Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flava'd and Fifty: 2018 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Flava'd and Fifty: 2018
I find God is a Woman boring compared to No Tears Left to Cry and Thank u, next

I am one of the few that found Revival to be the good Eminem and Kamikaze disappointing

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:27 pm
Hold the door!

God is a Oman doesn’t hold up as well as her other hits from this year, but it’s still a worthy inclusion.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:45 pm
The Kramer

"Fortune teller told me no more last chances, you got no future at all"

17. Desperate Man by Eric Church

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:58 pm
The Kramer

"There's a little part of me that's got the fear of missing out"

16. Lonely Weekend by Kacey Musgraves

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:00 pm
The Kramer

"I don't even know what I'm doing here, why won't you just tell me? Cause I'd rather be lonely"

15. Television Romance by Pale Waves

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:05 pm
The Kramer

"Sing your hearts out, sing it loud, make me happy, make me proud"

14. Black Holes (Solid Ground) by The Blue Stones

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:15 pm
The Kramer

Rejoice! It's a set full of country and new artists lol.

Eric Church is The Man when it comes to country music. He is actually the one who broke my country cherry (I don't count Taylor) and made me give the whole genre a reexamination. And it's mostly because of the way he infuses elements of other genres into his sounds. Desperate Man is basically the best Rolling Stones song since the 70s.

Kacey is running the country game on the female side. Her first two albums were cute and all, but Golden Hour is the real deal. Lonely Weekend is a light pop song, but she sells it amazing and I think we can all relate to the feeling. I've had plenty of times where I passed on doing something with friends that I was pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy. But then you are sitting around later thinking about it, maybe I would have had a good time? Probably not, but that's the part of you with the fear of missing out.

Pale Waves are my best new artist of 2018. They have a similar 80s electro pop-rocking sound that many of my favorite new artists have, but Heather brings something to the table that so few can - a real reason to be sad. Her brothers suicide still haunts her even outside of the songs dedicated to him. A Television Romance is something everyone wants, Jim and Pam were so cute! But she sees that it isn't a reality and that trying to make it so is a waste of time, and time is a precious commodity.

Blue Stones are also a new band who such a badass song that I feel bad not putting it higher than 14. But hey, it had it go somewhere. They are a two piece outfit, guitar and drums, and are almost like a bluesy version of Royal Blood. It's impressive how often they can shift tones, not only from song to song, but within the same track as Black Holes shows.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:28 pm
The Kramer

I was gonna finish the teens yesterday but obviously didn't get around to it. So it's time for an a special extra update.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:23 pm
The Kramer

"I'ma roll these dice with a song tonight and I'm gonna whip these blues away"

13. If Your Prayers Don't Get To Heaven by Brian Fallon

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:25 pm
The Kramer

"A cause, an effect, a rejoice, a regret"

12. Violence by Parquet Courts

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:26 pm
The Kramer

"I fight pain and hurricanes, today I wept, I'm trying to fight back tears, flood on my doorsteps"

11. Pray For Me by The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:29 pm
The Kramer

Brian Fallon, of The Gaslight Anthem, continues to roll with his solo career. I think I preferred the Painkillers album a bit more, but Prayers is probably my new favorite song from, even over The '59 Sound. I love sounds that paint pictures in my mind, and this down and out guy meeting and dancing and swinging around a juke-box bar with a new girl who might be able to lift his spirits back into place is wonderful imagery.

What do you do when woken? Well do an angry campaign rally obviously. You can see Parquet Courts on stage in front of a podium ranting about up-and-coming neighborhoods (where are they coming from?) Dangermouse adds in a super smooth guitar riff and an ear-worm of a hook that one wouldn't expect in a "song" like this.

I sure Pray For Me had been put in the end credits of Panther. It fits so well as a song of victory, but a costly victory. All The Stars, while good, is just like hey look how great our movie was. The beat is so good and it works equally well for The Weeknd's singing and Kendrick's rapping. The Black Panther soundtrack was loaded with hot tracks (I should have had X and Big Shot on here but those final cuts are always tough), but the last one still stands tallest at the end, just as T'Challa did.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:37 pm
Hold the door!

All the Stars is much better. Pray for Me is super generic and sounds like a remake of Starboy.

Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:34 pm
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
All the Stars is much better. Pray for Me is super generic and sounds like a remake of Starboy.
You've said this before, and I guess the beats are kinda similar. But Starboy sounds like a Weekend song while PFM sounds like a Kendrick song to me if that makes sense. And I obviously like one artist much more than the other. :P

Merry Christmas to all by the way. I'm done with all my stuff and ready to start the top ten!

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:22 am
The Kramer

"When a horse wants to run there ain't no sense in closing the gate"

10. Space Cowboy by Kacey Musgraves

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:24 am
The Kramer

"And the ones who are weak cry carry me, And the ones who are strong cry let me go, let me go"

9. Dressed to Suppress by Metric

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:31 am
The Kramer

"I just look, don't feel like myself at all, and I'm just waiting for the axe to fall"

8. Underline the Black by Metric

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:35 am
The Kramer

"But I only fuck with the ones who are rare enough, real enough, down to keep goin"

7. 5 in the Morning by Charli XCX

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:38 am
The Kramer

Kacey Musgrave might be the first country artist to ever pull a horse metaphor that I didn't immediately facepalm after. I really don't like talking about horses (or counties). But even though Kacey sings the words as Space, Cowboy there is a cosmic feeling to this song. Probably because she dropped acid for the first time before writing this album. See kids, drugs are good. I love Spacey Kacey.

Uh-oh, two Metric songs in the top ten already. Things could get ugly here, or did I put a restriction on how many songs one artist can have? Would Metric have had 7 songs in the top 25 without it? Uhhhh … maybe? Let's focus on these two though. Dressed to Suppress captures the overall theme of the album, a shared melancholy no matter what your position or experiences in life have been. And ain't that the truth. We crazy humans will find reasons to be sad even if one doesn't exist. Yet it's still an uplifting album, as knowing that others are going through the same thing can help with your own anxiety. Emily goes back and forth between being the weak one and strong one personality throughout the album. On UtB she views herself in the strong category, walking around with everyone thinking she just has the best life in the whole because shes in this awesome band. But she is actually falling apart, slugging through her life while waiting for something bad to happen. Maybe she would have been happier without achieving her dream? But again she uplifts the bleak situation, if she can navigate the alleys that wind in the back of her mind then so can we.

Charli XCX is the best at putting sex into a song. Feels weird saying that after going on and on about depression, but hey sometimes I want a different look. This song isn't even about sex, she ain't starving, it's a magnetic aura that stays around her. Plus I'm usually up at 5 am and sure wouldn't mind that kind of company.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:56 am
The Kramer

My day is actually pretty light today since I did most of the family stuff yesterday. Might go all the way down and then post #1 tomorrow. We shall see.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:49 pm
The Kramer

"I was a bad boy"

6. She by Ty Segall

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:51 pm
The Kramer

"Like he's the executioner and she's the queen, and he's the one whose neck is in the guillotine"

5. She's Kerosene by The Interrupters

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:53 pm
The Kramer

"I feel the energy from my head to my feet, there's an anger or passion empowering me"

4. Bad Listener by Beartooth

Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:56 pm
The Kramer

She is a shorter (though still six minutes long) and harder version of And, Goodnight. Just jamming the fuck out with only about ten different words spoken the entire time. Ty's album actually isn't all like this, there's a lot of sonic diversity on the album. Check out "My Lady Is On Fire" for a smooth jazzy rock song or "Despoiler Of Cadaver" for a weird electro time. She tops the album by being the Sam Jackson of rock songs though, a bad motherfucker.

I've never been a big fan of ska music. Sure Sublime is amazing and Rancid No Doubt, etc.. had some good songs but the horn-heavy punk rock rubs me the wrong way when played over an extensive period. She's Kerosene (and some other songs on this album) is one that I can play over and over, and had a daily streak of a few weeks. It's fun to party with and it gets me motivated. And while they hopefully were burned for the first time, I highly doubt it, and I bet next album we get I'm Kerosene. :P

I was a little disappointed that Beartooth came back less Aggressive and sounded more like the old A Bear To Remember. Still a good album, but not an A+. Luckily for us, one Highly Aggressive song still managed to get through. One that questions the purpose of rock in today's scene and then punches the person who asked in the face. I suppose he is talking to his parents in this song, but I think we can all apply it to someone who doubts us. I will also be banging my head till my brain rots.

Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:07 pm
The Kramer

2 and 3 coming up, will most likely post #1 when I wake up early tomorrow. But maybe I will finish tonight if I get bored.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next