Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 121  Next
 Production Budgets 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: Production Budgets
With its 11mln budget Alien was anything but a "small 70s horror movie".

Thu May 17, 2012 3:28 am
The Wall

So a tentpole release means throwing away money left and right? It's not the comparison problem, Hollwood has become so inefficient when it comes to budgets. They waste money everywhere. The caterers are probably catered to too. Hey, people need to eat!

Thu May 17, 2012 3:28 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

$65m DICTATOR

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/d ... hen-325758

Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Magnus wrote:
That's a big jump from 250m. Hopefully its accurate so the chances of a sequel are high.

Fox is known for going cheap, I doubt they spent 250m unless it went wildly overbudget and Ridley used his influence to block studio interference.

And it makes perfect sense for this to cost a lot more than Alien's adjusted price...the scope is much bigger. Alien was a claustrophobic horror film; this has scenes on Earth (on location?), CGI landscapes, big space ships exploding, etc.

Thu May 17, 2012 5:19 am
Pure Phase

be.redy wrote:
The caterers are probably catered to too. Hey, people need to eat!

Ah, the be.redy answer to conserving money: don't feed the caterers. They are replaceable.

"Why not...the script girl?!"
"Eh, I'll eat her later."

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu May 17, 2012 10:31 am
I heet the canadian!

Magnus wrote:
That's a big jump from 250m. Hopefully its accurate so the chances of a sequel are high.
It seems the confusion arose because Ridley Scott initially wanted to do two films with a combined $250 million budget.

Thu May 17, 2012 1:47 pm
Extraordinary

$170m SW&TH

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... ?track=rss

Thu May 31, 2012 5:15 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Assuming a hefty marketing budget, SWATH will likely need $500m+ WW to break-even by boxoffice receipts.

I was blind, but now I see.

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:56 pm
Forum General

$130M Prometheus
$145M Madagascar 3

Link - http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... ?track=rss

Great budget control for both especially Prometheus.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That is a good budget for Prometheus from the initial numbers. Mad3 also has a great number. With these numbers I am confident both will make out their budgets. Happy that Prometheus could see a sequel given that the OS takings are already strong.

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Fox is good with budgets, unlike Universal (I mean, Battleship cost more than any of the Transformers movies).

Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:07 am
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Fox is good perhaps but Ridley generally isn't. Keeping him in check is a big achievement.

Looking at the footage it is flat-out insane that this was apparently $70 million cheaper than Robin fucking Hood.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:50 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Fox is good perhaps but Ridley generally isn't. Keeping him in check is a big achievement.

Looking at the footage it is flat-out insane that this was apparently $70 million cheaper than Robin fucking Hood.

Green screen/studio filming is cheaper than location, no?

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

be.redy wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus wrote:

Green screen/studio filming is cheaper than location, no?

But THAT much cheaper (and it also had about 1,000 more effects shots I suppose)?

Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:50 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Robin Hood had a lot of extras though. They needed food, drink, etc... That drains the budget a lot. I don't see its budget that unreasonable. Especially compared to some other similar movies.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Robin Hood had a big variety of outdoor locations with large sets and thousands of extras. Prometheus has only a dozen actors, mostly just talking in indoor sets.

I would imagine that the shooting schedule was much shorter, and there was much less money drainage every day. Despite epic SFX shots that bring scale, it's a smaller and more intimate movie, than Robin Hood.

Ridley is a visual perfectionist, which is why his budgets tends to balloon. He wants to create functional, visually impressive imaginary worlds, and he wants everything in the frame *exactly* right, starting from tiniest details. Much like Cameron. There are no shortcuts with these guys, which is both a blessing and a curse.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:18 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Prometheus cost more than the budget Fox put out and they're playing damage control. We really don't often have strong ways of verifying these things do we?

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:33 pm

MovieDude wrote:
Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if Prometheus cost more than the budget Fox put out and they're playing damage control. We really don't often have strong ways of verifying these things do we?

Strong ways? Do we have any ways? Just getting budget numbers in the first place isn't a given, confirming those provided is pretty much impossible.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:09 pm
It's a conspiracy.

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:31 pm
Indiana Jones IV

MovieDude wrote:

Well, the same is true of every single movie out there. If we always suspect that the numbers have been fiddled to a great degree, it's pointless to even talk about them. We might as well say that we have no idea how much movies cost in general. All mentions of budgets and P/A costs in this thread and others would become pointless.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Tuukka wrote:
MovieDude wrote:

Well, the same is true of every single movie out there. If we always suspect that the numbers have been fiddled to a great degree, it's pointless to even talk about them. We might as well say that we have no idea how much movies cost in general. All mentions of budgets and P/A costs in this thread and others would become pointless.

Taken to it's logical extreme, sure. I just remember when the budget was rumored to be 250 million, which is much more in line with Ridley Scott and movies with this many effects. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it's not a terribly implausible theory.

As for evaluating movies by benchmarks reported by their own corporate makers, any point is entirely subjective.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:38 am
Pure Phase

I don't blame MovieDude for speculating in this case. The movie is lavish from first frame to last, and Ridley Scott is a known perfectionist of the Kubrick/Mann/Fincher school. And those reports from the set, now collected on the film's Wikipedia page: "expanding the 007 set at Pinewood by over thirty percent," "principal photography extended to September," "shooting on location in Iceland and Jordan and Spain," etc. If the film was truly completed for 120 million, it almost seems a miracle.

I s'pose they did save on star salaries. You don't see Leo DiCaprio or Russell Crowe or Denzel in this one.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

$250m could have included marketing budget WW, the movie was heavily marketed by Fox. But yeah $120m is like a great budget but then again the whole movie seems to be shot on a single set except for a few starting sequences.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 pm
Pure Phase

The Prometheus has many rooms--personal quarters, medical bay, etc.--and then there are the tunnels, the "throne room" with the giant sculpted face, etc.

Just very surprising Ridley Scott delivered a sci-fi epic for 30 million less than The Wolfman and Abrams' Star Trek, 20 million less than Captain America, etc.

If it is true, though, then great. Easier to turn a profit and get the sequel greenlit.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm
Extraordinary

$75m Rock of Ages
$70m That's My Boy

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 1431.story

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 121  Next