Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Kinda Being Singles in 2019 (#1!) 
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (40-26)
Yo girl dipped my tarter sauce so she ate my dick like a fishstick

22. Sanguine Paradise by Lil Uzi Vert

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:05 pm
The Kramer

Traces left behind they lead and let remind It's only a matter of time

21. New Comedown by Plague Vendor

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:12 pm
The Kramer

25. Dua Lipa won the best new artist grammy a year ago, and cashed in on that a few months later with this mega club banger. It might actually be the catchiest song on this entire top 50. And I love the attitude of the song. Her ex is all like “well I don’t want you but I’m also not cool with you being with someone else” and fuck that noise. Just stay home and wank if you can’t handle it.

24. Another best new artist representative here, although Maggie will be competing at the 2020 grammys against the likes of Billie Eilish and Lizzo (and Yola from the #48 song!) So the odds are not in her favor but I’d love to see her pull the upset. Give A Little kicks off the album in the best way, with a song that is both romantic and politically savvy. It could just be two damaged people trying to find each other, but the darkest days could refer to something well … darker. She says she was inspired by the youth of america’s rallying against gun culture, particularly when the schools across America had a walk out. I suppose it’s about finding what you can do to solve a problem rather than just soak in it.

23. Despite producing a pair of top ten hits, I feel like Ed Sheeran’s latest effort was overlooked by many. It only sold about half as well as his previous one, despite the quality being about the same. I think people just saw it as an excuse for Ed to work with his friends and that if any good music came out of it, all the better. Well good news, a lot of good pop songs came out of it! None better than South of the Border here featuring an extremely erotic verse from Camila and very game Cardi B. I’m watching the video and am a little lost though, it seems like they’re spies on a mission or something, but then they are kidnapping and hurting people and it seems like Cardi B is the real hero? Torture isn’t cool, even for secret agent pop stars.

22. Lil Uzi Vert loves to use the autotune, much like many of his peers in the hip-hop world of 2019. And to many, this might seem like just another hip-pop track. But to those of us who had a super nintendo, and are fans of Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest, this song is not only a flashback, but also gets Uzi mass geek respect. Anybody can talk about how great Diddy and Dixie are (though he doesn’t) but to perfectly capture the feel of the Bramble Blast level is a much bigger accomplishment.

21. How could anyone listen to New Comedown and not just get really pumped up? Those drums, that hook, my goodness I want to start a mosh pit right here in my room. My cat Brown Bear probably wouldn’t be too crazy about that, but he doesn’t pay the rent. I’m not totally sure whether this song is about drugs or just a lover that is constantly negging you (like Kylo Ren), but I guess the two aren’t so different.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:13 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (40-21)
Quick update before Rise of Skywalker.

No Disco Star Wars though

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:53 pm
The Kramer

My dawg is gone and the result is to have my teflon

20. Speedboat by Denzel Curry

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:02 pm
The Kramer

Pack in the mall it's gone, she like how I smell - cologne

19. Suge by DaBaby

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:12 pm
The Kramer

Am I bad for you? Cause I live for the fire and the rain and the drama too

18. Too Much by Carly Rae Jepsen

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm
The Kramer

20. Denzel Curry is probably better known for being a hype rapper, but on his latest album ZUU he calmed down a little to get his lyrics out there. Not quite to the point where he’s going bad with his horses in the back, this is more like Vince Staples. It’s about comparing the life you had to the life you have now, and how even though the money is nice (very nice) there can still be some tragic shit going on (ask XXXTentacion). And it can all go away. The video is more like a mini movie that has the song in the background, not the best display of the song, but it was pretty good anyways.

19. And one spot later we have our top hip-hop song of the year. A little sad since Sicko Mode went all the way to #2 last year, but it is what it is. And even though it is lower than normal, DaBaby definitely ran the genre this year, so this song deserves the crown. Suge is about a dream, one that could be considered unrealistic and even satirical had DaBaby not used this song to actually become much closer to what he dreamed of. Suge Knight was a very young CEO, only in his mid 20s, younger than DaBaby is now. Most cannot achieve that in such a short time (Suge also used some morally questionable methods) but it makes you wonder why we can’t at least have a piece of it.

