, this really resonates with the Japanese). Demon Slayer excels very well at delivering this life and death messaging, and with the added stress that COVID has put on people on top of their already stressful lifestyle, the manga and now movie is really helping a lot of people.

And finally, on a bit of a lighter note, this series takes place in the Taisho Period in Japan, which a lot of the older generation is nostalgic for as it was a more peaceful, simpler period that occurred between two difficult periods.

Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23787 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 612, 613, 614, 615, 616, 617, 618 ... 952  Next