Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next
 Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire - $290,013,036 
Extraordinary

fans should just accept that not everyone thought that PoA was as good as the fans themselves think it was

Okay. They still thought it was "less bad" than the other two.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Star Trek XI

1. Titanic - $600.8m
2. Star Wars - $461.0m
3. Shrek 2 - $441.2m
4. E.T. the Extra Terrestrial - $435.1m
5. The Phantom Menace - $431.1m
6. Spider-Man - $403.7m
7. Revenge of the Sith - $380.3m
8. Return of the King - $377.0m
9. Spider-Man 2 - $373.6m
10. The Passion of the Christ - $370.8m

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:31 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

fans should just accept that not everyone thought that PoA was as good as the fans themselves think it was

I'm not a fan. I disliked the series until Prisoner of Azkaban came out.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:38 pm
Commander and Chef

Not in theaters. Luckily, it plays night and day on HBO and the DVD outsold Chamber of Secrets (or so I read).

doesnt make a difference. people missed the 2nd one too. won't be coming after missing 2 sequels in a row.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

bABA wrote:

I'm not a fan. I disliked the series until Prisoner of Azkaban came out.

i said NOT EVERYONE. i never said EVERYONE. fans continue to say that EVERYONE thinks cept a select few who are retards.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

Easiest club to join, ever. I see $100+ for an opening.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:54 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

Jeff 42 wrote:
baumer72 wrote:
Jeff 42 wrote:
baumer72 wrote:
I think the last film will have the same effect that Reloaded had on Revolutions. The die hards will still flock to it but it won't do that well at the box office. Since I am lazy as well, I think the last film opened huge but ended with 247?? So I think you'll see a similar pattern with this one. It will open massively, meaning that 90-100 mill is possible, but it will fizzle out and make about 250-275. I think it will benefit from the summer weekdays so it might make more than the last one but not much.

So yes, 95 mill is a possiblity.

I am completely puzzled by this analogy. :-k

And for the record, I do think HP4 will open to about $95m.

What's puzzling about it? It will open with about 100 mill for the weekend, and have about a 2.5 multiplier.

HP3 was widely considered the best movie in the series. Reloaded had mixed WOM and was widely considered a disappointment, so Revolutions opened much lower and had absolutely horrendous legs. You're saying HP4 will have a similar opening and legs to HP3. How are the two situations at all comparable to each other?

by the fans my friend .. the fans .. and HP series never lost its fanbase ever .. so it doesn't make a difference

Not only by the fans, but by the reviewers as well. It also doesn't matter much. If it opens to $95+ million as baumer claims, there is no way that its legs will be as bad as the third movie's legs. It is the holiday season and its second weekend will be the Thanksgiving weekend. That means that if it opens to $95 million, in the worst case scenario, it'll have $180-185 million after ten days and will break $200 million in its third weekend. There is no way that it won't cross $250 million from that point on.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

The last HP film was not considered to be the best of the series. In fact I think it was considered to be the weakest. It's gross certainly shows that, at least in North America. I think the fan base for this one will come out in full force to give it it's giant opening, but ti will ultimately fall short of anything really signficant. It'll make it's nice 250 mill but not much more than that.

I don't like that people project their own opinions onto those of the general audiences. I remember the movie landed on your 10 Worst of 2004, so I am not surprised. It's alsways the same, like with crowd reports. Everytime a viewer liked the movie, their is cheering in his audiences, applause, great reception. Everytime the viewer didn't like the movie, the crowd is displeased and booing. Meh.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

COUNT ME IN. I really do think this will be the best "legged" movie with the best opening. I think this will be the next 300 million hit coming out of this year, next to ROTS and a surprise movie like we have every year. Personally, I think this years surprise movie will be Narnia, but im trailing off topic.

HEre are my general predictions:

Opening: 95 Million
Total: 320 Million

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:02 pm
Profile WWW
The French Dutch Boy

Baumer you are either joking, or delusional, or projecting your own opinions on the masses to support yourself, because Harry Potter 3 is widely considered the best of the three, among fans or regular audience, AND critics.

Metacritic
Harry Potter 1: 64
Harry Potter 2: 63
Harry Potter 3: 81

Rotten Tomatoes
Harry Potter 1: 79%
Harry Potter 2: 82%
Harry Potter 3: 89%

IMDB
Harry Potter 1: 7.2
Harry Potter 2: 7.3
Harry Potter 3: 7.8

And I know this sounds cliche, but honestly, word from friends and family, and my own personal opinion, all indicate that Harry Potter 3 is easily the most liked Harry Potter film yet. I was disappointed with the rigidity of Harry Potter 1 and 2, but then really liked Harry Potter 3. Harry Potter 3's merits can only help Harry Potter 4.