18. I didn’t think it was possible to have too much Carly Rae Jepsen. And even after watching a video with like 10 of them, I will stick by that. Though, I suppose if one had been at it for awhile, already over the fact they were with CRJ, then maybe it is a different story. But musically, it is a big part of her appeal. Can’t make these songs if feel it just a little bit, gotta go all in and even more.

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:15 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (25-18)
I was gonna post more last night but Rise of Skywalker had me too conflicted between dark and light. There is no middle option anymore.

Anyways, another small update because I don't have a lot of time to work with. :D :er:

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:23 pm
The Kramer

There's stains on your sweater, you'd think you know better

17. I Dare You by The Regrettes

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:34 pm
The Kramer

It's just a numbers game in my mind

16. Lottery by Jade Bird

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:35 pm
The Kramer

Fifty acres and a Model A right in the middle of Trump country

15. This Land by Gary Clark Jr.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm
The Kramer

17. I Dare You is the best Strokes song in seven years. That it is not by The Strokes is regrettable, but then you realize this band is called The Regrettes and everything fits into place. Comparisons aside, this is just a really fun song, I love the lyrics in the hook. Lydia Night and the gals (there is one guy but he’s on drums - only Kim Pine is happy about that) bring the sun, and that’s kinda wild.

16. Maybe love really is just a numbers game and if you play enough then eventually you’ll score the big winner. However, we all know that’s not how the lottery works, and that most people will never win the big one, only content by the rush that comes from smaller prizes. Maybe I’m just picking holes in her theory because the line “he’s 30, how messed up is that?” makes me feel old. But that’s ok. She is still one of the best new artists of the year.

15. This should have been used in the Watchmen show. Gary Clark learns that, even though he has become rich and successful, that doesn’t necessarily equate to having an open invitation at all parties. So it is understandable that he is paranoid and pissed off. And while the cause of his anger may be despicable, fuck all those people, it has lead to Rocker Gary Clark returning from his trip to church on this last album. I think this will be his defining song and hopefully inspire some people (you know who) to not act like a bunch of assholes all the time.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (20-15)
Lottery feels like a song that plays in IKEA

Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:19 pm
The Kramer

Shack wrote:
Lottery feels like a song that plays in IKEA
I did hear it at my bank the other day. :funny:

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:32 pm
The Kramer

Make your mama sad type, make your girlfriend mad tight, might seduce your dad type

14. Bad Guy by Billie Eilish

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:39 pm
The Kramer

I'm finally holding on to letting go

13. Unsainted by Slipknot

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:45 pm
The Kramer

So numb I don't feel it inside me

12. Icy by Kim Petras

Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:53 pm
The Kramer

Collapse my veins wearing beautiful shoes

11. It's Not Living (If It's Not With You) by The 1975

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:01 pm
The Kramer

14. Bad Guy was not my favorite song on her album the first time I went through. Maybe not even top 3. But if we’re talking about singles that defined the year - this is the one. Billie took the entire world in her hands this year, with her unconventional singing style and appeal to fans of any genre. And even though it is meant to semi-ironic, the dance breakdown hook in this song is amazing and will live forever. In fifty years, when music scholars look back on 2019, Bad Guy will be the first song they bring up. If it is already this much of a grower (and stayer) after only a few months then history will surely be very kind to it.

13. Slipknot might just be my band of the year. Not only for all the great songs they put out this year, but how those great songs encouraged me to go back and give their old catalog another chance and gdamn are those first few albums good - and hard as fuck. Corey Taylor and his stable of masked maniacs (including the brand new and mysterious Tortilla Man) refound that energy this year and channeled it so damn well. This song is also pretty heavy thematically, almost a reaction to the plague of suicides in the rock world over the past few years.

