Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 1389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next
 Russia Box-Office Thread 

Which country will lead the International market in 2012?
& CIS 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
United Kingdom 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Japan 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
South Korea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
France 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Germany 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
China 42%  42%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 52

Russia Box-Office Thread 
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: RUSSIA & CIS Watch
So far South Korea is the top international market with $828 (showbizdata), but for some reason their top list looks like this:

Top 5 Countries 2008
Country Rec. Adm. Est. Adm Rec. Gross Est. Gross Share Releases
United States 546 546 $4008 $4008 36.0% 246
France 111 136 $697 $806 7.2% 186
United Kingdom 83 102 $650 $752 6.8% 173
Japan 50 61 $563 $651 5.8% 93
Germany 65 80 $416 $481 4.3% 154

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 pm
Cream of the Crop

Box wrote:
Well, it seems that the $1B+ markets don't really register consistent growth, so Russia should have no problem surpassing them in the next few years. Countries like South Korea and Italy are too small to catch up.

And China's and India's markets seem to be a mess :nerd:

True, but still Italy managed to make $535 so far, which is also impressive.

For some reason they don't even track Russia, China and India...

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:53 pm
Extraordinary

That must be a typo for South Korea. I looked at the info for the 2008 films there at BOM, and if you total the weekend figures and multiply it by 1.4 to get weekly totals, that's less than $400m.

There's nothing in South Korea which was big enough to give it a $800m total as of now.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Back to Russia: Rump, how much do you expect Wall-E to make there?

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

It's kinda weird that the biggest film of all time in Japan was only seen by 1/6 of the population. That would only get you about $350m here in the U.S. Nothing to sneeze at of course, but not even close to Titanic.

Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Jiffy208 wrote:
It's kinda weird that the biggest film of all time in Japan was only seen by 1/6 of the population. That would only get you about $350m here in the U.S. Nothing to sneeze at of course, but not even close to Titanic.

Quote:
Nonetheless, Japanese are not especially avid moviegoers. A comparison with other countries will show what I mean. In 2006, theater attendance in the U.S. was 1.4 billion. Since the population of the U.S. is around 280 million people, dividing population by attendance means an American goes to the movies about 5 times a year. In contrast, theater attendance in Japan last year was a little over 160 million, which, when divided by Japan’s population of slightly less than 130 million, is less than 1.3 times a year per person. The data for South Korea, a country where film is said to be doing better than in Japan, is from two years ago and shows attendance of 143 million, which means that Koreans goes to the movies 2.94 times or just under 3 times a year. Japanese go to the movies around 1.3 times a year, while Koreans goes about 3 times a year. In other words, Japanese just don’t go to the movies that often.

So the avg person in Japan only sees 1 movie a year pretty much.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Box wrote:
That must be a typo for South Korea. I looked at the info for the 2008 films there at BOM, and if you total the weekend figures and multiply it by 1.4 to get weekly totals, that's less than $400m.

There's nothing in South Korea which was big enough to give it a $800m total as of now.

Yeah, you are right. I summed up BOM 2008 totals in Excel and it gives me $431 m...

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:01 am
Extraordinary

Jiffy208 wrote:

Here's the funny thing: given that ticket prices really haven't changed much in a decade or two (add like a buck), had a film come out in Japan in 1997/1998 and attracted as large an audience in proportion to the overall population as Titanic did in North America, that film's total would have been...$550m.

Tickets in Japan would have been around double America's back then, compensating for the disparity in population.

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Corpse wrote:
Jiffy208 wrote:

Quote:
Nonetheless, Japanese are not especially avid moviegoers. A comparison with other countries will show what I mean. In 2006, theater attendance in the U.S. was 1.4 billion. Since the population of the U.S. is around 280 million people, dividing population by attendance means an American goes to the movies about 5 times a year. In contrast, theater attendance in Japan last year was a little over 160 million, which, when divided by Japan’s population of slightly less than 130 million, is less than 1.3 times a year per person. The data for South Korea, a country where film is said to be doing better than in Japan, is from two years ago and shows attendance of 143 million, which means that Koreans goes to the movies 2.94 times or just under 3 times a year. Japanese go to the movies around 1.3 times a year, while Koreans goes about 3 times a year. In other words, Japanese just don’t go to the movies that often.

So the avg person in Japan only sees 1 movie a year pretty much.

America's population in 2006 was over 300m. It was over 280 in 2000 as well. Bad data :sleep:

In general, that's a terribly written paragraph. Must be a teenager...

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Box wrote:
Back to Russia: Rump, how much do you expect Wall-E to make there?

Pixar's popularity is nothing close to Dreamworks', for some unknown reason. Rat managed to do $11.3, which was super great, and somewhat opened the brand for the larger audience. I expect Pixar's popularity to grow further. I think the market is still in good mood for animated pics, after Panda's whoping $21.9 (and counting). Wall-E will have less competition than Rat, and I think it has even broader appeal. So I expect at least around $16-18 million, maybe 20+.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:10 am
je vois l'avenir

What big local films are left to be released this year?

Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:22 am
Cream of the Crop

Misutaa Supaakoru wrote:
What big local films are left to be released this year?

