Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 1389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 56  Next
 Russia Box-Office Thread 

Which country will lead the International market in 2012?
& CIS 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
United Kingdom 31%  31%  [ 16 ]
Japan 19%  19%  [ 10 ]
South Korea 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
France 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Germany 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
China 42%  42%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 52

Russia Box-Office Thread 
You must have big rats

Post Re: RUSSIA & CIS Watch
None of them really enjoys the same status as Irony of Fate, though.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

Rumpelschtiltzchen wrote:
Misutaa Supaakoru wrote:
My mom loves that film...was it ever released in the US? I can't find much about it.

Not surprised... That's a totally moms' movie. :lol: Women just die crying. It was a direct prerequisite to Slave Isaura (remember this one? t.

I just asked my mom, and she does.lol.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:25 pm
je vois l'avenir

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Irony of Fate is probably the most famous thing ever. It won't die since every year they show it. My parents watch it every year - I think they show it on Channel 1..

Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:29 pm
Cream of the Crop

Dr. Lecter wrote:

Actually, all of Ryazanov's pictures have big cult status, since he's the biggest "people's" director (right there with Gaidai) and everybody has seen his films multiple times. I think Workplace Romance would be his next biggest beloved thing after Irony of Fate (and his biggest theatrical success - 58.4 million admissions). If they make a sequel - I'm sure it can be as huge as Irony 2. Everybody will rush to see it for the old star cast. It sounds like a sure thing - we just need somebody to realize this opportunity.

I think Irony of Fate is shown at least 5 times on different channels throughout the holiday season.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:59 pm
Cream of the Crop

Here's some interesting and unusual thing about Hancock. Nice localization. :thumbsup:

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:50 pm
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: RUSSIA & CIS Watch: Leading the KJ Global Club
OMFG!!!
HANCOCK is a MONSTER!!! $11.7 m weekend! That's absolutely crazy!
Will Smith is super big star here, but still the best-case scenario I considered was $7-9 m opening closer to the I am Legend's total. Now it knocks out Wanted from the 4th best opening of all-time (we'll see what's the final number in Ukraine - may be Shrek 3 will also fall from its 3rd place). Now we are looking at $25 million total. That's a truly amazing Summer! We already have 2 $20+ million grossers (Panda and Wanted) with Hancock becoming the 3rd one next week (and after Hancock's gross I'm really scared how much Mummy 3, the sequel of the 2001 year b/o champion, can take - so that's a potential 4th $20+million grosser).

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:36 pm
Cream of the Crop

OK, they slightly underestimated Hancock. It's $11.77 w/o Ukraine.

So, here's the Biggest openings of all-time in CIS:

1. The Very Best Film $17.82
2. Pirates: AWE $15.62
3. Shrek 3 $13.19
4. Hancock $12.7 (updated)
5. Wanted $11.35
6. Pirates: DMC $10.3
7. Irony of Fate 2 $10.25
8. Indiane Jones 4 $9.11
9. Kung Fu Panda $9.06
10. Spider-man 3 $8.48

So this means that we got 6 out of 10 best openers in the last 7 months!

And the thing I want to mention is, that Ukraine's portion dropped significantly thanks to anti-people revanchist law requiring to dub films in Ukrainian (while Russian is spoken by the majority of the population as everyday language, with Eastern and Southern parts being almost all Russian-speaking). The recent underperformance of Wanted was explained by the officials as "Ukrainian audience likes violent films much less than Russians" - sure, we are violent bastards. I'm looking forward to see the yearly b/o data.

Last edited by Mr. R on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:44 pm
Cream of the Crop

Yeah, and I totally hate to say that, guys, but Wall-E's 2nd weekend fell below Rat's ($1.76 Vs $1.87) after a bigger opening, mainly because Hancock sent it to knock out occupying all the screens. However, I expect it to stabilize a bit and hopefully make it to $14 m total.
On the other hand, Meet Dave did $1.2 m w/o Ukraine - PTA is not very encouraging, but the number is still big.

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 pm
Indiana Jones IV

And the thing I want to mention is, that Ukraine's portion dropped significantly thanks to anti-people revanchist law requiring to dub films in Ukrainian (while Russian is spoken by the majority of the population as everyday language, with Eastern and Southern parts being almost all Russian-speaking). The recent underperformance of Wanted was explained by the officials as "Ukrainian audience likes violent films much less than Russians" - sure, we are violent bastards. I'm looking forward to see the yearly b/o data.

Such measures of Ukrainian authorities reduced box office potential at least by 20-30%. It's worth to mention also that quality of dubbing is very low and sometimes people are more laughing at numerous mistakes in translation and bad dubbing than jokes in the movie. That's why some recent comedies were doing pretty good in Ukraine.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:06 am
Cream of the Crop

almost famous wrote:

Such measures of Ukrainian authorities reduced box office potential at least by 20-30%. It's worth to mention also that quality of dubbing is very low and sometimes people are more laughing at numerous mistakes in translation and bad dubbing than jokes in the movie. That's why some recent comedies were doing pretty good in Ukraine.