12. This was the year when Kim Petras went from a very talented queer representation pick to a full blown pop idol. Well maybe not quite yet, she still needs to do some charting, but the path is laid out. Her music just reeks of sexual atmosphere, even on songs about breaking up with people, as if she’s reflecting on the past whilst already with a new lover. Kim also made a brilliant move of taking all of her singles that she was releasing individually and just sticking on an album together. I wish everybody would do this (well the people who don’t make traditional albums that is) cause it certainly makes consumption much easier.

11. It’s Not Living was released on a 2018 album, and I normally would have let the past die, but much like JJ Abrams I’m bringing it back up. Though, Brief Inquiry did launch very late in the year and didn’t give me time to properly appreciate this one. Anyways, this is big uppity arena pop anthem about being in love .. with heroin. The contrast between the music and lyrics is so extreme yet works so well, because it does bring you into his world and make you understand why someone who already has so much would need something so awful. When we think of heroin addicts, the first face that pops up is probably Bubbles from The Wire, who does it just to get by in life. But those are just the ones who make it obvious. Matt even looks upon the life critically, framing the verses of the song against some guy named Danny, but we know that Danny might as well be him.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:02 pm
The Kramer

Recap #2

11. Its Not Living If Its Not With You - The 1975
12. Icy - Kim Petras
13. Unsainted - Slipknot
14. Bad Guy - Billie Eilish
15. This Land - Gary Clark
16. Lottery - Jade Bird
17. I dare you - The Regrettes
18. Too Much - Carly Rae Jepsen
19. Suge - DaBaby
20. Speedboat - Denzel Curry
21. New Comedown - Plague Vendor
22. Sanguine Paradise - Lil Uzi Vert
23. South of the Border - Ed Sheeran
24. Give A Little - Maggie Rogers
25. Don’t Start Now - Dua Lipa
26. GIRL - Marren Morris
27. Taste of Regret - Of Mice and Men
28. Ghost - Au/Ra x Alan Walker
29. Low - Wage War
30. Mantra - Bring Me The Horizon
31. Harmony Hall - Vampire Weekend
32. Follow God - Kanye West
33. 101 FM - Little Simz
34. Hardly To Blame - Sheer Mag
35. Turn the Light - Danger Mouse
36. All The Good Girls Go To Hell - Billie Eilish
37. You’re Different - The Shelters
38. 7 Rings - Ariana Grande
39. Lo/Hi - The Black Keys
40, Drunk II - Mannaquin Pussy
41. I’ll Be Back Someday - Tegan & Sara
42. Radio - Rammstein
43. Speechless - Naomi Scott
44. Crowbar - Frank Carter
45. Never Really Over - Katy Perry
46. Gone - Charli XCX
47. Pa Pa Ya - Babymetal
48. Faraway Look - Yola
49. Blinding Lights - The Weeknd
50. Hard Place - HER

Top ten will start a little bit later. And there will be a twist!

Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:05 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: The Flava'd Fifty Part 6: Being a Single in 2019 (20-11)
Top ten is soon. And the special twist is … I'm abolishing the "must have a music video" rule! Now I know you're thinking "won't this mess everything up and make the stipulation/entire list pointless" and the answer is yes. But also no. Only three songs were changed, two of which were by the same artists. The rest of the chart would certainly look a lot different, but it'd just be the same ten artists repeating over and over again. I didn't want that, but now I think this is the best of both worlds. There's a lot of diversity and we still get the actual best songs of the year.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:51 pm
The Kramer

You got me off track got me thinkin' abstract

10. Daphne Blue by The Band CAMINO

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:59 pm
The Kramer

Gravity seems to be the only thing pulling me

9. NASA by Ariana Grande

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:13 am
The Kramer

I know that you would crank this song Air-guitaring with your headphones on

8. The End Of The Game by Weezer

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next