Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Why Jude Law can't open a major movie? 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Why Jude Law can't open a major movie?
I also don't know why........

He is handsome........He is a good actor..........
http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,781386_1_0_,00.html
Law of Attraction
Why Jude Law can't open a major movie. He's got the looks and the chops. What's it all about? by Joshua Rich

There are two things about Jude Law that everyone can agree on. One, he's a terrifically talented actor. Two, he's a terrifically handsome man. But after Alfie's terrifically ugly $6.2 million debut last weekend, there's a third point to consider: Combine those two excellent traits, and you still may not have a Hollywood box office leading man.

Perhaps it's just that the British cad Law plays in Alfie simply doesn't appeal to American audiences. And considering Alfie's incredibly stiff competition (The Incredibles bowed the same weekend to a superpowered $70.5 million), its poor showing shouldn't have been a major surprise. But for some, the failure still came as a shock. Paramount poured millions into marketing Alfie, the movie got decent reviews, and it has performed rather well in the U.K., where it opened Oct. 22. Furthermore, Law, a two-time Oscar nominee featured in six movies this fall, has been popping up everywhere in the U.S. (hosting Saturday Night Live, smoldering on the cover of Vanity Fair) as part of an apparent plan to position him as a leading man.

But maybe that's just not what he is. And maybe that's not such a bad thing.

Desperate to anoint the next Tom or Mel or Harrison or Bruce, Hollywood is forever on the hunt for the Next Big Leading Man — the kind of superstar who can ensure that a film strikes gold in its first weekend, even if the film stinks. ''Jude seemed like the Appointed One because of The Talented Mr. Ripley and Cold Mountain. He was so good in those movies,'' says a Hollywood agent, who notes that looks plus talent do often equal superstardom.

''I don't think Jude perceives himself as a quote-unquote movie star,'' Alfie director Charles Shyer told EW last month. ''I think he perceives himself as an actor, and that's the difference.'' Indeed, Law, 31, has gone out of his way to eschew blockbuster parts, favoring character and ensemble roles helmed by smart directors: Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Mike Nichols, Anthony Minghella, Sam Mendes, and David O. Russell. His next starring role is in Nichols' Closer, a brainy ensemble drama (albeit an ensemble featuring Julia Roberts), and he pops up for a few minutes as Errol Flynn in Scorsese's The Aviator.

''He is a fully qualified character actor in a leading man's body,'' says casting director and producer David Rubin, who worked with Law on The Talented Mr. Ripley and Cold Mountain. ''Jude's interest is much more in being challenged as an actor than in cashing in on a kind of cosmetic appeal that he might have.'' Since he broke out in 1999's Ripley, many of Law's roles have been supporting parts that haven't depended on his looks. In 2002's Road to Perdition, he spooked as a balding, gimpy, yellow-toothed assassin. September's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was more about dazzling visual effects than Law's (or, for that matter, costar Gwyneth Paltrow's) dazzling smile. He is just the narrator in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Law's gorgeous grin hasn't always been enough to woo Stateside moviegoers — even when he plays Americans — since he doesn't fit the usual British-actor paradigms American audiences accept: action star (Sean Connery), serious thespian (Jeremy Irons), bumbling fop (Hugh Grant). ''That whole Alfie persona was a real mistake,'' says another agent, ''because it was a turnoff for guys to see him be, like, 'Oh, I'm so good-looking!' I think a lot of regular guys are like, 'Ech! I don't like this guy.' Especially if their girlfriends are drooling over him.'' Says the actor's publicist, Simon Halls: ''Frankly, all Jude can control is his performance. Alfie was an opportunity to try something totally different, something new. Creatively, it worked.''

In a strange way, Alfie's financial failure may spell success for its star. With less need to prove himself bankable, Law is now free to return to the character roles that got him attention in the first place. Next year, he's slated to play a journalist opposite Sean Penn in a new adaptation of All the King's Men. And he's set to produce Dexterity, in which he'll portray an upstate New York factory worker.

Neither of those parts requires him to be the next big thing. ''He may be fine being Ralph Fiennes,'' suggests one of the agents, linking Law to another comely Brit who has returned to smaller, more actorly projects since his English Patient hoopla (and the high-profile flop The Avengers). ''There's a lot less pressure. You don't have to fly around with security guards. You can have a more normal life.''

(Posted:11/19/04)

Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Horror Hound

I feel really sorry for Jude... i think he's stunning and i enjoyed Alfie. So i really don't see why he is'nt a bigger draw.

Maybe he's just choosing movies that don't have a super wide appeal. Like Alfie and Spy Captain.

Although I Heart Huckabees is doing well, and Closer will too.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:31 pm
College Boy Z

He's picking the wrong roles, to be honest. Sure, he may be a good actor in the movies he did, but were they actually movies that appealed enough to earn a good amount of cash? I don't think so.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:34 pm
New Server, Same X

Alfie was never destined to be a mega hit. Just because a British actor/actress stars in a movie, doesn't always equal hit (or an American pretending to be British, a la Bridget Jones). Sky Captain wasn't all that great to me, and it probably looked too kiddy to people. Let's be honest, the whole "just the actors are real" setting looked way too cheesy, not brilliant. What else was he in? I Heart Huckabees. Not even a wide release film. So, I don't think he's out yet, just down.

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:49 pm
Extraordinary

I know why he isnt a bigger star but i wont say because some here may bash me. :lol:

Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:54 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I think he's very talented, and I loved Sky Captain! I'm really mad I missed I Heart Huckabees, and I plan to see Alfie and of course Closer, which looks amazing, but will fail at the box office. He was also in The Talented Mr. Ripley...but I'm too lazy at the moment to see if that was a success.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:58 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Homo Dperious

He doesn't pick the right roles to be a star. Simple as that.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:34 pm
Profile ICQ
---------

In my opinion, he looks a bit annoying and wimpy. Almost like.... Clay Aiken... :shock:

OK, maybe not Clay Aiken...

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:48 pm
Homo Dperious

In my opinion, he looks a bit annoying and wimpy. Almost like.... Clay Aiken... :shock:

OK, maybe not Clay Aiken...

Yeah, I do agree with that. His popularity is probably confined to women.

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:51 pm
Profile ICQ
Draughty

What most stars have in common is an ability to become a sort of icon of "Decent man in a hostile world". Hanks had that, Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, and others. So did most of the classic stars like Grant, Bogart, Fonda etc.

Jude Law is good looking but there are tons of good looking men in the world. He doesn't project a sense of inner strength, decency and resolve. And he doesn't choose roles that allow him to be like that.

In Cold Mountain he just seemed out of place and limp. He gives me the impression when I see him that he is just in it for the money and chicks and couldn't care less about the quality and hopes nobody finds out. Which might be true of all stars, but you shouldn't have it written on your face like he does. :lol:

Also he just makes too many movies. Look at the early careers of stars like Brad Pitt and Tom Hanks, they didn't make 3 movies a year like Law. It's not just over exposure, it's lack of really committing to a project and giving it your all.

Wow that turned out to be longer than I expected and more thoughts than I intended. :)

Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]