Haha, good point!
Being a Ukrainian on nearly a half, I think it's a pretty funny language on its own, though. :mer:

How much do you think the total would be by the end of the year, and what growth rate we can expect? Is there anywhere accurate yearly numbers?

BTW, when do you have presidential elections?

Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 pm
Indiana Jones IV

How much do you think the total would be by the end of the year, and what growth rate we can expect? Is there anywhere accurate yearly numbers?

I don't see any huge hit this year, so it's quite possible that no one will be able to beat The Very Best Film with about 2.5 mln. Although in a some way our situation is much more favorable to blockbusters than other films. Basically we get less movies in our cinemas because our industry cannot make enough dubbed copies and that means more screens and shows for the big ones. For example I live several blocks from the biggest multiplex in the country (7 screens) which opened last year. Before law restrictions they showed up to 13-15 movies on 7 screens, now only 5-7, sometimes even less.

Last edited by almost famous on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:38 am
All Star Poster

the title to this thread is a bit misleading isnt it? im sure Russia is still lagging behind germany and the UK

Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:14 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Bodrul wrote:
the title to this thread is a bit misleading isnt it? im sure Russia is still lagging behind germany and the UK

I don't see what do you find misleading here. It's called "Leading the KJ Global Club", because it was first to start the recent trend of country-specific threads, and this has nothing to do with the b/o total.

P.S. So, billy, who's going to the movies now? Especially Eastern and Southern part, with the most ethnic Russians and Russian-speakers? Did any groups increase their moviegoing activity? So what can we expect in the next few years? What are the trends that you see?

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:33 pm
You must have big rats

Bodrul wrote:

I don't see what do you find misleading here. It's called "Leading the KJ Global Club", because it was first to start the recent trend of country-specific threads, and this has nothing to do with the b/o total.

Riggs started it.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Bodrul wrote:

Riggs started it.

Riggs started the thread, but not the trend. For some unknown reason his topic existed for couple of years and nobody ever opened the international thread, except the one for Canada. That's not exactly what you call "a trend", when others respond to your call few years after. But once I have created this one, we got China, Germany, Poland and Spain within DAYS, which I don't consider unrelated coincidences. I think that's the trend. To do something first and to make others follow is not the same thing, that's why I say I have started the recent trend, while Riggs has his credit for being the first who opened the country-specific thread.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:28 pm
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Bodrul wrote:

Riggs started it.

Riggs started the thread, but not the trend. For some unknown reason his topic existed for couple of years and nobody ever opened the international thread, except the one for Canada. That's not exactly what you call "a trend", when others respond to your call few years after. But once I have created this one, we got China, Germany, Poland and Spain within DAYS, which I don't consider unrelated coincidences. I think that's the trend. To do something first and to make others follow is not the same thing, that's why I say I have started the recent trend, while Riggs has his credit for being the first who opened the country-specific thread.

Riggs started it. It was just not noticed until late.

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

March 29th 2008 (Austrian thread):

mark66 wrote:
getluv wrote:
then bookmark that site then or put it in the international box office thread like u use too. its unnecessary. Soon we will have threads for every country in the world.

That would be fantastic, I would read each and every one of them...

I should have started the Canadian thread back than... ;)

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Then I must have mistaken 4 threads in a row created within a week after mine for a trend. These 5 threads, including mine, must have been the 2 years delayed response for Riggs' Austria thread, which just suddenly and coincidentally happened shortly after my thread. Probably my logic does not work well these days.
I think this becomes ridiculous...

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:14 pm
Cream of the Crop

It sounds CRAZY, but HELLBOY 2 did a superhot opening of $4.5 million!!! The opening alone TRIPLES the total amount the first one did in 2004. I've never expected this to happen! I mean...the character is absolutely, totally unknown, and the first one was quite far from being a hit. That's absolutely awesome! Not to mention that Hellboy 2 is gonna end up with the one of the highest improvements for the sequel over the original (I should research that, but from the top of my head I can say it should be in the top 5-10 record-setting improvements for any sequel).

Moreover, since Hellboy 2 was able to jump that high, it makes me feel that The Dark Knight could do the same in August, since BB's total in 05 was the same as Hellboy did in 04. Hellboy's gross gives TDK a decent chance for a solid b/o grosses.

BTW, it seems that the yearly total B/O to-date has finally reached $500 million (not including Ukraine). :hahaha: :thumbsup: :noway:

Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:10 am
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: RUSSIA & CIS Watch: HLB2 TRIPLES HLB1! $500 M crossed!
So sad that Wall-E died so soon here - it opened much bigger than Rat, but ends up just a little bit higher than Rat's total. Pixar grows much slower than Dreamworks - the crowd just does not identify Pixar's creations very well, since it's only 1 movie a year. Dreamworks, on the other hand, is a constant hitmaker, which will end the year with 2 $20+ million grossers (Panda and Madagascar 2). It's just a monster - and kids really seem to like it more than Pixar. :tears:

Next week is gonna be interesting since we'll see how big is the nostalgic factor of X-files.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:49 pm