Not many, really. There's a movie with Konstantin Khabensky (Night and Day Watch) called "Admiral", a big-budgeted ($16 m) bioepic about Kolchak, naval commander, who participated in several Arctic expeditions, Russo-Japanese war, WWI, and then became a leader of White movement (against bolsheviks) during the Civil War. The premise sounds solid and pretty intense, likely filled with many f/x episodes. Konstantin Ernst, the CEO of Channel One is the producer, so we can expect a monstrous TV ad campaign + there's few other famous actors in it. Should do well.
Then there's a strange movie "By the Will of Ghenghis Khan" with Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, a big-budgeted ($10 m) epic. Most likely unrelated to Mongol.
There's also overstarpowered high-concept superspy comedy of absurd "Hitler kaput" about the Russian spy and the nazis. Can be pretty big.
And a computer animated folk family fantasy "Adventures of Alyenushka and Yeryema", helmed by the director of "Dyatlovs" (our computer-animated series, answer to Simpsons and Family Guy). Based on the success of previous movies in that line, could gross some big bucks.

There's a few mediocre action films, which may gross something.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:23 am
Cream of the Crop

And also some real biggies are all scheduled for December.

Antikiller 3, criminal action movie, sequel of the very first big local 'blockbusters'. Will be big as hell. Stars here. I see $15 m

Sci-fi action movie Inhabited Island (budget of $16 m, they will market this as hell), adapted from a novel of biggest Russian sci-fi writers, helmed by the director of Company 9. Stars, stars, stars all over the place. I see $20-25 m, may be $30+ if it is really cool. And it's the first part only.

Lyubov-Morkov 2, sequel to supersuccessful female-oriented high-concept comedy. Stars here. I see $15-20 m

Sapsan, computer animated picture about falcon, pigeons and football, voiced by stars (Khabensky in the title role). I see around 10 million here.

Both Lyubov-Morkov 2 and Sapsan will be released in the final week of the year, which will give them a chance to stay big during the following 10 days of national Holidays.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:44 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

What the hell is CIS?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:47 am
Extraordinary

Munk·E wrote:
What the hell is CIS?

The former KGB. That's what they're called now. And they're coming for you tonight.

Goodbye Munk-E, it was fun knowing you. :whistle:

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:49 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

What the hell is KGB?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:50 am
Extraordinary

Munk·E wrote:
What the hell is KGB?

You will find out tonight. I hope you can take it like a man.

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:50 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Take what like a man?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:51 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Munk·E wrote:
Take what like a man?

He meant Bitch Boy.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:56 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Take what like a bitch boy?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:57 am
Extraordinary

Commonwealth of Independent States, bitch. Can you handle it?

MadGez wrote:

Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:59 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Apparently not :tears:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:00 am
Cream of the Crop

I've just noticed a strange release scheduled on January 1, 2009, best release date of the year. It is called "a surprise movie from CP". CP is Central Partnership, a distribution company. And a surprise movie might turn out to be Nasha Russia, or Our Russia (that would be the only logical explanation), full-length adaptation of a uber-popular TV sketch-show, loved by millions. If true, this will be the Very Best Film's opening record breaker. If it is good and will be well-marketed, we might see some super big bucks. Again, if it is really Nasha Russia.

The show is basically made by two guys (plus few more) playing stereotypical characters (guestworkers from South, gay plant worker in love with his straight boss, couch potato talking to TV, homeless guys who live on a dump near the village of millionaires, corrupt politicians, teenagers trying to do adult stuff, teacher who cheats on rich kids, evil waitress, a policeman and a prostitute working on the road next to each other, a policeman who doesn't take bribes and his family lives in poverty, etc).

Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:12 am
Cream of the Crop

Nikita Mikhalkov (12, Burnt by the sun, Barber of Siberia) is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous and envious that he is not #1 Russian director both domestically and internationally anymore, that he's scratching his own balls. He just said that the previous Bekmambetov's picture Irony of Fate 2 is weak: ~"why thinking that people are idiots and making this a really big event of domestic movie industry?", "I don't want to say anything bad about the movie, but let's face it. They are good, nice, sweet people. But it's a weak picture". When they reminded him of its $50+ million grosses, he said "Where are these 50 million coming from? You just calculate how much was the hidden advertising of this picture on TV channels. This is unfair, it's cheating."

The last comment is especially strange to hear from him. This is a guy who filmed Barber of Siberia for around $40 million (from $35 to 50, est), when the yearly total box-office was $20-35 million (how the hell that can be, a super expensive movie that cannot possibly make its costs back by any means - a 100% known flop). The thing is that in the 1990s there was a tax shelter scheme of some sort, which let producers get money from the state without returning it. This is also the guy who heads the country's Union of moviemakers for God knows how long and who settled all of his kids, family members, friends, relatives, friends of relatives, relatives of friends, friends of relatives of friends, relatives of friends of friends of relatives all over the place. This is an artful spider, who tied his massive web around the whole movie industry, so that now he can appoint anyone on any position, get any kind of money and support, place appropriate people on Oscar consideration board (you'll be surprised to know how many times a movie made by a person from his Clan was chosen - him, his brother or friend of family most of the time), get all kinds of awards that he wants. And he declined Putin's offer to become Minister of Culture (I guess he was just afraid that it's too public position for him and some of his deeds might go public as well)... And who talks about cheating now??? Give me a 4%cking break!

And he didn't like Wanted because it's ideological and makes Serbs enemies of the world (yeah, pro-American, pro-Kosovo, anti-Serbian agenda...we all know that). And when Bekmambetov was on Moscow Festival, Mikhalkov didn't greet him. Now I see why: the old fox is just jealous that people like Bekmambetov more, and that Timur now is on the top, and he's not a guy from the clan, moreover, he'll do better outside of the clan. I never liked this guy. He's a capable filmmaker and talented actor/director/producer, but he is just a rotten person and a corrupt businessman (I mean, how the hell happened that he owns a personal fortune of $40 million when none of his films were that big???).

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:50 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Fantastic thread!! :thumbsup: Thanks, youve answered my question from the other thread.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 1389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next