PEACE, Mike ;)

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:18 pm
MISSING IN ACTION

I loved Harry Potter 3. It really felt original, despite being based off a book. It felt like a movie FINALLY, and sort finally ventured away from being so SUPER LOYAL to the book. IF the 4th one is even close to the 3rd one, it should do well.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:22 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Well and Batman fans should just accept that not everybody thought that Begins was as good as the fans themselves think it was... but that doesn't stop people from generally thinking it was better.

You are letting your disappointment with the 3rd Potter cloud your judgement.

It is definately considered to be the most quality outting of the movie series.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:40 pm
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

bABA wrote:

Well and Batman fans should just accept that not everybody thought that Begins was as good as the fans themselves think it was... but that doesn't stop people from generally thinking it was better.

You are letting your disappointment with the 3rd Potter cloud your judgement.

It is definately considered to be the most quality outting of the movie series.

=D>

POTTER HEADS AGAINST BABA

We're PHAB.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

IMO HP3 was far and away the best film so far in the series,but my family members who liked the first 2 did not like it at all.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

I think if your that loyal hardcore Harry Potter fan, youw ould have hated the 3rd one...for being so..unpotterish. But as a movie, it is a wonderfully made film.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I understand that bABA and baumer didn't like Potter 3, I respect that.

But Potter 3 is generally considered to be the best of the films by fans and non fans alike.

Of course there are some who disagree, and some who prefer Columbus' films but...

There comes a point where opinions somewhat fade away and you have to pay attention to what's going on. I hate Batman Begins (hate is a strong word...) and Spider-Man but I could never deny that those films aren't popular.

Yeah the other Potter films made more money, but Spider-Man 2 is generally considered to be a better film than Spider-Man in the same way that Potter 3 is generally considered to be better than the other two.

Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
je vois l'avenir

As for the third, I'm loved it the most. I'm a huge fan, but didn't really like the first two, but the third was amazing, also the only one I saw in theatres.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:49 am
Site Owner

I got owned by:
Everyone in the HP 95+ Club

Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:55 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I always overpredict the Potter franchise, but I'm always hopeful. I hope inflation and the good reaction from the 3rd film reverses the movie gross trend for Goblet :wink:

My prediction now:

Opening: 100 million
Total: 270 million

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:38 am
I just lost the game

insomniacdude wrote:
bABA wrote:
Jeff 42 wrote:
HP3 was widely considered the best movie in the series. Reloaded had mixed WOM and was widely considered a disappointment, so Revolutions opened much lower and had absolutely horrendous legs. You're saying HP4 will have a similar opening and legs to HP3. How are the two situations at all comparable to each other?

by the fans my friend .. the fans .. and HP series never lost its fanbase ever .. so it doesn't make a difference

The CORE fanbase never left. But where do you think the $310 million came from for the first movie? Part of the casual fanbase had left after the first and/or second movie. I think the third one almost completely redeems it for a majority of the fans that were lost in the Columbus mess.

thank you for quoting me and repeating what i said myself. the core fanbase never left. the people who left were not casual fans but those that that wanted to know what this potter business is all about. after missing out on the last 2 movies, why they hell would they decide to come back? cause the 3rd was good? Newsflash: They never saw the 3rd one.

There's a big difference between casual fans and core fans. HP3 was dwindling down to its core fanbase. The mere fact that, as several cited sources have confirmed, WOM on this film was better than that of either of the first films. I don't have the article to confirm this, but I read somewhere that POA was outselling COS but, more importantly, rental figures were significantly higher. Do you think that it was just a bunch of fans who decided to buy a few extra copies? Or maybe some of the lost fans were intrigued by the dazzling reviews and word of mouth the film was getting to give it a shot.

Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:53 am
You must have big rats

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire $95+ million opening weekend club memebers:

Dr. Lecter
The Dark Shape
Insomniacdude
Flava'd‡
publicenemy#1
xiayun
Mike Q.
Samweis Gamdschie
baumer72
rhyno
Jeff 42
Eagle
Loyalfromlondon
scottb
Chris
are-why-a-en
Misutaa Supaakoru
JMorphin

Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:47 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

With the huge booksales of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, I am more convinced than ever that the 4th movie will easily open to $95+ million. I have it pegged at $98 million at the moment.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Opening: 96.5
Total: 274.9 (2.85)

Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

With the huge sales of the Half-Blood Prince, and the fact that this should get a theater count over 4,000, with a $23,000-$25,000 PTA (similar to all the other movies), $95 million is definitely within reach.

$96 million opening, $268 million total.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:57 pm
Lord of filth

I'm really on the fence... but I'll do it.

Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1011 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 41  Next